• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

ReBurn

Gold Member
Damn PS5 Pro didn’t bring back Concord
qrJOUQ1.jpeg

tkscz

Con artist vs. Korean artist

How they're drawn says so much about the artist. Like the art on the left is noticeably smug in a judgemental kind of way, like they're talking shit about you even though you never said a word to them, it doesn't reflect at all with who the characters are in the anime, instead it reflects the attitude of the artist, how the artist knows people will think they look like two ugly cosplaying men and enjoys how many people dislike it while calling them names. While the right Asuka has a smug look but more of a confident one, reflective of her personality from the anime and Rei isn't smug at all, she's softly confident in her ability, again reflecting the anime.

The concord artist isn't making fan art, they are making art with the purpose of getting negative reactions, while the Stellar Blade artist is fan art of something they like.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How they're drawn says so much about the artist. Like the art on the left is noticeably smug in a judgemental kind of way, like they're talking shit about you even though you never said a word to them, it doesn't reflect at all with who the characters are in the anime, instead it reflects the attitude of the artist, how the artist knows people will think they look like two ugly cosplaying men and enjoys how many people dislike it while calling them names. While the right Asuka has a smug look but more of a confident one, reflective of her personality from the anime and Rei isn't smug at all, she's softly confident in her ability, again reflecting the anime.

The concord artist isn't making fan art, they are making art with the purpose of getting negative reactions, while the Stellar Blade artist is fan art of something they like.
When it comes to games, I typically like the grittier/more realistic the better. Unless it's a puzzle game or Mario or the like. So western style graphics for me as long as it's good.

BUT, I do admit that if you strip away texture vs texture or fancy shmancy lighting and shadow Unreal engine comparisons, that Asian art styles have much more personality. And you can see it in gaming and cartoons. Western studios focus on raw wow factor and uber shiny lighting or shadows, while Asian artists give their worlds and characters life even if the production values involve choppy frames and basic colours.

I guess when people grow up doing art in school leading to a career, the foundation of creation they are taught, and tools they are using are totally different. At least, that's how it seems to be unless there's more to it.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
LTTP for this thread, but saw this coming the moment of the reveal.

Get out of your bubbles, devs.
They were so confident that didn’t even show gamers the game until May state of play show. That left only 3 months till launch.

For unknown IPs, typically the game company shows the game much more. Even years before launch. This was exactly 2 months and 3 weeks till launch.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They were so confident that didn’t even show gamers the game until May state of play show. That left only 3 months till launch.

For unknown IPs, typically the game company shows the game much more. Even years before launch. This was exactly 2 months and 3 weeks till launch.
I am not just talking about Sony, those heads will roll via the Japan board. Adjustments will be made from this.

I'm mainly talking about slakctivist brow beating "creatives" thinking they can either force this and people will conform as they did, or they're bubble has them believing they're a majority, when there is nothing close to the sort.

Only a handful of companies can losslead the agenda for a longer set period of time. The smaller ones will see the unemployment line.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am not just talking about Sony, those heads will roll via the Japan board. Adjustments will be made from this.

I'm mainly talking about slakctivist brow beating "creatives" thinking they can either force this and people will conform as they did, or they're bubble has them believing they're a majority, when there is nothing close to the sort.

Only a handful of companies can losslead the agenda for a longer set period of time. The smaller ones will see the unemployment line.
If Sony doesn't make major changes from this, then they are doomed. This is the biggest bomba ever, there needs to be accountability. Because if not, it's going to happen again (we even know likely when, with Fairgame%)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If Sony doesn't make major changes from this, then they are doomed. This is the biggest bomba ever, there needs to be accountability. Because if not, it's going to happen again (we even know likely when, with Fairgame%)
'Gummy Bears' sounds right up the fruity ally too. Hopefully it's just a crude joke and more gruff but after hearing the past year or so all the dead weight "knitting clubs" Sony trimmed from them, I won't hold my breath.

How big is this going to be a blast radius for the future?

Will this be cited for years as the flop to beat or, "Atleast [insert rando shit game] didn't bomb like Concord"?

Or will the gaming press memory hole this like it didn't happen?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Is this for real? Yeah you can tell these people hate their audience, and get a kick out of emasculating the incel nerds and making them look at ugly masculine women.

Maybe some of these people like gaming, but they HATE that some popular entertainment form exists that doesn’t conform to their miserable and resentful intersectional ideology. And their primary motivation is to “fix” gaming and make it into a big “fuck you” to anyone who doesn’t pretend to enjoy it.

Glad that people are finally catching on to their bullshit and closing their wallets. I hope these assholes never work in the gaming industry again.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Will this be cited for years as the flop to beat or, "Atleast [insert rando shit game] didn't bomb like Concord"?

It seems like this got a ton of publicity. Anecdotally I have seen a lot more articles, YouTube videos, etc about Concord’s failure than about e.g. Suicide Squad.

We won’t let the world forget.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Is this for real? Yeah you can tell these people hate their audience, and get a kick out of emasculating the incel nerds and making them look at ugly masculine women.

Maybe some of these people like gaming, but they HATE that some popular entertainment form exists that doesn’t conform to their miserable and resentful intersectional ideology. And their primary motivation is to “fix” gaming and make it into a big “fuck you” to anyone who doesn’t pretend to enjoy it.

Glad that people are finally catching on to their bullshit and closing their wallets. I hope these assholes never work in the gaming industry again.
I was watching some Concord videos while working, and it got to a screen that showed a bunch of characters, and just seeing it there, I was like, "who at Sony thought people would want to play as these freaks?"

It was a massive multiplayer game that was a linchpin of Sony's new strategy and lasted three weeks. The gaming press will memoryhole it but people will be talking about Concord as a failure for as long as there are videogames.

Last edited:

sainraja

Overwatch 2 gets shit on a lot, and rightfully so, but its Free to Play and it has designs that are like 1000x more compelling than Concord. Reinhardt, D.Va, Genji, Hanzo, Pharah etc all look better than anything on there. I understand wanting to buy skins and outfits for Overwatch 2.

Concord did cost $40 to even boot it up. This is quite an easy choice.
Overwatch 2 around launch was also $40, wasn't it? I remember buying it and then a few months later they pivoted to F2P and I think, if I am not mistaken, they also cancelled the single player campaign it was suppose to have.

Last edited:

sainraja

OW2 was always FTP.
Yeah looks like I was mistaken but I think people were not expecting it to be F2P. I definitely bought something for it, I guess the PVE stuff that was cancelled. From what I have read so far (just to see why I thought that), the game wasn't expected to be F2P and when that announcement was made, many were surprised by that. I guess probably because the first game wasn't.

Here is one article, and there are others like it, that state OW2 is going free to play (prior to launch):

Anyway, I was thinking it went F2P after launch so my memory was off. I will have to check my purchase history to see what I paid for exactly lol...

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah looks like I was mistaken but I think people were not expecting it to be F2P. I definitely bought something for it, I guess the PVE stuff that was cancelled. From what I have read so far (just to see why I thought that), the game wasn't expected to be F2P and when that announcement was made, many were surprised by that. I guess probably because the first game wasn't.

Here is one article, and there are others like it, that state OW2 is going free to play (prior to launch):

Anyway, I was thinking it went F2P after launch so my memory was off. I will have to check my purchase history to see what I paid for exactly lol...
I think they sold some sort of pack at launch with skins and such if i remember. But yeah at one point it was much bigger in scope and we just got, OW 1.2 instead.

simpatico

Gold Member
I remember we even had fairy recent thread on gaf when actual dev complained(was twitter post) every time he proposes sexy design for black chicks higher ups make him change it to much more ugly ones
If someone could make a database of names and pictures of the decision makers at all these gaming companies, I believe everything would make a lot more sense. For example, a person asking for uglier chicks in games is certainly someone who presents as females. Likely 50+ lbs overweight. Possibly bad teeth and unusually strong body odor as well.

Trilobit

So what happens with this game? Will it ever be playable in any form on PC or will its assets be reused somehow in their next game? Because putting 8 years of work into something that was available for two weeks and then erased from existence can't feel good for the artists and programmers involved. Sure, they've been paid, but people going into that line of work often want to feel like they've been part of something special and long-lasting. Well, it is special and will last a long time in people's memories, but not for the right reasons.

So what happens with this game? Will it ever be playable in any form on PC or will its assets be reused somehow in their next game? Because putting 8 years of work into something that was available for two weeks and then erased from existence can't feel good for the artists and programmers involved. Sure, they've been paid, but people going into that line of work often want to feel like they've been part of something special and long-lasting. Well, it is special and will last a long time in people's memories, but not for the right reasons.
No one other than Sony can say for sure, but my guess is that some of the tech/coding and ideas will be reused in a future Gaas title.
I think it's a long shot to expect this to become a f2p title given how massive a flop it was.

Sony probably wants everyone to even remember the game called Concord, but some comanies are a glutton for punishment (like Ubisoft).

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
That’s probably the conversation they’re having right now. The problem is that gamers REALLY didn’t want anything to do with this game whatsoever, even during the free beta. Like it wasn’t just a case of a promising concept that had some fix-able flaws. It wasn’t a case of there being lots of gamer interest and high expectations only to be let down. Gamers are just totally disinterested and apathetic to the entire thing.

Honestly if I were Sony I wouldn’t spend another penny on this thing. It’s a sunk cost. They’d basically have to rework it into something that’s not a 5v5 hero shooter and that has a completely different cast of characters.

Trilobit

That’s probably the conversation they’re having right now. The problem is that gamers REALLY didn’t want anything to do with this game whatsoever, even during the free beta. Like it wasn’t just a case of a promising concept that had some fix-able flaws. It wasn’t a case of there being lots of gamer interest and high expectations only to be let down. Gamers are just totally disinterested and apathetic to the entire thing.

Honestly if I were Sony I wouldn’t spend another penny on this thing. It’s a sunk cost. They’d basically have to rework it into something that’s not a 5v5 hero shooter and that has a completely different cast of characters.

If the foundation and gameplay is good then it would make more sense to cartoonify the violence and swap the characters with Playstation iconical characters into it à la Smash Bros. It would be funnier to have Murray as a tank or Sly as a Scout. Jak could be a sniper.

Top Bottom