• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

You have to at this point as its their only game

Seems Sony bought them based just on what they saw of this game

Or they impulse bought *something* since Microsoft was(I think) going on or well into their buying spree and it was a moment of "Well, we gotta do something and GAAS is the trend to chase".

ManaByte

Jim did the classic "farting in the elevator as he's leaving".
IJXeoO.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$200m is a big enough investment to try and salvage. F2P announcement around the corner.
I don’t know where that $200M comes from, but I got to admit that seems fishy.

I don’t see how this game could take $200M to make. That kind of money is for AAA established franchises. No way a noname first game for a studio has that high of a budget. Unless someone thinks that $200M is the cost of buying the whole studio which also includes dev costs too..

I’ll take a wild guess and say this game costs no more than $50M all in to make. And that even includes limited marketing and those YT vignettes.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I don’t know where that $200M comes from, but I got to admit that seems fishy.

I don’t see how this game could take $200M to make. That kind of money is for AAA established franchises. No way a noname first game for a studio has that high of a budget. Unless someone thinks that $200M is the cost of buying the whole studio which also includes dev costs too..

I’ll take a wild guess and say this game costs no more than $50M all in to make. And that even includes limited marketing and those YT vignettes.

It's $200M because they made it like a TLOU or GoW game. Full motion capture, paid actors, weekly produced cinematic storylines. They were trying to make a FPS version of the big budget "movie" games PlayStation is known for. All of this from a studio run by a guy with ZERO game development experience. The studio head was a MARKETING executive on Destiny at Activision (not Bungie like people are reporting).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I’ll take a wild guess and say this game costs no more than $50M all in to make.
Even if the true cost to create this game is closer to your $50M number, conservative estimates put sales of this game currently between 50k-75k units sold across all platforms. At $39.99 a pop, that's $2M-$3M in sales (and Valve gets 30% of those Steam copies sold! And don't forget about all the free keys given away that skew those numbers!). That's only, at best, a 6% return on investment, even if the production cost is as low as you think.

And, unfortunately, online-only multiplayer-only games like this typically don't have long legs unless the player base somehow steadily grows over time. Even if your $50M is accurate, they would need to sell 1,250,313 copies over the game's lifespan at full price just to break even (and again, this number ignores Valve's cut). I think we all know by now that they'll end up nowhere close to that.

tmlDan

buying the studio should be counted as part of the loss, this game is the reason Sony bought the studio, which makes it worse, because now Sony has to continue paying salary for 170+ employees, that's on-going cost.....unless of course they lay them off soon
Well, here's hoping there's some sort of redemption arc, we should never root for people to go out of business.

Despite Concord sucking, i can see the potential in the studio. Maybe a rejig of the staff will help.

ReBurn

Gold Member
You have to at this point as its their only game

Seems Sony bought them based just on what they saw of this game
My brain wants to believe Sony bought the studio and game as a way to get a live service game out there more quickly than starting from scratch and, much like the Bungie acquisition, didn't spend too much time looking behind the curtain. They just wanted to start bringing in revenue ASAP.

Any truth to this. If true this is one of the biggest, if not the biggest flop in gaming history

But nobody is interested in a new Socom game. Even If a Socom II remaster/remake is on top of the Playstation Blogshare requests.

Let better burn millions of dollars for shitty games nobody asked for.

24 hour peak was 241 and the precipitous drop continues as it stands only at a measly 138 at lunchtime.

I don't know if it'll reach or exceed 241 today...the decline continues.

Cyberpunkd

Assuming a studio size of 150 people, and 6 years of development, would that even cover the salaries?
Where are they based? If in Europe 50k€ is probably something like 70k€ with social payments.

150x70 = 10.5mln€ per year, but with a lot of assumptions - I don’t think all 150 people were employed for full duration, they probably got some grants, etc. Still a hefty sum.

At early stages the project was about 50M usd. That was in the very beginning. Adding acquisition and everything else, 100-150M is a realistic figure.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Where are they based? If in Europe 50k€ is probably something like 70k€ with social payments.

150x70 = 10.5mln€ per year, but with a lot of assumptions - I don’t think all 150 people were employed for full duration, they probably got some grants, etc. Still a hefty sum.

Firewalk is a game development studio based in Bellevue, Washington

Which means they getting those nice high western salaries in very expensive liberal state :)

protonion

Refund everyone.
Stop the servers.
Cancel every stupid gaas project in the pipeline.

This will cost less than any other scenario.

Then,

Put Ryan and Hulst in a rocket and launch it to the sun.
Purge every woke/dei etc employee and leave no trace of wokeness in future games.
Go back to epic single player AAA games.

Heads will roll again.
WTF! Are they a Hydra or something where you cut one off and two grow in it's place. j/k
Let the studio die and repurpose/move the competent devs....all 3-4 of them.

This should serve as a cautionary tale (again) of how NOT to develop a game. Unless your intention was to go after the very niche market. If so, more power to you and keep burning that through that Sony money!

KiteGr

WTF! Are they a Hydra or something where you cut one off and two grow in it's place. j/k
Let the studio die and repurpose/move the competent devs....all 3-4 of them.

