• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

pCj69jq.jpeg

I figure we'll all be blamed for this soon.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Every time a live-service game with horrible character design, catering to woke agenda, fails to penetrate an oversaturated market, the most annoying people on the planet will be there to blame anything but the creator’s lack of understanding what their target audience actually wants.

O WAO GAIZ/GAYZ, HOO KULD HALV PROFESIZED THIS RADICLE TWISTENING OF EVENS?!

Gaming journalism, not even once.

Nydius

Probably already been said but this is probably the best course of action Sony can take in this matter. It at least buys them a bit of goodwill back by admitting failure and refunding customers their money rather than leaving them stuck with a completely dead on arrival game.

Edit: I feel bad for anyone who decided to buy a physical copy though. They’re not getting a penny back because retailers, at least here in the US, are very strict about no refunds on open software. Even if the game is no longer in operation.

Last edited:
Chappelles Show Lol GIF

Sony pulling the plug and issuing full refunds not even a month after release pretty much says the game it not salvageable, not because it's a broken product on a technical level, but due to the insane people running that studio incapable of making rational decisions. The game's aesthetics were deliberate design choices. They chose to pander to the snowflakes while alienating the people that would actually buy the game.

Sony will probably shut the studio down soon.

Quantum253

Gold Member
I find it interesting the level of surprise of killing the game. There's high cost in server maintenance and keeping services going, especially when there's no customers. Generally, game revenue supercedes the cost. It's risk/reward. It doesn't at all surprise me they took it down. Those servers are operating at a loss.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Can someone make a new thread and poll about Fairgame$ asking when it will be taken down? 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 months etc?
Fairgames$ at least looks MUCH more interesting from a art style and will probably offer something more unique in terms of game modes.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
To me, the studio is getting shut down soon. there is no demand for it even when it was on a free to play beta.

sony is cutting losses and the best way to do it is to immediately shut down the studio.

Seems to me they would've announced that right away if that were the case. But I guess we'll see.

finalflame

I agree that to the masses being woke dont make much of a diference if the game was good. Like Spider Man 2. But it all adds up to get bad press from youtubers and influencers.
Yah, that we can agree with. It was just a complete fuck up or a game with plenty of bad decisions along the way.

They need to fire the design team at Firewalk and give the rest a chance to work on a single player title.......or merge the remaining devs into PS Studios
The crazy thing is that from what I’ve read and heard, the lore in Concord is actually great and complex enough for a PvE campaign. The lore writers were being way too thought out and detailed for a game where you will never interact with said lore, because you’re too busy shooting at an opposing team.

They don't know....

lDWo1Wg.png

the captain GIF

eHNwmDb.jpeg

Funny thing, this development might actually make the player counts track upwards again 😲.

Joking aside, this is a good thing. Concord was DBA just going from the beta numbers, let alone at release. Ideally, it should've been delayed at least a year to rework the character designs and fix up some odds & ends to give it a better shot as a B2P hero shooter.

At least as-is, the game's tech can be salvaged for other uses. Firewalk can probably do well with a pre-existing legacy IP on a AA budget/timescale like Killzone or Resistance, or as a support studio for tech & content in games like Helldivers 2, or even non-GAAS as support for the main studios. But they aren't gonna be ready for a AAA original IP for a long time.

Hopefully this also gives SIE the message that if they want their GAAS to work, they need to not try cramming awkwardly into oversaturated spaces with no hooks beyond nice graphics and cinematics, especially if paired with weak character designs that don't appeal to the majority of potential customers.

I would also say the failure of games like Concord and Dustborn commercially show that the "modern audience" these games were chiefly made to appeal to...don't actually support these products when it actually matters. Either that, or there are so few that they aren't worth compromising the game's design or studio reputation for. Those types have shown for a while that they support all the games their so-called enemies, and regular gamers, like. They just virtue-signal behind talking points to sound more neoteric than they actually are.

It's a tough lesson for SIE to learn, but better now than later. They're going about the shutdown and refunds the right way. Now just make sure Fairgame$ avoids the same mistakes, and try taking more cues from what made Helldivers 2 a surprise hit, i.e having fun, unique & relatable concepts in fairly unsaturated genre segments with good release timing and fair pricing. They have some legacy MP-favoring IP that could build off this with modest AA budgets, which would give them even better chances in the GAAS space. But throwing money all over the place on 12 GAAS in the hopes 1-2 stick the landing is both absurd, and something SIE'd never do with non-GAAS titles these days so why should GAAS get that luxury?

The episode for the Amazon show is likely not going to exist anymore too

Lost media, in this day and age? That'd be crazy...

I want to see that episode now just to see if it misses the mark like the game did xD

Last edited:

Saber

Imagine if they relaunch this as f2p and it bombs a second time!

It will.
Some people there(and here) are working on the assumption that this game failed only because its a paid GaaS. The list of reasons are wide.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I can't say I saw this coming, but it seems like it's still someone smart working at Sony.

Who ever made and approved those characters designs should be fired and shamed from the gaming industry.

How so many people lookee at those designs and thought someone would want to buy a product with them in it blows my mind.

diffusionx

Gold Member
At least as-is, the game's tech can be salvaged for other uses. Firewalk can probably do well with a pre-existing legacy IP on a AA budget/timescale like Killzone or Resistance, or as a support studio for tech & content in games like Helldivers 2, or even non-GAAS as support for the main studios. But they aren't gonna be ready for a AAA original IP for a long time.
Bro seriously thinks Firewalk will be around to make another game

Watch, when it returns F2P with redesigned characters and people actually PLAY the game it'll be a huge hit.
I seriously doubt Sony will be willing to drop one more cent into this. Nobody is going to play it when it is F2P, the stink is too strong.

Last edited:

nikos

This is the first necessary step if they want to have any chance at salvaging this game.

What they need to do next:

Learn how to take criticism. Redesign their characters and fix pretty much everything that people didn't like.
Release a proper "We know we fucked up, please give us another chance" statement.
Make the game F2P, though they'll still get flak for that.
Probably still fail because of the extremely stupid shit some members of their dev team decided to post online.

Last edited:
So what was actually wrong with the game? I wouldn't know I never played it & didn't pay much attention to it but I know the attacks came before the game was even revealed.
The game failed for multiple reasons, the DEI stuff being only one of those. It occupied a crowded genre like Hero Shooter while being a $40 game with uninspired hero designs against things there are solidified in the market like Overwatch/Apex/Valorant, and etc. The gameplay wasn't bad per se, but it had nothing unique going for it, not even supers and ultimates for every character. Map design was lacking and uninspired. And the story short cinematics they promised for every week with the quality and fidelity they have wouldn't be feasible.

In simple terms, the game was half-baked while asking for money when there are F2P alternatives that are way better than it. It was an uphill battle from the start. The game would only thrive if it was exceptional.

The crazy thing is that from what I’ve read and heard, the lore in Concord is actually great and complex enough for a PvE campaign. The lore writers were being way too thought out and detailed for a game where you will never interact with said lore, because you’re too busy shooting at an opposing team.

It really should have been a single player game with better character design. Would have sold much more.

Top Bottom