• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carcassonne iPhone/iTouch

Jonnyram

Anyone feel free to invite me anytime. I play this game on an almost constant basis. The level of Quick Play opponents is way too high for me!

AirBrian

POWERSPHERE said:
I only have one game left and lament that. It's just nice having games ticking away.
What's your UN again?

Speaking of, we really should get an updated list going of active players.

elfinke

I've been umming and ahhing over buying this for some time (partly due to the $13 entry fee and partly to not knowing if I'd play it enough to warrant that entry fee), but I had a couple quick goes of the XBL trial and was pleasantly intrigued. The strategy behind building your own point score while gazumping your opponents' tickled a particularly cerebral part of me that I like.

So, my question (and I apologise if this has been mentioned elsewhere) is; does the iOS version have a good tutorial, aside from playing CPU opponents on easy? I quiet liked the video hand holding tutorial the XBL version had, and it would be just the trick to convincing my partner we need this game!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yeah the tutorial is quite good; i can't compare it to the xbla one though as i didn't try that one. i do like this version a lot more than the xbla one though just aesthetically and with the asynchronous multiplayer and stat tracking

elfinke

So I grabbed it last night.

It's awesome. Goodbye many hour of sleep. Hello 45min long craps on the dunny. The tutorial is indeed handy, and playing teh CPU on simple/easy has been a good learning curve as well. I find winning 2 player AI games achievable against such modest competition, but it's a whole other world of trouble once it become 3 or 4 players. The strategy is immense in this one (should I build a castle tile adjacent to blue player so I can potentially share his town points and work with him, or do I go alone elsewhere? Roads or farms? Aaaargh!)

My user name is the same as my GAF name - elfinke.

elfinke

Jonnyram said:
A-ha! Sounds like another person in my timezone :)

You have to invite by email at the moment. I'll PM you mine so you can send me an invite.
Haha, yes AusGAF representing! I sent you an email from my almost eponymously named hotmail account.

So, since my other post, I've had my first win andfirst loss against the CPU. I've been playing mainly 3 player games as their pace feels about right and tiles don't get eaten up so fast.

Trying to find the balance between 'now' points and 'later' (I think of them as infrastructure) points has led to some headaches at the moment!

DukeSucks

AirBrian said:
What's your UN again?

Speaking of, we really should get an updated list going of active players.

this would be nice, the last few games I started usually have at least one person not respond.

Just picked this up! Account name is echoshifting, looking forward to getting schooled...

edit: not even the River? Really? Boo.

edit 2: PM me for my e-mail or just send yours and I'll add you

mandiller

I just picked up the game after getting into the actual board game with some friends. Feel free to PM me your email address and I'll add you to my list. I'm from Australia, but anyone around the world will do.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
mandiller said:
I just picked up the game after getting into the actual board game with some friends. Feel free to PM me your email address and I'll add you to my list. I'm from Australia, but anyone around the world will do.
hey man pm me your email and i will add you. same for anyone else who wants a game who i don't have on my list

or if you want a game and are on my list just post. wife just got an iphone so i'm starting several new games. getting back into this after yucata.de distracted my online-board-gaming attention the past few weeks

AirBrian

I think this is my closest game ever...

Flunkie - 65
AirBrian - 65
DukeSucks - 64
elfinke - 62

Damn, guys...gg! That corner tile was of course the last. :D

elfinke

AirBrian said:

Flunkie - 65
AirBrian - 65
DukeSucks - 64
elfinke - 62

Yeah terrific game. I was hoping that corner tile wouldn't fall to either of you guys who were trying to steal my city, but alas, we split the points, and it made the difference in the end.

Great game.

Sent out a few PMs, add me guys:)

And release some expansions already! jeez, ive been waiting a LONG time for those, and there's not even the tiniest bit of news 'bout them :(

Karud

I think they could earn loads of money with any expansion released but their progress seems to be pretty slow. Anyway, I am up for some more games.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Karud said:
I think they could earn loads of money with any expansion released but their progress seems to be pretty slow. Anyway, I am up for some more games.
hahah srsly. they almost remind me of popcap in the sense of WTF ARE YOU DOING IT CAN'T BE THAT HARD I'VE WANTED IT NAOOOO FOR THE PAST YEAR.

i've started playing carc: hunters & gatherers on yucata.de and it's pretty fun if a bit busy rules-wise compared to the simplicity of vanilla carc. i totally miss the clean elegant iOS interface though even though yucata is great

DukeSucks

AirBrian said:

Flunkie - 65
AirBrian - 65
DukeSucks - 64
elfinke - 62

yes, that game was so close.

I think I have most of you guys, but if I missed anyone, please send me a PM so I can make sure I have everyone that still plays.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
eznark said:
Astro, do yucata games work on an iPad or are they flash? Also, are they asynchronous?
Yes to the second question. As to the first I don't seem to be able to log in on my Touch so it looks like no.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
czartim said:
I keep meaning to try the site out. Seems too good to be true though.
it's pretty great -- and free and ad-free! learned like four new games on there playing with gaffers

current faves are campaign manager 2008, arkadia, pompeii, and of course stone age

eznark

Banned
AstroLad said:
Yes to the second question. As to the first I don't seem to be able to log in on my Touch so it looks like no.

Want to play a game of campaign manager? I have never played it and have also not looked at the rules, but it will boost your ranking! (I just want to see how it works)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
czartim said:
We need an OT for Yucata. Just finished a game of Campaign Manager '08 with ez, and it's hella fun.
yeah i actually agree -- we do talk about it a lot in the bg thread in the OT but i think it has even broader appeal than that. go for it!

supposedly they are rolling out a new game every couple weeks too

rc213

Need moar friends/games.
picachux(at)gmail.com

I really am glad this game is universal now, It looks glorious on my iPad.

rc213

AstroLad said:
i wonder when the game center update is coming hahah
Surprised that they haven't got that out yet, Would make setting up games so much easier.

I would also love to see Game Center add something where you click on a game you own and it will show you which friends also own the game.

Jonnyram

rc213 said:
I would also love to see Game Center add something where you click on a game you own and it will show you which friends also own the game.
I guess leaderboards is the closest you'll ever get to that, though it's not ideal, especially when games have multiple leaderboards.

Man, my games have dried up on this lately. Shall we get some more going?
I'm fine with quick or slow, small or large. Just love to play during my dreary days.

Top Bottom