• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada Poligaf - The Wrath of Harperland

Status
Not open for further replies.
n-STEPHEN-HARPER-CHINA-large.jpg

caption this

Mr.Mike

Liberal MPs Scott Andrews, Massimo Pacetti suspended from caucus amid harassment allegations

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lib...-caucus-amid-harassment-allegations-1.2824396

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau has suspended ethics critic Scott Andrews and Quebec MP Massimo Pacetti from the party's caucus after two New Democrat MPs alleged they were harassed.Trudeau was informed last week of allegations against the MPs, according to a letter distributed by party whip Judy Foote. The party referred the allegations to House Speaker Andrew Scheer for an independent investigation.

Both MPs deny the allegations, but have been suspended pending resolution.

The letter refers to the allegations being about "personal misconduct."

Dean Del Mastro, guilty of breaking election laws, resigns

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/dean-del-mastro-guilty-of-breaking-election-laws-resigns-1.2824943

Dean Del Mastro, the MP for Ontario's Peterborough riding, has quit less than a week after being found guilty of spending too much on his 2008 campaign and trying to cover it up.

Del Mastro spoke to MPs in the House of Commons just after question period today. The resignation takes effect immediately.

"I will not be a distraction in Peterborough," he said.

http://mediacrush.net/UwED4W_de5KX

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Scott is a good guy and well liked in his district... and married, but
I've heard some low level chatter about him dating around the hill
. There's a lot of that kind of gossip so I don't normally pay any mind to anything, but when you hear stuff and then something like this happens, you can't help but wonder. Hope the investigation is thorough and fair.

Del Mastro is a totally crummy MP and an awful party flack. The House will be richer for having another MP representing Peterborough, IMHO.

Justin did the right thing acting quickly on the two MPs booted over sexual harassment allegations. Their situations must be serious if he acted so quickly.

But this won't change much for the 2015 outcome though, you can run a cardboard box in St-Leonard for the Liberals and the cardboard box would still win.

Mr.Mike

http://www.vox.com/2014/11/28/7302827/oil-prices-opec

So oil prices are down and seem to be headed even further. Anyone feel like speculating about what sorts of affects this might have on Canada, the Canadian economy and Canadian politics?

If this continues for a while (and it very well may) the oil companies currently trying to build pipelines might give up on them as they're no longer as attractive an investment.
Alberta's fortunes souring could lead to talk about "diversifying".
Canadians might start buying bigger cars, which would be a damn shame.
Perhaps the coming years might be an expedient time to introduce a carbon tax. The Liberals could sell it as being a "revenue-neutral" way to lower corporate taxes to attract new investment in manufacturing and service industries, as well as perhaps a way to lower income taxes (which I'm sure everyone would love). Meanwhile resistance would reduced because gas prices are low. But maybe I'm just over-optimistic that the political result I prefer would happen.

gabbo

http://www.vox.com/2014/11/28/7302827/oil-prices-opec

So oil prices are down and seem to be headed even further. Anyone feel like speculating about what sorts of affects this might have on Canada, the Canadian economy and Canadian politics?

If this continues for a while (and it very well may) the oil companies currently trying to build pipelines might give up on them as they're no longer as attractive an investment.
Alberta's fortunes souring could lead to talk about "diversifying".
Canadians might start buying bigger cars, which would be a damn shame.
Perhaps the coming years might be an expedient time to introduce a carbon tax. The Liberals could sell it as being a "revenue-neutral" way to lower corporate taxes to attract new investment in manufacturing and service industries, as well as perhaps a way to lower income taxes (which I'm sure everyone would love). Meanwhile resistance would reduced because gas prices are low. But maybe I'm just over-optimistic that the political result I prefer would happen.

It would mean that Federal surplus would be non-existent/pushed back until well (see: not happening) after the election since they're leaning heavy on that and cuts elsewhere to get that surplus.

Canada needs to diversify.

Putting all our eggs into one basket of oil sands is economic suicide.

Our dollar is a petro dollar.

Price od crude goes down, so does our dollars

maharg

idspispopd
So the NDP has put in a motion for the form of PR they plan to advocate in the next election as a platform plank: http://craigscott.ndp.ca/make-2015-the-beginning-of-the-end-of-false-majority-governments-in-canada

It's apparently exactly like the Law Reform Commission proposed in 2004: http://wilfday.blogspot.ca/2010/01/law-commission-of-canada-report.html

I personally like this proposal, although I still think larger multi-member ridings might be an easier sell. But the NDP are the first to come out with a real proposal and put it to some kind of democratic test on a federal level (though obviously their motion failed, ~100 to ~160), so I appreciate that. I wish the LPC would jump on board, because I really dislike the instant runoff plan they've talked about so far. I'd rather have the shred of compromise a proportional legislature might force than have just another way to give a party absolute power. Apparently about 1/3 of the LPC caucus voted for it, so maybe that's not too far fetched.

