• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you missed this video from 5 days ago, it's a hoot. I'm only 15 min into it (out of 25) and it's hilarious.

It's a bunch of gamers (incl Sutterring Craig) reacting to the day Sony announced Concord is shutting down in a few days. Make note the female has a weird cringing high pitched voice.

Last edited:

Nikodemos

image.png

image.png

image.png
Ah, the wonderful world of corporate committee enshittification. It seems to be slowly brewing enough discontent that the character artists themselves are speaking against it.
Even Kiefer's now deleted tweets mentioned getting hit by corpo enshittification.

Dynasty8

I am convinced that most of the people at Firewalk were too scared to speak up, because anyone with common sense would have called out how bad and detrimental this character change is. Shit like this matters A LOT to the overall quality of a product and many gamers are just over these "forced" changes. However, I still find it hilarious how some gamers refuse to open their eyes and continue to deny it.

The people in charge of these studios are not in charge. They are too scared to straight up say we don't want this ugly shit and unnecessary pronouns in our games as it does not appeal to the VAST majority. Their fear and "fake" pretend empathy is doing no favors to the quality of their product and sales.

It's sad because I've followed the careers from a lot of these developers at Firewalk for years throughout their time at Bungie stemming 6-10 years. I've seen interviews, vidocs, and seen their passion and love for the games they're making. MANY of them are very talented, truly they are....but THEY CAN'T SAY SHIT! Otherwise they'll lose their jobs and probably get blacklisted and cancelled to oblivion from the industry forever.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Anyone still want to try and push the "poor devs had to do shit work for woke suits" narrative ? Its all rotten... burn to the ground..

And I agree with the green hair woketard.. pretty soon I wont buy any western games... but thanks to ASIA I had and will have plenty to play ... time to go back to astro bot.. so fuck you and enjoy the unemployment list pretty soon

Beautifully put.

If you missed this video from 5 days ago, it's a hoot. I'm only 15 min into it (out of 25) and it's hilarious.

It's a bunch of gamers (incl Sutterring Craig) reacting to the day Sony announced Concord is shutting down in a few days. Make note the female has a weird cringing high pitched voice.

Thanks for the warning, I'm sure it's a funny video but I couldn't make it 30 seconds with her voice.... yeeesh.

I think there is another win from this failure. It will give confidence for upper management to "speak up" against DEI, most think that when a company goes "woke" everyone is on "it" but the reality is that is mega complicated to speak against it even at the C level because of the implications. This game will probably provide fuel for any employee to now point to this and fight against DEI (hopefully)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Still somehow 5 people on Steamdb in the game.
I think there is another win from this failure. It will give confidence for upper management to "speak up" against DEI, most think that when a company goes "woke" everyone is on "it" but the reality is that is mega complicated to speak against it even at the C level because of the implications. This game will probably provide fuel for any employee to now point to this and fight against DEI (hopefully)
Depends on the company.

And given the trend and employees, I think it'll still be a tough slog. Even if sales are bad and studios shut down, I get a feeling it'll be a slow transition back to normalcy.

On the other hand you can google Harley Davidson and some parts and supply company who got anti-woked and literally apologized to customers and publicly stated that they are shutting down DEI initiatives. The Harley thing I think stemmed from one guy on social media rallying the customer base. So it can happen. But I see blue collar kinds of companies bending back first than tech workers.

You'd think in business, the almighty dollar rules. And that dictates what gets made for sake of profits. But in media I guess not. Many studios whether it's games or movies seem to enjoy living and dying by the sword with wokeish stuff.

As I said a few times, I think the nature of the job makes it so many dont care. If a game or movie bombs it makes no difference since a lot of workers are temp gigs and contract work. By the time the product releases, they probably moved onto another gig a year earlier. They already got paid and work somewhere else. So how successful or failure it is makes no difference anymore. Just a tick mark on their linkedin resume.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
FFS. If they had asked literally anybody outside their bubble of wackos “do you prefer the left or the right” they’d have an overwhelming consensus on which one would be a bigger hit with their audience.

They literally just sacrificed their investors’ money and their own artists’ integrity for the sake of The Message. I’m so happy to see that there are such massive, immediate, and highly visible consequences for this idiocy. Hopefully it sets an example for other developers.

tmlDan

This games community on discord is killing me, they find no fault in the game and blame it on really nonsensical things.

They'll never admit that a lot of parts of the game were bad, even if we ignore the character designs. They're defending the rank play mechanic and its driving me mad.

Saber

I'm astonished how long people will keep denying theres a strong force against attractive and sexy female designs inside companies.
I'm almost 100% certain that this guy draw this character, presented the concept art on a meeting and people there were totally against it for the typical low ass reasons, mostly common being "sexualization of women is bad".
And I honestly believe is mostly their fault. Look at his tweet, "I hate giving gamergate men fuel". Lol as an artist, are you worried more about that than your piece of art and vision being destroyed? If you don't want to speak up then don't complain when people put up honey in your ass.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Seems like it still has a small dedicated player base, still sitting at the title screen

923nEWO.png

:messenger_tears_of_joy:
When I've dabbled with the surprisingly 300-500 players left on World at War on Xbox, a match can sometimes take a while. I've done my share waiting 5 mins or just constantly backing out of a lobby and rejoining hoping the algorithm just throws me on a team mid game. If nothing, I bail.

I know PC gamers are a patient bunch, but waiting 72 hours to join a match is a new tier of excellence.

In psychology class when they talk about virtues, when patience is brought up, the prof should show that pic you posted.

marquimvfs

I think those 5 or 6 players are beta testers finding out problems for Sony, so they could see if it's viable to fix or abandon the game.

cormack12

Gold Member

Depends on the company.

And given the trend and employees, I think it'll still be a tough slog. Even if sales are bad and studios shut down, I get a feeling it'll be a slow transition back to normalcy.

On the other hand you can google Harley Davidson and some parts and supply company who got anti-woked and literally apologized to customers and publicly stated that they are shutting down DEI initiatives. The Harley thing I think stemmed from one guy on social media rallying the customer base. So it can happen. But I see blue collar kinds of companies bending back first than tech workers.

You'd think in business, the almighty dollar rules. And that dictates what gets made for sake of profits. But in media I guess not. Many studios whether it's games or movies seem to enjoy living and dying by the sword with wokeish stuff.

As I said a few times, I think the nature of the job makes it so many dont care. If a game or movie bombs it makes no difference since a lot of workers are temp gigs and contract work. By the time the product releases, they probably moved onto another gig a year earlier. They already got paid and work somewhere else. So how successful or failure it is makes no difference anymore. Just a tick mark on their linkedin resume.

Usually these things come in the form of 'free' funding or grants with obligations. So they may draw down 2% of the dev budget provided they meet the diversity bullet points (like dustborn). They don't care really, it's just free money. For some indies that can give security for a number of employees.

Now yes, there are extremists who go way beyond what is actually needed to meet the funding criteria but ultimately that is how a lot of this stuff works (e.g. apply for £1.5 million funding for creative arts supporting DEI in the EU)

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Are we lucky enough that some will create their own servers of the game, so people can play it? Kind of like how there was still an online community for The Matrix Online, after the devs killed the game?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It will live on until Concord is resurrected or Firewalk is shut down.
Cant wait to see how Fairgames compares. From a DEI wokey shooter with bad pastel colours and characters, it'll now be an anti-rich guy wokey hipster vibe game with 20 year old professional heisters smack talking bankers.

But there is no way it does worse than Concord. If Fairgames bombs just as bad or worse, Concord fans (all 150 employees worth) could then breathe a sign of relief.

Still cant believe Dustborn lasted longer.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Cant wait to see how Fairgames compares. From a DEI wokey shooter with bad pastel colours and characters, it'll now be an anti-rich guy wokey hipster vibe game with 20 year old professional heisters smack talking bankers.

But there is no way it does worse than Concord. If Fairgames bombs just as bad or worse, Concord fans (all 150 employees worth) could then breathe a sign of relief.

I wouldn't be surprised if they take a good hard look at the art and design and vibe of Fairgame% after all this. Unless it's the same people that pushed Concord through.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

It seems almost impossible that anything could do as poorly as Concord. But yeah it definitely has that same “modern audiences” stink to it and the same overwhelmingly negative reaction to the reveal trailer. Doesn’t look good.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I wouldn't be surprised if they take a good hard look at the art and design and vibe of Fairgame% after all this. Unless it's the same people that pushed Concord through.
Could Sony really fail to learn their lesson, and make the same expensive ass mistake a second time?

raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

StueyDuck

Is there any actual tangible proof to this. The way it's all hacked together and the artstyle of the concept being more anime kind of makes me feel this is just a kid who drew a waifu. I mean character concept change drastically over the period of development where that design looks like they were almost the same except one was a butch fat woman with a helmet and one isn't.

like I'm sure there would be tons of variants, color schemes, styles etc. This just feels too much like a fanfic version.

if it's true though, then people can't any longer sit back and pretend like these people aren't changing or affecting games. You know the types, the ones who come into threads and moan if you say sweet baby or anything like that.

laynelane

Depends on the company.

Fairgames might give us some insight into whether any lessons were learned or not. The pre-Concord trailer does not inspire faith, but we'll see whether they go full steam ahead (like Concord did) or adjust. Agreed that change will be slower in the game industry but, on the other hand, Concord was a monumental loss on a financial basis and a reputational one too. It will be interesting to see what Sony will do - not only with upcoming releases but with Firewalk Studios too.

Cyberpunkd

It didn’t fail because of woke. It failed because of bland, generic, creatively bankrupt. Blaming “gamers” that refused to buy the game because they are a bunch of alt-right misogynists is lazy and disingenuous.

Top Bottom