• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Snaku said:
Dunno what's the source of this pic, but it looks very similar to the monster in the trailer...

imagephp.jpg

THEBEASTIE.gif

Nope, doesn't seem legit. The legs seem to have two knees like demons
Nether%20Demon%20Front.jpg
and the first knee seem to be much closer to the body, almost as if the creature walks like a gorilla.

Tr4nce

Snaku said:
Dunno what's the source of this pic, but it looks very similar to the monster in the trailer...

Shouldn't you spoiler tag your post? I really didn't want to find out until the movie comes out.

aechris

Tr4nce said:

Shouldn't you spoiler tag your post? I really didn't want to find out until the movie comes out.

99% sure that's not it, friend. I'd also recommend staying away from threads about the movie if you're dead set on not knowing anything.

Tr4nce

aechris said:
99% sure that's not it, friend. I'd also recommend staying away from threads about the movie if you're dead set on not knowing anything.

Look, I didn't mean to come across as agressive or something, and I'm not trying to now, but I guess what I meant was that even though this is a thread about the movie, certain things should be spoiler tagged. Just because I'm reading this thread doesn't mean I necessarily want to know what the monster looks like, you know. Even if it's just speculation pics of the potential monster.

:)

Snaku

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Nope, doesn't seem legit. The legs seem to have two knees like demons

Maybe it leans forward onto it's toes/actual feet? Could be that the pose in this model doesn't reflect the way it actually moves in the film.

It looks a lot like the creature in the gif otherwise. The ridge on its back just above the legs. The massive back/upper body. Etc.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Snaku said:
Maybe it leans forward onto it's toes/actual feet? Could be that the pose in this model doesn't reflect the way it actually moves in the film.

It looks a lot like the creature in the gif otherwise. The ridge on its back just above the legs. The massive back/upper body. Etc.

Bah I guess it could be it. Too bad, I think it looks too humanoid. Looks like an 8' tall monster that was scaled up.

Nah that pics not the monster. It's by the guy that's working on the movie (Peter Konig), maybe even the monster design. That specific picture is from 2003.

You can see more of his stuff here:
http://www.conceptart.org/?artist=Smellybug
http://www.peterkonig.com/2006/flash.html

Simply put thats not the monster.

Also a new TIDO Wave post seems to indicate something bigger for this game.

http://tidowave.com/blog/?p=17

January 05, 2008

Do NOT return to The Farm. It’s crawling with agents on Tagruato’s payroll.

It’s a set up!!! All of our members know our goals and motivations are preservation of Mother Earth - NOT mass murder!!! Granted, we’re not upset that Tagruato has one fewer “death station”, but we would NEVER kill to accomplish our goals. This is yet another crime on humanity that Tagruato is trying to push off on the innocent.

And let me be clear: we will not stop until we find our missing brothers and sisters. We can’t give up hope.

Wait for Janice’s picture. Then you’ll know where to meet us. Tagruato’s lies will not go unpunished this time. Something happened to our comrades – and that station - and we’re going to find out - even if we have to go all the way to the top!!!

Could this be a Live Event? That would be pretty awesome.

Rob MySpace update:

Friday, January 04, 2008

You can’t drink just six...
Current mood: adventurous
Category: Jobs, Work, Careers

So I got a job offer, and it's everything I wanted. More money, more power, more creative freedom. I'd even have up to five people working under me, and you know how much I've always wanted underlings. One catch -- I need to move to freakin' JAPAN! The job is the V.P. of Marketing and Promotions for SLUSHO! brand "happy drink." Apparently it's all the rage in Asia. I'd be part of a team tasked with replicating the drink's popularity in the Western world. Here's a link to their most recent TV spot:
http://www.slusho.jp/contest/sample/medium.html Bizarre, I know. I'm sure
Hud would love it. They want us to come up with a more accessible angle to hook an American audience.

When I said I'd be willing to leave NYC for the new gig, I was thinking maybe Chicago or Toronto, maybe L.A. Japan is a whole other extreme. I'm not a particularly worldly fellow, and I'd definitely be in store for some major culture shock. But you know what? Maybe this is exactly the jolt my lame little life needs. A fresh start, and all the clichés that go with it. I'm cautiously psyched. I told them I needed the weekend to think it over, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna take it. I mean, I can't think of a good enough reason not to.

So there we go. Rob is going away to Japan to work with Slusho!

Looks like Slusho might play a larger role in this movie after all.

EDIT: Ah he's got replies from his friends.

Hawk said:
My Japanese friend Kuroki paid me off in Slusho once to settle a bet. That shit is delicious. I’ve been craving more ever since I tried it. Your job will be a piece of cake, Slusho sells itself. Please tell me you get a free lifetime supply or something.

