• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Brother US 16 |OT| Now in HD! (Unmarked Spoilers, Read OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosur

Is there no kind of background check to get on this show? I mean, it shouldn't be that hard to go through someone's IG to make sure they aren't a racist or homophobe. Isn't that Kassting's job?

An awful part of me kind of assumes they did it on purpose. Wasn't last season shit in the ratings before they finally gave Aaryn her racist montage? It was the only thing that got "normal" press to talk about the show and definitely boosted viewership.

Like others have said, I'm 100% behind people with asshole views if it's just a product of their environment and they can use this as a chance to learn and grow. But if you're running around using the term "monkey" and shit like that, fuck off there's no hope for you.

DMeisterJ

Banned
An awful part of me kind of assumes they did it on purpose. Wasn't last season shit in the ratings before they finally gave Aaryn her racist montage? It was the only thing that got "normal" press to talk about the show and definitely boosted viewership.

Like others have said, I'm 100% behind people with asshole views if it's just a product of their environment and they can use this as a chance to learn and grow. But if you're running around using the term "monkey" and shit like that, fuck off there's no hope for you.

Ratings started off bad because for some odd reason they put the show on Tuesday and Wednesday, rather than it's normal time slot. When they switched it back, ratings bounced back.

UberTag

Two other points. Aaryn was 22 years old when she entered the BB House so you could kind of make that "still a chance to learn and grow" argument. Caleb is 26. 4 years might not seem like much but he's much more likely to be set in his ways and his attitude at this point.

Secondly, Caleb was spouting that hateful trash on Instagram of his own volition in a low-pressure environment with no provocation. At least Aaryn waited until she was in a high-stress situation before she let her racist flag fly.

And not only that but Caleb's a homophobe on top of everything else. There's little to no redeeming him. Or Robyn Kass, for that matter.

Rob Has a Podcast - Big Brother 16 Season Preview & BB16 Cast Assessment - 3 Hours of Preview Content Here

ecurbj

YhmzVRn.jpg

Here is the photo of what he said (ugh):
D44vk6f.jpg

The problem is that Caleb is going to be under MASSIVE scrutiny now. Alison Grodner & Rich Meehan need to be extremely honest and tell him the situation that is developing at the moment and alert him. He will be very closely watched by feedsters now that this has came out. Anything he says will be judged heavily. Any whims of racism, bigotry, sexism, or homophobia will be instantly judged with greater light. He doesn't have to act like a 'democrat', but he needs to make sure what comes out his mouth cannot be misinterpreted as bigtotry as best he can.

The situation is still not that big and I don't think this will go to national levels like the racism last season yet, but if he begins being bigotted, then yes, there could be more disastrous consequences this year I'd imagine like being pulled from the game, then it will look even worse for Big Brother to have 2 STRAIGHT YEARS OF RACISM. It looks awful.

The situation is still not that big and I don't think this will go to national levels like the racism last season yet, but if he begins being bigotted, then yes, there could be more disastrous consequences this year I'd imagine like being pulled from the game, then it will look even worse for Big Brother to have 2 STRAIGHT YEARS OF RACISM. It looks awful.

unless they changed the rules before the game started (which they should have, if they didn't), and make those new rules extremely clear to both the houseguests and the viewers, this would be terrible for the game long-term, and completely destroy any integrity it's got left.

ideally, production got together last season, figured out what kind of show they want to be making (because ever since Grodner/Meehan took over in season eight I'm not sure they have any clue at all. BB tries to be like five different shows at once and fails at all of them in pretty big ways), and added new rules and punishments. if they didn't, though, that's on them and not caleb.

Updated the OP with an OT graphic and cast photos thanks to Cory64. Happened to go out of town, right when everything starting coming out, for a wedding.

I'm kind of mixed on the cast from first impressions. I'm kind of interested in seeing how a few players play (Zach, Christine, Frankie, and Nicole mostly), but so many of these damn players seem to not care about winning which makes me think it will be a whole season of people wanting to get to the jury. I also really hate any advantage Frankie will most certainly win when given the opportunity by America.

It also seems like Grodner's setting herself up for another season of controversy. There's so many possible fights brewing already with the cast just from their Bio's and interviews. I'm guessing the team aspect will just make it worse.

Can't wait for the feeds to start!

UberTag

I'm actually tentative about forking out for the live feeds this time around.

