• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

FunkMiller

Gold Member
oRKsIJg.png

Right, which one of you mad cunts was this?

Fbh

Have normal people stopped going into game development ?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's something similar to what happened to big gaming media.
Some of these people got into positions of power and started hiring and promoting like-minded individuals while blocking the path for anyone they see as "problematic" (which is anyone who doesn't agree with them 100% on social and poilitcal issues).

So now you have this environment with people like "the professor" pushing for stuff like pronouns and ugly characters and your only 2 options are to agree with them or simply stay quiet. Job security in the gaming industry already seems pretty bad so if you work at a studio like Firewalk or Insomniac do you really want to speak out against pronouns and become one of the "problematic" people at the studio?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
They either go into less volatile job markets or they're making their own games/studios. And its not difficult to see this

Couple of guys in one of their mom's basement:

ezgif-1-1f7e4312ef12.gif.676b3e09befb93bf0262be9c9c26a451.gif

3129fc2be44219cbfc623ee2c125c1fe38e29894.gif

Professional studio with multi-billion dollar company backing:

redfall-fight.gif

redfall-vampir.gif

You cannot expect the current crop of AAA developers to make something like Selaco - the notion of "fun" hasn't appeared in their design documents in over a decade.

Filben

Have normal people stopped going into game development ?
It's also often those blue-haired or other differently dyed, weird looking and weird-outfit wearing people who are so vocal and openly about their gender-fluidity or pronouns. It's very rare to find an everyday-looking, sophisticated and intelligent person who you wouldn't guess aren't cis. You know, like your typical collegue from work or the person you work out with in the gym or at the local volleyball match who at one point says "I'm actually trans" or "I don't identify myself with neither of two sexes".

In most cases it is clear as day just from the looks how some people tick.

Jaybe

I’m so happy this has failed spectacularly. 8 years and hundreds of millions of dollars set on fire. Hopefully this gets the attention of gaming C-suite to clamp down on this stupidly, particularly Sony’s. Pronouns for robots, and non-binary crap. Fuck that. I have no patience for radical left agenda being inserted in my games. Decided to sell my PS5 after the Concord’s reveal. It was the straw that broke the camel’s back coming after the Insomniac leak. If Sony is going to take profits from its platform and invest them in this slop, I had zero interest in supporting them further.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
So now you have this environment with people like "the professor" pushing for stuff like pronouns and ugly characters and your only 2 options are to agree with them or simply stay quiet. Job security in the gaming industry already seems pretty bad so if you work at a studio like Firewalk or Insomniac do you really want to speak out against pronouns and become one of the "problematic" people at the studio?

Things like pronouns aren't something you can either agree with or not, for woke progressives it's a moral issue: you're a good person if you support them, you're a bad person if you don't want them in games. And how can you possibly get along with co-workers who make the wrong moral choices? This is exactly what creates an unsafe work environment. So anyone who speaks up against everything woke won't last long in an environment that doesn't support diversity of thought.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Dq3cTFp.png

Even in the discord the butt hurt mods want the game to be an echo chamber. People posting feedback on how to save the game is being taken as hate or trolling. The delusional shit I’ve read in that discord today is insane.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Even in the discord the butt hurt mods want the game to be an echo chamber. People posting feedback on how to save the game is being taken as hate or trolling. The delusional shit I’ve read in that discord today is insane.
But there is literally nothing else to talk about with this game

lmimmfn

Dq3cTFp.png

It's beautiful to see!!!

It feels so good to be right. Game must have been a social experiment, no way they thought this wouldn't bomb as hard as it did.

I'm on chapter 4 of Wukong and it's nuts chapter 3 took me the whole day yesterday. The game is a contender for my GOTY 2025.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I have this feeling that this whole Concored negativity is a meme.

I am obviously out of the loop, but beyond it being a bland Overwatch clone with DEI diversity-for-hire requirements, what is the actual negativity on this game?

This isn't a hit, i am just geniunely asking (and out of the loop, mind you.)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I am obviously out of the loop, but beyond it being a bland Overwatch clone with DEI diversity-for-hire requirements, what is the actual negativity on this game?

That's all it is. But the game is so cynical about it all that you can't help but hate it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I looked on Twitch again and the game is down to just 2,000 viewers that are almost completely evenly split between two #ad streams.

The largest maybe-organic audience is a guy playing it for 45 viewers.

There are 35 people in total streaming this game. 14 of those streams have no viewers.

Last edited:

That's more than enough to seal its fate, especially considering they want $40 for it when other games with FAR more depth and variety are available and wholly accessible for free.

It's bland, it's boring. There's also no real identity--for example, one of the characters puts down shields, but nothing of his character design indicates that. Contrast that to Reinhardt or even Brigitte in Overwatch 2.

Warablo

I am curious if this released F2P if it would have found a small target audience. Might've at least tried it with friends if they did.

Trilobit

image-2024-07-12T143427.582.jpg
image-2024-07-12T143226.498.jpg
image-2024-07-12T143149.580.jpg
image-2024-07-12T143114.577.jpg
image-2024-07-12T143037.365.jpg

Seriously. What were they thinking…

I can often see where the designers were going with their choices even if I don't particularly like the endresult. With this I have absolutely no idea and it's horrendous. The more I look at it the worse it gets. Who was this game even made for?!

There's also this running joke about how western developers often portray black women in a very unflattering way and this is unfortunately no exception.

It feels so good to be right. Game must have been a social experiment, no way they thought this wouldn't bomb as hard as it did.

I'm on chapter 4 of Wukong and it's nuts chapter 3 took me the whole day yesterday. The game is a contender for my GOTY 2025.

So good it might win GoTY for this year and next?

I am curious if this released F2P if it would have found a small target audience. Might've at least tried it with friends if they did.
Not really. The game came at the wrong time and without anything new or innovative to offer the hero shooter genre. The Heroes are hideous and the lack of defining features like ultimates and whatnot put it behind anything else in the market right now. It'd be dead either way as it is.

People aren't receptive to another hero shooter at the moment.

Last edited:

dottme

you basically got it. It’s bring nothing to the genre. It is more expensive than better alternative.
it’s hard to see who might be the target for this game. The only people I can see buying this is DEI ally that want some Internet point. But that’s not a lot of people.

DaGwaphics

No, DEI would give fat peoples equal athletics to an in-shape character, otherwise its fatphobia

Season 2 Shrug GIF by The Office

There aren't different strengths and weaknesses to the characters? In the developer interviews I remember them mentioning 3 or 4 different character "build" types, did that not make the final game?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
There aren't different strengths and weaknesses to the characters? In the developer interviews I remember them mentioning 3 or 4 different character "build" types, did that not make the final game?

I mean like all hero shooters there's different roles but they all shuffle around the map at the same speed. Doesn't matter if you pick the skinniest character or the biggest fat fuck, they'll run and sprint equally.

DaGwaphics

I mean like all hero shooters there's different roles but they all shuffle around the map at the same speed. Doesn't matter if you pick the skinniest character or the biggest fat fuck, they'll run and sprint equally.

That's unusual that they play the same. Generally at the extremes you get the big, slower characters that are harder hitting and the smaller, less powerful characters that can dodge and move quickly.

uh oh

oRKsIJg.png

Did I or did I not call this?

Top Bottom