• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada Poligaf - The Wrath of Harperland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might as well change the maple leaf into a capital C for "Canada" too!

remember the Vancouver Winter Olympics ''C''
bc-091001-logos.jpg

LOL

DasDamen

The most recent issue I had heard in regards to government websites is removing "Environment Canada" from the Weather Office website.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...r-weather-website/article11355689/?cmpid=rss1

Not exactly sure why they did that when there is clearly an Environment Canada homepage with a link to Weather from there: http://ec.gc.ca/. Perhaps the Conservatives know that the weather section is bookmarked quite a lot, and they want people to associate the weather info with the government and not EC. Who knows?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Not exactly sure why they did that when there is clearly an Environment Canada homepage with a link to Weather from there: http://ec.gc.ca/. Perhaps the Conservatives know that the weather section is bookmarked quite a lot, and they want people to associate the weather info with the government and not EC. Who knows?

It's because of the word environment.

They also renamed "The Canadian Government" to "The Harper Government" on all official documents.

And today it was reported that the federal government wants to review history classes material in all provinces, when education is a provincial matter.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...-ottawa-enseignement-histoire-provinces.shtml

The committee wants to know how is thought history throughout in the country. "This is an opportunity [sic] for the committee and other Canadians to know what Quebec and the other provinces are doing" said the Conservative member for Oak Ridges-Markham, Paul Calandra.

The committee will focus its analysis on the birth of the Confederation, the right to vote, the First World War (with emphasis on the Battle of Vimy Ridge) World War II (including the liberation of Holland, the Battle Ortona, the battle of the Atlantic), constitutional development, the Korean War and the conflict in Afghanistan.

All military.

Crazy government with a creationist as science and technology minister.

The committee will focus its analysis on the birth of the Confederation, the right to vote, the First World War (with emphasis on the Battle of Vimy Ridge) World War II (including the liberation of Holland, the Battle Ortona, the battle of the Atlantic), constitutional development, the Korean War and the conflict in Afghanistan.
Wait, I don't see the problem. This stuff is actually interesting.

Yea, I thought we were already proud of Korea?

Globe and Mail has a poll with the Liberals 7 points up on the CPC, way too early for polls to really matter but it's a positive sign and shows the lame attack ads haven't really worked

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Given that it seems to be one fuck up every two weeks, I'd hope polls would have them down. How do you "lose" 3 billion dollars?

I honestly don't know what could come next.

maharg

idspispopd
Why wouldn't we be? The South Koreans seem to be happy they're not living in a communist dictatorship.

If we'd taken part in Vietnam, would you be proud of that? The US and the Soviets played people in that region like pawns in their ridiculous game and countless people died for their bullshit.

If we'd taken part in Vietnam, would you be proud of that? The US and the Soviets played people in that region like pawns in their ridiculous game and countless people died for their bullshit.
Let's face it, we would have been happy if the "good guys" had "won"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm unhappy any of it ever happened. I'm not gonna cheer on bringing the world to the brink of nuclear war for several decades. For either side.
I assume there was some treaty with the Russians, but I feel like the world probably would have been a better place if the US actually helped the ROC secure China. At the very least, Korea would have probably turned out differently.

But now I'm in Harry Turtledove territory.

Slavik81

Millions of people suffered under Mao Zedong, Joseph Stalin and Kim Il-Sung. Had the UN forces managed to hold the peninsula, the world would be a slightly better place today.

South Korea, a nation of 50 million people, is prosperous and free because of the UN intervention in Korea.

Mission

RCMP site banner is still red.

Edit: and the DND colour scheme is grey.

The most recent issue I had heard in regards to government websites is removing "Environment Canada" from the Weather Office website.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...r-weather-website/article11355689/?cmpid=rss1

The deadline for implementing the new look is the end of June, so expect to see more of it.

However, things like the missing "environment canada" would have been a decision on the part of the developer. I know that for the one site I changed there was no guidance as to what the text would say. They are still blue-washing the sites but discussion of the text is probably reading too much into it.

Sapiens

We lost 3 Billion (but still going on about that 2 million the Grits lost in the Sponsorship Scandal), our international reputation is in shambles, have a barney rubble looking buffoon in charge of your money, a creationist in charge of science, and spend your money on anti-Trudeau attack ads....

...and we're also going to spend some time looking over YOUR history to make sure everything is cool. Because we obviously have time for that.

This has nothing to do with the fact that our majority's clock is ticking down and we want to set Canada "right" as much as possible before we inevitably go back to minority* status in Oct 15.

*Let's face it, it's going to be hard to defeat a unified right for a LONG time unless a few scandals** come to light that should rock the Conservatives. In the meantime, I'll donate time and whatever money I can do my preferred Non-Conservative party.

**All of Harper's inherited Paul Martin financial goodwill disappearing and the having to face up to the fact that anything bad that happens to Canada from now on might just rest on the governing party's shoulders. Sick of this party coasting on the shoulders of the competent (but corrupt shoulders of the) Liberals.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

It's not interesting for an illegally-elected creationist anti-science anti-intellect government to seek to meddle in education when it's a provincial matter. Those topics are already covered by history classes, they just want to "look into them", which of course means change them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The problem is that it's a bunch of military history and they're going to focus on it at the expense of state multiculturalism, state bilingualism, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, etc. Same as the War of 1812 stuff more broadly. It's about projecting a version of Canadian identity and history which does not place the Liberal Party's achievements centrally, regardless of the merit of individual topics.

maharg

idspispopd
The war of 1812 was not even Canada vs USA, it was England vs USA LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812

look on the right side where belligerents are listed

Since Canada didn't exist yet in any real sense and many of the soldiers who fought wound up staying in Canada, I think it's entirely fair to consider it part of Canada's history.

