• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada Poligaf - The Wrath of Harperland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamphuntr

That's the thing though ; CAQ didn't do bad at all, vote-share wise. They got the approximate % the polls gave them. They just got demolished by the system.

Sad to see Aussant lose though. He was a man with a clear vision with good ideas, shame.

Aussant lost because of the split with the PQ. In his riding, he got 7758 votes, the winner CAQ got 9637 and PQ got 5565. What's hurting ON, QS and PQ is that split.

Legault is probably the biggest loser tonight because he was supposed to be the runner up and he got crushed. Charest lost but not as much as people expected.

We'll be voting again and again for a while it seems as percentage wise it's almost 1/3, 1/3 , 1/3.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
She can get rid of law 78 though as it doesn't require a vote.

I wonder what will happen with ON. If it's gone for good it will probably help PQ and QS

I doubt it will be gone. If we have elections again in one or two years, they'll have a chance to do better if the PQ does poorly by then. But without anyone in the assembly, it will be difficult to draw attention.

Françoise David will definitly allow QS to grow. It was too easy to attack Amir Khadir, especially with the student strike and his daughter getting arrested, and right-wingers saying he had a secret Islamic agenda (lol). As much as those attacks don't mean much, they get reported in the media, and it works against QS. With Françoise David, they will be MUCH more difficult to attack.

My main worry for QS is if the NDP shows up. That would be catastrophic for them. If ON had done much better, they could potentially merge with them if they felt threatened. But that doesn't seem likely at all anymore, nor would it give much more to QS if they did merge considering the low number of votes ON got.

At least, with AK and FD at the assembly, the media will have to allow the progressive ideals to pierce through the paid-for message that is excessively working in favor of the rich and corporate interests.

I think the biggest difference that could happen by the next elections is who becomes the PLQ chief if Charest leaves. It could strongly go in their favor, or against them.

What would a separated Quebec look like, anyway?

-no more CBC
-would need new currency and banks
-no more CFL team, and what about the Habs in the NHL?
-no English on any public services website
-public funding for French schools only
-loss of English-speaking workforce

...Please add to the list.

Every website that's not french blocked and concentration camps everywhere.

Are you serious with your crazy list?

Vamphuntr

I think these kind of results show the limit of our voting system... Since the 3 big parties pretty much got all 30-32% it means 60% of the voters didn't vote for the other two and yet the seats difference is so big.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think these kind of results show the limit of our voting system... Since the 3 big parties pretty much got all 30-32% it means 60% of the voters didn't vote for the other two and yet the seats difference is so big.

Yeah and it was the same with Charest in power.

The CAQ wants proportional voting, QS too, PLQ would probably not. But if they throw their weight for it PQ will have no choice but to do it too.

I looked at the list, I see no one except Pierre Moreau or Jean-Marc Fournier who could take the lead of the PLQ, and even then there is no way they could do as well as Charest. I expect things to go as I said before, with some leaving PLQ for the CAQ, and the CAQ doing better than the PLQ next time. It might not be enough to give us a majority government though, so PQ might win another minority in the next elections.

Giard

Really disappointed that Aussant lost. But overall, the results were not surprising. Hope that Marois will impress me, but I doubt it. Wouldn't be surprised if there are elections next year.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yep I just saw them lift the gun on TV. The guy was armed with a gun and supposedly tried to set fire to the place. But the gun is confirmed, they showed it.

Kurdel

Banned
Oh wow, I wonder how much she knows?

Fucking incredible...

Edit: I am still in shock. Day 0, assasination attemps 1.

Armed man tried to set fire to an amphitheater with hundreds of PQ supporters and the newly elected PM. Chilling.

Security did an amazing job avoiding a generalized panic.

Vamphuntr

They are showing the fire outside the bar now, pretty big. Man arrested had a pistol but it's not clear if it's a toy or not.

:S

EDIT : The guy seems insane. Whoa.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
There's the rifle.

aLs4O.jpg

Edit: Media says two persons have been wounded, supposedly shot.

Guy supposedly said "les anglais se réveillent, les anglais se réveillent", in French, which means "anglophones are waking up". But he sounded very francophone and crazy.

edit: Now a journalist says he had an English accent but that wasn't my impression from hearing him.