Mr.Mike

So the NDP has put in a motion for the form of PR they plan to advocate in the next election as a platform plank: http://craigscott.ndp.ca/make-2015-the-beginning-of-the-end-of-false-majority-governments-in-canada

It's apparently exactly like the Law Reform Commission proposed in 2004: http://wilfday.blogspot.ca/2010/01/law-commission-of-canada-report.html

I personally like this proposal, although I still think larger multi-member ridings might be an easier sell. But the NDP are the first to come out with a real proposal and put it to some kind of democratic test on a federal level (though obviously their motion failed, ~100 to ~160), so I appreciate that. I wish the LPC would jump on board, because I really dislike the instant runoff plan they've talked about so far. I'd rather have the shred of compromise a proportional legislature might force than have just another way to give a party absolute power. Apparently about 1/3 of the LPC caucus voted for it, so maybe that's not too far fetched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT0I-sdoSXU

A video explaining MMP. The main example of a country that uses MMP is Germany, and they seem to be doing pretty well.

http://www.threehundredeight.com/2014/12/the-seat-implications-of-electoral.html

308 has an article exploring the seat implications of various voting systems.

maharg

idspispopd
I haven't watched that video in a while and I can't right now, so if I'm wrong about details please correct me, but there are some differences to the plan in that video. Specifically the NDP plan is for open regional lists rather than a closed national list. This means voters can still reject someone on the list, and each 'region' would have its own list for each party.

Mr.Mike

I haven't watched that video in a while and I can't right now, so if I'm wrong about details please correct me, but there are some differences to the plan in that video. Specifically the NDP plan is for open regional lists rather than a closed national list. This means voters can still reject someone on the list, and each 'region' would have its own list for each party.

Yes, assuming that the NDP follows the 2004 proposal Canada would be divided in regions of 14 MPs ( 9 local MPs and 5 regional MPs) and each region would have it's own list of candidates. If I'm reading this correctly, people's first vote would be for their local representative, and then they could use their second vote to either vote for a party "slate", or pick a specific candidate off of that parties list. I'm not sure whether voting "slate" means that you are supporting the specific list or just voting for that party, and the specific candidates sent to Parliament would be whoever got the most votes when people did vote for a specific candidate.

I suppose because of these regions it's possible we might still see a bit of deviation between the total vote share each party gets and it's seats, specifically if on party were to dominate a region or two. Another weird consequence I'm guessing will come about, is that people will only really research the candidates who are on their favourite parties list.

Azih

Yes, assuming that the NDP follows the 2004 proposal Canada would be divided in regions of 14 MPs ( 9 local MPs and 5 regional MPs) and each region would have it's own list of candidates. If I'm reading this correctly, people's first vote would be for their local representative, and then they could use their second vote to either vote for a party "slate", or pick a specific candidate off of that parties list. I'm not sure whether voting "slate" means that you are supporting the specific list or just voting for that party, and the specific candidates sent to Parliament would be whoever got the most votes when people did vote for a specific candidate.
Yeah you've got it pretty correct. Voting 'slate' means that you just want to express support for the party as a whole and you're fine with the ordering on the list the party has created. If you really like one specific person on the list or really don't like the person on top or whatever but still want to give your vote to the party then you vote for the person in the list and that person moves up the list.

explodet

This isn't really a national issue, but I'm a bit ticked off about the proposed "National Victims of Communism" monument that Harper wants to build in Ottawa.

He's taking prime real estate from the city and its citizens to build a pet project, an incredibly stupid pet project.

http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/co...unism-memorial-seems-too-vague-to-be-poignant
Just be lucky he didn't choose the National Victims of Capitalism monument, they'd have to bulldoze a quarter of the city.

It does sound really pointless, though. It's like that whole big ruckus the Harper Government (ugh) raised about 1812. We weren't even a fricking country yet, we confederated in 1867! It sounds like that they heard the "we burned down the White House" joke and took it too far.

This isn't really a national issue, but I'm a bit ticked off about the proposed "National Victims of Communism" monument that Harper wants to build in Ottawa.

He's taking prime real estate from the city and its citizens to build a pet project, an incredibly stupid pet project.

http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/co...unism-memorial-seems-too-vague-to-be-poignant

the ONLY victims memorial that should be acceptable in Canada is one for the First Nations People. Victims of European Colonialism.

The Conservatives dodging requests from the other parties do investigate missing Aboriginal Women is a clear indication that they don't give a fuck of about one of the most marginalized demographics in our country

gabbo

the ONLY victims memorial that should be acceptable in Canada is one for the First Nations People. Victims of European Colonialism.