So many models.
So many recruits.
So many people wanting to just be liked and make it to jury.
So many people not caring about winning the game.
So many people barely familiar with Big Brother at all.

We've got rigs already in place to favor Frankie.
We've got a racist/homophobe already outed.

I'm finding it hard to give CBS my money just now even though HD is a long overdue improvement.
With the feeds not kicking off until Thursday, I may just wait until the shows start airing to make a decision.

I'm actually tentative about forking out for the live feeds this time around.

So many models.
So many recruits.
So many people wanting to just be liked and make it to jury.
So many people not caring about winning the game.
So many people barely familiar with Big Brother at all.

We've got rigs already in place to favor Frankie.
We've got a racist/homophobe already outed.

I'm finding it hard to give CBS my money just now even though HD is a long overdue improvement.
With the feeds not kicking off until Thursday, I may just wait until the shows start airing to make a decision.

I'm doing the same thing. Last season left a REAL bad taste in my mouth, and the over gimmicky nature of the new changes, Frankie's built in huge advantage with potential America votes, and some lackluster cast interviews are already turning me off this season before it even starts

Ovid

I'm doing the same thing. Last season left a REAL bad taste in my mouth, and the over gimmicky nature of the new changes, Frankie's built in huge advantage with potential America votes, and some lackluster cast interviews are already turning me off this season before it even starts
I bought the feeds again. I'm looking forward to Thursday.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
That's largely due to Arisa knowing how to handle a crowd and not being a robot like Julie.

Oh god no. Why?

Only redeeming factor is free feeds. If that's still a thing. The host and the stupid phone calls are terrible.

Arisa is a terrible host but she's a ton more personable between takes. It's so weird because she should use those skills on camera.

What is good about BBCAN is there isn't as much petty shit like in the US. Not everyone is a model or a plant or whatever. People actually get along and the alliances are actually pretty decent. It's more polite when shit isnt going down. Plus I love the dynamic of provincial differences (Newfoundlanders are hilarious).

Call it Canadian pride or naievity but I very much appreciate the maturity of the house vs the "I wanna be famous" attitude of the US version. Gary as a major exception. Production was super rigged towards him and it was so stupid that they gave him his own show as a result of season one.

That, and production in BBCAN is relatively fresh. We get great twists and I bet BBUS will lift quite a few ideas again this season.

There were no phone calls in season 2.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
YhmzVRn.jpg

D44vk6f.jpg

The problem is that Caleb is going to be under MASSIVE scrutiny now. Alison Grodner & Rich Meehan need to be extremely honest and tell him the situation that is developing at the moment and alert him. He will be very closely watched by feedsters now that this has came out. Anything he says will be judged heavily. Any whims of racism, bigotry, sexism, or homophobia will be instantly judged with greater light. He doesn't have to act like a 'democrat', but he needs to make sure what comes out his mouth cannot be misinterpreted as bigtotry as best he can.

Ugh, a mess. Dropping him from my early "top four" instantly, hope he goes week one. They need to set a precedent on BB US and lay down new rules, that bigotry, racism, homophobia or other forms of abuse = instant eviction. Why this isn't already a thing confounds me.
And if Caleb starts up, I hope unlike last year, there's someone with a backbone on this cast that will very vocally stand up to him, not sit idly by like last year's godawful cast did (bunch of wimps).

Psykoboy2

D44vk6f.jpg

The situation is still not that big and I don't think this will go to national levels like the racism last season yet,

I'd agree with you since he said this outside of the house and it's been a while since he said it.

Except, he used the word "fags" and called a black guy a monkey and associated it with with a religion. That's ON TOP of it being directed at the US President (not the "fag" part).

I don't think I'll ever be at a point where I don't get the feeds. It's the best background noise of the summer.

This. They could probably have a full on Klan rally in the house while systematically agreeing who gets evicted and who wins in an orderly discussion and I'd still get the feeds. I've had them every year since season 3, no reason to stop now.

bb16-groups-of-eight-move-in-00.jpg

I guess the two night premieres are to introduce the two seperate teams? The two memory walls and now the premiere introducing two groups of 8 seperately really seems to imply teams.

UberTag

Team A: Racists Team B:Bigots?

I'm more interested in how the teams will function. How are nom's effected and how is POV changed if at all?
By most accounts, there are two HOHs. Each HOH from each team selects two nominees from the opposing team. Battle of the Block comp takes place. Winning team's nominees hold. Winning HOH moves into the HOH room. POV then takes place where the nominees can win immunity for themselves. Replacement nominee can be the HOH of the team that lost the Battle of the Block. Team America votes to nullify any Frankie Grande nominations. Eviction vote happens on Thursday between whomever is left.

By most accounts, there are two HOHs. Each HOH from each team selects two nominees from the opposing team. Battle of the Block comp takes place. Winning team's nominees hold. Winning HOH moves into the HOH room. POV then takes place where the nominees can win immunity for themselves. Replacement nominee can be the HOH of the team that lost the Battle of the Block. Team America votes to nullify any Frankie Grande nominations. Eviction vote happens on Thursday between whomever is left.

I'm hoping it's more complex than this. Seems like a dumb easy way to do teams and void two nominees without anything to gain strategy wise. Which wouldn't really be a surprise but I still hold out hope.

Arisa is a terrible host but she's a ton more personable between takes. It's so weird because she should use those skills on camera.

What is good about BBCAN is there isn't as much petty shit like in the US. Not everyone is a model or a plant or whatever. People actually get along and the alliances are actually pretty decent. It's more polite when shit isnt going down. Plus I love the dynamic of provincial differences (Newfoundlanders are hilarious).

I think BBCan 2 actually had some of the best game play of all versions in recent years.

UberTag

I'm hoping it's more complex than this. Seems like a dumb easy way to do teams and void two nominees without anything to gain strategy wise. Which wouldn't really be a surprise but I still hold out hope.
I think the complexity may be that they randomize the teams after a couple weeks once the house has adjusted to the new gimmick.
Either way I doubt the team concept lasts any longer than the coach's gimmick did two seasons ago.

Dinosur

The question I want answered:

If someone plays the PoV does the current HoH have to re-nom a replacement from the other team or can he/she drama dick someone from their side?

UberTag

The question I want answered:

If someone plays the PoV does the current HoH have to re-nom a replacement from the other team or can he/she drama dick someone from their side?
I would assume they would have to re-nom someone from the other team.
Would kind of demotivate people to go all out in the Battle of the Block if they could still wind up on the block as a replacement nominee even if they're on the winning side.
We'll have a better idea on Wednesday night.

I would assume they would have to re-nom someone from the other team.
Would kind of demotivate people to go all out in the Battle of the Block if they could still wind up on the block as a replacement nominee even if they're on the winning side.
We'll have a better idea on Wednesday night.

I'm guessing we may not hear much about the twist until Thursday if they're taking two days to intruce people. If they also staggered the move in that'd be even more of a reason we wouldn't know until then.

Parch

I think BBCan 2 actually had some of the best game play of all versions in recent years.
I was surprised how many of the players had a solid strategy and were very knowledgeable about BB tactics. They cast a lot of strategic players and they came to play.

Let's see how many of this latest American cast actually has a clue.

UberTag

I was surprised how many of the players had a solid strategy and were very knowledgeable about BB tactics. They cast a lot of strategic players and they came to play.

Let's see how many of this latest American cast actually has a clue.
Given how most of them are recruits and were clearly cast because they didn't have a clue how to play Big Brother, I wouldn't expect much.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
*sigh* I see y'all dragging Rachel. I swear I must be her only fan on this green Earth :(
She's got personality to spare, and came back and won with all the odds stacked against her. What you see as annoying, I see as lovable trainwreck and super entertaining. If I get even ONE cast member this year with 25% of Rachel's personality I would consider the season worth watching. Rachel = BBUS LEGEND and you will all deal
iw5MF3EPy1QKa.gif

tumblr_lqvk2ppxFb1qzl6js.gif

*sigh* I see y'all dragging Rachel. I swear I must be her only fan on this green Earth :(
She's got personality to spare, and came back and won with all the odds stacked against her. What you see as annoying, I see as lovable trainwreck and super entertaining. If I get even ONE cast member this year with 25% of Rachel's personality I would consider the season worth watching. Rachel = BBUS LEGEND and you will all deal
iw5MF3EPy1QKa.gif

tumblr_lqvk2ppxFb1qzl6js.gif

Rachel is fine, there was just too much of her there for awhile. She's a headcase, emotional, brings drama, and is a crazy competator. She's incredible casting

DMeisterJ

Banned
Rachel and Britney are the best casting choices this side of BB (post BB7). I'd throw Shelly in (for the pure mind-fuckery), and the stunt casting of Dick and Dani as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom