• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo attacks - Hostage situations ended, 4 hostages reportedly killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alx

Edit: and aparently, not a single hostage died (...yet, some are severly injuried) during the raids.
Respect.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. Nothing official yet, but le Monde claims to have sources telling about hostage deaths, without more information. Le Figaro talks about four deaths and four severely wounded (although they're usually less reliable).
We'll probably get some official information in 30 minutes (Hollande's speech), maybe earlier.

I'm surprised CNN is still reporting that Boumeddiene escaped the market. Multiple sources are now saying she was not there at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if the language barrier seriously affected coverage by English speaking news outlets.

CNN is pretty much garbage when it comes to breaking info. If someone kept stats it would probably be pretty damn bad.

dosh

Holy fuck at BFMTV having interviewed the terrorists on the phone today, both the charlie dude and the kosher guy! They sound so fucking casual when talking.
Chérif Kouachi apparently said that he was commissioned to attack Charlie Hebdo by Al Quaïda in Yémen.

Le Monde specifies that there is no proof supporting any of this atm, it's just the terrorist talking.

Charlie Hebdo print run going from ~60.000 to one million.
Talk about Streisand effect
And this might not be enough. It's crazy for a paper that was in a dire financial situation.

I mean, I never thought I'd see the day Arnold Schwarzenegger would tell people to subscribe to a very left leaning French satirical magazine.
Crazy world.

E-phonk

Banned
Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. Nothing official yet, but le Monde claims to have sources telling about hostage deaths, without more information. Le Figaro talks about four deaths and four severely wounded (although they're usually less reliable).
We'll probably get some official information in 30 minutes (Hollande's speech), maybe earlier.

But nothing points to these deaths being during the raid - it's possible these were the rumoured deaths from before right?

Nugg

Wait what

https://twitter.com/Schwarzenegger/status/553312827415339008

iHxCjEkJv7U90.png

Koren

Tricky part is "during the raid". If people died when they entered the shop (a guy escaping the shop at the same time said they were shooting everywhere in the shop), RAID couldn't do much about this.

If there's only wounded people because of the assault, that's quite an achievement. Even if it's sad for the casualties...

Jisgsaw

I'm kind of angry at BFMTV, contacting the terrorist is already bad, but broadcasting the calls just hours after the hostage takings is irresponsible, it might be damaging the investigation and fuels the terrorists message, especially to Jihadist supporters. This is so wrong.

I would guess they got the go from the police/government?

From what I got, three hostages were killed right at the beggining of the hostage taking, not during the raid.
Some were apparently severly inuried though.

Tugatrix

'Supermarket gunman phones TV station'

Posted at 18:45
BFMTV news channel is broadcasting a telephone interview with a man who they identified as the supermarket gunman, named as Amedy Coulibaly. In the interview, he says he had been coordinating his attack with the Charlie Hebdo suspects and that he was from the Islamic State militant group active in Syria and Iraq.
But he also said he had been sent and financed by al-Qaeda in Yemen, another militant group which is not believed to have had overt ties with Islamic State.

BBC

To the question "What can we do to prevent this ?" Former French secret service agent answers on France 5 that the government has specific and established ways to neutralize individuals that poses such threats, and only needs the will to do so.

Addi

CNN is reporting that a French Police official stated that the women (Hayat Boumeddiene) was in the Kosher store and escaped with hostages. CNN warns that they are not in a position to confirm this though because they say that the info is "softer" than other info received so far...

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/09/world/france-woman-suspect/index.html

That seem to be wrong. French tv talked about the hostages saying there was a second man there. one of the four bodies is not identified yet and they wonder if that was him. One of the cops shouted that the guy had escaped so the RAID apprehended a random guy that had nothing to do with it. So there's still a bit of confusion

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
To the question "What can we do to prevent this ?" Former French secret service agent answers on France 5 that the government has specific and established ways to neutralize individuals that poses such threats, and only needs the will to do so.

Well, that doesn't sound ambiguous and ominous at all.

'Supermarket gunman phones TV station'

Posted at 18:45
BFMTV news channel is broadcasting a telephone interview with a man who they identified as the supermarket gunman, named as Amedy Coulibaly. In the interview, he says he had been coordinating his attack with the Charlie Hebdo suspects and that he was from the Islamic State militant group active in Syria and Iraq.
But he also said he had been sent and financed by al-Qaeda in Yemen, another militant group which is not believed to have had overt ties with Islamic State.

BBC

I thought IS and Al Qaeda weren't allies?

Dambrosi

Banned
"According to reports in the French media the denouement of the two hostage situations in Paris happened after French security forces crept into position on the roof of the printworks moments before opening bursts of gunfire.

Their two suspects, the Parisian brothers Chérif and Saïd Kouachi, reportedly launched an audacious escape bid, charging out of the building firing at the security forces before being cut down in their tracks."

What a bunch of morons.
That reminded me of the ending to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
butch_cassidy_and_the_sundance_kid_end.jpg

Did they think that this was martyrdom? Were they that delusional? All signs point to yes.

I thought IS and Al Qaeda weren't allies?
They aren't afaik, which makes his statements suspect.

Forsete

"Long live the republic, long live France."
From french president just now, ending his speech.

They actually say that? Cool. :)

Magni

What a day for the GIGN!
They finish their job in Vincennes and they have to handle a situation in Montpellier!
waht?

From Midi Libre, the GIGN group that is now in Montpellier came in from Marseilles, so not the same guys as the one up in IdF/Picardie earlier.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Jihadists returning from these areas absolutely need to be rounded up and thrown in jail. We (well, the secret service people and such) know rather well who they are, but unfortunately most (all?) EU countries don't have the laws in place to support doing that. It's simply not illegal to go fight in these areas. That shit needs to be put into place ASAP. I don't want these future terrorists walking my streets, planning out the next great slaughter of innocents. Because there WILL be more. It's pretty much inevitable.

Hollande: France mourns four killed

Hollande confirms that four people were killed in the siege in the Vincennes supermarket. It is unclear if this number includes the hostage-taker.

“I want to salute the police and and all those who participated in the operations. I want to tell them we are proud of you,” Hollande adds, saying they they saved the hostages and “neutralized” the terrorists.

Along with the prime minister, Hollande says “we have reinforced protection of our public spaces, to guarantee that we can live quietly, in peace, so that at no moment we will be subject to risk and threats. But we must remain vigilant.”

“Unity is our best arm.”

Calls the attack on Vincennes a terrifying ‘anti-semitic attack”.

Hollande adds: numerous state chiefs around the world have expressed their solidarity with us. They will be here on Sunday. I will be with them. I call on all the french to get up together this Sunday to carry the value of democracy, liberty and pluralism.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/li...-manhunt-kouachi-terrorist-links-live-updates

François Hollande honoring the victims and the forces engaged to stop the terrorists. Ends his speech with "Vive la République. Vive la France".

That's the last time I post in this thread, everything settling down now makes me realize all we lost in the last 2 days, that's seriously painful.
Let's honor Charlie Hebdo and security forces, these brave men and women with pens or guns against extremism.

Rich!

Just stumbled upon a daily mail article about the shootings (yeah, I know - I should have expected this)

fucking hell

- sensationalist headlines
- numerous photos of charb's wife the moment she found out along with numerous more of her on the floor crying
- quite intimate details of their relationship, stuff that's not relevant at all
- photos from inside the offices, pools of blood everywhere and visible smears where people were crawling and were gunned down
- images of the policeman being shot

none of the other tabloids are any better. in other words:

MbANYhB.jpg
IM SO GLAD THE BRITISH MEDIA IS REPORTING ALL OF THIS WELL AND WITH DIGNITY!!!!!11

Pacbois

As not only a French citizen who strongly believe in the values of my country, but also coming from a algerian muslim family who prefectly integrated and respect those values and our freedom of religion, those last few days were pretty hard.

I know just hope that our nation will bond together to fight intelorance of every form and origin and not fall into the trap of hate. It's going to be difficult, but there maybe hope somehow...

Thanks for all the kind words of supports here, it was nice to see guys.

Now I'm going to get drunk with friends to get some relief. I'll go to the march on sunday, to show my support to my country and it's values, it would be nice meet a few french gaffers.

pulsemyne

Just stumbled upon a daily mail article about the shootings (yeah, I know - I should have expected this)

fucking hell

- sensationalist headlines
- numerous photos of charb's wife the moment she found out along with numerous more of her on the floor crying
- quite intimate details of their relationship, stuff that's not relevant at all
- photos from inside the offices, pools of blood everywhere and visible smears where people were crawling and were gunned down
- images of the policeman being shot

none of the other tabloids are any better. in other words:

MbANYhB.jpg
IM SO GLAD THE BRITISH MEDIA IS REPORTING ALL OF THIS WELL AND WITH DIGNITY!!!!!11
Yeah they do a lovely job the twats. Thank fuck for the BBC. Oh and the guardian. Also in a really odd twist only the Daily star, of all newspapers, mentioned on their front page the muslim officer who died. The Daily fucking star.

Kuldar

"Long live the republic, long live France."
From french president just now, ending his speech.

They actually say that? Cool. :)
The president of the French Republic always ends his speech to the country with this sentence ("Vive la République, Vive la France").

As not only a French citizen who strongly believe in the values of my country, but also coming from a algerian muslim family who prefectly integrated and respect those values and our freedom of religion, those last few days were pretty hard.

I know just hope that our nation will bond together to fight intelorance of every form and origin and not fall into the trap of hate. It's going to be difficult, but there maybe hope somehow...

Thanks for all the kind words of supports here, it was nice to see guys.

Now I'm going to get drunk with friends to get some relief. I'll go to the march on sunday, to show my support to my country and it's values, it would be nice meet a few french gaffers.

Don't worry as a black french myself, those event or any event will not change my view on anything. I'll also be at the march so we might meet there :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom