• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
the usual suspects GIF

He/him’s gone*

Markio128

Gold Member
Lots of woke games succeed (it's basically every successful game atm when you think about it).

Concord failed because of far more than wokeness.
I agree. Concord failed because it looks shit. And they had the audacity to charge for it.

tommib

Hey man I really like Heaven's Gate!

Cimino was fucking insane but that is a hell of a beautiful film
I love it as much as you do. But it was such a financial disaster that it took final cut control way from directors for years. It was the end of the new Hollywood. A turning point.

Concord is a turning point.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This failure should be taught in business schools , I mean you dont listen to feedback at reveal , beta and launch and then kill the game in like 15 days millions and millions of dollars down the drain

$100 million lost right here. It's insane!

Bartski

Gold Member
I predict: a major top lead departure, like Assad Quizilbash. Horizon gaas cancelled. Jada Raymond and HAVEN studio in shambles, Fairgame$ rebooted due out 2030

Goalus

The Sony post says to take it back to the retailer per the retailer’s return policy so probably not. Most retailers are very strict about no refunds on open software. I suppose one could take in the shutdown notice and argue it, but I know most chains won’t budge on their “no refunds if the wrapper is broken” policy.

That’s here in the States though. It may be different in the UK and EU.
Makes sense.
Usually I hear that buying on disc means ownership and therefore better preserves the value vs. a digital license. In this case it seems to be the other way round.

Rudius

Wow, I didnt know that. His efforts clearly showed... lol I think the landfill site was excavated at one point. Anyway its legendary for me.
He did the best he could. If he had 6 months instead of 6 weeks I believe it would have been a good game for the Atari standards.

Nigel

I foolishly said to my friend during the gameplay trailer "This is the Overwatch killer", perhaps I should start making grand statements for games studios I don't like. :goog_devil:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Game is being sent to the shadow realm. Never seen anything like it tbh.

I've also seen someone on Twitter make the point that this is Firewalk's first ever game, their name is now tainted completely, and they don't have the Bioware option of going back to what made them good.

Sony has a problem studio on its hands now.

Tear up the contract NOW!!!

ReBurn

Gold Member
I predict: a major top lead departure, like Assad Quizilbash. Horizon gaas cancelled. Jada Raymond and HAVEN studio in shambles, Fairgame$ rebooted due out 2030
If Fairgame$ includes character pronouns you can bet your boots those will be removed.

Jen_yakzua

Let's hope this will represent a turning point on Sony's online strategy

And now you all go buy Astro fuckin Bot
I doubt it Sony need an online strategy, they tried a 50/50 plan but some people didn't think It would work and ,they would end up having to pick a path either aquire a online behemoth via EA T2 or Bandai or go the 2nd party route and have teams develop game for whether it a new IP or reimagining of an old ip

Last edited:
$100 million lost right here. It's insane!
Fucking hell for real ?? 100 million ?
Why does every tom dick and harry knew if would fail but only the devs who were making it
I know it's been in the oven for years but they could've play tested to 100 real gamers and all of them would've told them this would flop.
I mean how delusional can you be

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Sony absolutely made the right call. This was a mercy killing and they are refunding everyone. You simply can’t force people to give a shit about your GaaS slop. Biggest mistake Sony made was not delaying this and quietly canceling it after there were tumbleweeds blowing through their beta. Ubisoft has done this with several flopped GaaS attempts.

PatientGamer

Gold Member
Holy shit, this has to be one of the biggest flops in gaming history, if not the biggest of all time. Never would've expected it to come from a Sony first-party studio.

Wouldn't be surprised if they get shut down after this; all that money and time spent and this is the result? They're definitely gonna have huge layoffs.

I feel sorry for the devs and everyone who worked on this game. Sounds like it was a travesty :(

The internet well and truly ate them alive.

Goalus

The Sony post says to take it back to the retailer per the retailer’s return policy so probably not. Most retailers are very strict about no refunds on open software. I suppose one could take in the shutdown notice and argue it, but I know most chains won’t budge on their “no refunds if the wrapper is broken” policy.

That’s here in the States though. It may be different in the UK and EU.
Makes sense.
Usually I hear that a physical disc means ownership and therefore holds a better value than a digital license. In this case it seems to be the other way round.

BuddyLaDouche

Neo Member
Oh my lord people who got the physical copy have to return it to the shop, imagine walking into a shop with your copy of Concord and asking for a refund, what a disaster.
Customer: Hello, I'd like to return this eggplant, this box of magnums, this industrial sized vat of petroleum jelly....... and this copy of .... (#COUGH#) CONCORD (#COUGH#).
Employee: GROSS!
CUSTOMER: IGN RATED IT A 7!!!

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I'm 44 but had to Google it, never heard of this movie.

It's what the director made after Deer Hunter (which scooped up all the Oscars and is considered one of the greatest movies ever) so he had free reign to do whatever.

The result was the "mess" of a magnum opus that was Heaven's Gate. 44 million to make in 1980 and it brought in less than 4.

I suggest watching it if you're a fan of Western epics. Also, Red Dead Redemption 2 looks A TON like it.

That's not the honourable thing, that's the bare minimum to not have a law suit.
People acting like Sony are some great guys just because they aren't stealing from you, lol.
You signed an eula when the purchase is made. No there was no battlepass purchase just whispered sweet nothings of upcoming seasons. Sony could yank the cord without any refunds and point to said eula. No doubt there was no set duration where Concord was supposed to be online.

Drake

ahahahahahahaha. I love it! GO WOKE, GO BROKE. Maybe they need more fat,disgusting playable characters. I'm sure that'll bring the masses in. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom