• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord open Beta starts July 18

"Story based"

Based.

Base.

Foundation.

Concord is not a story based game. It's a PvP based multiplayer shooter with a silly cutscene gimmick you don't even have to interact with.

What are we doing here?!
we?
you

irrelevant implies that it dosen't matter.

I'm saying that IS relevant; that it matters but is not the core of the experience; for that I would've used paramount, fundamental, essential or necessary.

The issue here is this; there are different kind of gamers:

1.the ones that want escapism, fantasy, vibes. (story, lore, music, art)

2. the ones that just want to play.

3. the ones that want to understand and minmax/break systems-mechanics.

There is an overlap between these aspects and the type of gamer, but you need all three if you want to 'capture' and keep engaged the largest number of people.

Concord ain't excelling at any, I would say

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I dunno, the same could be said for all games.
Exactly. We've been conditioned to accept a certain payment model (full price) and now drones will attack anyone looking at its warts. F2P has its shortcomings, which everyone likes to bring up. I think it's worth looking at the traditional models shortcomings as well.

Why do I pay full price for any rpg, because Idgaf about all the sidequests?
30 percent completion rates for games kind of tells you how unhealthy that model is. Getting your money up front, and making it hard to refund, is snake oil tactics.

I think it's about value proposition.
That's true. Obviously there are good games using both models.

€40 vs f2p like Overwatch makes Concord seem not worth it.
I totally get this line of thinking. I'm now questioning it though. The internet loves going gaga over Soulslikes despite them all playing similar. I think it's possible that there's enough 5v5 type of gamers that people who loved Overwatch (Bloodborne) will happily take the jump to Concord (Elden Ring). Time will tell.

Fabieter

Exactly. We've been conditioned to accept a certain payment model (full price) and now drones will attack anyone looking at its warts. F2P has its shortcomings, which everyone likes to bring up. I think it's worth looking at the traditional models shortcomings as well.

30 percent completion rates for games kind of tells you how unhealthy that model is. Getting your money up front, and making it hard to refund, is snake oil tactics.

That's true. Obviously there are good games using both models.

I totally get this line of thinking. I'm now questioning it though. The internet loves going gaga over Soulslikes despite them all playing similar. I think it's possible that there's enough 5v5 type of gamers that people who loved Overwatch (Bloodborne) will happily take the jump to Concord (Elden Ring). Time will tell.

The souls analogy is basically pure blasphemy.

Varteras

I'm enjoying Concord alot so far, I made a quick video highlighting some moments in the beta. The gameplay is really well done 🤌🏼

Your choice as an IT-Z main is understandable. Your choice in music... less so. That said, happy to see you having fun!

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes

More story based than you thought hmm.
No Way Do Not Want GIF by MOODMAN

Madflavor

Cool that it plays well and people are having fun, but I doubt this will become a hit. Just looks like another Hero Shooter to add to the mix, but with obnoxious looking characters and marvel tier level dialogue.

Neolombax

I wonder what the reception would have been if Firewalk didn't lean too much into this game being inclusive and such. Granted the game being labelled woke doesn't have much bearing at all when in the actual game, there's barely any story honestly, then why do it anyway? Its unwarranted bad press, which is a shame because the gameplay is quite good and some people cant get past that.

Personally I find some of the character designs very questionable. Characters like Daw, Emari and Bazz, I would call them bad design. I would pick these characters for the weapons and kits, but I'm not totally happy to do it. You barely see these designs in the game, opposing teams have this red glow about them anyway. Again, why risk bad press or give ammo for people to hate on it? Its just all around odd design choices.

Its kind of frustrating because I find myself wanting this game to grow. But the beta player count isn't encouraging, and this feels like its headed towards the same fate as Gigantic for some reason. Maybe support for this game will end after a year, but that didn't really stop me from enjoying Exoprimal (which was tons of fun btw). Ah, look at me rant. Fun game with a really good skeleton, most likely will preorder after the beta period, but not holding my breath long term.

Killjoy-NL

Cool that it plays well and people are having fun, but I doubt this will become a hit. Just looks like another Hero Shooter to add to the mix, but with obnoxious looking characters and marvel tier level dialogue.
Does it need to become a hit though?

All it needs is a decent amount of players to have a healthy community.
Not all games need to be as successfull as Fortnite.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
As someone who gives every high profile pvp game a good go, this just doesn't do enough to separate itself from the crowd.

The game is fine, I've had some fun moments with my team but it just doesn't separate itself from valorant, overwatch, cs2, halo, destiny, the list goes on.

I think peeps will deffo enjoy it but it reminds me of bleeding edge so much. Serviceable but ultimately dead if the numbers aren't retained and I think preps will have a blast for a period and go back to other higher profile games.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

So fair review from me:

• The graphics are quite nice, animations etc done well
  • The gunplay is decent but feels slightly sluggish
  • The Maps seem "fine" for now but felt either too big or too small no perfect middle.
  • Outside of the pronoun stuff, the characters seem quite varied gameplay wise

I had some perfect matches to be fair on the "rivals" mode which added some tension and the different skills mixing when people started getting used to how it works, it is not a BAD game, its 100% trying to hit woke masses and the £40 is a right off already, the game will die quick.

