• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Owzers

I decided to give Remender a chance despite already mentioned tpb damage and started Tokyo Ghost. Initial impression: This is some weird stuff.

I decided to give Remender a chance despite already mentioned tpb damage and started Tokyo Ghost. Initial impression: This is some weird stuff.

Confession time. I dropped this book months ago.

I'm all in on Remender's other stuff but I just couldn't get into TG at all. Then again, it took me awhile to come around on Low so maybe it's just a matter of time.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Kit Seaton the lady drawing the OGN with Leila del Duca.

CfkKL-QUIAAVEy9

She seems very good.

Aizo

Banned
Finally getting some time to read some things I bought recently and long ago this Saturday morning.

I read the first volume of Shutter, and I really love the sense of adventure. Everything is so odd and fresh, so it really gives me the feeling that I'm on this wild journey. Some of the monster design is pretty exhilarating to look at, and it just seems like a genuinely fun comic.

What I'm reading right now is another comic that is right up my alley--Essex County. It is the kind of book that gives me a very certain feeling that resonates so well with me. The feeling of isolation in the idyllic countyside is relatable to me, because up until a couple weeks ago, I was living in an extremely rural part of Japan. Moved back to the big city, though, and the feeling of isolation shown in the second book of Essex County in Toronto is just as vivid.

Messi

Finally getting some time to read some things I bought recently and long ago this Saturday morning.

I read the first volume of Shutter, and I really love the sense of adventure. Everything is so odd and fresh, so it really gives me the feeling that I'm on this wild journey. Some of the monster design is pretty exhilarating to look at, and it just seems like a genuinely fun comic.

What I'm reading right now is another comic that is right up my alley--Essex County. It is the kind of book that gives me a very certain feeling that resonates so well with me. The feeling of isolation in the idyllic countyside is relatable to me, because up until a couple weeks ago, I was living in an extremely rural part of Japan. Moved back to the big city, though, and the feeling of isolation shown in the second book of Essex County in Toronto is just as vivid.

Absolutely agree with your shutter opinions. I love the sense of adventure. It just gets bigger and better as it goes. Such a wonderful and wacky series.

See, I should have just given it one more issue. Now I'm behind. Dammit.

Trade just came out.

I read the first volume of Shutter, and I really love the sense of adventure. Everything is so odd and fresh, so it really gives me the feeling that I'm on this wild journey. Some of the monster design is pretty exhilarating to look at, and it just seems like a genuinely fun comic

I love how obscenely random things in Shutter can be sometimes. It's a very fun and creative book.

TheFlow

Banned
Butcher Baker The Righteous Maker #!1

hory shit. now this is my type of hero. Basically imagine if the comedian from Watchman had superpowers and his own solo book. this is that book. Definitely a 18+ title. The only thing I disliked was it was hard to make out some of the speech bubbles.

5/5.

Messi

I love how obscenely random things in Shutter can be sometimes. It's a very fun and creative book.

Have you gotten to the part recently where
Kate takes drugs and it pulls the reader all the way out until you can see Leilas hand drawing the issue and her panels and shit. Then out to it being packaged and put in stores. It was trippy as shit.

Liked Poe Dameron #1. It's a fun start and is leading into Force Awakens. I thought it would start earlier. Maybe later. The book is well written and it feels like Poe. Had the character voices in my head which was nice. Noto slayed it on art. His Poe is spot on.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Red Skull #2-3 - oh this is only 3 issues? Well ok then. Fun book and by far the most unexpected, cool story, good art, really enjoyed this.

Have you gotten to the part recently where
Kate takes drugs and it pulls the reader all the way out until you can see Leilas hand drawing the issue and her panels and shit. Then out to it being packaged and put in stores. It was trippy as shit.

Ha ha, yeah. That one was a bit weird. But I buy Shutter every time it comes out. I'm all caught up. :D

Butcher Baker The Righteous Maker #!1

hory shit. now this is my type of hero. Basically imagine if the comedian from Watchman had superpowers and his own solo book. this is that book. Definitely a 18+ title. The only thing I disliked was it was hard to make out some of the speech bubbles.

5/5.

Glad you like it. It was definitely an underappreciated book back when it came out.

Owzers

Sillymonkey's Comic Book Challenge: Don't read any comics this weekend.

and go! I think i'm kinda done with Life is Strange, i feel like i'm shambling around a half-movie where i make decisions and then rewind them to make others anyways while slowly walking around to interact with objects. I just want to play Dark Souls 3 and die all the time while swearing during loading screens.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Sillymonkey's Comic Book Challenge: Don't read any comics this weekend.

and go! I think i'm kinda done with Life is Strange, i feel like i'm shambling around a half-movie where i make decisions and then rewind them to make others anyways while slowly walking around to interact with objects. I just want to play Dark Souls 3 and die all the time while swearing during loading screens.

Its already saturday technically so I already failed

Batgirl #50 was an ok ending to this arc. Think I'm satisfied with dropping it here since this was basically the end. No plans to read the Rebirth run.

Overall this run was solid. Nothing really great but you could do a lot worse. While there were some fun moments, I'd recommend the Steph and Cass runs over this any day of the week.

Overall this run was solid. Nothing really great but you could do a lot worse. While there were some fun moments, I'd recommend the Steph and Cass runs over this any day of the week.

Yeah, I liked the first arc of the Burnside Batgirl, but it kinda went a bit off the rails after that. I really loved Babs Tarr's art, though. Can't wait to see how Motor Crush turns out.

frye

It looks like Morrsion's tenure as Editor at Heavy Metal starts at #280. EW has a few previews and the three variant covers.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/07/heavy-metal-grant-morrison-debut-issue

Possibly NSFW.

grant morrison/ben marra is a hell of a weird combo

Batgirl #50 was an ok ending to this arc. Think I'm satisfied with dropping it here since this was basically the end. No plans to read the Rebirth run.

i read all thoese Batgirl comics and have nothing to say except i suspect this is how Young Avengers (Gillen/McKelvie version) haters felt about that book

Owzers

Finished Tokyo Ghost vol 1, it's been a pretty good comics day between that, Black Panther #1, and Walking Dead. The only thing that could ruin that would be reading a Valiant book but i'm smart enough not to make those kinds of decisions.

Tokyo Ghost vol 1 almost seemed like an OGN, i want to read more but am also mostly satisfied with the story as is.
It seemed rather inevitable that Teddy would go back to Led and ruin everything, though i'm not too sure i liked that part either with those same people who filmed Teddy earlier also just happening to be in Japan.

Yeah, I liked the first arc of the Burnside Batgirl, but it kinda went a bit off the rails after that. I really loved Babs Tarr's art, though. Can't wait to see how Motor Crush turns out.
I may try it out but I think I'm more interested in Fletcher's other Image book. Still too far off to really judge though.
i read all thoese Batgirl comics and have nothing to say except i suspect this is how Young Avengers (Gillen/McKelvie version) haters felt about that book

Not familiar with Gillen's YA, what do you mean by that?

frye

I may try it out but I think I'm more interested in Fletcher's other Image book. Still too far off to really judge though.

Not familiar with Gillen's YA, what do you mean by that?

as in: it's a book that's trying to earnestly portray what it's like to be young in the 21st century but it feels like an old person's idea of what that is? it's hard to explain, but as a (relatively) young person myself living in a big city not much of it really resonated or gave me the "oh yeah, i recognize that" feeling that i think it wanted me to have

as in: it's a book that's trying to earnestly portray what it's like to be young in the 21st century but it feels like an old person's idea of what that is? it's hard to explain, but as a (relatively) young person myself living in a big city not much of it really resonated or gave me the "oh yeah, i recognize that" feeling that i think it wanted me to have

Ah, I know what you mean. A lot of that fell kind of flat for me too.

I do have to agree with what Tim and some others were saying on the creative team going back to Babs' photographic memory a bit too much. It was a good idea at first but they used it far too often. I had enough of it by the end.

Kinda funny that the Steph run is only a couple of issues longer than this one and I think it had much better character development while still being straight fun and full of heart.

VanWinkle

Started the DC One Million omnibus. I'm still reading the WW Perez omnibus (a little over halfway through), but I want a little variety after reading only that for the last four days (minus yesterday where I didn't read anything). I read the first 80 pages and it's really cool. I'm looking forward to reading more.

frye

Ah, I know what you mean. A lot of that fell kind of flat for me too.

I do have to agree with what Tim and some others were saying on the creative team going back to Babs' photographic memory a bit too much. It was a good idea at first but they used it far too often. I had enough of it by the end.

Kinda funny that the Steph run is only a couple of issues longer than this one and I think it had much better character development while still being straight fun and full of heart.

yeah, my favourite issues were actually the weird one-offs -- the annual and the wordless issue that Bengal drew -- rather than anything in the main run

I also can't help but think that de-Oraclizing Babs ended up being one of the bigger mistakes DC made in the New 52 because now we have four young female Bat characters all running around

pretty much. i'm digging the Batgirl run okay but it's mostly the art

The Gillen/McKelvie YA is probably the high point of these YA/teen books from the past few years. I liked the two We Are Robin and SW: Runaways issues I read, too

DC pls hire me to write your teenz

yeah, my favourite issues were actually the weird one-offs -- the annual and the wordless issue that Bengal drew -- rather than anything in the main run

I also can't help but think that de-Oraclizing Babs ended up being one of the bigger mistakes DC made in the New 52 because now we have four young female Bat characters all running around

Not to mention it gave her plot armor out the wazoo

frye

^^ that didn't bother me too much tbh but yeah i can see some of that getting annoying

pretty much. i'm digging the Batgirl run okay but it's mostly the art

The Gillen/McKelvie YA is probably the high point of these YA/teen books from the past few years. I liked the two We Are Robin and SW: Runaways issues I read, too

DC pls hire me to write your teenz

right. I also feel Gillen/McKelvie recognized the limits of their perspectives better than the Batgirl people did too but even then those afterparty issues at the end actually felt pretty genuine in a way that none of the Batgirl issues do

DC pls hire me n serp to write your #teenz

tim1138

Essex County was a very depressing read. Rough way to start the day. I loved it.
Cfkt0feUMAEh_CF

Essex County is probably my favorite book by Lemire, he does such an amazing job capturing the melancholy of living in a small town in the middle of nowhere. I try to read it every winter.

Killing & Dying - The first few stories were just light jabs, softening you up for the hook that is the titular story. It is amazing how many story telling styles and art styles Tomine was able to use in the short span of 6 stories.

Fatale #1 - #5 - Picked up the first trade at the library. Is this series complete? I liked what I read but I think I'll read the rest once it is finished.

Top Bottom