But I also think it's nothing to be proud of either. It's another bullshit war fought for bullshit reasons (more so than most, it was pure muscle-flexing).

They went bankrupt and have an active volcano and no daylight half the year lol, you'd be insane to want to live there

You make it sound like Mordor.

DTKT

It's because of the word environment.

They also renamed "The Canadian Government" to "The Harper Government" on all official documents.

And today it was reported that the federal government wants to review history classes material in all provinces, when education is a provincial matter.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...-ottawa-enseignement-histoire-provinces.shtml

All military.

What the hell.

I'm just ashamed to be Canadian now.

Hahahaha, I just read his Wikipedia biography

Wikipedia said:
Later that day, however, Goodyear said that he believed in evolution during an interview with CTV News.[12] When asked to clarify this belief, Goodyear responded "We are evolving, every year, every decade. That’s a fact. Whether it’s to the intensity of the sun, whether it’s to, as a chiropractor, walking on cement versus anything else, whether it’s running shoes or high heels, of course, we are evolving to our environment."[13]

This man has to be shamed in every media outlet for having these views.

I don't think Goodyear should hold the portfolio that he does either but let's not forget that the Charter gives us all freedom of conscience, belief, and religion. To say he can't hold a particular job -or that he should be shamed by the media- because he holds a religious belief over a scientific one is contrary to the Charter.

In my view, though, when you are called to serve your country in such a position of Minister of *anything*, you set aside your personal beliefs in favour of what is in the best interests of the whole country. I am not convinced he's been able to do that, though - and a failure to exercise proper judgement in this regard is fair grounds for dismissal.

maharg

idspispopd
I don't think Goodyear should hold the portfolio that he does either but let's not forget that the Charter gives us all freedom of conscience, belief, and religion. To say he can't hold a particular job -or that he should be shamed by the media- because he holds a religious belief over a scientific one is contrary to the Charter.

It would be contrary to the charter to hold that the media should be restricted from shaming someone for their lack of professional qualifications. That there should not be a litmus test for the office does not mean the media should shut up and accept it. It's their *job* to point this out to us, and it's in service to this place in our society that they are granted the freedoms they are.

It would be contrary to the charter to hold that the media should be restricted from shaming someone for their lack of professional qualifications. That there should not be a litmus test for the office does not mean the media should shut up and accept it. It's their *job* to point this out to us, and it's in service to this place in our society that they are granted the freedoms they are.

That's not what I said, though. I didn't argue that the media should be restricted from pointing out his qualifications for a job - or lack thereof. I argued that vilifying someone for holding a religious belief - and preventing them from having, or firing them from a job because of that reason - is contrary to the Charter. Jurisprudence tells us that religion alone cannot determine whether or not we are qualified for a job.

Goodness knows there are countless men and women of science who still believe in some form of deity or religion. That alone shouldn't disqualify them from being considered "good scientists", whatever that means.

As I indicated already, hypothesizing that his beliefs compromise his judgement in the execution of his duties is fair game; pointing out his beliefs as a way of saying that his beliefs alone should disqualify him is unfair.

maharg

idspispopd
That's not what I said, though. I didn't argue that the media should be restricted from pointing out his qualifications for a job - or lack thereof. I argued that vilifying someone for holding a religious belief - and preventing them from having, or firing them from a job because of that reason - is contrary to the Charter. Jurisprudence tells us that religion alone cannot determine whether or not we are qualified for a job.

Goodness knows there are countless men and women of science who still believe in some form of deity or religion. That alone shouldn't disqualify them from being considered "good scientists", whatever that means.

As I indicated already, hypothesizing that his beliefs compromise his judgement in the execution of his duties is fair game; pointing out his beliefs as a way of saying that his beliefs alone should disqualify him is unfair.

If you want to say that it's unfair or unreasonable I'm totally ok with that. It's the fact you're invoking the charter to argue against freedom of speech and of the press, and that's just wrong. Constitutions limit, above all, what the government can and cannot do. Our charter can also be sometimes broadly applied to what private citizens (or the press) can do, but not in this sense. Nor should it.

If you want to say that it's unfair or unreasonable I'm totally ok with that. It's the fact you're invoking the charter to argue against freedom of speech and of the press, and that's just wrong. Constitutions limit, above all, what the government can and cannot do. Our charter can also be sometimes broadly applied to what private citizens (or the press) can do, but not in this sense. Nor should it.

Perhaps I was unclear before:
I'm invoking the Charter to point out that it protects Goodyear's freedom of thought, belief, and expression. I'm invoking the Charter to point out that we can't fire or persecute people based on their religious beliefs. I'm not invoking the Charter to say that we can't talk about this stuff.

Some in this thread have explicitly or implicitly said that Goodyear should not be Minister on account of his religious beliefs, and/or that he should be vilified in the press for holding them. I point out that his religious beliefs alone are not grounds to do either, because his beliefs are protected by the Charter.

Minus_Me

I can't fault your reasoning Bladeworker, but I personally don't think a creationist should hold the spot that he does.

If I'm wrong for having that view so be it.

Strax

They went bankrupt and have an active volcano and no daylight half the year lol, you'd be insane to want to live there

laff.gif

1. Iceland didn't got brankrupt

2. Unless you live in very remote small town in Iceland volcanos will not have any effect on your life.

3. 24 hour sunshine for half the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom