• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada Poligaf - The Wrath of Harperland

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

It's true though. Renamed the government from "Government of Canada" to "Harper Government", changed the red and white colors of the Weather Office website to Blue, and probably even designed the Jets' ugly logo, among so many other things.

Not to mention the advertising campaign against Trudeau ready to go before he had even been selected

Azih

Yup heard a Trudeau attack ad on the radio yesterday and shook my head. It's incredibly ugly politics but blanket FUD worked against Dion and Ignatieff so why wouldn't they try it against Trudeau.

http://www.ipolitics.ca/2015/01/16/the-ekos-poll-suddenly-its-all-about-the-economy/

Picture-2.png

new poll. Interesting to see that Conservative uptick that coincides with the two terror attacks on home soil and international events.

interesting how talks about the drop of gasprices affecting the economy has removed that uptick and re-leveled the Liberals narrowly in the lead

lacinius

SunNewsNetwrok was under the ownership of future Parti Quebecois Leader; Pierre-Karl Peladeau.

Now that PKP is under a leadership race, he sold all of SunNewsNetwork assets to convicted fraudster Conrad Black

So Sun News that used to be under Quebec Separatist control (PKP) is now under Convicted Fraudster control (Conrad Black)

so that is my take on Sun News

All of the Sun print media, publications and small town local dailies were sold to Postmedia Network Inc. which already owns most of the other major daily newspapers across Canada (National Post, Citizen, Gazette, etc, etc). Basically, the majority of the print news media and associated digital sites will soon be controlled by one company in Canada. Postmedia is run by Paul Godfrey, someone that used to be a member of the board over at the Sun. However, I believe a couple of Hedge Funds in the US own controlling interest in Postmedia because of how much debt they carry.

I saw an Ekos poll last week that showed something similar. I'm not sure what to think of it. I'd like to think that the Liberals will win, but at the same time, the last few years have shown that parties in power generally seem to outperform what polls say, plus the Cons' GOTV operation is pretty good. Then again, the Con number gets an artificial bump from Alberta, plus there's no way that the Greens get 9% of the vote in October. Elizabeth May may be awesome, but she's not *that* awesome. So...hopefully it all evens out?

Mid to late August, probably. They tend to go for the minimum 5 or so weeks, though we never know, really, since there's no maximum amount on campaign time - only money caps. Longest it's been as of recent is about 7 weeks. But maybe one day you'll just be surprised by a Liberal-attacking Conservative advert on your TV. Just kinda happens..

This isn't entirely true. Legally they're not supposed to be doing any election campaign advertising until the writ is dropped, which -- assuming there's no early election -- would be in mid-September. Obviously the Conservatives have been ignoring those rules for years (which is why the Liberals introduced a Private Members Bill to cut down on the non-writ period advertising last month, and why the Conservatives subsequently defeated it), but the actual campaign can't begin until the writ is dropped by the GG.

maharg

idspispopd
This isn't entirely true. Legally they're not supposed to be doing any election campaign advertising until the writ is dropped, which -- assuming there's no early election -- would be in mid-September. Obviously the Conservatives have been ignoring those rules for years (which is why the Liberals introduced a Private Members Bill to cut down on the non-writ period advertising last month, and why the Conservatives subsequently defeated it), but the actual campaign can't begin until the writ is dropped by the GG.

I'm pretty sure the person you're quoting was referring to the post-writ period. The writ can be dropped at any distance from the election, there's no direct maximum there(*). There is a minimum, which is what the Conservatives have tended to use, but they could technically drop the writ right now if they wanted to.

(*) there is a practical maximum in that Parliament must meet at least once per year.

Ohhh, my mistake. I was just thinking of when campaign advertising could begin, not when the campaign itself could begin. But yeah, thanks to the spending limits, the Conservatives like keeping the campaign period as short as possible -- they'd have much less difficulty raising the maximum during a shorter amount of time.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
What do you guys think of the latest Bank of Canada move to cut overnight lending rate to 0.75%?

The loonie's taking a beating today thanks to the move. The BoC also lowered its forecast for Canada's economic growth in 2015 :/

gabbo

What do you guys think of the latest Bank of Canada move to cut overnight lending rate to 0.75%?

The loonie's taking a beating today thanks to the move. The BoC also lowered its forecast for Canada's economic growth in 2015 :/

Serious answer: Loonie is going to be back to the value I remember from my childhood (72 cents), and that's a double-edged sword
Partially joking answer: Oliver's budget pushed back to 2016

For a Conservative goverment that pretends to be fiscally conservative, they have sure committed themselves to a slew of spending in tax exemptions, incoming splitting schemes, bonuses for families with kids and stuff like that.

Now come budget time, they either stick to those promises and go into deficit or roll back on those promises and chop some off the cutting block

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For a Conservative goverment that pretends to be fiscally conservative, they have sure committed themselves to a slew of spending in tax exemptions, incoming splitting schemes, bonuses for families with kids and stuff like that.

Now come budget time, they either stick to those promises and go into deficit or roll back on those promises and chop some off the cutting block
I'm sure they're looking at the Alberta model of how to run an economy. It's working there so far, right?

gabbo

Jason Kenney has already been refuted for saying spending cuts. Do they go the extra mile and Ministry of Truth refuting themselves?

lupinko

It doesn't really affect me right now as I'm overseas but it really pisses me off on how our Loonie is getting shot out of the sky.

Conservatives have got to go in the coming election.

Harper is fullfilling his destiny to becoming Mulroney 2.0, unfortunately for Canadians.

Also OPEC fucking sucks same goes with Putin and his BS since those contributed to our Petrodollar's decline. And it's still Harper's fault since he turned us into a petrocountry.

B-Dex

Am I the only person that thinks it is ludicrous to let a private company get .5% tax from an entire province for transit infrastructure in one region?

When did this country turn to such utter shit.

I think they'll go with option C: keep all their promises, and balance the budget by just making up numbers. Considering this government's general aversion to anything resembling facts (see: their treatment of scientists, the census), I don't think it's insane to believe they're just grabbing numbers out of thin air.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

They'll go in deficit because that's the right's modus-operandi globally; deepen the deficit it till you're kicked out (a slow burn process as you cut all services and lower taxes on the rich and companies), then pass the bucket to the lefties and let them get their hands dirty increasing taxes, then get back into power on a lower taxes campaign.

It's written in a guidebook somewhere they probably all read from.

What sucks is I don't think Trudeau (or Muclair) is surrounded with the right folks. Trudeau risks giving too much attention to his PR team as a result of lack of confidence and knowledge, while Mulcair is a mercenary with no ideals who can't attract people with talent. I don't think Canada has enough smart people in politics to run the country properly, the federation is screwed, it's not gonna work out much longer. You'll start to see power move to the provinces as they figure things out themselves (especially the big cities) and deal with one another more on their terms. Over the long term it's probably for the best; the government has become too small to run this country properly, so break it and let the provinces get more power. The Canadian federation has become an utopic ideal, it doesn't work in a post-WW2-boom era of corruption and fear of great projects and PR-obsessed parties. The smart people are teaching in the universities and the government has distanced itself from them, it's no longer accessible.

Ralph Goodale would be good finance minister, he was once and he could be again.

Ether, Provincial parties in Quebec are UNABLE to run a hot-dog stand let alone a province. How do you even expect them to run a country without equalization payments?

I trust the Federal government more than any province no matter if it is a Liberal or Conservative government in Ottawa

Provincial political parties are full of crap and way worse

UberTag

Am I the only person that thinks it is ludicrous to let a private company get .5% tax from an entire province for transit infrastructure in one region?

When did this country turn to such utter shit.
When did Chretien step down? Late 2003? So I guess 12 years ago.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ralph Goodale would be good finance minister, he was once and he could be again.

Ether, Provincial parties in Quebec are UNABLE to run a hot-dog stand let alone a province. How do you even expect them to run a country without equalization payments?

I trust the Federal government more than any province no matter if it is a Liberal or Conservative government in Ottawa

Provincial political parties are full of crap and way worse

I would prefer a good federal government, but I think the Conservatives managed to permanently damage it enough for it to be irreparable, and that the political parties can no longer attract people of talent because of how divided they are. So as a result of having a permanently inefficient government you'll see provinces gain more power, and if you can't have an efficient federal government then might as well go in that direction.

I would prefer a good federal government, but I think the Conservatives managed to permanently damage it enough for it to be irreparable, and that the political parties can no longer attract people of talent because of how divided they are. So as a result of having a permanently inefficient government you'll see provinces gain more power, and if you can't have an efficient federal government then might as well go in that direction.

Quebec provincial politics are too screwed up that no Premiere is able to lay a finger at the bloated public sector that populated by entitled gauche-caviar who are cozy working off tax payers.

Now you have Couillard who has been attempting to be the toughest at dealing with the public sector bloatedness. The Red Square students and Unions are threatening big big protests this Spring again.

Quebec is fucked. The Unions with the Public Sector are hand in hand protecting themselves full entitlements and have are holding the Province hostage for the past 40 years.

We have been a have-not province since forever, but everyone wants everything and everyone wants everyone else to pay for it. When Alberta goes dry, those equalization payments will stop coming

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Quebec provincial politics are too screwed up that no Premiere is able to lay a finger at the bloated public sector that populated by entitled gauche-caviar who are cozy working off tax payers.

Now you have Couillard who has been attempting to be the toughest at dealing with the public sector bloatedness. The Red Square students and Unions are threatening big big protests this Spring again.

Quebec is fucked. The Unions with the Public Sector are hand in hand protecting themselves full entitlements and have are holding the Province hostage for the past 40 years.

We have been a have-not province since forever, but everyone wants everything and everyone wants everyone else to pay for it. When Alberta goes dry, those equalization payments will stop coming

You sound like a raging conservative.

You sound like a raging conservative.
actually not, the Quebec model is bloated even for a centrist moderate. When your main employer is the government, you got a problems, especially when you can't afford it

----------------
now for fun stuff, fun fun stuff.

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/electoral-district-search/

an interactive map of re-mapped ridings. Some have changed boundaries.

Check out Thomas Mulcair's Outremont, It is now taking a small Western portion of Laurier-Ste-Marie.

Mulcair may lose his seat to a Liberal LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Laurier-Ste-Marie is mostly very Left leaning, the most Left leaning riding in North America. , but the portion of it that is being taken away and added to Outremont is the most Red Liberal portion of Laurier-Ste-Marie.

Silexx

I just listened to a half hour interview with Ezra Levant and I didn't want to punch the nearest thing in my proximity.

http://canadalandshow.com/podcast/ezra-levant

Mind you, that doesn't mean he was in any way sympathetic or likeable, but it was interesting delving into his psyche and actually having to defend his countless bullshit over the years.

Almost came away feeling sorry for the guy.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Ezra is one of the mouthpieces for sun news network

That shitty station does not do conservatives any justice... every time i watch, i get angry within a few minutes

explodet

So oil prices are dropping, the Canuckbuck is tanking, GDP is down, and what do the Tories do?
Introduce and hype up a bill that will beef up CSIS.

In Richmond Hill, of all places.

gabbo

So oil prices are dropping, the Canuckbuck is tanking, GDP is down, and what do the Tories do?
Introduce and hype up a bill that will beef up CSIS.

In Richmond Hill, of all places.

If there is no good news, they'll make [up] their own.
We don't need this, but rea..BE SCARED! BE VERY SCARED! BOGEY MAN! BOOO!

maharg

idspispopd
Closer to home for me, btw: Anyone interested in seeing epic party meltdowns should take a look over at Alberta where recently there has been:

- A defection of nine members of the official opposition (the Wild Rose, a rural populist party in the image of Reform) to the ruling party, including its leader, leaving the opposition with 5 members and no leader. There was an offer on the table to merge, but the remaining WRP members seem to have rejected it.
- Oil is down a bunch, so everyone's in a panic. The governing party, in power since 1971, is considering a sales tax and/or a progressive provincial income tax (it's currently flat 10%), either of which would piss off a lot of people who believed them and the Wildrose when they said their version of "Read my lips, no new taxes."
- The leader of the provincial liberals (who, with five members, constitute the third party in the legislature) resigning, alongside two members who are not running in the next provincial so they can run for the federal liberals this year, leaving them with only two members, one of whom was the leader before last and is now interim leader again after the party rejected the other member (who's been an MLA for about 15 years) because she wanted to pursue merging with the 5th party (more on them below).
- The NDP (with 3 seats) are actually doing pretty decently in fundraising (better than the Liberals), but no one expects much to happen with that anyways.
- The Alberta Party, the fifth party with no members in the house, which is so far up its own ass it actually thinks it's legitimately post-partisan, so has a platform of "we have no platform," continues to exist but no one knows why. One of their founding members (previously non-political) has thrown his hat in to run for the governing PCs in spite of railing publically against them for years for being unresponsive and dynastic.
- Because of the defection and the drop in oil price, there's widespread expectations that the PCs will hold an election this spring, which will put it before the WRP or Alberta Liberals have a chance to choose a new permanent leader.

And after all this? We'll probably still have a PC government after the next election.

gabbo

Baird retiring? That's a bit of a surprise.

Wasn't he just trying to get the Al Jazeera journalist released? Is that not going down so smoothly? A bit shocking. Harper's boys usually have something hit the fan before they fall on their sword/are tossed under a procession of buses.

With that in mind, I expect something scathing before the election now.

<alberta politics>
What would it take for another party to get elected [to power] in Alberta at this point?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
YES

With our riding being split and Polievre (thankfully) ditching our riding for the safer rural vote, Baird was the favourite to replace him. But with Baird out of the picture, our riding might actually have a legit chance to go red as long as there isn't too much vote splitting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Baird retiring? That's a bit of a surprise.
So, it could be his private life stuff (ie, the open secret that isn't really a secret because everyone knows but everyone ignores because it's convenient to do so since he is Conservative), or it could be that he wanted a shot at the top and Harper is going to hang on to dear life, and he doesn't want to be the next Dion/Ignatieff.

maharg

idspispopd
What would it take for another party to get elected [to power] in Alberta at this point?

The whole province to decide more or less all at once that another party has more claim to govern than the PCs. I know that sounds trite or even in a way obvious, but I think it's true. People just don't think of multi-party politics as a good thing here. Either you're fit to govern or you're not. Even the opposition is infected with this binary political logic, where the answer sought is to reduce voter choice even more in the hopes that this will make the combined party 'viable', which doesn't mean what it seems to mean elsewhere.

This province is messed up.

What Harris-ites are left? Isn't it just Clement now? There are plenty of other terrible people in Harper's cabinet, but you can't blame all of them on Ontario.

And as much as I dislike Baird -- I even once got to tell him that to his face, which was awesome! -- I think he grew quite a bit during his time in public life. He went from being a hardcore, fire-breathing neocon as an MPP to a...slightly less terrible MP. He was still terrible in a lot of ways, but his time in Harris' cabinet shows he could've been a lot worse.

So, it could be his private life stuff (ie, the open secret that isn't really a secret because everyone knows but everyone ignores because it's convenient to do so since he is Conservative), or it could be that he wanted a shot at the top and Harper is going to hang on to dear life, and he doesn't want to be the next Dion/Ignatieff.

I saw one story on CBC (that doesn't seem to be there any more) that made reference to him being a "hard-talking, hard-living" cabinet minister. When I mentioned it to a co-worker, she said that she's heard all kinds of rumours about him taking some pretty extravagant foreign trips. So I think that if there's something -- and there has to be, because why would he resign so abruptly? -- it's more likely to be related to that than to the whole gay thing. (Speaking of which, that probably rules out him running for Harper's job -- hard to imagine that the base that makes up the Conservative Party would vote for a gay guy, no matter how far in the closet he may or may not be.)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What Harris-ites are left? Isn't it just Clement now? There are plenty of other terrible people in Harper's cabinet, but you can't blame all of them on Ontario.
Yeah, pretty much him. And there's no way he has any real support.

And as much as I dislike Baird -- I even once got to tell him that to his face, which was awesome! -- I think he grew quite a bit during his time in public life. He went from being a hardcore, fire-breathing neocon as an MPP to a...slightly less terrible MP. He was still terrible in a lot of ways, but his time in Harris' cabinet shows he could've been a lot worse.
He's literally the least shitty of all the high profile ministers after Flaherty. That's just how sad it is. Then again, I don't think I can name a single NDP or Liberal MP not named Mulcair or Trudeau, so it's not like the others are doing much better.

I saw one story on CBC (that doesn't seem to be there any more) that made reference to him being a "hard-talking, hard-living" cabinet minister. When I mentioned it to a co-worker, she said that she's heard all kinds of rumours about him taking some pretty extravagant foreign trips. So I think that if there's something -- and there has to be, because why would he resign so abruptly? -- it's more likely to be related to that than to the whole gay thing. (Speaking of which, that probably rules out him running for Harper's job -- hard to imagine that the base that makes up the Conservative Party would vote for a gay guy, no matter how far in the closet he may or may not be.)
You'd think if he Bev Oda'ed his way around the world, it would have came up out. Unless the Conservatives just love playing with fire. I'm more inclined to believe it has more to do with his personal life anyway, simply because... well, he would have pulled a Scott Brison ages ago if it wasn't a big deal.

Mr.Mike

(Speaking of which, that probably rules out him running for Harper's job -- hard to imagine that the base that makes up the Conservative Party would vote for a gay guy, no matter how far in the closet he may or may not be.)

Nah. Kathleen Wynne was/is gay and that's something you would never have learned during her campaign if you didn't read her wiki page. Of course Wynne was a liberal, but I don't think I ever came across anyone (from any side) complaining about or even mentioning her sexuality (well, maybe in a comment section somewhere) . Now I'm sure there are at least a few of the CPC base whose decision would be swayed by this, but I'd imagine/hope it would be an insignificant amount, and that the candidates sexuality wouldn't come up.

I don't know that the CPC base is loudly anti-gay, but I think there'd be enough of it just below the surface that it'd hurt his chances.

He's literally the least shitty of all the high profile ministers after Flaherty. That's just how sad it is. Then again, I don't think I can name a single NDP or Liberal MP not named Mulcair or Trudeau, so it's not like the others are doing much better.

But...

You'd think if he Bev Oda'ed his way around the world, it would have came up out. Unless the Conservatives just love playing with fire. I'm more inclined to believe it has more to do with his personal life anyway, simply because... well, he would have pulled a Scott Brison ages ago if it wasn't a big deal.

There you go! Also, Marc Garneau.

Anyone else watching Baird's resignation speech? It's surprisingly eloquent and...nice? For a guy who started out being so devoutly partisan, it's nice to hear him reach across the aisle. Even if he did call Harper a great leader.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Two great blowhards working together. lol

At least Labour must be breathing a sigh of relief that Rudd will be no where near Australia to ruin another election.

I don't know that the CPC base is loudly anti-gay, but I think there'd be enough of it just below the surface that it'd hurt his chances.

But...

There you go! Also, Marc Garneau.
lol
Is Brison even still around? I almost assumed all the old Liberals quietly left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom