• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carcassonne iPhone/iTouch

soldat7

AirBrian said:
How was it? I've never been there but have heard it's not bad for a Texas beach. Plus it's not too bad a drive from Dallas.

It was my first experience with a Texas beach and I'd definitely go back there. Water was warm, gentle waves and super shallow at the beachfront (great for my kids), and camping on the beach is around $20/night. You just drive your car right up on the beach and pitch your tent. Sun sets behind you, but the moon over the ocean is incredible. No WiFI though. :)

Just got this today. Got the boardgame last christmas and absolutely love it so I had to get this. My gamecenter ID is EmptyCanOwupass, I need some gamecenter friends so please add me! :)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I won a fun game against AirBrian 140ish to 110ish. Good game AirBrian, games with you always tend to be interesting. We split a huge farm at the end, each having 5 farmers on it, hah.

Jonnyram said:
JonnyRam 137
Roodiculous 98

Got lucky with churches early on, then managed to tie on the mega-farm.

The endgame was intense, I felt like I was playing a totally different game with us both rushing to place farmers. Although I think I would have been a little short regardless, well played.

Bigfoot

Does anyone think Carc should have an "advanced" mode option when starting games that removes the X's and brings the game closer to the actual table top game when playing?

I played a few games of the table top game over the weekend after only playing iOS for the last couple of months. What I noticed is it is a lot harder to block / screw people because you don't know exactly how many tiles are used and it is hard to consider all possible options unless you slow the game way down by counting tiles and thinking too much. With iOS, I'm playing a game right now where we are each down to 1 guy because it is so easy to move the tile around until you see an X to block them. It doesn't really require much thought anymore.

I think a mode that eliminates the X's and only gives you the total tile count (not how many are left) would be a good option for advanced players looking for something closer to the table-top experience.

It is doubtful this would ever happen however since the developers seem to take a long time making any updates and something like this is much less important than adding expansions, but maybe I'll suggest it anyways.

AirBrian

Yaboosh said:
I won a fun game against AirBrian 140ish to 110ish. Good game AirBrian, games with you always tend to be interesting. We split a huge farm at the end, each having 5 farmers on it, hah.
Definitely a good game! My large city that you jumped in on really changed the game. From that point on I was only playing catchup, and also trying to match all your damn field meeples! LOL! Good luck the rest of the way!

Gaspode_T

Porthos said:
Does anyone think Carc should have an "advanced" mode option when starting games that removes the X's and brings the game closer to the actual table top game when playing?

Yeah, honestly I think it would be a totally different game if they removed that and the option to see what cards are left.

I had a friend at work when we were playing the tabletop game 10 yrs ago, and he was basically an expert card counter for gambling games....he used that skill to utterly demolish us with pretty high consistency. He probably had some equivalent ELO of 2500 or Carc Grandmaster level ;)

Maybe they could just remove it for quick play mode? It wouldn't hurt to try to send e-mail to the devs, you'd be surprised how easy it is to contact people when you try.

Jonnyram

Porthos said:
I played a few games of the table top game over the weekend after only playing iOS for the last couple of months. What I noticed is it is a lot harder to block / screw people because you don't know exactly how many tiles are used and it is hard to consider all possible options unless you slow the game way down by counting tiles and thinking too much.
Agreed. Actually had a few table top games with a friend a few weeks back, and as I got more drunk I was trying to count the pieces left. And we used bottle caps to represent Xs lol. I agree a master mode would be nice.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I used to think that but honestly it's all public information it just prevents giving an advantage to nerds who would go through and count every piece to figure out what's out there, which saves them time to go annoy people and do that in some other game.

Jonnyram

AstroLad said:
I used to think that but honestly it's all public information it just prevents giving an advantage to nerds who would go through and count every piece to figure out what's out there, which saves them time to go annoy people and do that in some other game.
Alright, call it nerd mode then :)
I guess most people I know wouldn't be interested in playing it, though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
nah it does make sense -- i think it's actually jarring at first for most carc players. but i got used to it and like it. options definitely don't hurt though -- let's get it into the next update in 2014!

Bigfoot

Gaspode_T said:
Maybe they could just remove it for quick play mode? It wouldn't hurt to try to send e-mail to the devs, you'd be surprised how easy it is to contact people when you try.

I fired off an email to them this morning so we will see what happens. They are going to have to add an options menu anyways once the expansions are in, so a few more options would be nice. I also sent them a link to this thread so post more suggestions... maybe they will check it out.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'd like a post-game rewind function where people can draw on the board. Would be nice to discuss moves with ppl after the fact.
Also it'd be nice if there was a grid after the game was finished so we could call out specific pieces.

mercviper

The game is such a different beast when you change the # of players that there should be different ELOs per # player game imo. (mainly because 4+ is kicking my ass and killing my 2-player ELO :p)

And the game should show your chosen color on your client, but random ones for other players. They aren't looking at your phone anyway and this would cause less confusion for games with conflicting colors.

Edit: maybe also a choice to end games later than right after scoring so you can chat after you play a couple moves at other tables... And/or let you see if the other person is still there to receive your chats. I never know if the last message I sent is received after scoring and I never know if I missed any.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
mercviper said:
Edit: maybe also a choice to end games later than right after scoring so you can chat after you play a couple moves at other tables... And/or let you see if the other person is still there to receive your chats. I never know if the last message I sent is received after scoring and I never know if I missed any.
yeah i've always been kind of annoyed that there's no viable post-game chat.

