• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

Draugoth

Gold Member
She's sweaitng right now:

Haven-Studios-e-simbolo-do-PlayStation-Jade-Raymond-PS5.jpg

Dr Cowley

Neo Member
I'm too shit and lazy to make a .gif

Anyone able to knock out one of the old xbox 'it's a short life' ad? The mom has text saying firewalk, the grave says Concord, 300% speed, itll be hilarious, go!

Nydius

Will those who bought the physical PS5 version also be refunded?

The Sony post says to take it back to the retailer per the retailer’s return policy so probably not. Most retailers are very strict about no refunds on open software. I suppose one could take in the shutdown notice and argue it, but I know most chains won’t budge on their “no refunds if the wrapper is broken” policy.

That’s here in the States though. It may be different in the UK and EU.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
What are the chances this is setting up it going FTP, after refunds are issued and maybe a bit of re-tooling? Since the open-beta was a flop, I personally don't think going FTP will help much.

Or is this the END ...end!

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
How is it that Dustborn is still up (I know, its not a GAAS) and yet this came died faster than Yukio Mishima?

Firewalk:

digging sarah chalke GIF

I hope this means sony will abandon their live service push. Just nuke it now, rather than after 5 failed games.

This isn't sensible. Technically speaking, MLB The Show and GT7 are live-service games too, and have been very successful. Same with Helldivers 2, though there are a few snags there that need to be fixed to rekindle the early hype levels.

SIE wanting a couple big GAAS isn't the problem; it's that a lot of those 12 they had planned were probably in very saturated market segments and were doing little new to stand out from the crowd. How many more military shooters does the market really need?

If they're going to still pursue GAAS, they need to keep the number small, keep the budgets under control, and try being inventive in the market segments they appeal to. They also have some legacy IP that could mesh will with GAAS, so try using those. Allocating 60% of their funds to GAAS was such a bad decision and I can't believe there were people justifying it as if it wasn't taking away from traditional game development.

It was. It always was.

If anything GAAS should only be getting at most 30% of their annual game dev funding budgets, maybe 35% tops. 60% was just sheer 'wasting-money' territory. Besides there are still areas with traditional game dev SIE need to clean up too, like getting rid of costly wasteful consultancy firms (at this point it's pretty obvious SBI aren't worth whatever millions they costed to consult on games like Spiderman 2), overpriced Hollywood VA & writing talent (unless they're auteurs with a big crossover in audiences of film & games, like say Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez or Nolan, they very likely aren't worth the money for a AAA game production. AA might be a different story but again depends on who it is), etc.

Rickyiez

T
The only way for them to turn around is to use the negative discourse in their favour and do a marketing stunt, there's no other way, even with going F2P. They would have to do something crazy like turning every character into a hot chick like Eve in Stellar Blade
That game had already exist. It's called First Descendant

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I would say that there could be a class-action lawsuit for those who purchased the game physically (as no retailer will take an open game back), but I doubt the 100 people who bought it will go to through the trouble.

kevboard

We joked about this scenario but fucking hell, didn't expect it to be possible. Reading between the lines, this will give Sony the option to write this off tax wise, I don't think we'll ever see it again, they can't possibly recoup the development costs on this with any amount of changes short of scrapping all the characters and starting again.

they could revamp it into a free to play game and redesign the characters visually but keep the mechanics.

I think if they hired a third party team of character designers (BY WHICH I MEAN DON'T LET THE ONES THAT WORK AT THAT STUDIO EVEN GIVE AS MUCH AS SUGGESTIONS) that give all heores a completely new design that fits their abilities (which the current designers completely failed to do btw.) and on top of that speed up the game both in terms of movement speed and TTK, add a new unique main game mode the game revolves around... and maybe it could have a chance.

all the underlying code could be salvaged. just a coat of new paint and a new eye-catching game mode

Alebrije

The Sony post says to take it back to the retailer per the retailer’s return policy so probably not. Most retailers are very strict about no refunds on open software. I suppose one could take in the shutdown notice and argue it, but I know most chains won’t budge on their “no refunds if the wrapper is broken” policy.

That’s here in the States though. It may be different in the UK and EU.
Returning physical copies Will be like

walk-of-shame-got.gif

This failure should be taught in business schools , I mean you dont listen to feedback at reveal , beta and launch and then kill the game in like 15 days millions and millions of dollars down the drain

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
E.T. has been dethroned. I said before this is the biggest flop in entertainment ever. It’s our Heaven’s Gate. And it will change PlayStation forever. What a fucking massive waste of money and brand image. Absolutely insane and shameful.

Hey man I really like Heaven's Gate!

Cimino was fucking insane but that is a hell of a beautiful film

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
E.T. has been dethroned. I said before this is the biggest flop in entertainment ever. It’s our Heaven’s Gate. And it will change PlayStation forever. What a fucking massive waste of money and brand image. Absolutely insane and shameful.
Yep. Heaven's Gate bombing changed the movie industry forever. But it's a good movie, and was the embodiment of the auteur era, so it was a real loss for filmmakers and audiences alike.

No such qualities to worry about with Concord.

Astray

Expect Playstation to rely on AstroBot image for a long time as they'll need it. This is not the last failure from PS Worldwide studios. Everything even slightly woke will go broke. Tides are turning on that front and people are fed up about the nonsense.
Lots of woke games succeed (it's basically every successful game atm when you think about it).

Concord failed because of far more than wokeness.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This is a huge W for Sony and the consumer. They pulled the plug quickly and decisively.

Retool it as a F2P game and hope for the best. The only option.

Top Bottom