• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

FunkMiller

Gold Member
A meteor strike kills Bazz, DaVeers, Daw, Duchess, Emari, Lark, IT-Z, Kyps and they dissapear from the game.

A new ship arrives with white, heterosexual player friendly replacements:
  • Badass blonde white fit chad
  • Badass red haired white jacked mega chad
  • Badass brown haired white super jacked giga chad
  • Badass ninja robot
  • Sexy blonde white woman
  • Sexy red haired white woman with big boobs
  • Sexy brown haired white woman with huge boobs
Take note from the character design from The First Descendant and ZZZ.

Remember that over 90% of the FPS players, over 90% of the tactical shooter players and over 90% of the eSports games players are (cis) men, and statistically most of them heterosexual. Also remember that most FPS are played in Europe and mostly NA. So, looking at the skin color statistics in these regions, most are white (which includes Mediterranean/latin tan whites).

I mean, most FPS players are white heterosexual cis men from NA and EU. So the character design should be mainly focused to appeal them, who mostly are the ones who pay these games. "Diverse" characters are ok as fillers to complete the cast adding visual variety with different colors and body shapes, but if you want to make a character based (hero shooter, fighting, gatcha) game successful you must make several characters very appealing to the demographics of that gaming genre instead of filling woke/DEI representation quota checklists.

Sorry, but this is pretty damned racist.

Nobody here who isn’t an asshole is advocating for just a bunch of white people only in their games.

It’s right and fair to include people from other ethnicities.

The problem is when they are unattractive, dull, badly designed, corporate mandated characters with little to zero appeal to anyone other than a bunch of entitled activists.

Have a word with yourself.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Thanks for this. Despite loving Concord crashing and burning and everyone laughing and pointing at it, I hate it when people group the gays who have been hijacked by the communist folx movement. Just look at what they did to the fucking rainbow flag. It’s a design nightmare and now totally meaningless except for virtue signaling.

I absolutely hate what these people have done to old classic gays and lesbians from the 80s and 90s that completely integrated and everyone was cool with. The folx movement keeps backfiring and it’s a fucking shame.

Fuck Concord.

Sending love, man!

what is going on is such a load of bullshit

Trilobit

The money sunk into making the game would have been built into the purchase price.

Man, you certainly aren’t subtle about this shit.

There are black heroes/agents/legends in Apex Legends, Valorant etc. And it hasn’t hampered popularity one bit.

All that matters is quality.

DsF5JN2.png
a60fNgM.png

Now this is how they should have designed their characters. Proper style and attitude.

Bernardougf

I sure this is fake rumor
It came from chris gore who is a well kown source with connections in the business... he also said lucas film is a lost cause and still is doubling down on the nonsense but marvel "apparently" is handling the failure of fase 4 seriously. Yeah it could be bullshit but fuck it.. let me dream 😅

mdkirby

Re: follow-up to my previous post.

As a Black, Muslim man, it's really difficult for me to weigh into this discourse surrounding 'DEI' topics because it delves into a theme of identity politics that were a large part of my formative years. This isn't even to mention the fact it seems to be used as a dog whistle by certain corners of the poltical Right. Full disclosure; I am not unbiased when it comes to this.

Having said that, I'm not entirely ignorant of the arguments surrounding it, either. But this is not a Coor's Light moment.

Even though many gamers may have strong political views, the medium is still largely isolated from political division. Concord failed because of it's awful, ambiguous reveal; poor reception; lukewarm character designs, and being released in a saturated market at $40, while its competitors are free. It did not fail because the characters had pronouns, or because Firewalk wanted to appeal to 'modern audiences'.

What surprised me were the extent to which some people here were so persuaded that, in fact, it failed specifically because it was 'woke'. With all due respect, that's completely delusional - you are in too deep at that point.

You can be 'anti-woke', anti DEI and still think Concord failed because of a myriad of reasons games tend to fail, particularly Sony GaaS titles. If this were a chapter discussing this game's failure, the pronoun controversy wouldn't be more than a sentence. Instead, some of you have made it to be the Title; Sub-title; Captions and even the Barcode. It is extraordinarily inflated sense that really stood out to me.
Nice to see the other side represented and speaking up here :)

Whilst I agree somewhat that gaming as a whole is somewhat isolated, and this probably doesn’t rise to the level of a coors light moment. Due to demographics (and timing), I wouldn’t underestimate its impact in this particular instance.

1. 93% of FPS players are male
2. 75% of gamers are white (12% black)
3. Sci fi heavily tilts male
4. 95% of US males identify as cis

So concords core demographic due to its gaming genre and thematic genre will be overwhelmingly cis white males. That’s just how it is for their choice of genre and theme. (Other themes and genres would have been somewhat more suitable)

Now that in and of itself is not an issue, however, US white males tilt quite heavily republican. These are not “normal times” politically in the U.S. it’s times of very extreme polarisation, exasperated by it being an election year, where the very things concord has chosen to place front and center being a major cultural inflection point, that republican males have been conditioned to reflexively reject.

The devs have also gone about it in such a hamfisted unashamedly (and unapologetically) aggressive way, and their devs/community mangers have directly been telling people NOT to play the game, and insulting ‘gamers’ more broadly), that even centrist or soft left are turned off by it.

They’ve clearly presented it as “if you’re a cis white male; this isn’t for you”…worth noting, that helped along by a generation growing up watching Andrew Tate etc, black and Latino males have also been (whilst not a majority) moving to the right. I’m also not sure what the intersection is of black/latino males and LGBT interests are. But I expect that intersection of diversity may further reduce their addressable market.

Again, not in and of itself an issue, but they have immediately made the game relatively niche, ruling out a majority of the addressable audience for specifically this type of game…yet have spent the levels of money developing it that you would for something with broad demographic appeal. Like, sure, make games for niche audiences, we all deserve games that speak to us, just don’t spend hundreds of millions.

Their DEI focus will also feed into influencer marketing and organic social traffic. It’s a highly divisive title in a politically charged period. Left wing accounts will talk about it because it aligns with their audience already, right wing will just slam it, however the critical middle ground will avoid it, because it will alienate a large section of their audience, regardless of what angle they take. Safer just to ignore it and talk about something else.

In addition to all of that, they are fighting the same issues that all big GAAS titles have been suffering from, which is the major pushback now against the predatory practices of GAAS as a model, which has resulted in a graveyard of failures this year.

Arguably one could say the DEI focus also impacts this too, as the already reduced audience concord are targeting are liable to be the most sensitive towards exploitative corporations money grabbing shenanigans. Notably, minorities (which demographically due to the systemic issues and under representation concord wants to champion) are over represented among the lower socioeconomic groups (and have less disposable income), and the ‘left’ more broadly being in the “eat the rich” camp. So are even more ideologically primed to reject GAAS than the broader, already dissatisfied public. The limited spending power of the 18-25yr old core demographic has also been eaten by Wukong this week.

This is in addition to all the non DEI issues you mention, So yeah A LOT going against it, and it would have almost certainly been a flop regardless of DEI. But it would, imo be incorrect to assume these choices didn’t play an important role in the sheer scale of the flop. Not that there’s THAT much difference between 500 players and 12,000 players. Either are catastrophic for a 200mil hole (or however much it cost)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Nobody here who isn’t an asshole is advocating for just a bunch of white people only in their games.

The problem is when they are unattractive, dull, badly designed, corporate mandated characters with little to zero appeal to anyone other than a bunch of entitled activists.

This 100%. Give me characters from all walks of life, just put some effort in and make them cool as fuck. Basically, Apex Legends is a great example of fun Saturday morning style cartoon characters that look great!

Last edited:
It came from chris gore who is a well kown source with connections in the business... he also said lucas film is a lost cause and still is doubling down on the nonsense but marvel "apparently" is handling the failure of fase 4 seriously. Yeah it could be bullshit but fuck it.. let me dream 😅
Considering that they scrapped acolyte and purge everything related to it, maybe not all hope is lost regarding Lucasfilm?

Bernardougf

Considering that they scrapped acolyte and purge everything related to it, maybe not all hope is lost regarding Lucasfilm?
They did the exact same thing with Willow and even removed from the stream ...I think they do it only to stop losing money with image rights....

Lucasfilm should be a case study of a company burning money for 10 years and killing a 4-5 billion dollar IP in the name of extreme feminism and wokeness..... and I would love to see KK contract, must be one mf tight contract. Nothing else explains.

They did the exact same thing with Willow and even removed from the stream ...I think they do it only to stop losing money with image rights....

Lucasfilm should be a case study of a company burning money for 10 years and killing a 4-5 billion dollar IP in the name of extreme feminism and wokeness..... and I would love to see KK contract, must be one mf tight contract. Nothing else explains.
The case of study should be attributed to a single person for most of it, Kathleen Kennedy. That woman spit on the whole legacy of Star Wars out of spite for George Lucas.

nkarafo

Or just make the world/story/characters you want.

You want a diverse cast? Fine. You want white people only? That's fine too. You want black people only? Fine as well.

I wouldn't want to have to check boxes or follow mandatory guidelines for my own damn story.

My game, my book, my movie, whatever. Everything should be OK as long as it's legal. The audience/market should decide for it's success or failure.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Re: follow-up to my previous post.

As a Black, Muslim man, it's really difficult for me to weigh into this discourse surrounding 'DEI' topics because it delves into a theme of identity politics that were a large part of my formative years. This isn't even to mention the fact it seems to be used as a dog whistle by certain corners of the poltical Right. Full disclosure; I am not unbiased when it comes to this.

Having said that, I'm not entirely ignorant of the arguments surrounding it, either. But this is not a Coor's Light moment.

Even though many gamers may have strong political views, the medium is still largely isolated from political division. Concord failed because of it's awful, ambiguous reveal; poor reception; lukewarm character designs, and being released in a saturated market at $40, while its competitors are free. It did not fail because the characters had pronouns, or because Firewalk wanted to appeal to 'modern audiences'.

What surprised me were the extent to which some people here were so persuaded that, in fact, it failed specifically because it was 'woke'. With all due respect, that's completely delusional - you are in too deep at that point.

You can be 'anti-woke', anti DEI and still think Concord failed because of a myriad of reasons games tend to fail, particularly Sony GaaS titles. If this were a chapter discussing this game's failure, the pronoun controversy wouldn't be more than a sentence. Instead, some of you have made it to be the Title; Sub-title; Captions and even the Barcode. It is extraordinarily inflated sense that really stood out to me.

It’s a BUD LIGHT moment, you just needed to read the headline and the products in front of the guy. Given this miss, and your weird self-identification preamble, and that you’ve missed major social media discourse on this game despite ‘following’ it, I figured something was off. 7 years in the purple forum with major YouTube channels and Twitter accounts banned and moderator silencing will do that. Looks like you’ve got a week left in your ban before you can go back and put your head in the sand again.

BlackTron

Popped into the Reddit and sounds like matchmaking for some modes is timing out due to low player count, even on PlayStation.

Guess the “it did substantially better on PlayStation” wasn’t all that substantial

But if they're getting to 9/10 players before timing out and PC gets around 4 or 5 out of 10, that shows a substantial increase

yurinka

Nah, if something you're the racist one who need to have a word with yourself.

I didn't say it's bad to include other ethnicities, I said the FPS/tactical shooters/eSports, have a very specific demographics (all 3 over 90-95% male, and statistically most males are cis and hetero, and mostly from EU and specially NA so mostly white and latin/tan white) and that the devs designed the characters to be on purpose not attractive to that demographic and instead trying to make it appealing for an audience that isn't even a 10% of these genres.

I said it's ok/good to try to appeal new audiences but it's plain dumb -as we saw with the sales- to reject over 90% of the people who pays for these games by not including the types of characters that are more popular for that audience when being a hero shooter (as in fighting/gatcha) is key, very important that players find the characters charismatic and likable.

I said that it is smarter to focus on making sure that the main audience of the genre will love it by adding the types of characters that are more popular among them, and then on top, as a secondary extra, to add some variety with "diversity" characters to try to expand the audience.

Technically the characters are well designed in their varied silhouette shapes, art, animations and differentiated gameplay and skills following what they have been asked to include. The problem is that they have been asked to include ugly, uncharismatic, non-white characters unattractive to specifically male, heterosexuals and whites because some woke racist, sexist and heterophobic decided so.

They are free of going woke and add the cast they want, but as business it's suicidal to reject almost the whole audience of the type of product/service they are making. Because, as we saw, pretty likely they get the "go woke go broke" result.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Or just make the world/story/characters you want.

You want a diverse cast? Fine. You want white people only? That's fine too. You want black people only? Fine as well.

I wouldn't want to have to check boxes or follow mandatory guidelines for my own damn story.

My game, my book, my movie, whatever. Everything should be OK as long as it's legal. The audience/market should decide for it's success or failure.
Look at something like Overwatch or even go back to Street Fighter 2. They had a roster of diverse characters from all over the world and we loved it.

Diversity wasn’t so much the problem, nor was it “failing to reflect the racial makeup of the target demographic”, it was the ugly non-feminine women and non-masculine men + pronouns. It’s got that “modern audiences” stink to it, and people have become very sensitive to this stink nowadays after seeing so many franchises turned to shit because of it.

Last edited:
As one of the biggest Playstation fans out there, I really hope Sony gets fucking rammed in the ass by this. What a piece of shit game.

First Factions, then the Spiderman multiplayer, now this? I hope they are losing their balls.

It's time to bring back the tried and true single player games of the 2010's with great tact on multiplayer modes.

Last edited:
Concord is not a Firesprite game

A meteor strike kills Bazz, DaVeers, Daw, Duchess, Emari, Lark, IT-Z, Kyps and they dissapear from the game.

• Badass ninja robot

Remember that over 90% of the FPS players, over 90% of the tactical shooter players and over 90% of the eSports games players are (cis) men, and statistically most of them heterosexual. Also remember that most FPS are played in Europe and mostly NA. So, looking at the skin color statistics in these regions, most are white (which includes Mediterranean/latin tan whites).

I mean, most FPS players are white heterosexual cis men from NA and EU. So the character design should be mainly focused to appeal them, who mostly are the ones who pay these games. "Diverse" characters are ok as fillers to complete the cast adding visual variety with different colors and body shapes, but if you want to make a character based (hero shooter, fighting, gatcha) game successful you must make several characters very appealing to the demographics of that gaming genre instead of filling woke/DEI representation quota checklists.

ngl......Concord sucks, but this is a pretty terrible take.

• Badass ninja robot

This post makes me want to invest in Sweet Baby.

yurinka

This is the case in every game - if there is a pre-made character majority of people will play as that one. In World of Warcraft the most popular race ever was always Human Male, and that game had skinny Night Elves chicks.
Yes, also happens in most games: in Street Fighter 5 or 6 the most played characters normally have been, in addition to whatever character was recently released, Ryu, Ken and Akuma plus 2 or 3 'hot chicks' (normally Chun, Cammy and Juri) and one or two character more in case it was specially broken/god tier.

In case of Concord, the most played character of the beta was the most similar to Ryu equivalent (white-ish muscular, non freak male character pretty balanced in terms of gameplay): Teo.

Last edited:
Popped into the Reddit and sounds like matchmaking for some modes is timing out due to low player count, even on PlayStation.

Guess the “it did substantially better on PlayStation” wasn’t all that substantial
No wonder why the game's most ardent defenders are spending more time here than playing the game in question.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

• Badass ninja robot

Is this sarcasm?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

His post looks like it's straight from Stormfront lmao.

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
This whole things been massively entertaining.
This and suicide squad are the gifts that keep giving. I totally understand people being upset these threads keep being made but for me it's schadenfreude.

Shouldn't have canceled factions fuck sticks. I really don't believe anything Neil says about them not being able to handle a live service game. So instead they put this uninspired sloop out.

Keep the bad news coming

yurinka

Is this sarcasm?
No, obviously the meteor thing and removing half of the cast is a joke, it's something they never would do specially now that the game tanked and pretty likely they'll cut their post launch support budget to the minimum.

But the demographics from the game genres/types, the demographics from North America and Europe, plus percentage of cis/hetero, are objective statistics. Can be easily found, I can provide them if you want.

Regarding players prefering characters idealized projections of themselves (power fantasy in case of action games for males, so badass, handsome, muscular versions of themselves) or that find attractive (hot chicks in case of males) is a subjective idea, but a pattern seen in what works in games, movies, comics, advertisements, etc.

Diversity is not an actual value, in the sense that it doesn't make a product any more valuable. I'm surprised this fallacy has a predicament among normal people.

If well done, it may add variety and that's fun, but there's nothing inherently good in being diverse as there isn't anything wrong with being all-(insert gender or ethnicity of choice). Both may be equally good or bad, depending on the author's skill.

Sometimes, diversity gets in the way of lore and worldbuilding. If your characters are originally from an isolated region, they cannot be diverse. It's fucking common sense.

In the case of an assorted bunch of intergalactic heroes, diversity comes naturally without enforcing it. However, if they were from the same region, they could be all white, black or green, and whoever called that racist would prove himself a prick.

Top Bottom