Posted by Hawk on Saturday, January 05, 2008 at 2:57 PM
[Reply to this]
Rob Hawkins said:
They gave me some t-shirts at the interview, you want one?

Posted by Rob Hawkins on Saturday, January 05, 2008 at 2:58 PM
[Reply to this]
:lol

So that explains where Hawk got the shirt for the Teaser. Thats where the whole game started!

HUD said:
Dude I just googled Slusho, did you know they are a subsidiary of some evil oil company called Tagruato? We both know how much you hate oil (you always say “no oil” when you order a hoagie), so you better turn down the job and stay here and live with me forever and ever.

Posted by HUD on Saturday, January 05, 2008 at 3:02 PM
[Reply to this]

Maybe Hud is a TIDO Wave member?

You can hear the Monsters Roar in the Spanish one pretty clear when the debris shoots up. Then also I hear it on the cell phone footage in the station. So the monster brought the station down. Now whats the explosion in the teaser about?

Buttonbasher said:
You can hear the Monsters Roar in the Spanish one pretty clear when the debris shoots up. Then also I hear it on the cell phone footage in the station. So the monster brought the station down. Now whats the explosion in the teaser about?

ok, at first I thought "our first military strike"... but the explosion happens, FOLLOWED by the Statue of Liberty head flying?

Godzilla shot lightning... maybe Cloverfield Lobster shoots fire/explosives? But the poster shows claw marks, implementing some kind of upper-cut to the statue, removing the head and sending it downtown?

TheJollyCorner said:
ok, at first I thought "our first military strike"... but the explosion happens, FOLLOWED by the Statue of Liberty head flying?

Godzilla shot lightning... maybe Cloverfield Lobster shoots fire/explosives? But the poster shows claw marks, implementing some kind of upper-cut to the statue, removing the head and sending it downtown?
It's interesting though, An oil tanker with Tagruato's logo on it is mentioned in the 5 minute clip. I guess it's just that, but why would the monster bring an oil tanker with it, if it just blew up a whole station?

El Papa

TheJollyCorner said:

Godzilla did NOT shoot lightning. Godzilla had radioactive breath that he could concentrate into a blast of energy. :p

I_D

Take a look at this (I just made it)

The knees are double-jointed, and the monster doesn't appear to have a tail.

Assuming it doesn't have a tail (it's hard to see) then it pretty much has to walk like a Gorilla in order to stay vertical.

Either that, or it's a very thin monster who can stand perfectly upright without crushing its own legs.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Tr4nce said:
Look, I didn't mean to come across as agressive or something, and I'm not trying to now, but I guess what I meant was that even though this is a thread about the movie, certain things should be spoiler tagged. Just because I'm reading this thread doesn't mean I necessarily want to know what the monster looks like, you know. Even if it's just speculation pics of the potential monster.

:)

I'm going to have to agree with Tr4nce on this one, most of the stuff in this thread is spoiler tagged or at least it's just linked and not posted here for a reason.

Busty

Banned
I would love this film to be a thrilling ride, but I've a horrible feeling that this movie is going to be a triumph of creative hype and viral videos over actual content.

Also, somewhat bizarrely, CHUD take the opportunity to shit all over the film's marketing effrots as smoke and mirrors, and uses none other than a 'Surfer Girl' quote to do it....

Chud said:
If riding the marketing wave doesn't work for you, feel free to indulge in reports like the one printed by uncommonly well-informed game insider Surfer Girl a couple weeks back ("about as good as that American Godzilla film") or take heart in facts like this one: the only true in-town Atlanta screening of the film is the evening of the 17th. Is that out of secrecy, or fear?

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=13188

Olivier

I have a hard time believing this. Cloverfield may not be that good, but Surfer Girl's source might have forgot how absolutely terrible the American Godzilla remake was.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So I found out that this movie screens in Australia on the 17th.

All I could say was what the hell to my girlfriend when I saw the billboard driving home, since we don't get movies till maybe a few days after US, sometimes extending to a month (i.e. Gone Baby Gone doesn't show up here till late March).

edit: wait I got that all wrong. Timezones for the lose!

TheJollyCorner said:

I think it was more of a scoop and throw. Its taller then the statue.

Busty said:
I would love this film to be a thrilling ride, but I've a horrible feeling that this movie is going to be a triumph of creative hype and viral videos over actual content.

Also, somewhat bizarrely, CHUD take the opportunity to shit all over the film's marketing effrots as smoke and mirrors, and uses none other than a 'Surfer Girl' quote to do it....

The videogame based on Lost was so terrible that when the company sent it to Sony for approval, they refused, saying "no, your game is too boring and has no gameplay, we don't want it on the Playstation 3." This videogame will beat records at being bad and will bomb really hard.

Far Cry 2 has also been delayed because it was terrible. The game does not look like NEAR what has been shown.Even with the best PC available to the developers, the game just does not match what has been shown so far. Far Cry 2 is both bad and requires one hell of a machine (PC) to run.

I don't believe anything she says.

Dead Man

More 'news casts'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTWm1nCgLc English
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTXQVOs3Kxs Russian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Lvl7FORI8 Japanese

All slightly different again.

The producers seem to be taking a very global view of this promotion, and I get to see it a day earlier than the US for once :D

I don't expect the movie to be Academy nominated, I just want it to explore the idea of a monster in a slightly new way, or slightly new presentation. I love the marketing, but have really not built the movie up too much, since I really am not a fan of JJ Abrams other work.

Edit: Original link for the English one
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=290_1199695318

Wes

venison crêpe
Sucks that this comes out in the 1st of February in the UK. I'm not going to be able to go on the internet for a fortnight so as to avoid being spoiled.

Those latest viral vids were cool though.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I wasn't too thrilled about the earlier viral marketing for the movie (the blonde woman webcam stuff), but these fake "newscasts" are outstanding.

Aeon712

Promised my gf I'd see it with her Friday night but me and a couple of friends are going to go see it earlier in the day. I hope it's as good as I'm thinking it will be since I'd hate to have to act surprised at a bad movie :(.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Busty said:
That's my lingering fear as well.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Same thought here.

I've got a feeling, it's going to be a mixture of people hiding in fear and doing stupid things. Throw in a "journey" to go save a girl in a building, and a last desperate escape attempt. And that there won't be MAJOR independance day city wide BOOM effects.

Tr4nce

Busty said:

Yeah, I somewhat agree. I also fear that the movie's mysterious atmosphere will somewhat be blown away as the movie progresses or that the movie is taking a totally different direction than what we are expecting now, seeing things from the trailer and all.

Wasn't The Blair Witch Project also hyped? It did eventually deliver IMO.

So the movie is a Godzilla-type monster movie? Interest down -100%.

And LOL at the final cell phone movie in the boat. How the hell would that footage be found?

Blablurn

Foreign Jackass said:
So the movie is a Godzilla-type monster movie? Interest down -100%.

And LOL at the final cell phone movie in the boat. How the hell would that footage be found?

it's just a commercial to hype the movie.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Souldriver said:
Hey, they're going for the whole "realistic" angle here, so this was also the first thing I thought of."How did they get that footage?"

Sort of, but if you're not willing to suspend disbelief for a viral marketing campaign, you're unlikely to suspend disbelief for the movie itself.

I mean come on -- it's a movie about a giant monster attacking New York. Who CARES how they got cell phone footage in a viral marketing campaign video?!

Iceman

My fear is that it will essentially end up like the Host but with a more unique vantage point (yikes! accidental movie plug!)

While the Host was a well made movie, it was pretty boring.

Blablurn

SteveMeister said:
Sort of, but if you're not willing to suspend disbelief for a viral marketing campaign, you're unlikely to suspend disbelief for the movie itself.

I mean come on -- it's a movie about a giant monster attacking New York. Who CARES how they got cell phone footage in a viral marketing campaign video?!

I appreciate that comment!

Immortal_Daemon said:

Take a look at this (I just made it)

The knees are double-jointed, and the monster doesn't appear to have a tail.

Assuming it doesn't have a tail (it's hard to see) then it pretty much has to walk like a Gorilla in order to stay vertical.

Either that, or it's a very thin monster who can stand perfectly upright without crushing its own legs.

i think it's a walking green penis

I shouldn't sleep anymore. I miss too much.

Jamie and Teddy Video 8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb8wStgyzOA

Nom Nom Nom...You're screwed...

Also as for Live Events:
The Cloverfield MySpace issued the following bulletin:

Come to Rob's Surprise Party in New York next week!

Join us next Thursday night, January 17th for a send off for our buddy Rob, he's moving to Japan! There will be drinking, dancing, and tons of cool people. It will be a party to remember!

We're randomly picking 200 people who RSVP to join us for a big Cloverfield celebration in the Lower East Side. It is going to be a blast!

RSVP to robsparty@cloverfieldmovie.com - make sure to include your FULL NAME and a PHONE NUMBER that we can reach you at. We will let you know if you have been chosen via telephone.

RSVP before Thursday night January 10th at midnight- we're picking winners this Friday!

OFFICIAL RULES: http://www.cloverfieldmovie.com/robspartyrules.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom