• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

Robb

Gold Member
lHxRvtf.jpeg

Holy crap. Did not expect this tbh. What a mess.

The memes foretold this moment.
the force awakens GIF by Star Wars

I hope not, failure can be a good learning tool for the team - so they might not fumble next time. I think they should get another chance. Hopefully they make better decisions. :D

From the blog, it didn't sound like they are giving up. It sounded like they are going to be exploring other options and work on feedback they have received. Could be going F2P, could be outright cancellation and new project, or as some others are saying, could be closure of the studio. Who knows.
Going FTP is not going to save this. The brand is so tainted at this point. Their best option is to take the assets, rework all the character design and story elements, give it new name and publish it as a brand new game.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Edit - "Concord fans — we’ve been listening closely to your feedback since the launch of Concord on PlayStation 5 and PC"

Should have listened to your fans after the shitty reveal

Should have listened to your fans after the disastrous "closed beta"

Should have listened to your fans after the even worse "open beta"
Exactly this. So many devs are being obtuse about what we want.

But this is really good news as people are voting with their wallets. This is really the only way we can make our voices heard.

Both Concord and Black Myth Wukong launched on the same day. Concord is shutting down, while BMW has sold over 15 million copies already. Let this be a lesson to game studios and publishers about what we want.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
The game was a miss... but that doesn't necessarily mean the studio purchase was a complete waste. If Sony does shut them down, then yeah. But I feel like the team just made some poor design decisions but can make a decent game. I know that is not enough but I think there is promise.

Assets can still be used for a rework a complete new game which mean shorter development time. They won’t make this mistake again. The problem wasn’t the foundation, mechanics or gameplay. It was the whole art style.

itshutton

I don’t understand how they could not have made this decision 2-3 months ago and saved face.

When they say “reach our players” they mean “reach other players”. A serious overhaul will be needed for even a F2P launch to be successful though, starting with complete character redesigns.

onQ123

So what was actually wrong with the game? I wouldn't know I never played it & didn't pay much attention to it but I know the attacks came before the game was even revealed.

Good.

Let this be a lesson to all those who run a business...

STOP. CHASING. TRENDS.

Cater to your target audience.

Its ok to experiment with new games and ideas, but this was a New IP only in name - We have played this game a million times already, for free, under a different name.

Go back to single player games.

12 fucking live services, you must be out of your fucking mind, Jim. LMAO

Back to single player games? What are you even on about? Sony has a pretty long tradition of multiplayer, from SOCOM in the early days of online gaming on console to Killzone, MAG, Warhawk, Resistance… this isn’t the ”new” thing some of you seem to think it is.

proandrad

Should have canceled it years ago and take the tax write off. Sunk-cost fallacy in play, thinking they can still save the game. Sony needs to learn to take the L and move on.

PeteBull

Gold Member
I agree with everything you said, but I think it all depends on if the average employee is like the Professor.

If they are, the studio is just rotten to the core and they would be valuable as a support studio at best.
At least ones pulling the strings and ones responsible for creating characters have to be, coders/programmers are likely very normal tho xD

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The decision to launch this rather than delay it and make the changes probably cemented its doom.

Baffling decision to go live.
IMO they knew it would be a massive bomb. They were done throwing money at this failure and hoped they could recoup a little bit of their investment before it died. But then it undersold even their most pessimistic predictions.

zapper

no really, I don't want to believe they are so stupid to think of relaunching it even for free. you are really an idiot if you don't make it disappear from the face of the earth by clearly saying "ok, we were wrong"

So many people said this would flop and indeed it did and very fast. Good to see this and let it send a message to weirdo devs who push games with weird characters and call gamers Talentless freaks. Once again it proves go woke go broke…..the results speak for themselves.

Top Bottom