This should serve as a cautionary tale (again) of how NOT to develop a game. Unless your intention was to go after the very niche market. If so, more power to you and keep burning that through that Sony money!
They did go after a Niche market. They went after the fabled "modern audience"!

Fbh

The $40 is to fund their dumb weekly cinematic stories that everyone just skips. It was a stupid idea in the first place.

They'll stop doing those and then make it F2P.

The $40 isn't just to make cutscenes, it's an important aspect of how the game was supposed to make money at first.
The cosmetics store from what I've seen is pretty bare bones right now, most of the skins are just basic color variants and the few that offer bigger cosmetic changes do nothing about making the characters look better and, in some cases, somehow make them look even worse (like the ones people were posting in the previous couple of pages in the thread).

If they want to transition to F2P and have a chance to make any money they need to get a new art team ASAP and start working overtime to offer more and much better looking skins.
If you want to make money as a F2P game you need characters people will like enough to get skins for...and you need skins and other cosmetics that actually look good/cool/funny

Last edited:

jubei

Neo Member
The $40 isn't just to make cutscenes, it's an important aspect of how the game was supposed to make money at first.
The cosmetics store from what I've seen is pretty bare bones right now, most of the skins are just basic color variants and the few that offer bigger cosmetic changes do nothing about making the characters look better and, in some cases, somehow make them look even worse (like the ones people were posting in the previous couple of pages in the thread).

If they want to transition to F2P and have a chance to make any money they need to get a new art team ASAP and start working overtime to offer more and much better looking skins.
If you want to make money as a F2P game you need characters people will like enough to get skins for...and you need skins and other cosmetics that actually look good/cool/funny
I wonder if the plan was to release with really ugly characters at launch, then charge too dollar for skins. I can imagine that conversation going like, "What does Overwatch do *wrong*? Simple. Their art is too good- Many players don't bother buying skins because the default skins look the best anyways!"
Either way, catastrophic failure.

Banned
I don't personally understand what Sony was thinking here. I'm not anything special in the brains department and even I could have told them it was a fools errand to release a $40 game into a congested market of f2p titles, especially when you aren't doing anything special to differentiate your product from the others.

Denorion

It’s a classic case of emperor’s new clothes. Everybody thought it, but nobody dared to question it out loud. So everyone assumed they were the only ones thinking it.
If I were to guess, one developer early on the project must've pointed out how the character designs were unappealing and ugly, he/she got reported to HR for "creating a hostile work environment" and got punished.
Everyone saw it and decided to stay quiet

Fbh

I wonder if the plan was to release with really ugly characters at launch, then charge too dollar for skins. I can imagine that conversation going like, "What does Overwatch do *wrong*? Simple. Their art is too good- Many players don't bother buying skins because the default skins look the best anyways!"
Either way, catastrophic failure.

Nah that would be pretty insane, and if that was the case the game would have probably launched with an extensive cosmetic store with good designs.
I think the sad reality is that Firewalk (or at least the higher ups there) really thought these were compelling designs and that the game has a strong art direction

GermanZepp

The $40 is to fund their dumb weekly cinematic stories that everyone just skips. It was a stupid idea in the first place.

They'll stop doing those and then make it F2P.

I just can't conceive of someone thinking that a weekly (or a monthly) cinematic was a good idea. Even with well-known characters it would raise more than one eyebrow.

I think with these small numbers, the only ones still playing the game are some influencers, who were hired by Sony to promote the game.

Is it too late to pull the game and write it off, like WB did with the Batgirl movie?

Last edited:

Holammer

I haven't seen any sponsored videos of Concord until now and of course it's Muselk dumping it on his garbage channel.
That guy will do anything for some chicken-feed, so I'm not surprised. He got internet famous playing TF2, Overwatch and later Fortnite.

I haven't seen any sponsored videos of Concord until now and of course it's Muselk dumping it on his garbage channel.
That guy will do anything for some chicken-feed, so I'm not surprised. He got internet famous playing TF2, Overwatch and later Fortnite.

This game looks absolutely terrible in every way. The environments are so uninspired and unappealing. All the characters look ridiculous. The graphics look immensely dated. I don't understand where all the money went for this game.

larrybrady

Neo Member
Right now,less ppl are playing this than helldivers,,,hell divers one that is(wich is a solid game).... Curious to know the PlayStation player count.. if you go to the PSN store,it's been rated over 8300 times,I believe you can only rate a game if you buy it first(?).. I know overall that's still a crazy low number,but at the same time it feels like a lot for this specific game

Jaybe

Right now,less ppl are playing this than helldivers,,,hell divers one that is(wich is a solid game).... Curious to know the PlayStation player count.. if you go to the PSN store,it's been rated over 8300 times,I believe you can only rate a game if you buy it first(?).. I know overall that's still a crazy low number,but at the same time it feels like a lot for this specific game

Wonder if the free beta participants can leave a review, might explain why it isn’t less

ManaByte

Oh fuck me it gets better. That explains everything.

Yea when they announced the Firewalk purchase they sold him as the "SVP of Destiny at Activision". They REALLY buried the lead. Yes, he was a SVP, but he was over the Destiny business unit which meant he oversaw Marketing and PR at Activision, not development.

Top Bottom