• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

ReBurn

Gold Member
Sony probably saw this stinking turd coming a mile away, but what was the alternative? Think of the DEI crying that would have happened if Sony cancelled it pre-flop? Letting it release and prove once and for all that there is no 'modern audience' was the most reasonable solution
I don't think they saw it coming at all. If they would have seen it coming they would have killed it long ago. Whoever supported releasing this probably wholeheartedly believed that the "modern audience" wanted this and would carry it. Hopefully the people who supported releasing this kind of game see this as the reality check it should be.

King Dazzar

I dont think I've ever known such a well known title, fail this quickly and decisively. Has ET finally been dethroned?
R0nHr8J.jpeg

I wonder if the game would’ve failed this hard if Sony never bought Firewalk. Releasing this game during a Sony first party drought probably had a big affect on the game.

Wow. I did not see this coming. I swore Sony was going to commit to this game.

Maybe this is the beginning of the Sony re-direction. They cancelled Factions 2. This game bombed. Foamstars bombed. I expect Fairgames will be cancelled. Bungie is in disarray. Maybe Sony will move their headquarters back to Japan after all this trash is over with and put Japan back in control of this Japanese company.

TBF, Foamstars was not SIE, that was Square-Enix. And Factions 2 getting cancelled was probably actually a bad idea in retrospect, given the visibility of that IP.

They'll probably still give Fairgame$ a chance but any of the lacking appeal that was/is there that Concord clearly had, will be changed drastically. It's either that or the game gets cancelled, like you said, but I kinda have faith it hasn't been going down the same road as Concord given some of the people involved (including, IIRC, Mark Cerny himself). I'm expecting Marathon'll probably get "cancelled" and its ideas reworked to fit inside Destiny 3, but with that I'm also expecting SIE to take full control of Bungie (which is probably for the best).

I do think the headquarters needs to get TF out of California though. Little good is coming from that; or better yet it might be time to go back to the three-region approach but as SIEA (Sony Interactive Entertainment Asia, maybe headquartered in Japan), SIEN (Sony Interactive Entertainment North & South America), SIEE (Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe), and SIEM (Sony Interactive Entertainment Middle East & Africa).

So now, four branches, but SIEA being the main branch. The four branches could still coordinate with one another on some level, but different regions may have different specific needs and branches for those regions can address them more efficiently.

MikeM

Gold Member
I hope Sony looks real hard at their upcoming GAAS games and really picks solid ones for release. It won’t look good if they do this again.

I also hope they learn this- play your strengths and don’t trend chase. Helldivers 2 is where it is because it was unique versus other co-op games, not because it was a Wish.com copy of something else.

Also I just remembered, what stings more about this is that Sony cancelled a Spiderman PvE co-op game and they cancelled TLOU 2 Factions and bet a ton of money on an entirely new unproven IP.

I could have been swinging in the streets of New York with a team of Spiderbros.

Makes sense right? Cancel the GAAS mode made by Naughty Dog, a veteran developer who literally never fails in terms of gameplay and world design and instead release the team fortress/overwatch wanna be rip-off that was shit out for 8 years. Great job Sony and Playstation.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I dont think I've ever known such a well known title, fail this quickly and decisively. Has ET finally been dethroned?
R0nHr8J.jpeg
It would be, except that digital games didn't exist back then. Considering Sony's big marketing push for Concord, I expect that if digital games weren't a thing (for whatever reason) they would have made a few million physical copies of the game that would now indeed be destined to be put in a landfill and covered with concrete.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Will those who bought the physical PS5 version also be refunded?
They'll be refunded in accordance with retailer refund policies and I don't know of any retailers who refund new games after they've been opened. Will be interesting to see if they do.

King Dazzar

E.T. sold 1.5 million copies in an over saturated market. It's been dethroned several times now. Concord is just the latest to push it down the rankings.
True, but ET is legendary. The speed of Concords AAA demise, is what places it right up there in my mind.

ReBurn

Gold Member
True, but ET is legendary. The speed of Concords AAA demise, is what places it right up there in my mind.
It's definitely one of the most expensive games to die so quickly. They paid one guy to make ET in a couple of months. They paid the team that made Concord for years.

Last edited:
We joked about this scenario but fucking hell, didn't expect it to be possible. Reading between the lines, this will give Sony the option to write this off tax wise, I don't think we'll ever see it again, they can't possibly recoup the development costs on this with any amount of changes short of scrapping all the characters and starting again.

Top Bottom