• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stuff in there now just feels like a half assed afterthought and they are never used outside of a story mission and 2 PVP maps anyway. Just seems like a idea someone had that they tossed in while they where cobbling the game together in a rush.

I think Bungie did good vehicle stuff before and I think it would bring something to Destiny if they leaned into it again in the future. Maybe have a few wheel based Vehicles instead of everything just feeling like a sparrow.

3 maps actually.

And I think Bungie was losing their handle on good vehicles throughout Halo. Halo 3 was pinnacle (to me). Reach had terrible vehicles that were made out of paper.

Basically, I think designing maps around vehicles, and balancing said maps became too much of a chore, so vehicles became more and more shunned.

Worked on for a while? There's 2 tracks. This event looks like 1 guy did it over the course of a weekend.

That's not even a fair thing to say. You obviously have no idea how game development works if you think 1 person did all of the SRL...

Worked on for a while? There's 2 tracks. This event looks like 1 guy did it over the course of a weekend.

According to what was stated about the engine that Destiny uses (and considering how many playspaces we got with the full game and each DLC) I really doubt it's anywhere near that quick to build the geometry for those levels.

Lol, the only thing thats left is for a thread to appear on gaming side and us all to decamp over there agreeing with it

The circle will then be complete

One of us should just start the thread over there and let it run it's course. It's bound to be filled with people who never play the game anyway.

Mindlog

I recently heard about a feature that was cut from Taken King and might make for a really cool "event" next year (if they bring it back), but I don't want to report on it until I can second-source and confirm that it's 100% true.

I am excited to see stuff like the European Dead Zone and Pyramidion (Mars).
I am going to steal this rumor, source it and then send it to another outlet as a hot scoop.

RE: Old Chicago. Solid beer selection.

really let down by the news that all we get for year 2 is "events" like what is this game right now?

Yes there is stuff to do every few months but none of it matters, its not items I will be taking anywhere.

really disappointed in year II so far.

The stuff in there now just feels like a half assed afterthought and they are never used outside of a story mission and 2 PVP maps anyway. Just seems like a idea someone had that they tossed in while they where cobbling the game together in a rush.

I think Bungie did good vehicle stuff before and I think it would bring something to Destiny if they leaned into it again in the future. Maybe have a few wheel based Vehicles instead of everything just feeling like a sparrow.

Vehicles aren't a bigger thing in the game because there's no friendly AI in the game. They're not going to design a vehicle that can't be used in a lot of game modes, and most importantly, by yourself. That's why all the vehicles are single seat.

Story missions need to be solo-able, and that would require AI. Bungie's biggest priority when it comes to strikes is that be grief-proof. Any mission design that requires a vehicle would be a huge grief target. PvP had one vehicle mode, but I think it was the least played, so no go there. The last mode then is raids, but as awesome as that'd be, Bungie isn't going to design a vehicle for use in a mode that a tiny % of the player base uses.

Man, I do miss warthogs, though. My favorite part of Halo.

Now that there's Sparrow Racing Leagues, can Bungie please print more of these Studio shirts?
oldskookl.jpg

Vehicles aren't a bigger thing in the game because there's no friendly AI in the game. They're not going to design a vehicle that can't be used in a lot of game modes, and most importantly, by yourself. That's why all the vehicles are single seat.

Story missions need to be solo-able, and that would require AI. Bungie's biggest priority when it comes to strikes is that be grief-proof. Any mission design that requires a vehicle would be a huge grief target. PvP had one vehicle mode, but I think it was the least played, so no go there. The last mode then is raids, but as awesome as that'd be, Bungie isn't going to design a vehicle for use in a mode that a tiny % of the player base uses.

Man, I do miss warthogs, though. My favorite part of Halo.

Vehicles in PvP isn't the original plan though.

Back in the day, First Light and Bastion were both part of Control and Clash, and included their vehicle spawns.

At some point around Dark Below, First Light and Bastion were split into two. One without Vehicles (which would stay in Control and Clash), and one with vehicles that would move to Combined Arms.

Combined Arms existed before this change, but it just had faster respawn rates for vehicles, and only had maps in it that had vehicles. Thus you only played on First Light or Bastion.

When Skyshock came out with Dark below, all vehicles were moved to Combined Arms, and the maps themselves disappeared from other playlists.

It wouldn't be until way later that the non-vehicular maps would come back to other game types.

Afrocious

It was definitely talked about and requested quite a bit and I think it's disingenous to say that it was added as a distraction. Way more likely that it was being worked on for awhile.

We don't know for sure, but I doubt they were unless in-shop conversations were about how to prolong the game without new PvE content. Because there's a big hole here with RNG gear and easy, time gated challenges being added to get guaranteed exotics and guaranteed 320 gear.

Meanwhile folks heading to Mercury on the weekends could find a new hobby in light of all this but that's none of my business *sips tea*

Kaiken

Banned
I can finally run raids x3.
My Defender Titan is 313 LL and doesn't even have the Weapons of Light perk unlocked yet haha.

Trakan

That's not even a fair thing to say. You obviously have no idea how game development works if you think 1 person did all of the SRL...

Take it easy, I like to exaggerate for effect. I said "looks like" because it does. This is the most unimpressive "event" I've ever seen. The actual race mechanic is super basic. It's two tracks. This is going to get boring after 30 minutes and they want you to do them for 3 weeks.

Afrocious

Take it easy, I like to exaggerate for effect. I said "looks like" because it does. This is the most unimpressive "event" I've ever seen. The actual race mechanic is super basic. It's two tracks. This is going to get boring after 30 minutes and they want you to do them for 3 weeks.

No way it can be worse than that queen stuff back in year one. I'm unimpressed too but we'll see.

So this is the most unimpressive event you've ever seen?

Not the original Queen's Wrath? Or the Original Iron Banner where level "mattered".

Or are you exaggerating for effect again?

The Traveler.

Honestly, at this point, I think "Our suits/armor" is a better answer.

Just because we now have that Drifter Map where everything else in the ship seems to be low gravity except for us, and only when we're alive.

Thus, we must be in control of our own gravity somehow...

Trakan

So this is the most unimpressive event you've ever seen?

Not the original Queen's Wrath? Or the Original Iron Banner where level "mattered".

Or are you exaggerating for effect again?

Both of those had a bunch of rewards. The original Queen's Wrath was awesome for leveling up alts, even if that's wasn't what was intended. I got one of my favorite legendary weapons from Queen's Wrath in The Supremacy. The first IB is pretty much the same as it is now with "power mattering." It was still a PVP event that offered more content in armor and weapons than this one does with its 2 tracks.

flkraven

Btw. Is it common knowledge that you can find a relic while just running around the dreadnaught? I found one on patrol for the first time yesterday.

ethomaz

Banned
Btw. Is it common knowledge that you can find a relic while just running around the dreadnaught? I found one on patrol for the first time yesterday.
Yes... on the CoO wait room you can find one but I never saw what it can do.

Yes. It's the intended method for opening the chest that drains your health.
Dammit I used the Sunsinger super to open the chest :p
Using the Radiance shield you won't die before open the chest and it take half of the normal damage.

Yeah I know there's one you can pick up that I believe gives you immunity to open that Interloper fragment chest. But it was so easy to use Armor bubble or Bladedancer or Radiant Skin or sword block that I never actually used it.

We don't know for sure, but I doubt they were unless in-shop conversations were about how to prolong the game without new PvE content. Because there's a big hole here with RNG gear and easy, time gated challenges being added to get guaranteed exotics and guaranteed 320 gear.

Meanwhile folks heading to Mercury on the weekends could find a new hobby in light of all this but that's none of my business *sips tea*

Genuine question. Did you consider that maybe the sparrow races were mapped out (in terms of production order) and greenlit before Bungie knew exactly how quickly the playerbase was going to go from "TTK is the best thing to happen to Destiny since launch" to "This game sucks, LL doesn't matter, I need more stuff to do Bungie!" ? And are you taking into account the fact that not every Destiny player blows through the content at the rate that some players here do?

Now obviously you don't have to consider those things to feel the way you feel about the content itself but if you are speculating as to Bungie's goals and motivations when making these decisions then it definitely should be considered.

Using the Radiance shield you won't die before open the chest and it take half of the normal damage.

It can spawn in any of the 3 rooms where The Hive are doing rituals. When you clear the adds doing the ritual 1 of 3 minibosses can spawn. The relic thing drops from the Witch miniboss.

Johndoey

Banned
I figure I'll try to play a raid for the first time soon. Anyone have any idea how much time I should set aside?
Like 3 hrs? 4?

LTWood12

A lot of the disappointment comes from lack of direct communication from Bungie on what to expect until now. If we'd known TTK was the final paid expansion w/ significant content then these events would be seen in a different light. But when they don't tell you that, and they say they're going to be a big annual press conference around the time the previous year they released a new raid; and then all it is is a temporary mini-game...

wow that's a run-on sentence.

Trakan

And are you taking into account the fact that not every Destiny player blows through the content at the rate that some players here do?

The average player might not get through the content at the rate people here do, but 3 months in, players will have what they want. If you don't have stuff like a sleeper or exotic sword yet, you don't really want one that bad. The average person doesn't raid so that takes a huge chunk of the endgame out of the average person's play time as well.

flkraven

Yes. It's the intended method for opening the chest that drains your health.

Yeah I know there's one you can pick up that I believe gives you immunity to open that Interloper fragment chest. But it was so easy to use Armor bubble or Bladedancer or Radiant Skin or sword block that I never actually used it.

Thanks guys. Yah, I just used a bubble to grab that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom