• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

Killjoy-NL

hahahahaha. no

Just like the 'modern audience' that likes to talk a lot, but never shows up to buy the games, I also have zero interest in this sort of game. I do find the discourse around it interesting tho.
I think there is a lot of overreaction, but at the same time, they're not wrong. Lol

mdkirby

PS5 is certainly higher than on Steam, but it's certainly not good.

I can say that matchmaking wait times went from an average of 20-30 seconds (to enter your first match*) outside peak hours during the launch weekend to 1-2 min average outside of peak hours the last few days.

* wait times seem to be much faster when you requeue from the post-match screen, somewhere from 5-30 seconds on average.

Edit:

From my experience.
Is a minute or 2 pretty normal for any multiplayer game that's not a big hit? Like are people particularly put off by it, or is it just pretty normal?

Games naturally have a drop in players from their launch into the days and weeks ahead, but any drop in this game is truly felt.

I'm sure that the PS section has a higher player count, but I doubt it's more than a few thousand at best at peak times.

It's already dropped completely out of the best sellers after struggling to reach #44 or 45.

With CoD beta, Astro Bot, and complete apathy surrounding this game, there's no additional playerbase going to come in. Nobody is buying it at this point..

And those few thousand won't stick around for long, certainly not long enough to keep a reasonable playerbase until Season 1, which I think may well be the only Season they get, IF they get it.

I look for queue times to continue to get progressively worse in the days ahead.

Killjoy-NL

Is a minute or 2 pretty normal for any multiplayer game that's not a big hit? Like are people particularly put off by it, or is it just pretty normal?
No idea, depends on the popularity of the game, I suppose.

But matchmaking for Concord last weekend wasn't any different from a game like COD and it was certainly faster than OW (ranked at least).

2 minutes is kinda long, imo, but like I said, on average wait times are drastically lower if you requeue from the post-match screens, making em fall in line with COD again (during peak hours).

MayauMiao

Meanwhile on Twitch, there is only one row of Concord streamers still playing the game.

d2FAMtk.jpeg

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
They're mixed with PS5.

The big question is what the CCU on PS5 is.
low af despite sony doing everything in their power to bump it up, official yt playstation poland channel streamed this shit 6 times already lol, all times with very low viewcount;p
Lets give it benefit of the doubt and assume playstation ccu is 4x that of steam, which currently is 55, so 220 ccu;D
and that is literally only week after launch with tons of free copies/paid influencers etc, lets fast forward 3 more weeks... ;D

Bernardougf

Sure thing, Seattle is a top 10 most expensive city in the US, and Sony are paying to employ 170 ostensibly skilled professionals who are in high demand that they have to both poach and fend off poaches from. The average coastal US game dev salary exceeds $150k/year in salary alone, the actual costs to the business is way higher than that. They also have to pay mountains of premium benefits on every single head (i.e. platinum family insurance plans, cellphone plans, work from home internet plans, luxury car leases for the C-suites, etc...), mountains of state and federal employee taxes on every single head, and lease a luxury office studio with artisanal juice bars, meditation corners, and fine dining lunch caters. Then millions upon millions more in miscellaneous overhead like farms of high end computers/monitors, Herman Miller chairs/desks throughout, utilities, office supplies, toilet paper, etc... How much exactly do you think all that costs, a couple million a year? How else do you think Miles Morales, a 4 hour long DLC that reused every single assets within, cost $150,000,000 to produce?
All this shit to come up with Concord and "white man the devil" gotchas ? This cant be real

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

low af despite sony doing everything in their power to bump it up, official yt playstation poland channel streamed this shit 6 times already lol, all times with very low viewcount;p
Lets give it benefit of the doubt and assume playstation ccu is 4x that of steam, which currently is 55, so 220 ccu;D
and that is literally only week after launch with tons of free copies/paid influencers etc, lets fast forward 3 more weeks... ;D
Nah, Predecessor had like 2K peak CCU on Steam during open beta and thevast majority of players on PC, wait times were ~40 sec - 1min on average.
(Going by memory)

PS5 CCU should be higher than that. Still pathetically low for a Sony title, but not 220 either.

Then again, I'm not a dev and just making guesses here.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

While successful, it also sold poor compared to the original entry. Probably went from being Sony's biggest IP to notably behind God of War.
Yeah I tried to push this conversation a few times but the cuckman lovers convention always gets their panties wet and come screaming.... from the absolute lack of numbers I really think this game underperfomed in relation to the first one and/or expectations. It should have been Sony biggest blockbuster ever and then Ghost of Tsushima and GoW became more successful.

But I will say this ... I can at least respect the artist keeping to his vision in a obviously very high quality (technically speaking) product, He earned the right as Kojima also did to do what the fuck he wants, but the consequences of this is loosing sales and part of the fanbase. This will almost sure be felt in their next game if some ideology isnt changed.

Portugeezer

With such low numbers causing long queue times, this will go F2P quicker than I expected.

Or in the very least they'll do like the beta and make it available to all PS Plus subscribers. Won't be enough.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Nah, Predecessor had like 2K peak CCU on Steam during open beta and thevast majority of players on PC, wait times were ~40 sec - 1min on average.
(Going by memory)

PS5 CCU should be higher than that. Still pathetically low for a Sony title, but not 220 either.

Then again, I'm not a dev and just making guesses here.
U assuming ps5 players are more woke and more into multiplayer shooters than pc crowd, both very unlikely xD

Bernardougf

Sony Corp and shareholders would have pressured PlayStation to keep growing. They were already killing it with market share and quality single-player IPs by the end of PS4, so there was little juice left to squeeze on that front. Hence the expansion onto PC, the move towards film and television, and the massive investment in GAAS. You can never be successful enough in the corporate game - even if you're close to outright owning your traditional market and can efficiently spit out GOTY contenders every single year, it doesn't mean shit - do twice as much next year or lay off some staff.
Problem is that the strategy was not doing twice ... was replacing strategy and changing focus... was basically changing the winning team midgame to players you never saw, but hear they were so great in another type of game, to try and score more goals in a 10 x 0 soccer match.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

U assuming ps5 players are more woke and more into multiplayer shooters than pc crowd, both very unlikely xD
No, but I do know Playstation gamers in general are less of a crybaby.

Both PC and Playstation have very different demographics and until Sony says something, we're all just guessing.

All I can do is compare wait times and CCU for Predecessor to those of Concord with the numbers I know.
I could easily be way off.

nkarafo

It’s got to be tough. I suspect a few are already prepping their resumes.

I honestly feel bad for them. They are human beings and this wouldn’t be a fun time to endure.
I feel bad for the genuine devs who did their job. I don't feel so bad about the activists though. Not sure what the ratio is but it seems the activists in the studio are either the majority or the ones in the important positions.

PeteBull

Gold Member
No, but I do know Playstation gamers in general are less of a crybaby.

Both PC and Playstation have very different demographics and until Sony says something, we're all just guessing.

All I can do is compare wait times and CCU for Predecessor to those of Concord with the numbers I know.
I could easily be way off.
just checked ps store best selling games, concord was at the end of 7th page behind ac unity, gow3 remaster, asseto corsa competizione etc
https://gyazo.com/303118ee07c55d6872d535b20b7f6598 screenie in polish but u can check it in english urself :D
edit: changed region to US and concord is on 3rd page there https://gyazo.com/fa6f54899fe2c4403083548a8ce5e6ee

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

just checked ps store best selling games, concord was at the end of 7th page behind ac unity, gow3 remaster, asseto corsa competizione etc
https://gyazo.com/303118ee07c55d6872d535b20b7f6598 screenie in polish but u can check it in english urself :D
That's not disproving what I said though.

But for the third time, I'm going by my observations in Predecessor vs Concord (and COD matchmaking times as well) and based on that I assume that CCU on PS5 is a lot higher than on Steam and Predecessor, which had ~2K CCU on average on Steam.
Though I could be way off.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
That's not disproving what I said though.

But for the third time, I'm going by my observations in Predecessor vs Concord (and COD matchmaking times as well) and based on that I assume that CCU on PS5 is a lot higher than on Steam.
Though I could be way off.
It should be higher coz of all those free copies/sony dev teams playing, but in terms of actual sold copies to actual customers its just as terrible im sure =D

Killjoy-NL

I saw 55 at one point today, but when losing 1 player actually effects the percentage of people playing the game, I think it still counts as important.
This would become even more of a problem if a significant portion of PS players turn off crossplay, which would then also lead to a much fast decline on PC compared to PS5.

nkarafo

Oh, for sure but they are still human beings and I feel empathy for them. The paycheques from last year or the year before won’t make them feel better today or tomorrow.

