• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

Hermen at their next SoP, first things first:
wHDoTxK.gif

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
That's what most people think the game plays like, but it's not. If only it were point gun, pull trigger, it would have been more appealing to the people that are used to that style of play.

You actually have to cycle through different team members, gain their perks, and make sure the teamplay is pretty balanced between the various classes.

If you're going into it as someone that just wants to shoot things and have fun, you're going to get destroyed by a team that actually uses the compliment of gameplay systems on offer.
Which team is that? The game journalists who were forced to play it for a couple hours? Or the serious Concord sweaties that literally doesn't exist because zero people cared about the game enough to keep the player base alive past three days?

I've watched footage of competitive streamers playing the game for content and it's literally point gun at enemy and pull trigger while traversing a basic map. There are a few bare bones abilities, large/medium/small type characters with proportional mobility and hit points and weapon power. It's not complex at all.

Get a grip.

Kvally

Nah, Sony has published some cool games this year, and I'm tired of people pretending that they don't exist just because Concord is shit.
I think the desire is that we are getting games from Naughty Dog, Housemarque, Sucker Punch, Bend Studio, Santa Monica, etc. Some big AAA hitters developed internally. Publishing 2nd or 3rd party games is fine, but we have come to expect more releases from our big studios.

nial

I think the desire is that we are getting games from Naughty Dog, Housemarque, Sucker Punch, Bend Studio, Santa Monica, etc. Some big AAA hitters developed internally. Publishing 2nd or 3rd party games is fine, but we have come to expect more releases from our big studios.
Sony's output has always been more than its internal studios, like ever. Also, some of those had their last projects released not too long ago, and Team Asobi doesn't count?

bender

What time is it?
Which team is that? The game journalists who were forced to play it for a couple hours? Or the serious Concord sweaties that literally doesn't exist because zero people cared about the game enough to keep the player base alive past three days?

I've watched footage of competitive streamers playing the game for content and it's literally point gun at enemy and pull trigger while traversing a basic map. There are a few bare bones abilities, large/medium/small type characters with proportional mobility and hit points and weapon power. It's not complex at all.

Get a grip.

Map design in the beta was so basic. While I didn't care for the moment-to-moment game play, how controlling the heroes felt, or time to kill, that's what stuck out the most.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds like their next attempt with be F2P. They'll want to reach more players. And that's F2P.

Sony's corporate coffers to fund GAAP is bigger than I thought. They've been cutting GAAS in development and even Bungie employees, yet they might keep funneling funds for Concord attempt #2?

Insane if true.

Yoboman

know your customer.

thats what this boils down to. what demographic are you selling this to and how large a market is it??

the "go woke, go broke" saying is more and more true because even though the "woke" crowd might be very vocal, are they really purchasing in large enough quantities to be the "main market" that you build a brand towards?
There might even be a decent amount of them eg Baldur's Gate 3 but they certainly aren't playing hero shooters lol

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I hope the next SOP opens with a cold trailer that begins with copious cursing a la Nier's attract mode pv behind a black screen. You hear a zipper and the first thing you're met with are tits, belonging to a female. Sick ass guitar Riff. Some demon skeletons start fighting each other and spilling non-existent viscera all over the screen. The chunks and skelly globs gradually clear away from the screen, with only the stylized lettering remaining - ANITA WAS WRONG - then the TV actually physically explodes into whiskey all over the room. Bank on this shit. Kamiya approved.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Get a grip.
He deserves a title for what he’s doing. Y’all gave me one and I hate SBI and didn’t go on such a crusade. Justice!

Last edited:

Quantum253

Gold Member
He did so minutes after Concord shutdown news came out live on stream. It was hilarious especially the feedback he got from the store cashier on how many were sold.

Too funny. Really though, it will be a piece of gaming history albeit it's going to be completely useless in terms of playing it

The difference here is there isn't really a way to pivot this to F2P.

It's already maligned as boring and uninteresting, not to mention the DEI aspects that aren't looked at fondly by any means.

It doesn't have any power play in its name, so any comeback doesn't look to have merit to me honestly.

Final Fantasy XIV, No Man's Sky and arguably Cyberpunk 2077 did it, but those are the golden geese and rare indeed. Very few games have a redemption arc.

This game was so tonally bizarre.

You watch a cutscene of the crew... they're all friends aboard this wandering spaceship.

The game starts, they sound like rejects from a Saturday morning cartoon.

Then they fight against themselves.

Wtf.

near

Gold Member
The difference here is there isn't really a way to pivot this to F2P.

It's already maligned as boring and uninteresting, not to mention the DEI aspects that aren't looked at fondly by any means.

It doesn't have any power play in its name, so any comeback doesn't look to have merit to me honestly.

Final Fantasy XIV, No Man's Sky and arguably Cyberpunk 2077 did it, but those are the golden geese and rare indeed. Very few games have a redemption arc.
I’m sure they deliberated on a F2P model before they opted for a retail release. They’ll have an idea of ways they can monetise the game using some of their content pipeline, so I wouldn’t rule it out. But I agree, it’ll be a failure all the same after this. There is no saving this game.

So, remove all woke crap, make better character models, include more modes from the start, make it free 2 play.
Don’t think even that will be enough, but it is for sure a start.

But they don’t get it and probably think: to reach the modern audience, we need even more woke stuff.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Telling you my and others experiences. If you don’t agree, no biggie.
You are absolutely correct... Sony first party output has been ridiculous this gen.
.... their sequels all failed to meet the predecessors success and were mostly very divisive, they are living from second/third party deals and remakes/remasters nobody asked for, their biggest SP first party game this year is fucking Astrobot (wich will be great Im sure) they have fucking nothing for next year announced... its quite obviously their main first party strategy was diverted to gaas/mp titles .... They can still salvage this mess in the second half of the gen ... but is not looking good at all imho.

Bernardougf

So, remove all woke crap, make better character models, include more modes from the start, make it free 2 play.

But they don’t get it and probably think: to reach the modern audience, we need even more woke stuff.
Check the leader game designer profile for Concord aka the professor and see if there is any fucking chance they will remove dei/woke from this game .... I wish you good luck

Yoboman

Alan Wake 2 had 2 main characters. Their designs, expecially Alan, had nothing to do with the game not turning a profit. It was Remedys deal with Epic and the game having double the budget of Control.

Alan-Wake-2.jpg
There may be multiple factors to any failure but it's a failure nonetheless a d the multiple characters created a negative buzz before the game even launched. For as much praise and awards as it won it shouldn't have had issues becoming profitable

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

You missed the first step of firing half of the dev team starting with the one who hates guns that worked on a shooting game.

Absolutely. It's easy to forget that Concord and Stellar Blade were published by the same motherfucking company; not too different to when they published the amazing (IMO) Gravity Rush 2 and the shitty Drawn to Death in the same frickin' year,
Sony Japan and Sony America are basically two different companies. People don't really understand that Sony operates as a conglomerate of disparate companies who are all doing their own thing

This is one reason why Sony Interactive Entertainment has 2 co-CEO's right now, that's emblematic of Sony TBH

nial

Sony Japan and Sony America are basically two different companies. People don't really understand that Sony operates as a conglomerate of disparate companies who are all doing their own thing

This is one reason why Sony Interactive Entertainment has 2 co-CEO's right now, that's emblematic of Sony TBH
And there are three, actually, there's SIE Europe as well. Even then, Helldivers 2 was also produced by the American SIE LLC.
Japanese SIE Inc. has definitely been the best one this year with Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and Astro Bot. I expect that continue next year with Death Stranding 2, (hopefully) Lost Soul Aside and probably some other unannounced projects.

Top Bottom