Maybe the english media need to stop inciting paranoia.

Crazy guy:
n6qUf.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sounds like he tried to do something like the guy in the theater shooting. He threw a smoke bomb, and somehow set fire to the place.

I wonder if those who were shot were inside or outside. The guy was clearly arrested outside.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
2 people were hurt apparently. Fucking crazy though. Pauline is going to be followed by bodyguards every seconds now.

Megasoum

Banned
Guy supposedly said "les anglais se réveillent, les anglais se réveillent", in French, which means "anglophones are waking up". But he sounded very francophone and crazy.

The guy definitly had an english accent when they replayed the clip from outside. And the dude looks like a complete nut job.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't know much about Canadian gun laws, but if the guy had an AK-47, is that surprising?

Marois had been surrounded by bodyguards already as far as I could see this weekend when going around meeting people, but they were more discreet than in her entrance tonight.

At least this will give more argument to demonstrate that Quebec was right in doing everything it could to maintain the gun registry.

dem

I don't know much about Canadian gun laws, but if the guy had an AK-47, is that surprising?

Marois had been surrounded by bodyguards already as far as I could see this weekend when going around meeting people, but they were more discreet than in her entrance tonight.

At least this will give more argument to demonstrate that Quebec was right in doing everything it could to maintain the gun registry.

Because an ak47 would have been registered?

RevoDS

Extremely sad ending...not only for Marois who had her victory night ruined, but also for the two wounded people.

TVA says one of the wounded is in a critical state (and a radio station goes as far as saying he/she died). No confirmation though.

That can't be happening. Not in Quebec, of all places...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Because an ak47 would have been registered?

I don't know, would it be? And are you saying only unregistered weapons are dangerous? In which case, let's put more regulations.

edit: Wow one media outlet says one of the two wounded has died.

edit2: One dead confirmed by the SPVM.

Alucard

Banned
Every website that's not french blocked and concentration camps everywhere.

Are you serious with your crazy list?

Is it crazy to say that English schools would be in more trouble? And wouldn't Quebec need a new currency as they'd be their own country? And the CBC is a Canadian government funded station. Why would the Canadian government continue to give money to Quebec and pay its employees?

Guesong

Holy crap.

The only way I could have woken up more shocked was if Marois died in that crazy guy's attempt.

Unbelievable. RIP to the victim.

Kifimbo

WTF did I just wake up to. Will wiat for more details before commenting on the madman.

So threehundredeight wound up wrong on everything except QS's seat count and CAQ's vote %. That's gotta sting.

He's just using polls to make his predictions. Pollsters should be ashamed. 308 should learn his lesson not to rely so much on polls.

Does anyone have the final number for total seats won by each party, and the percentage of people who voted?

PQ - 54 seats - 31,9%
PLQ - 50 seats - 31,2%
CAQ - 19 seats - 27,1%
QS - 2 seats - 6,0%

Voter turnout - 74,6%

suikodan

I was shocked by the news about the incident at the Metropolis, I think I went to bed just minutes before seeing that.

However, by reading tweets about the PQ win, I'm not surprised. There was a lot of hate about that "new" government. Not deception, hate.

Hopefully that doesn't represent what minorities think as a whole.

RIP

Takuya

Banned
Quebec will never win separation, a pitiful minority supports Marois in her quest to destroy the province, she won't last more than 6 months.

Acheron

Banned
So threehundredeight wound up wrong on everything except QS's seat count and CAQ's vote %. That's gotta sting.

They've failed practically every time, the fact anyone treats Grenier as a Canadian version of Nate Silver is ridiculous. He has never been right and perpetually overstates left-leaners, obvious Alberta exception.

I'd be easy on him for missing the projection but the fact every party landed outside the confidence interval is ridiculous.

Kifimbo

They've failed practically every time, the fact anyone treats Grenier as a Canadian version of Nate Silver is ridiculous. He has never been right and perpetually overstates left-leaners, obvious Alberta exception.

I'd be easy on him for missing the projection but the fact every party landed outside the confidence interval is ridiculous.

To be fair, it's easier to predict a two-horse race. With three parties, you can win 27% of the votes and win between a handful of seats or 40 seats. You can win 33% and almost get a majority of seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom