• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Priest Black Panther is making me think I'll be getting a Black Panther Hot Toy. Would have gotten Star-Lord but the movie design and new run dampened my enthusiasm a bit.

Hopefully he doesn't job in the movie.

Owzers

Force Awakens blu ray purchased, time to rewatch it....some other day because of spurs/warriors. ( I'm also watching Smackdown today to see if roman gets booed. )

dcbs shipment supposedly arrives tmw! still!

Just finished Vader #18. Can't wait to see him
take out the twins in the next issue. The arrogant prats. Loved how cold the queen was when taking out her adviser.

TheFlow

Banned
Servbot this image sale is your perfect chance to try out a lot new titles for 99 cents.

I am picking up a couple but I basically own everything I am interested in outside of southern bastards, wicked, and drifter

Messi

I too have fallen victim to the Image #1 sale. I assume Ringside is great, because it's about wrasslin and what not.

giphy.gif

My goodness that art is dreadful and is pretty terrible storywise.

tim1138

This all sounds wonderful

Here's some news! Gerard Way joined the panel, and announced that he has his own imprint at DC, called, "DC's Young Animal." "DC is letting me have an imprint called Young Animal. The first book is 'Doom Patrol,'" Way said. It'll be written by Way, and illustrated by Nick Derington. "It's really weird," Way said. It'll pay tribute not just to Grant Morrison's famed run on the series, but the history of Doom Patrol.

Also coming from Young Animal: "Shade, The Changing Girl" from writer Cecil Castellucci and artist Marley Zarcone. Cover by Becky Cloonan. "It's another alien, a woman alien, who's hiding in the body of a teenage girl that used to be a bully," Way said. "She has the Madness Vest. The Madness is kind of taking over."

Another Young Animal book: "Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye." Written by Way and Jon Rivera with art by Michael Avon Oeming. Way said that the comic will deliver on its promise of indeed explaining why Cave Carson -- a sci-fi spelunker introduced by DC back in 1960 -- has a cybernetic eye.

Rounding out the lineup: "Mother Panic," written by Jody Houser, with art by Tommy Lee Edwards and John Paul Leon (covers by Edwards). "This one is set in Gotham," Way said. It'll focus on a new character. Lee pointed out that "Mother Panic" is a mature readers book.

"We do realize that the marketplace is changing, we want to address that chance, we want books that cater to emerging audiences, new readers, people who haven't picked up a superhero comic before and want something a little different," Lee told the audience. "We really welcome Gerard coming back and becoming more involved with the world of comic books."

Another announcement! In the spirit of 1985-1986's "DC Challenge," a 12-issue series where 12 teams of creators told one story, round-robin style, DiDio announced the "Kamandi Challenge," where 12 writers and 12 artists were "carefully selected" and then paired at "random" to tell a story starring Jack Kirby's Kamandi, The Last Boy On Earth.

Here are the teams: Dan Abnett & Dale Eaglesham, Peter J. Tomasi & Neal Adams, Amanda Conner & Jimmy Palmiotti, James Tynion IV & Carlos D'Anda, Bill Willingham & Ivan Reis, Steve Orlando & Philip Tan, Marguerite Bennett & Dan Jurgens, Keith Giffen & Steve Rude, Tom King & Kevin Eastman, Greg Pak & Joe Prado, Rob Williams & Walter Simonson, Gail Simone & Ryan Sook and Len Wein & José Luis García-López. (Yes, that's 13 teams.)

Damn, that all sounds unbelievably cool. Especially digging the Kamandi Challenge, but that's mostly down to not really being familiar with the Young Animal creative teams, but those premises are definitely interesting.

ElNarez

Banned
teams are picked at random but SOMEHOW Conner & Palmiotti end up on the same book?

that's not how the lethal lottery works, you're supposed to not have any sort of plan

He did those Boss Fight prints right?

yasss

His approach is kind of old school illustrative. He renders fully with some red/blue pencils before he gets to work on the actual piece. My fave about him is that he pulls no punches when he talks about your artwork. Only thing he's ever said to me about my art is I need to get better about contrasting my tones. No compliments! haha

Messi

I'll prob get Doom Patrol depending on reviews and if I like the art. I will get Jimmy and Amandas issue of that challenge.

teams are picked at random but SOMEHOW Conner & Palmiotti end up on the same book?

that's not how the lethal lottery works, you're supposed to not have any sort of plan

First thing I noticed lol

tim1138

yasss

His approach is kind of old school illustrative. He renders fully with some red/blue pencils before he gets to work on the actual piece. My fave about him is that he pulls no punches when he talks about your artwork. Only thing he's ever said to me about my art is I need to get better about contrasting my tones. No compliments! haha

Those prints were super cool, I was majorly bummed I didn't hear about the Kickstarter until it was already over.

tim1138

Art and descriptions for the Young Animals line:

DOOM PATROL – This September, in the spirit of Grant Morrison's legendary run on the series, along with other classic incarnations of the characters, writer Gerard Way and artist Nick Derington will put their unique stamp on the world's strangest heroes taking on the universe's strangest villains.

SHADE, THE CHANGING GIRL
– An alien takes over the body of a 16-year-old bully and must face the challenges of being a stranger in a foreign land, plus the consequences of a life she didn't live. Star Wars’ Moving Target writer Cecil Castellucci and artist Marley Zarcone explore themes of madness, alienation, and the bizarre in this sci-fi thriller, with covers by Becky Cloonan. The new series hits shelves in October.

CAVE CARSON HAS A CYBERNETIC EYE
– Writers Gerard Way and Jon Rivera, along with artist Michael Avon Oeming take readers on a strange adventure with DC Comics’ Silver Age character Cave Carson, his cybernetic eye and his college–age daughter as they travel to dark places deep in the earth and mind. Catch this new series in October

MOTHER PANIC – Meet Violet Paige, a celebrity heiress by day and brutal vigilante by night as she takes on the underbelly of Gotham City’s high society. Hitting shelves in November, the series is written by Gerard Way and Jody Houser with art by Tommy Lee Edwards

Shade: The Changing Man has been something that I've been wanting to check out for a while. Is the whole series readily available physically? I see there's three trades that came out a couple of years ago or something.

tim1138

Shade: The Changing Man has been something that I've been wanting to check out for a while. Is the whole series readily available physically? I see there's three trades that came out a couple of years ago or something.

Nope, the whole run was never collected. The whole series is on CMX though

Nope, the whole run was never collected. The whole series is on CMX though

That's a shame considering how much I hear about it. Definitely something I want to check out. Enigma's another on my list but I see there's a trade collecting it.

The Doom Patrol art rules
doom%20patrol_5705847a285ea2.91198225.jpg

SO excited for this. I think the only announcement that could make me happier is something like Fraction on Amazing Spider-Man honestly.

Top Bottom