• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

Holammer

I think Overwatch can be a prime example of this statement. The game launched with an extremely diverse cast. There were white, black, Hispanic and Indian characters. There were young and old characters, a butch fem and rule 34 fodder. Countries around the world were represented.

That was diverse.

Then they began pandering. Tracer’s gay! Surprise so is Soldier (and maybe Reaper too)! Did we mention gay?! Pharaoh’s a lesbian now and Baptiste swings both ways! Symmetra’s on the spectrum and please don’t wank to D.VA, she has PTSD.

That is wokeism.

Concord jumped straight to the latter with ridiculous nonsense like giving pronouns to a robot. Never in the years that I played Overwatch did I wonder about the pronouns of Bastion or Zenyatta… because they’re fucking robots.
Same thing happened with League of Legends. At least those two developers know they need attractive characters. Riot even fixed Poppy, a butt fugly character with a cute makeover. This was before current year happened, obviously.

i1518166262841253.jpeg

I probably played LOL for 150h or so and I admit to only playing attractive and cute champions in League. Never the ugly or weird ones.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I think the level at which it bombed is a surprise.
It would’ve been a surprise, except they maxed out at 2,388 players during the free beta, and I swear every single preview/impression was something like “it’s OK but not great, it’s a crowded market and other games do it better, and nobody is going to pay $40 for it when those other, better games are free”

They had so many warning signs that this was going to bomb horribly but they pushed it out anyway. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sony basically told them “fuck no you can’t delay it any further, it’s been 8 years, we’re not spending another penny on development”

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Oh it sold 2 thousand copies versus a few hundred

Whooopty doo
Dude, seriously

Redfall had 6000 players and HB2 had 4000 players at one point, games that were also "free" on a subscription service

Concord could not break 700 so far

Right now Concord would kill for those 6000 players

You need to step back and take a break, defending this massive bomb isn't healthy

Edit - There are 400 people playing this game on a Saturday afternoon on launch weekend of a Sony 1st party title

Let that sink in a moment

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This is the difference between Playstation and Xbox shills.

Nobody is pretending that Concord is good. While shills like Klobrille and ColtEastwood will try to convince everyone that Xbox games are once in a generation masterpieces.

Ironically, Indiana Jones may very well be the best Xbox game to come out in the entire Phil Spencer era.

nkarafo

200w.gif

Come on, man. You think PC gamers are so invested in 'anti-woke' rhetoric that they've elected to boycott the game because the devs advocated inclusivity in their...*checks notes*....character designs....
It's a hero shooter... The heroes are the most important thing. By pushing modern day "inclusivity" on them they made them look ugly and unappealing. If your heroes in your hero shooter look like shit, you don't need some kind of "investment" from the consumers part to collectively avoid the game. It just looks like shit so people naturally avoid it.

It's a hero shooter... The heroes are the most important thing. By pushing modern day "inclusivity" on them they made them look ugly and unappealing. If your heroes in your hero shooter look like shit, you don't need some kind of "investment" from the consumers part to collectively avoid the game. It just looks like shit so people naturally avoid it.

I had to google what DEI was, and in fear of being banned, I'm not going to comment on this topic further beyond wishing you people the very best of luck in life.

Stuart360

Could potentially this be the biggest gaming bomb in history when taking into account the 300mil it cost to buy the studio and make the game?.
I cant really think off the top of my head a game that even comes close.

Dude, seriously

Redfall had 6000 players and HB2 had 4000 players at one point, games that were also "free" on a subscription service

Right now Concord would kill for those 6000 players

You need to step back and take a break, defending this massive bomb isn't healthy

Edit - There are 400 people playing this game on a Saturday afternoon on launch weekend of a Sony 1st party title

Let that sink in a moment
Himself and a couple of others could do with a sabbatical.

PeteBull

Gold Member
For sure, you could practically see the audience turning against the game in real time during the reveal.

“Ooh we finally get to see what this Concord game is! Sony bought this studio and the game has been in development for a long time. I bet it’s something good.”

“This is some high quality CGI”

“Alright this feels kinda like Guardians of the Galaxy complete with the quippy Marvel dialog.. oh well, what really matters is the gameplay”

“Finally some gameplay…. Wait, it’s seriously another 5v5 hero shooter? Nobody wants this.”

“Oh my god these are the worst character designs I’ve ever seen”

“LMAO they even put gender pronouns on the character select screen”

“They’re going to charge 40 bucks for this??”
Like i said, perfect storm for megabomb.

So we know redfall made at least 400k in revenue on steam, HB2 100k, and concord at least 30k. Each game costing $100M to make

What do we conclude about these? They are all massive failures. They each lost into 9 figures each, and one closed the studio for good

Selling a few thousand more or being on cheap sub service doesn’t change this fact

Last edited:

Mercador

So biggest bomb of this gen confirmed?

Numbers from Steam are probably friends & family.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
Another very telling thing, dunno if u guys noticed, after so many sites/yt channels got beta codes/made previews for this game, actual reviews are:
https://www.metacritic.com/game/concord/ 6 reviews on metacritic, and 7 on opencritic https://opencritic.com/game/17198/concord

Even woke professional journos sniffed out that bomb from far away, but since game is woke af they knew they cant write the truth(aka point out all its numerous flaws, one of them being extremly bad character design), they couldnt put in review that praised game either coz with such a negative reception already ppl would called them out and their bias/unproffessionalism would be exposed even more.

So they came up with brilliant idea(in their heads;p) that they will simply pretend game didnt launch and not review it at all, that way they dont make any bad blood with gaming community, nor with sony or woke freaks.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Don't fear, you won't get banned because here opinions are allowed, regardless of the condescending tone while not having the slightest clue about the topic in discussion.
Agreed. Unlike other biggoted forums, you can actually have opinions here. Being outright racist and hateful will still get people banned, as it should. But actual discussions are allowed.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Another very telling thing, dunno if u guys noticed, after so many sites/yt channels got beta codes/made previews for this game, actual reviews are:
https://www.metacritic.com/game/concord/ 6 reviews on metacritic, and 7 on opencritic https://opencritic.com/game/17198/concord

Even woke professional journos sniffed out that bomb from far away, but since game is woke af they knew they cant write the truth(aka point out all its numerous flaws, one of them being extremly bad character design), they couldnt put in review that praised game either coz with such a negative reception already ppl would called them out and their bias/unproffessionalism would be exposed even more.

So they came up with brilliant idea(in their heads;p) that they will simply pretend game didnt launch and not review it at all, that way they dont make any bad blood with gaming community, nor with sony or woke freaks.
Hardly anyone is going to bother reviewing the game. Its not even about the review scores. Goodbye Volcano High has a MC score of 81, yet only 15 reviews. But a shit game like Babylon's Fall has 45 reviews.

You'd think a shooter would bring out tons of easy reviews day one due to it being a shooter which is easy to understand and you can pop in and out of matches and get a good feel (as opposed to playing it for 30 hours like an RPG to get around to lots of gameplay and plot). But the nature of the game (a big turn off in visuals and DEI) and nobody wants to touch it even though I'm sure tons of sites got free codes. Similar to Volcano High. Most gamers and game site reviewers dont want to play a SP narrative about gay animal people.

Last edited:

Klayzer

Game is a bomb, it wasn't well received and marketed well, the reaction to the beta sealed the deal.
GaaS is also a risky market because being good isn't enough if you don't have anything unique and you don't stand out.

With that being said...why the studio should be closed? The problem is obviously in the particular choices made with this game not in the talent of the people behind it.
At worst the team will release the already planned contents and they might be used to speed up development of other games ( ex. Marathon) while internally they decide what to get from the experience. And the lessons are that forced DEI is now a minefield in terms of reception and that simply copying others just won't do it.
Hey, I agree. A studio should always get an opportunity to redeem itself, but in thie era of rising development costs, we know how unfair parent corps can be.

S&B has 4x the player count.

a331zN8.jpeg

2aDzHei.jpeg

There's no possible outcome to arrive at other than a total disaster. Sure, maybe it has more players on PlayStation, but not enough to make a difference.
Q6Ydbft.jpeg

With Diablo S8, Warcraft, a new Overwatch season, and CoD beta next week, this game is in serious trouble.

No way to spin it.

Ozriel

M$FT
“But HB2 and Redfall are on GamePass and GamePass is profitable”

- O Ozriel

Oh, Microsoft absolutely lost money on HB2 and Redfall. None of those drove much GP traffic and both bombed on Steam.

Still doesn’t change the fact that none of those failures is at the scale of Concord (financially)*, if this continues.

Nobody was in the ‘Hellblade 2 flop’ or ‘Redfall CCUs’ thread trying to justify with comparisons to Destruction All Stars or Dreams or whatever.

* PR wise, Redfall was a much bigger disaster and ended up killing Arkane.

So we know redfall made at least 400k in revenue on steam, HB2 100k, and concord at least 30k. Each game costing $100M to make

What do we conclude about these? They are all massive failures. They each lost into 9 figures each, and one closed the studio for good

Selling a few thousand more or being on cheap sub service doesn’t change this fact

There’s no way In hell Redfall or Hellblade 2 cost anything near $100m. Ninja Theory are very strong proponents of doing more with less, and even a significant increase in budget for HB2 is still an increase over the $10m budget for the first game.
You’re fully into this ‘misery loves company’ mode, aren’t you?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I don't know why some of y'all are trying to turn this into some weird Microsoft vs Sony this, that's ridiculous.

None of that matters. This is about Concord, and Concord was clearly mishandled. As a result, the game is bombing. As it should. It's a saturated market and they made a game with great visual quality, but everything else is standard/average, etc. Which is absurd for this type of game, especially in a time where there are games doing the same thing or similar for free. This is $40. I'm not sure why they thought that was a good call to make at all. This project as a whole was clearly a dud, and so was that acquisition.

Doesn't matter what "side" you're on, or "this project did better than that one" or vice versa. It just sucks to see. Especially when we should all just be wanting good games, who cares about what studio you're sworn to, lol.

James i was about to defend you and say how your main point is that Concord is a good game (in your opinion anyway), but i see from a lot of your posts that you're just upset that a Sony game has done worse than some of Xbox's faliures.
I should of known really.

Something can be "good", but isn't ever really something an audience will connect to and it was clear, from the outset, this game was never going to find enough of one, doubly so with a price tag attached in a genre that's supremely crowded.

James i was about to defend you and say how your main point is that Concord is a good game (in your opinion anyway), but i see from a lot of your posts that you're just upset that a Sony game has done worse than some of Xbox's faliures.

I’m not upset at all. I hope concord fails, because it’s sad to have a good playing game wrapped around an unappealing package. I hope the studio doesn’t close, but I hope they fire all the professors

In terms of relative failures we don’t know what did worse because we will never get the data on what these games cost. But we know they are all very large failures. Some are making concord a bigger one which is a total joke

skit_data

Gold Member
The idea of combining high production value cinematics with arena multiplayer was everything I needed to see to know someone was making some pretty poor decisions with this game, but I couldn't imagine it bombing this hard.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
While far from being the only reason for this game's disastrous launch, it would be disingenuous to suggest that the designs of the characters, and the way they have been positioned, did not contribute to that spectacular failure.

The characters are universally ugly, poorly designed, and largely exist to cover a demographic that does not play these games en masse. Sorry, but people don't want to play big fat women in their hero shooters. They want wish fulfilment, not lard fulfilment. That goes for female and male players.

Sony used to make successful video games with fat characters. I don't think modern Sony would release a new Fat Princess game.

81yqIrhnADL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
X0LToZr.jpeg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
He'll probably lay off his post going forward where Sony is getting nailed in a thread and he'll end his message with something like.... "well, not as bad as Redfall".

Because if he keeps doing that, gaffers will counter with ".... well, not as bad as Concord"

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I’m not upset at all. I hope concord fails, because it’s sad to have a good playing game wrapped around an unappealing package. I hope the studio doesn’t close, but I hope they fire all the professors

In terms of relative failures we don’t know what did worse because we will never get the data on what these games cost. But we know they are all very large failures. Some are making concord a bigger one which is a total joke
No its super easy to see which one is the bigger failure

Currently 255 people playing this game on Steam

Last edited:

Stuart360

Well i'm pretty sure Redfall or HB2 didnt cost anywhere close to the 300mil it cost Sony to buy the studio and fund the game.
And i'm sure a lot of people are talking about sales numbers and player numbers anyway.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Sony used to make successful video games with fat characters. I don't think modern Sony would release a new Fat Princess game.

81yqIrhnADL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
X0LToZr.jpeg
They’d call it Body Positive Princess and she’d be a lesbian BIPOC with vitiligo who’s stronger than everyone else and doesn’t have to get rescued.

MiguelItUp

Even if they release it, nobody will see it if nobody's playing.
They are committing to support the game with content till April 2025? LOL. ya right.

concord-season-1-roadmap.jpg
Much like Suicide Squad (and other games that have gone the same route) after release content has already been worked, some could already be done, etc. So it's likely it will still be released. UNLESS they decide to pull the plug, but that doesn't always happen. We'll just have to see how it pans out.

I can't imagine this won't be F2P by Season 2, if not earlier.

Well i'm pretty sure Redfall or HB2 didnt cost anywhere close to the 300mil it cost Sony to buy the studio and fund the game.
And i'm sure a lot of people are talking about sales numbers and player numbers anyway.

If you're going to make shit up, use your brain first. There is no data anywhere to suggest Sony spent $300M on the game + acquisition costs.

Do you think Arkane came free with their $8B purchase of Zenimax?

Do you think that Ninja theory came free as well? They cost Microsoft $117M to acquire, and they had previous IP they owned.

So you're telling me that Concord developers cost MORE as a start up company with no previous works/IP than two storied game development houses in existence for a very long time? This shit is comical man! Use your head.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

I had to google what DEI was, and in fear of being banned, I'm not going to comment on this topic further beyond wishing you people the very best of luck in life.
If you have zero knowledge of the subject why do you feel the need to tell others off?

Dei is a real thing brother man

Top Bottom