With all the layoffs in the industry, it’s got to be a scary time fear for ones job.
Sure but the reality is, a lot of people who work in the industry right now should have never been hired in the first place. It's their own fault the DEI hire practices blew on their faces.

this thread now has almost 3 times as many postings as Concord had players at its peak.
Can we start packing this up?

This is beyond beating a dead horse now, it already feels like digging up a grave.

So, just curious, but it’s on 57 players on steam at the moment. The numbers really don’t change much at all, so that’s 5.7 games currently running, with I guess 7 people sat in a lobby…given the numbers are pretty static what happens to those 7 players? Can they enter a game with a smaller team? When you finish a game does it rotate players so some of those 50 sit in the lobby whilst the 7 get to play? Or are those 7 people just not able to play for an indeterminate amount of time?
I suppose they wait for one of the matches to be over?

I heard matchmaking takes up to 6/7 minutes now. So the perfect game to play while doing laundry.

Z O N E

Cross-play is turned on by default.

Well, that brings up more questions as a lot of the PC crowd is complaining about not finding games.

So either, PS5 players are purposely all turning cross-play off, or the matchmaking is prioritizing controller players to match each other over just matching anyone with anyone, or something along those lines.

Killjoy-NL

Indeed, we basically have argument who is stronger, a toddler or 2 toddlers, when in reality they are all super weak xD
Yeah, that's why I said numbers are low regardless of what the PS5 CCU is.

Well, that brings up more questions as a lot of the PC crowd is complaining about not finding games.

So either, PS5 players are purposely all turning cross-play off, or the matchmaking is prioritizing controller players to match each other over just matching anyone with anyone, or something along those lines.
Yeah, no idea how it work.

Curious how it works anyway, because there is a big difference between the initial queue times vs the ones when you requeue at the end if a match.

nkarafo

Get fucked devs

Go back to making games you clowns
These particular clowns never actually made good games before. These are DEI hires or activists who were hired during the woke bubble, in the last decade. They were always like that, this is the only reality they know.

The actual good old devs who made good games before this decade are either scattered, retired, fired, quit, dead, who knows. You see any pics of any big studios nowadays and they are usually at the back, trying to hide behind the obese blue haired weirdos.

This is how "good old studios" that made "good old games" looked like

Do you see any activists in there? How do you think these same studios (the ones that still exist) look nowadays?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

These particular clowns never actually made good games before. These are DEI hires or activists who were hired during the woke bubble, in the last decade. They were always like that, this is the only reality they know.

The actual good old devs who made good games before this decade are either scattered, retired, fired, quit, dead, who knows. You see any pics of any big studios nowadays and they are usually at the back, trying to hide behind the obese blue haired weirdos.

This is how "good old studios" that made "good old games" looked like

Do you see any activists in there? How do you think these same studios (the ones that still exist) look nowadays?
And this is why i'm not that much of a doomer when it comes to modern games 👇

xmhrq3bm9dq01.jpg

Iw7IYyX.png

upload_2018-12-8_23-20-38-jpeg.497676

12_2014_Studio_picture.jpg

Respectively:
Factorio, Deep Rock Galactic, Beamng, Doom eternal

Killjoy-NL

So you think the PC people that didn't buy into this shit are crybabies?
If so, that's an interesting take.
I was talking in general. Hence, "in general"

As for Concord, I've already said that I think people are overreacting, but not wrong.

Make of that what you will.

Last edited:
Most likely only the devs who created this turd are playing It now.

In addition, Sony developers who have made mistakes are forced to play this crap in their free time.

As punishment, of course.

Because in general they seem to make a big deal over the pettiest shit.

But is that really something to discuss in here?
I mean you did bring it up by saying PS5 players were less of a crybaby in general. I was just curious what made you think that?
It's clear that you think this is a good game. I don't play on PC as much compared to consoles, but I don't think of people that play on PC as petty (in general) at all.

Edit: I'll drop it because I don't want to derail the thread/fun further.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I mean you did bring it up by saying PS5 players were less of a crybaby in general. I was just curious what made you think that?
I was responding to someone else though.

But I've addressed it a couple times before in other topics.
It's clear that you think this is a good game.
"Good" is a bit of a stretch.
I've been 50/50 on it ever since the first beta and that hasn't changed at all.

At best I think the core gameplay is solid.
Other than that I've always agreed with pretty much all the criticism.

Last edited:
Top Bottom