Last edited:

Fabieter

So fair review from me:

• The gunplay is decent but feels slightly sluggish
  • The Maps seem "fine" for now but felt either too big or too small no perfect middle.
  • Outside of the pronoun stuff, the characters seem quite varied gameplay wise

I had some perfect matches to be fair on the "rivals" mode which added some tension and the different skills mixing when people started getting used to how it works, it is not a BAD game, its 100% trying to hit woke masses and the £40 is a right off already, the game will die quick.

Yea no wokeness, better writing, better character designs and srsly more interesting maps and this could hace seen something good.

• The gunplay is decent
  • The characters seem quite varied gameplay wise
After trying it out I agree with these 3 points. Giant trash can guy, blue brute, and spore bug man had the most interesting gameplay to me.

This gameplay is too Halo/Destiny-like to be potentially wasted on a PvP-only experience like this.

And then I played a few rounds of Titanfall 2 and realized that fuck MP games these days. Nothing against this one in particular, but it’s hardly progress is it?
I wonder what the reception would have been if Firewalk didn't lean too much into this game being inclusive and such. Granted the game being labelled woke doesn't have much bearing at all when in the actual game, there's barely any story honestly, then why do it anyway? Its unwarranted bad press, which is a shame because the gameplay is quite good and some people cant get past that.

Again, why risk bad press or give ammo for people to hate on it? Its just all around odd design choices.

It’s likely because the team behind the game is quite varied, and they want to make a game that feels inclusive. It’s not that fucking complicated.

And they haven’t even really pushed it themselves, it’s been propelled into High Significance by the self-igniting rectal warts who claim to oppose it in the first place. The fact that there are loud cucks feeling attacked and excluded by an added level of inclusivity, that’s a hell of a lot harder to wrap one’s head around.

And asking devs to yield in a certain direction? It’s every bit as disgusting now as it was when Linehan was effectively cancelled.

Killjoy-NL

And they haven’t even really pushed it themselves, it’s been propelled into High Significance by the self-igniting rectal warts who claim to oppose it in the first place. The fact that there are loud cucks feeling attacked and excluded by an added level of inclusivity, that’s a hell of a lot harder to wrap one’s head around.
No lies detected, especially bolded.

Fabieter

And then I played a few rounds of Titanfall 2 and realized that fuck MP games these days. Nothing against this one in particular, but it’s hardly progress is it?

It’s likely because the team behind the game is quite varied, and they want to make a game that feels inclusive. It’s not that fucking complicated.

And asking devs to yield in a certain direction? It’s every bit as disgusting now as it was when Linehan was effectively cancelled.

No its because they are using sweet baby inc shitty character designs and they deserve what's coming to them for doing so.

Iam not so sure how far their consultants part goes and with the character designs being this bad i cant help it that sweet baby inc might gave their okay for this monstrosity.

Hey schmuck, you just said ”it is because” which would imply that you are sure. But you’re not. In fact, I’d wager you don’t know anything about in which capacity SBI was involved, or in what.

Fabieter

Hey schmuck, you just said ”it is because” which would imply that you are sure. But you’re not. In fact, I’d wager you don’t know anything about in which capacity SBI was involved, or in what.

I never saw worse character designs in a game so I would be sad if the devs were doing it all by themselves so if it's wasnt sbi than there is no hope for this studio.

Bartski

Gold Member
there is a lot of good animation work worth noticing but I played one match and I'm not playing a second one. Have fun

Xtib81

Played for 2-3hours. I'll stand by what I said, the TTK is too damn high and the pace is also too slow for my liking. Also, when someone leaves mid-game, he's not replaced as far as I can tell, which creates an imbalance. The game could know some success as it's overall pleasant but I don't think it will be a hit.

Varteras

Now that I finally had a moment to test it, yeah. The TTK is too high. Not massively so, but too high nonetheless. Playing as Teo, I felt completely useless against 1-Off. I could not do enough damage to be a real threat. Especially not when he hoovered up my bullets. I got the drop on Kyps and Daw several times in one match. Yet despite plugging many rounds into them, including headshots, they just didn't drop as fast as I felt they should have. They were able to disengage or live long enough for allies to show up and make me back off. Healers, tanks, and anyone capable of laying down defenses just takes an already lengthy engagement and makes it even longer in the tooth. If not impossible.

Had the misfortune of fighting a team where all of their characters had some way to block, reduce, or heal damage and it was just impossible to crack them. Certain characters feel clearly designed as lonewolf types, like Lennox, in a game where the balance makes that just not fun. I'll give it another try later but my own early impressions are that a big balance pass needs to be done before release. Preferably before open beta next weekend.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The TTK is too high because the game was built around it's team based competitive modes (Cargo Run and Clash Point), while most people seem to be playing the casual modes more often, which naturally lend themselves to solo play.

I'll give it another try later but my own early impressions are that a big balance pass needs to be done before release. Preferably before open beta next weekend.

Not saying it doesn’t need balancing (it does), but for me, the game really only opened up after I switched to a high mobility character and employing the tactic of getting behind people, and search out health often. Baiting people into chasing me around corners where a health-recharge is waiting is fun, too.

I think I did the worst with Teo, to be honest.

Top Bottom