The Conservatives dodging requests from the other parties do investigate missing Aboriginal Women is a clear indication that they don't give a fuck of about one of the most marginalized demographics in our country

Unless there's a photo op in the north every few years for them

yep it's awesome, considering how much money Alberta puts into the national economy.

But since your'e from Ontario, that sort of comment is expected I suppose

And this is exactly why.

Manufacturing in Ontario will be doing just fine because of the low oil prices. For Canada it'll be a wash.

For Albertan's it'll be a well earned comeuppance.

Azih

I really don't know where 'come-uppance' kind of polarising rhetoric comes from. It'd be great if all areas of the country could do well and anybody who wishes any region ill is just being an ass.

Alberta really does need to find a way to diversify its economy though. I don't think massive boom/bust cycles are healthy overall and I really don't think that fossil fuels are a future proof industry.

pr0cs

I really don't know where 'come-uppance' kind of polarising rhetoric comes from. It'd be great if all areas of the country could do well and anybody who wishes any region ill is just being an ass.

Alberta really does need to find a way to diversify its economy though. I don't think massive boom/bust cycles are healthy overall and I really don't think that fossil fuels are a future proof industry.

There is no question that the government still hasn't learned their lesson from the 80s in regards to trying to diversify.
Any other parts of the country 'happy' that Alberta is suffering now are short-sighted when they aren't educated enough to see that a hurting oil industry hurts the whole country, not just Alberta. Especially when the price of oil is being controlled by the cartel, not because Alberta or Canada is doing as a result of mismanagement.
I don't spend much time in this thread because it's so 'eastern' focused but when I read uneducated moronic statements like "I'm happy Alberta is suffering" I'm compelled to respond.

Maybe you should watch this, and pull your head out of your ass.
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/22-minutes-of-shame/3932901318001

SunNewsNetwrok was under the ownership of future Parti Quebecois Leader; Pierre-Karl Peladeau.

Now that PKP is under a leadership race, he sold all of SunNewsNetwork assets to convicted fraudster Conrad Black

So Sun News that used to be under Quebec Separatist control (PKP) is now under Convicted Fraudster control (Conrad Black)

so that is my take on Sun News

SickBoy

SunNewsNetwrok was under the ownership of future Parti Quebecois Leader; Pierre-Karl Peladeau.

Now that PKP is under a leadership race, he sold all of SunNewsNetwork assets to convicted fraudster Conrad Black

So Sun News that used to be under Quebec Separatist control (PKP) is now under Convicted Fraudster control (Conrad Black)

so that is my take on Sun News

Umm, this is a very interesting take, but Conrad Black doesn't own Sun News Network/Sun Media.

That said, I don't think anyone should be asking Ezra Levant to be making their case.

My take: The oil slump is a net negative for Canada. Industry elsewhere in the country will benefit, and that's good news for local economies. But lots of experts are bearish on the country as a whole.

But I don't think it's the end days, and people here in the West need to get over themselves and the desire to feed the oil industry machine. The oil shock is expected to send the Alberta budget to a $6-billion deficit next year. A surplus this year has swung to a predicted $500M shortfall this year.

This comes less than five years after the province was cowed out of implementing royalty changes -- changes that would have meant more revenue for the province and perhaps the growth of long-term savings in Alberta... It may also have meant a slower pace of energy development (indeed: the government backed down as companies threatened to pull investment.... grow-the-economy folks may not like that, but it's hard to deny that when the patch is in build mode, the Alberta economy gets overheated).

Maybe higher royalties aren't the answer to the long-term question, but the existing regime doesn't seem to be doing Alberta any favours when times are tough.

Sch1sm

When do the federal parties start campaigning?

Mid to late August, probably. They tend to go for the minimum 5 or so weeks, though we never know, really, since there's no maximum amount on campaign time - only money caps. Longest it's been as of recent is about 7 weeks. But maybe one day you'll just be surprised by a Liberal-attacking Conservative advert on your TV. Just kinda happens.

The Conservatives have been campaigning everyday since the last election.

Gold, hahaha.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Mid to late August, probably. They tend to go for the minimum 5 or so weeks, though we never know, really, since there's no maximum amount on campaign time - only money caps. Longest it's been as of recent is about 7 weeks. But maybe one day you'll just be surprised by a Liberal-attacking Conservative advert on your TV. Just kinda happens.

Gold, hahaha.

It's true though. Renamed the government from "Government of Canada" to "Harper Government", changed the red and white colors of the Weather Office website to Blue, and probably even designed the Jets' ugly logo, among so many other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom