• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder_ur

A lot of the disappointment comes from lack of direct communication from Bungie on what to expect until now. If we'd known TTK was the final paid expansion w/ significant content then these events would be seen in a different light. But when they don't tell you that, and they say they're going to be a big annual press conference around the time the previous year they released a new raid; and then all it is is a temporary mini-game...

wow that's a run-on sentence.

Yeah, they needed to be more upfront with this all along, and I've been saying that.

When you think about the idea that what we should be expecting is middling if fun MT-laden events funding the next MT-laden event, it's kind of depressing.

EL CUCO

I for one dont mind the lack of content. Gives me more time to spend on Uncharted 4 when the game releases. Even with only 2 maps and 1 game mode the beta has been a blast to play.

A lot of the disappointment comes from lack of direct communication from Bungie on what to expect until now. If we'd known TTK was the final paid expansion w/ significant content then these events would be seen in a different light. But when they don't tell you that, and they say they're going to be a big annual press conference around the time the previous year they released a new raid; and then all it is is a temporary mini-game...

Yeah, they really need to work on their communication skills. When you go so long without saying anything, players start making more and more assumption, and feeling more and more entitled.

Thus when things finally do get announced, expectations likely aren't met, and the reactions turn sour.

All my HM drops from 3x Golgoroth were boots, including random drops. Warlock got a quadruple boots drop and then got 310 boots from Oryx. Well at least I'll have 320 Bones of Eao when they drop.

Thanks to the Holy Divers for letting me run with you again.

ethomaz

Banned
Seems like Bungie created it own Destiny Tower App called Gears Manager Beta.

Edit - It works better than Destiny Tower.

The average player might not get through the content at the rate people here do, but 3 months in, players will have what they want. If you don't have stuff like a sleeper or exotic sword yet, you don't really want one that bad. The average person doesn't raid so that takes a huge chunk of the endgame out of the average person's play time as well.

See a statement like this, suggests that you're taking the average player in mind but at the same time you're still saying things like, "If you don't have X by Y point, you don't really want one that bad" which is clearly a statement of someone viewing things from a personal lens.

Some people didn't buy TTK at launch. Some have way less time to devote to the game regularly. Some may just find the content harder to complete. Some people split their time up between more games. Regardless of the reasons there is no way to, as a player, definitively say, "By 3 months the average player has _____" because you don't have anything to judge by other than anecdote.

Moreso to the point, what I'm saying is this stuff was probably laid out and green lit before or just after TTK launch anyways. So to expect Bungie to know that less than 3 months from TTK's launch there would be this super vocal contingent of the playerbase unhappy because they've been bored for 6-8 weeks so they'll be disappointed with a highly requested game mode addition is a bit much.

I figure I'll try to play a raid for the first time soon. Anyone have any idea how much time I should set aside?
Like 3 hrs? 4?

Assuming King's Fall is gonna be your first raid, it could be anywhere from 1 to 4 hours depending on the team experience and light level. If it's mostly experienced folks it should be 90-120 minutes, given time to explain things and wipe a few times each encounter. All newbies could be 3-4 hours, while a totally blind all-newbie run could be 17.5 hours.

Johndoey

Banned
Assuming King's Fall is gonna be your first raid, it could be anywhere from 1 to 4 hours depending on the team experience and light level. If it's mostly experienced folks it should be 90-120 minutes, given time to explain things and wipe a few times each encounter. All newbies could be 3-4 hours, while a totally blind all-newbie run could be 17.5 hours.
Alright thanks.

WipedOut

The communication can be resolved by hiring a better marketing and communications team, Deej needs to go, the guy is just not a good spokesperson. People should embrace a community manager not want to despise and cringe at their every word.

Trakan

See a statement like this, suggests that you're taking the average player in mind but at the same time you're still saying things like, "If you don't have X by Y point, you don't really want one that bad" which is clearly a statement of someone viewing things from personal lens.

Some people didn't buy TTK at launch. Some have way less time to devote to the game regularly. Some may just find the content harder to the complete. Some people split their time up between more games. Regardless of the reasons there is no way to, as a player, definitively say, "By 3 months the average player has _____" because you don't have anything to judge by other than anecdote.

Moreso to the point, what I'm saying is this stuff was probably laid out and green lit before or just after TTK launch anyways. So to expect Bungie to know that less than 3 months from TTK's launch there would be this super vocal contingent of the playerbase unhappy because they've been bored for 6-8 weeks so they'll be disappointed with a highly requested game mode addition is a bit much.

Obviously I'm talking about people who've had TTK since launch. If you bought it yesterday, there's a good chance you don't have everything yet. I'm using 3 months as a timeframe based on the amount of content TTK offers. If you don't raid, and you completed the story mode, there's not much else to do. The average person also has one character. I don't believe that in this amount of time that a normal person also doesn't have everything they want outside of a god roll rng gun chance.

If you didn't know or Bungie didn't know that the playerbase would be unhappy with this content drought in this timeframe, then they don't know their own audience. Most people were expecting TDB/HoW style expansions and we're not getting them. They claim Destiny is a living world, blah blah blah but with this amount of content/change, it's not.

Liamc723

This is the update where get to do something with etheric light and wormspore, right? Have they detailed what we're doing with them yet?

phen0m24

Broman said to just be happy guys.

Source? ;)

I replied to Justin Massongill's retweet.

You're having a better social media interactivity today.

Fosho

The communication can be resolved by hiring a better marketing and communications team, Deej needs to go, the guy is just not a good spokesperson. People should embrace a community manager not want to despise and cringe at their every word.

Ahem

I finally leveled up a second character! I had been putting it off because I was attached to my hunter, but I wanted to try out a Warlock, so I built one. It was hell trying to get to 40, but The Crucible made the trip slightly easier.

I don't know how often I'll play this character, but it's nice to have options.

So judging by this comment:
"News that there might not be significant new zones or new raids until fall of 2016 might come as a bummer to some, but sources close to the game’s development have told me that last year’s DLC schedule was unsustainable. In the long run, this could make for a better game."
http://kotaku.com/bungie-confirms-that-theyre-not-doing-big-destiny-dlc-t-1746865949

Odds are that the only reason we got TDB and HoW in such a "timely" fasion is because they probably had prior work completed for them before Destiny Vanilla launched.

Thus, it's probably safe to assume that the rate we're getting content now is going to become the new norm unless bungie does a major hiring spree where they can generate more content more frequently.

Raven117

As much as I don't care for Deej's writing style very much, this is very likely not his call.

Bungie, Activision, and associated marketers are being this way on purpose. For what end, I do not know.

I think its safe to assume that there is an "All hands on Deck" approach for trying to get something together for Destiny 2 (if they are even trying for next year any more)...and there wont be much significant content anymore (im talking raids here).

Deku Tree

http://kotaku.com/bungie-confirms-that-theyre-not-doing-big-destiny-dlc-t-1746865949

Odds are that the only reason we got TDB and HoW in such a "timely" fasion is because they probably had prior work completed for them before Destiny Vanilla launched.

Thus, it's probably safe to assume that the rate we're getting content now is going to become the new norm unless bungie does a major hiring spree where they can generate more content more frequently.

Or they bring on other studios to make content, as in the way that CoD managed yearly releases.

Trakan

According to an older Kotaku article, TDB was completed in 5 weeks or something stupid like that.

They also already have a second studio working on content.

According to an older Kotaku article, TDB was completed in 5 weeks or something stupid like that.

They also already have a second studio working on content.

Dark Below was completed in 9 weeks, but as we all know, at least some resources were existed in an unfinished state when Destiny Launched.

The second studio thing is the interesting part. I wonder what content they're more likely to outsource.

Obviously I'm talking about people who've had TTK since launch. If you bought it yesterday, there's a good chance you don't have everything yet. I'm using 3 months as a timeframe based on the amount of content TTK offers. If you don't raid, and you completed the story mode, there's not much else to do. The average person also has one character. I don't believe that in this amount of time that a normal person also doesn't have everything they want outside of a god roll rng gun chance.

If you didn't know or Bungie didn't know that the playerbase would be unhappy with this content drought in this timeframe, then they don't know their own audience. Most people were expecting TDB/HoW style expansions and we're not getting them. They claim Destiny is a living world, blah blah blah but with this amount of content/change, it's not.

I'm going to go ahead and give you the anecdote of myself to counter your argument. I got TTK about a week and a half after launch, play pretty often (up until last week it was the only game I was playing actually) and I still don't have ToM, am only LL 306/7, still want IB gear, still want Trials gear, still want the exotic DO class item, still want to do challenge mode clears, etc...

None of this is due to lack of interest or being bored with the game. And while I have complaints about certain things, I'm not personally unhappy with the game overall. Someone like me, appears to be a rarity here (I wasn't unhappy with the game in Y1 either) but with the stats that Bungie has released about the playerbase, I can't imagine I'm a rarity within the playerbase as a whole, in terms of being ok with the game rather than unhappy.

Trakan

Dark Below was completed in 9 weeks, but as we all know, at least some resources were existed in an unfinished state when Destiny Launched.

The second studio thing is the interesting part. I wonder what content they're more likely to outsource.

According to when the news hit, it goes back to at least last May.

As I understand it, according to the Kotaku leaks, High Moon polishes content that Bungie creates.

With CoD, as you know, it's essentially an entirely different studio that has basically total control over different years CoD releases.

So they're a fancy test team a la Super Mario Club?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom