• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

Kotaro

In 2022 The Last of Us 1 had sold close to 27 million copies on PS3/PS4 combines, the sequel had sold 10 million copies. My guess is that the remasterd PS5/PC port of TLoU 1 will have pushed the sales to at least 30 million copies. I don't think TLoU 2 for PS5 will have sold that well since it was identical to the PS4 original (no reason to upgrade) and the PC version hasn't been released yet.

Bloodborne Remastered for PC/PS5 would've cost 1/10 of Concord and would probably sell 7-8 million copies

Topher

Gold Member
Game has 59 players on Steam nad 58 people watching on Twitch.

RKlZQ4m.png

Star Wars GIF by Johanna Healy

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
How many more woke-infested games have to flop before they finally realize that catering to those....people....is not going to work?

How many woke-infested games have actually been successful?
It can work…if your game is any good. However, I’d argue that a good game will work on its own merits and that adding DEI will not make it any more successful than it otherwise would be.

So you’re right that it doesn’t work. It just doesn’t do anything for the game. At best, it does nothing and at worst, it harms it.

Also, more and more companies are moving away from DEI. Video games will inevitably follow suit once the sleazebags at the top realize it doesn’t make them money.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Any time I start feeling bad for them, I think of The Professor, and the think about what type of company would hire someone like that, and then it cheers me right back up again.

Between "professor", the ex-employee calling people "talentless freaks", the lead character designer crying about "white privilege"..........the toxic culture of that studio is pretty obvious.

While successful, it also sold poor compared to the original entry. Probably went from being Sony's biggest IP to notably behind God of War.
It was very successful as far as successful metrics go, but you’re right. The first one sold over a billion dollars worth while the sequel only hit around half a billion. That may also be due to the 400 different remakes the first game had, which I’m guilty of buying. I didn’t even finish playing the sequel. The woke garbage just kept slapping me in the face the whole time. “Bigot sandwich” was one of the most annoying lines that Ellie throws out right at the very beginning.

Last edited:

Boglin

Damn, look at how many threads there are and how many pages we're at for this game.
I'm sure we're proving correct the age-old adage that all publicity is good publicity so I bet the developers probably love all of us to death 😊

Topher

Gold Member
Any time people start feeling sorry for Sony, they should remember shit like this.

They don’t give a fuck about their audience that have sustained them for many years. It’s all about the easiest, quickest way to make the most cash. Fuck ‘em.

I'll always be a fan of those PlayStation games that came out of the PS3 and PS4 generations. And now when I see shit like this and I think of how the money they sunk into Concord could have been used to make more of those core PlayStation experiences......just pisses me off. Sony should have doubled down on what they were doing right. I still find it hard to believe that a studio owned by PlayStation made shit like this.

Hookshot

Gold Member
I'll always be a fan of those PlayStation games that came out of the PS3 and PS4 generations. And now when I see shit like this and I think of how the money they sunk into Concord could have been used to make more of those core PlayStation experiences......just pisses me off. Sony should have doubled down on what they were doing right. I still find it hard to believe that a studio owned by PlayStation made shit like this.
That's another crazy part to this, misreading your fan base so much. There are plenty of Nintendo franchises I have never bothered to play but I can't imagine any of them selling so badly under 700 people would bother in the release week.

BbMajor7th

Sony Corp and shareholders would have pressured PlayStation to keep growing. They were already killing it with market share and quality single-player IPs by the end of PS4, so there was little juice left to squeeze on that front. Hence the expansion onto PC, the move towards film and television, and the massive investment in GAAS. You can never be successful enough in the corporate game - even if you're close to outright owning your traditional market and can efficiently spit out GOTY contenders every single year, it doesn't mean shit - do twice as much next year or lay off some staff.

DaGwaphics

Less than a week after it released it has less players than staff who worked on it, so even they have given up on inflating the player count. This truly is the floppiest flop that ever flopped. 8 years work for 6 days "fun".

To be fair, the developers probably play on PS and not Steam, it is first party and all. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Hookshot

Gold Member
To be fair, the developers probably play on PS and not Steam, it is first party and all. :messenger_winking_tongue:
Good point. But we know they gave out keys to randos and media outlets so we can never know exactly how bad it was. We will never know how many of the 697 weren't paying customers, but if each of the 200 staff gave out two keys each...

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It was very successful as far as successful metrics go, but you’re right. The first one sold over a billion dollars worth while the sequel only hit around half a billion. That may also be due to the 400 different remakes the first game had, which I’m guilty of buying. I didn’t even finish playing the sequel. The woke garbage just kept slapping me in the face the whole time. “Bigot sandwich” was one of the most annoying lines that Ellie throws out right at the very beginning.
I think the general public are finally catching on as well. Just in the last year or two it really feels like something has changed. Like in the back of people’s minds they’ve known for some time that something has been ruining their entertainment, now they’ve become much more consciously aware of it and learned to identify it.

Bud Light + Harley Davidson backing off from DEI, Target scaling back their pride month stuff, Madame Web, The Marvels, Indiana Jones, Suicide Squad KtJL, The Acolyte, Rings of Power, Sweet Baby Inc Detected, Snow White, anything that looks like it’s for “modern audiences” getting ratio’d to hell, etc etc

Used to be that if they just hyped the shit out of something + shamed the critics into obedience by labeling them a bunch of phobes, they could get audiences to gobble up whatever entertainment slop they were pushing without questioning it.

That ain’t working anymore. The audience has caught on to their tricks. And I think if they go all in with the “modern audiences” shit in the next Spider-Man, Gow, Horizon, or TLoU game, they are going to see a lot more immediate and forceful pushback from the audience. Maybe they won’t flop but it will make a noticeable impact to their sales.

I think the general public are finally catching on as well. Just in the last year or two it really feels like something has changed. Like in the back of people’s minds they’ve known for some time that something has been ruining their entertainment, now they’ve become much more consciously aware of it and learned to identify it.

Bud Light + Harley Davidson backing off from DEI, Target scaling back their pride month stuff, Madame Web, The Marvels, Indiana Jones, Suicide Squad KtJL, The Acolyte, Rings of Power, Sweet Baby Inc Detected, Snow White, anything that looks like it’s for “modern audiences” getting ratio’d to hell, etc etc

Used to be that if they just hyped the shit out of something + shamed the critics into obedience by labeling them a bunch of phobes, they could get audiences to gobble up whatever entertainment slop they were pushing without questioning it.

That ain’t working anymore. The audience has caught on to their tricks. And I think if they go all in with the “modern audiences” shit in the next Spider-Man, Gow, Horizon, or TLoU game, they are going to see a lot more immediate and forceful pushback from the audience. Maybe they won’t flop but it will make a noticeable impact to their sales.
Exactly. I used to blindly buy things because I love the franchise. Now I’m much careful of who my money goes to. Speaking with our wallets is the only way to get these people’s attention.

HogIsland

I actually was excited to play this game, even for $40. But Playstation is imposing the PSN sign-in and it doesn't work with Steam Deck / Steam OS. As long as Sony is going to ruin Steam support, I'm not buying their shit. The Finals and Overwatch work great and are free, so I'll play those instead.

Any time people start feeling sorry for Sony, they should remember shit like this.

They don’t give a fuck about their audience that have sustained them for many years. It’s all about the easiest, quickest way to make the most cash. Fuck ‘em.
I really don't think Bloodborne is dead as a franchise. Sony will eventually release that remake / remaster for sure.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

The problem is that developing a game is like steering a tanker. The push back against wokeism is getting stronger all the time, but even if studio heads are taking notice, it will take years before we see that change reflected in the games that are coming out. It takes 5-6 years to develop an AAA game, a game with a release date in 2025 was probably conceived in 2020 when gamers weren't that clued in to what was happening.

Personally I'm not too hopeful. Sony studios like Naught Dog, Insomniac, Guerilla are all infested by woke politics. It's going to get worse before it will become better.

PeteBull

Gold Member
The problem is that developing a game is like steering a tanker. The push back against wokeism is getting stronger all the time, but even if studio heads are taking notice, it will take years before we see that change reflected in the games that are coming out. It takes 5-6 years to develop an AAA game, a game with a release date in 2025 was probably conceived in 2020 when gamers weren't that clued in to what was happening.

Personally I'm not too hopeful. Sony studios like Naught Dog, Insomniac, Guerilla are all infested by woke politics. It's going to get worse before it will become better.
4sure, thats why burden is on us- players/customers to point those clueless devs into right direction, they will get the point after few more woke non innovative games bomb hard and bring heavy losses while at the same time games w/o politics and agenda, like for example wukong, thrive and get amazing sales numbers.

Kotaro

Yup, Sony's studios are at the forefront of wokeness movement in gaming industry. and I don't think that's gonna change anytime soon with Herman Hulst at the helm. Probably gonna take several mega flops like Concord to educate them

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Yup, that sure sucks for them. Not my problem. Hopefully they correctly identify the dipshits adding negative value to their product when it comes time for the next round of layoffs.

I’ll be over here playing something else in the meantime. I have plenty to keep me busy between Japanese games and my huge Steam backlog.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Fire Herman Hulst. He's a bonafine clown.
I'm glad people are starting to realize this. GAAS push + tanking the brand to squeeze out some short term cash on PC + mismanagement of the schedule and teams + this bizarre push to make Horizon a thing = dude sucks and is going to leave Sony a pile of rubble to clean up.

Last edited:
I sometimes believe these companies either no longer do the market research with different groups of potential consumers, or they disregard it.

And if they are doing the market research or hiring a firm to do it, fire them cause they are not hitting the right groups or doing it expansive enough.

But let's be real.... if they are doing said research, they are looking to confirm their own personal wants and conducting it in such a way where they will get close to the results they want. Then they hand it to their clueless executives to validate their decisions. It's probably all a finesse game by the lead producers.

Last edited:

kikii

I'm glad people are starting to realize this. GAAS push + tanking the brand to squeeze out some short term cash on PC + mismanagement of the schedule and teams = dude sucks and is going to leave Sony a pile of rubble to clean up.
i love TFD which is gaas =) but such as Concord and Dumbborn i dont like that they push their own agenda aka "the Message" to ppl, noone wana see pronouns in their game or any other "trigger" stuffs :p

Fake

Gold Member

IMO Wolverine will be their final coffin.

I mean, Wolverine vs Deadpool is like the movie back from the badass gigachads, but when people that saw the movie go and play Wolverine they will get a huge surprise.

This will open the eyes of the consumers.

Last edited:
I'm glad people are starting to realize this. GAAS push + tanking the brand to squeeze out some short term cash on PC + mismanagement of the schedule and teams + this bizarre push to make Horizon a thing = dude sucks and is going to leave Sony a pile of rubble to clean up.
All Sony first party titles have been shit this generation.

The last good Sony game I played was Ghost of Tsushima.

Top Bottom