• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
There’s a new show from the Love Death & Robots guys called Secret Level (it looks pretty good so far), but one of the episodes is based entirely around Concord. I wonder if they’ll even bother airing it lol.

eh at least they realized it pretty quick and took it out back and shot it. I’m sure a serious lesson was learned that is going to have an impact on all their planned online titles… thank god.
well, yeah. but this's a classic example of 'having to learn the hard way'. & a corporation as established/experienced as sony should never have to be reduced to that learning level, which's traditionally the domain of up'n'coming businesses...

Mokus

Q1aPWmY.jpeg

A piece of gaming history now!
Just perfect next to these ones

Bz2Ah1j.jpeg

Dazraell

Game shut down and refunds two weeks after launch.

This has to be a record???!
If I remember correctly The Day Before was pulled from sale after a few days, but that one was a total shitshow. That being said, I believe servers for this lasted for longer than Concord lol

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
How is rejectera handling this?
Probably alternating between:

“Come on guys, the so called wokeness had absolutely nothing to do with the game’s failure, it failed only because it was an uninspired entry in a crowded genre, I don’t even know what woke means anymore gee whiz”

and

“It failed because of all the racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic CHUDS who rejected it for being too woke”

Holammer

Probably alternating between:

“Come on guys, the so called wokeness had absolutely nothing to do with the game’s failure, it failed only because it was an uninspired entry in a crowded genre, I don’t even know what woke means anymore gee whiz”

and

“It failed because of all the racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic CHUDS who rejected it for being too woke”
Another reason to hope Marvel Rivals becomes a monster hit.

Didn't CDPR blindside Sony with the refunds?

Not like it will cost anywhere near as much for Concord refunds vs CP2077 either.
Microsoft and Steam had no problem about it. And Sony now just did it, so in the future they should for fairness accept that from their partners.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I would say that there could be a class-action lawsuit for those who purchased the game physically (as no retailer will take an open game back), but I doubt the 100 people who bought it will go to through the trouble.
Hilarity aside, any other company doing this would be crucified. MS spent a year polishing Redfall and patched it for offline.

I'd never purchase an online only game from Sony.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Imagine astro bot comes with a fucking pronounce.
they did try push sackboy to be sackthing around LBP3 i think.

needless to say no one listened to that shit back then and to everyone it was still sackboy. Even the PS5 launch game was titled Sackboy

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Well this has got to be the fastest end of any AAA live service game.

Honestly, it felt like Sony had no confidence in this game, the marketing was pretty mild and they were maybe betting that the turnout would've been better than anticipated.

I don't know what they do now, reworking is going to cost them more and if so, do they can the leads and get in new ones?

Shame because the gameplay was very fun, just everything else surrounding it was disappointing.
Buying the entire studio is the strongest show of confidence possible and is a huge cause for concern as Sony’s judgement is clearly way of base for the first time its history.

I’ll say it again; the move to California has killed the brand we grew up with.

Roni

Gold Member
If this is an ET level disaster, will there be an ET level aftermath? The industry imploded as a result back then...

Rudius

If I was in charge, I actually would do a complete art redesign of the characters, levels, and weapons. Change to free to play model with battlepass that is easy to moderate to complete with 60 to 90 day seasons. Remove politically correct art and replace with good looking characters, it doesn't have to be first descendent but it needs to be attractive, get rid of all fat characters except joke ones like roadhog. Finally I honestly think I would change the name to something completely different and relaunch as new IP.

I think with these changes it might have a chance but it would need at least another year in the oven to get to that point. So then it becomes a question of if Sony wants to keep this going. They probably would need to get rid of toxic personalities at Firewalk as well.
If this was the exact same game but with hot characters, just like First Descendent, it would have sold at least 1 million.

j3KSDcp.jpeg

Croga

People reject DEI infested GaaS shooter, what a surprise...lol

How many more of these shite attempts to make a live service game, that exist to simply try to fleece people of their cash with micro transactions will developers make that fail, before the industry takes the hint and goes back to making what people actually want to play?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If this is an ET level disaster, will there be an ET level aftermath? The industry imploded as a result back then...
Hugely different landscape than gaming in 1982

However, I suspect future GaaS projects will come under much more scrutiny from higher up now. It's no longer going to be seen as a license to print infinite money.

Fabieter

Why did the Concord PS5 game apply for a job at the coffee shop?

Because it needed a new way to deal with its "brewing" disappointment and hoped for a "latte" success!

So chat gpt also want to laugh at concord.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
8 years from now, Firewalk will release their next game: a Genshin Impact clone but with “modern audiences” characters and gender pronouns.

Just think of how huge it’ll be!!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If this doesn't lead to major changes at SCE I would be pretty surprised.

We need Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes to comment
There's not much to comment on. The game was a failure in its current state. To be entirely honest, I love the fact that I'm getting refunded as there was nothing interesting coming to the game in quite a while. That said, I hope PlayStation does a thorough After Action Report on it and they course correct the rest of their Live Service games going forward. God, would I love to be in those rooms right now.

xrnzaaas

That is something I never expected to happen, not from arrogant Sony. They must see that the playerbase is dead already and they can't introduce it as a f2p game without pissing off the paid users.

Top Bottom