• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carcassonne iPhone/iTouch

AirBrian

GAF | Game Center

AirBrian | AirBrian
AstroLad | AstroLad
Bernbaum | Bernbaum
bigwinnerx | Bigwinnerx
ChackanKun | Chackan
CzarTim | CzarTim
D-Back | close
Dantehemi | dantehemi
Darkflight | Darkflight
DukeSucks | _LOLduke_
EktorPR | EktorOni
elfinke | elfinke
Flunkie | Flunkie44
Flynn | Triphibian
Gaspode_T | Gaspode-TWD
Gatekeeper | TopDeckHobbies
Got the Shakes | Got the Shakes
Grifter | risottoball
JeffGreen | Doofaeus
Joeyjoejoeshabadoo | Joeyjoejoejrshabadoo
jon bones | jon bones
Jswanko | Jswanko
Karud | Karud
kennah | kenchuk
kryptikjoker | kryptikjoker
Kryptonic | Kryptonic83
Kryten | Studs Ramrod
N Coward Parody | Noel Coward Parody
Noreturn | Noreturn
pilonv1 | carlosthedwarf
Porthos | Porthos
Powersphere | Powersphere
punkypine | punkypine
rc213 | rc213
Rekwest | Rekwest01
roosters93 | jmilo93
swoon | Swoon37
technosteve | ceramicsteve
teebs33 | teebs33
tetrisgrammaton | CENTAURSAUR
Vinterbird | Vinterbird
WillieAames | SlothBear
Yaboosh | Yaboosh

Also, if anyone wants to change what name shows up in GameCenter (ex. change your real name to your GC/user/GAF/whatever name), follow these steps:

• Open Game Center
  • On the "Me" screen, click on your Account on the bottom of the page
  • View Account (enter password)
  • Scroll down to the "Game Center Identity" section (at the very bottom)
  • Tap "Edit Account Info" "Apple ID" -->
  • Here your First and Last Name appears, along with your Apple ID and PW. Simply change your First Name and Last Name to whatever you want. Note: This does NOT impact your Apple ID name at all. This is just for the Game Center name that appears on friends' lists.
  • Make sure to tap "Done" in the top-right (will have to do this twice), and you're finished!

AirBrian

OK, Carc opens, tries to go to a game, then crashes. I've rebooted. Cleared the multitask apps and rebooted. I'll even get a little popup box that appears asking to send crash data. Any suggestions?

Can someone send me a request for a game?

AirBrian said:
OK, Carc opens, tries to go to a game, then crashes. I've rebooted. Cleared the multitask apps and rebooted. I'll even get a little popup box that appears asking to send crash data. Any suggestions?

Done

Jonnyram

AirBrian said:

Sent.
And if that doesn't work, delete the app and redownload. I think the developers mentioned this problem when the update first came out.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
AirBrian said:

That just happened to me too!

I had to reinstall it.

Interestingly, that game with you, Jon bones and squirrel killer that has gone on for 3 weeks is now messed up for me, showing no tiles placed. I wonder if that is somehow related?

AirBrian

Jonnyram said:
Sent.
And if that doesn't work, delete the app and redownload. I think the developers mentioned this problem when the update first came out.
I had that problem too when the updated came out. :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Jonnyram said:
I wonder... when Gatekeeper sent "### game has been unstuck ###" was that a system message or did you type that manually?
you can type in /unstuck if you think the game is stuck (e.g., if it shows as you turn but you can't select a tile); then it shows that message

AirBrian

OK, it's the game with jon bones, Yaboosh, and Squirrel Killer. I tried to see the moves and now it's back to that same cycle. Before that, every other game was working fine.

Someone care to send another invite? :lol

EDIT: Nevermind! Another game advanced to my turn and now it works. That one game is borked though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
AirBrian said:
OK, it's the game with jon bones, Yaboosh, and Squirrel Killer. I tried to see the moves and now it's back to that same cycle. Before that, every other game was working fine.

Someone care to send another invite? :lol

EDIT: Nevermind! Another game advanced to my turn and now it works. That one game is borked though.
Naturally that happens with like two tiles left.

AirBrian

Jonnyram said:
88-87
lol
Helluva game. I'll never understand how the ELO works sometimes. We were very close in ELO (~1420) and you win by 1 point, and the swing is like 18 points. Seems steep if you ask me. Oh well, got to keep aiming high!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AirBrian said:
Helluva game. I'll never understand how the ELO works sometimes. We were very close in ELO (~1420) and you win by 1 point, and the swing is like 18 points. Seems steep if you ask me. Oh well, got to keep aiming high!
yeah ELO doesn't consider the margin of victory at all (perhaps unfortunately), but if you beat someone near your ELO i think you get about 20 points generally

Update:

FIXED
• Fixed issue where unlocked Game Center Achievements weren't reported to Game Center. (Will submit unlocked achievements retroactively.)
• Fixed crash on iPad that could occure when pressing the tile overview
• Fixed crash on opening chats with iOS 4.1 and below
• Fixed layout issue with long names in resume game view on iPhone/iPod Touch
• Fixed issue where account could be temporarily removed if Game Center had network issues

IMPROVED
• Improved feedback on first run with game center support
• Improved feedback for receiving moves on iOS 3.x
• Improved "Max ELO" Game Center Leaderboard reporting

Jonnyram

Wow, I'm stuck mid-update because I'm not on wi-fi right now.
I can't open the app by touching it, or by accessing the multitasking bar.
But, I can play it if I get a notification! Weird.

Gaspode_T

Just broke down and got this a couple days ago..."veteran" of both the real board game and XBLA version but that doesn't mean I'm any good - I got pwned in my first Quick Match by too many attempts to block the other guy's grand plans.

Am I correct that there is no way to start async match with a random person? I suppose opening that up would probably open up some sort of DoS style attack on their server, but I don't want to just spam my small list of friends with multiple invites.

I hope they release my favorite expansion Hunters and Gatherers...

Need to get more games going, please add me to GC too:

"Gaspode-TWD"

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Am I correct that there is no way to start async match with a random person? I suppose opening that up would probably open up some sort of DoS style attack on their server, but I don't want to just spam my small list of friends with multiple invites.
Correct. Don't worry, just spam different gaffers in AirBrian's list with invites. :p

Gaspode_T

Okay, expect to be spammed then

By the way I already regretted turning push notifications on when I set up the game, because the iPad is also used by my 5 year old who will probably press "yes" when they come up and place down tiles LOL. How the heck do I turn them off?? I looked for settings in the app but there basically aren't any, it must be configured from iTunes or something??

rc213

Gaspode_T said:
Okay, expect to be spammed then

By the way I already regretted turning push notifications on when I set up the game, because the iPad is also used by my 5 year old who will probably press "yes" when they come up and place down tiles LOL. How the heck do I turn them off?? I looked for settings in the app but there basically aren't any, it must be configured from iTunes or something??

Settings > Notifications > Carcassonne

Jonnyram

Haha, Carcassonne is the app that taught me how to use Notifications properly.
First the "it's your turn" sound freaked me out, then I needed to turn off sounds entirely when I found out that's what caused my iPhone to vibrate in manner mode. Badges-only sounds like the best solution for you, Gaspode_T.

Gaspode_T

Thanks, I found the setting and turned it to Badges Only

It was kind of weird for a while trying to go to sleep and hearing "It's your turn" getting me to make one more move before sleeping LOL

AirBrian

AstroLad said:
oh man i think i lost like 100 points off my elo today hahah.
Mine too. I was hovering around 1450 for two weeks or so, plummetted down to ~1300, and am now back up to 1390's. ELO is tough business!

And I blame johnny! :)

Grifter

that's karma you dick!!!

yeah, my wife jumps when the creepy guy talks and then bitches me out, every time. really the main reason i waited until yesterday to turn the sound off. i would forget to put the phone on vibrate at night and the turn would wake her up too.

also, love when i'm around friends and my phone's on the table and it suddenly announces my turn. everyone has this "wtf" face and there's an awkward second where people aren't sure what they heard and if they should ask about it.

Bigfoot

I turned my sound notifications off pretty quickly after getting surprised a few times by the Carc guy. I had no idea what it was the first time.

A couple of questions about mid-game cancellations:

- I got a message yesterday that somebody had dropped out of game and it mentioned something about a win. Does the entire game get cancelled if someone drops out or does the one person get replaced by a bot?

- Also, I have a game in my list that has stalled out for a couple of weeks. Do you guys normally wait it out? If I cancel the game, does it just count as a loss, or does it affect my ELO (or both / neither)?

Thanks everyone for the games recently. I just got in with Game Center but probably should have joined a long time ago. My games list is down to only 5 or 6 games right now so I may spam eveyone with some requests soon. Are 4 player games preferred or are 3 and 5 player games okay too?

elfinke

Didn't realise I wasn't on that list.

elfinke | elfinke

Though hanging with friends and words with friends have been eating into alot of Carc time. Also, I'm in Aust, so asynch multiplayer is a tad, er laggy. To the tune of 14 hours or so, sometimes.

Jonnyram

Porthos said:
A couple of questions about mid-game cancellations:

- I got a message yesterday that somebody had dropped out of game and it mentioned something about a win. Does the entire game get cancelled if someone drops out or does the one person get replaced by a bot?

- Also, I have a game in my list that has stalled out for a couple of weeks. Do you guys normally wait it out? If I cancel the game, does it just count as a loss, or does it affect my ELO (or both / neither)?
If you quit, you lose, everyone else wins, and it affects ELO. Not advised, basically. I usually wait out stalled games.

Grifter

Porthos said:
Thanks everyone for the games recently. I just got in with Game Center but probably should have joined a long time ago. My games list is down to only 5 or 6 games right now so I may spam eveyone with some requests soon. Are 4 player games preferred or are 3 and 5 player games okay too?
Spam away! The async play welcomes that. You can send invites for 3 or 5 players too. My games were mostly 3p at first. Most players here are game at at worst, they can decline.

Top Bottom