Grifter

finished my game with jonny. i won 102-85. he had some big city chances that would've killed me so i spent a lot of time on defense. gg jonny!

Jonnyram

Grifter said:
finished my game with jonny. i won 102-85. he had some big city chances that would've killed me so i spent a lot of time on defense. gg jonny!
gg Grifter, and good luck anyone who gets to play him. He's a beast! :)

Just starting to really get into Carcassonne and really loving it. What a freakin' polished app, pretty awesome. I'm also really digging the solitaire mode.

Anyway! I'm having problems with tactics/strategy. I know how to play the game, I understand the rules, I just don't really have a fundamental understanding of what the best moves are. Should I be blocking players who are building massive castles, or just worry about myself? That kind of thing. And the thing is, it's probably different whether it's a two-person or four-person game, I'm assuming!

Anyone have any good resources for tactics/strategy? Or at least have any guidance for me?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hahah
TheMissingLink said:
Just starting to really get into Carcassonne and really loving it. What a freakin' polished app, pretty awesome. I'm also really digging the solitaire mode.

Anyway! I'm having problems with tactics/strategy. I know how to play the game, I understand the rules, I just don't really have a fundamental understanding of what the best moves are. Should I be blocking players who are building massive castles, or just worry about myself? That kind of thing. And the thing is, it's probably different whether it's a two-person or four-person game, I'm assuming!

Anyone have any good resources for tactics/strategy? Or at least have any guidance for me?
there really is no one good overall strategy since carc is such a tactical game. with 4p it's great to try to work on cities with one other person if you can. then you can try to steal late but you've certainly drawn that person's ire if so. blocking, building, joining all viable options depending on the points at stake, your meeple supply, your opponent's meeple supply, etc.

now i just hope they hurry up with the expansions :/

Full disclosure, I'm 33, MTG was around when I was growing up, but, I never played it or any other deck building/ccg type game. Ever. Until Ascension. So, I'm basically new to this type of game over the past 5 days. And I'm glad the iPad gives me easy and affordable access into these new game types.

The asynch multi of carc is a A+. Ascension has it too though as an A- effort (the live play is very good/perfect, though. It just takes too many button presses to get back into a game when playing asynch) The game itself is fun once you learn it. There are no boosters, there's no way for you to whip something out nobody has seen before. Everyone works off the same cards every game. And its pretty easy to pick up what seems to work well. Carc is very serene while Ascension can be exciting on a move by move basis. Not a knock on Carc, mind you.

I'd recommend it. If Carc is my #1, Ascension is now my #2. They're the only games I keep on my iPads home screen and not away in a folder.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
bigwinnerx said:
I'd recommend it. If Carc is my #1, Ascension is now my #2. They're the only games I keep on my iPads home screen and not away in a folder.
iawtp. the fact that there's a nice gaf community playing it is a big plus, as with carc. hooray for not limiting your audience by going ipad only or killing it entirely by having no async.

soldat7

bigwinnerx said:

Same here. These are the only two games I keep on my home screen and not in a folder.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i do think ascension is a distant second though just based on the lack of elo and chat. dunno if i'll still be playing it so long after buying it like i am with carc they need to get on that

AstroLad said:
i do think ascension is a distant second though just based on the lack of elo and chat. dunno if i'll still be playing it so long after buying it like i am with carc they need to get on that

Yeah, the Chat and ELO thing really brings it down. I would really like to comment on some of those amazing turns people throw down in Ascension, its a game that needs chat even more than Carc! ELO I want, not to see how I rank so much as just to see if im improving.

Definitely the lack of chat needs to be fixed. I'm about to start talking Ascension in my Carc games if I know youre playing both. :)

Excited for the possibility that both get expansions, though I think Ascensions will come first.

Agyar

mercviper said:
The game is such a different beast when you change the # of players that there should be different ELOs per # player game imo. (mainly because 4+ is kicking my ass and killing my 2-player ELO :p)

And the game should show your chosen color on your client, but random ones for other players. They aren't looking at your phone anyway and this would cause less confusion for games with conflicting colors.

My ELO has tanked recently and the 4/5 player games are definitely not helping. So random and they tend to go on for weeks so it's hard to keep track of everything.

Slowly building my Quick Play ELO up as well, one more game to crack 1400.

My ELO has fallen a lot since I started all these games. I will keep that in mind for when these are done, I dont get to focus on any game.

I need to stick to 2-3 player games for a bit, much easier to figure out, and cut back to under 10 games at a time, probably closer to 5 I think.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hahah you can't worry about elo. sometimes you will soar on huge winstreaks and then 2 4-5p-game losses will bring it all crashing down. it's all good....

(i do generally not create 5p games though just because they are like 90% luck, which is a bit much even for me :p)

Im not one to worry about K/D ratio, and ELO and stuff. Its just a nice way to track the fact that im losing a lot more matches lately, haha.

Im just noticing that im not really paying much attention to any of the matches, play my piece and move on, rarely thinking too much about strategy, which is why I need to play less games, and focus on those.

I'd rather have a ton of games with little strategy than few games with a ton of strategy. I dig waking up and seeing it's my move in 20 games.

That said, I'm running low on Carc games. I have lot of Ascension games though, probably about 15.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I have about 10 Carc games (low for me), 5 Ascension games (very low, had to quit out of a bunch where people just weren't taking turns for 10+days, 45 games on Yucata (of varying degrees of difficulty), and 10 games on boiteajeux (Agricola, Alhambra). Think that about covers it. :p

Top Bottom