• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] PlayStation 5 Pro Hands-On: 11 Games Tested, PSSR and RT Upgrades Revealed, Developers Interviewed!

ManaByte

There was nothing the fix, it's the VRR window specified by the HDMI Forum for HDMI 2.1

I was hoping that when they went and did a mid-gen refresh of the hardware they'd at least update the VRR to match the XSX's 30-120hz window. Again, I'm still trying to pre-order one tomorrow and will get the 30th if I get lucky enough, but it's disappointing for a $700 console.

digdug2

Does this mean they didn't fix the VRR window on the Pro? What the fuck. Disappointing but still going to try to pre-order tomorrow.
I read that they did fix it on CNET a couple weeks ago. They said that the VRR now goes from 40-120fps.

Zacfoldor

I read that they did fix it on CNET a couple weeks ago. They said that the VRR now goes from 40-120fps.

Thank you, I knew I read that somewhere.

"TVs with variable refresh rates that can range from 40 to 120 fps are going to work with the PS5 Pro, Cerny adds, because games will automatically get frame rate improvements without an upgrade patch."

That's kinda important to me, I wish Sony would confirm. That article says "Cerny adds" but I mean, maybe it is a typo? Maybe the writer assumed it was always 40 to 120. We just don't know.

Last edited:

kevboard

I was hoping for this as well, but XSX starts on 40.

with LFC it's 20, without it's 40.

but your TV also has to support that. many TVs only support 48hz anyway, so the real thing that makes the SX implementation as good as it is, is that you can output 120hz at all times, which gives even these only 48hz capable TVs a framerate window of 24 to 120 fps to work with.

so Sony doesn't even have to widen their VRR window, they need to add a system setting that works like the Xbox's 120hz output, one that always outputs 120hz, and doubles every frame of 60hz games.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

with LFC it's 20, without it's 40.

but your TV also has to support that. many TVs only support 48hz anyway, so the real thing that makes the SX implementation as good as it is, is that you can output 120hz at all times, which gives even these only 48hz capable TVs a framerate window of 24 to 120 fps to work with.

so Sony doesn't even have to widen their VRR window, they need to add a system setting that works like the Xbox's 120hz output, one that always outputs 120hz, and doubles every frame of 60hz games.
To be fair, I assumed everyone wanting a pro was already rocking a LG OLED.

Honestly, as hyped as I am for pro, I'd buy that TV upgrade first.

Luipadre

They need to show more games running in perf mode like Rebirth. All of these games already looked good in 60 fps modes, except rebirth. One game that looks low ress and blurry in performance mode is alan wake 2 and ofc we dont have footage of that except that 1 second footage...

I fucking hope they don't: 120 Hz output on Xbox Series sucks for games limited to 60 fps (that are like 95% of the total)

Last edited:

digdug2

While I have an 77" LG OLED, I am not going to be playing my PS5 Pro on it. Instead, I am going to be playing it on my new Hisense 85" U8N. It was a great deal, the picture quality is awesome, and the VRR kicks in at 20Hz. The only downside to the TV is that it only has (2) 4K/120 HDMI ports.

Last edited:

Killer8

It's a shame they didn't put out this video on their premium subscriber site in 4K quality. Can only see a 1080p 10.7mbps h.264 file, which kind of kills some of the utility it might've had for comparisons.

Normally DF puts this content out in full fat 4K and you can judge it much better without all the detail killing Youtube compression. I remember subbing to their Patreon for a month before the PS4 Pro launch for their high-end videos and it was totally worth it from a consumer awareness point of view.

It's just baffling that Sony obviously isn't going to do it themselves. Trying to sell a console, which has image quality as it's big selling point, using media platforms with notoriously shit video quality is a fool's errand.

kevboard

even 40hz can be a close call tho. Dragon's Dogma 2 on base PS5 wouldn't work with a 40hz lower bound for example. so the only way for games like that to properly work with VRR, you need 120hz (which they thankfully added to the game)

Elden Ring would be another game which drops below 40fps, and needs 120hz to feel smooth either way.

so IMO, 40hz support shouldn't even be that much of a priority, it's a nice bonus, but universal 120hz output support with build in frame doubling for all games in a 60hz container should be the actual priority here and shouldn't be that hard to implement I don't think

Last edited:

Bojji

So GG has made their own reconstruction technique? Is it going to be in the original PS5 or is it exclusive to the Pro?

It's probably more expensive than what they are using so I doubt they will change fw on PS5 but horizon 3 might be build with this budget in mind.

It's probably not even using ML hardware. Weird shit.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Praise The Lord GIF by Soul Train

Kangx

I believe IGN has a longer footage here on DD.

The image quality of the Pro look great here even comparable to DLSS on pc?

Christ. This game image quality is really bad plus the frame rate on consoles especially the series S.

I say it really transformative going from the base ps5 to the pro.

Last edited:

Scary_Larry

In regards to Dragon's Dogma 2, has the performance been improved with the latest patch or no? I read it has, but not sure I entirely believe it. Only thing stopping me from getting it. Same for FF Rebirth.

I am absolutely skipping the PS5 Pro until there is a price drop. Feels like my base PS5 will be just fine until it dies (knock on wood) and I have no inclination to upgrade at that price point.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Absolutely none of this justifies me spending $700 on a Pro PS5. The differences while present, just don't make it worth it at all for me. I'm gonna wait for a while and see how games look on it in a year or two.
Same here, I'm just not seeing £700 worth of visual upgrades, the only game where I seen a huge difference was F1, now that looked like a proper generational leap

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If you're a mostly Playstation gamer, they're teaching you to skip launch and just get on the Pro track going forward. If you hung onto a PS4 Pro and never got a PS5, you really didn't miss much, and performance in games like Forbidden West and Ragnarok was still pretty good.

You must be smoking rocks! The load times alone along with other games like Spiderman 2, Astrobot, Stellar Blade, Demon Souls Remake, and Returnal say you a lie!

DryvBy

You must be smoking rocks! The load times alone along with other games like Spiderman 2, Astrobot, Stellar Blade, Demon Souls Remake, and Returnal say you a lie!
I think people forget how freaking loud those PS4 Pro fans got too. I had couldn't play God of War without headphones thank to the jet engines firing up.

Load times are huge. The only thing this gen is lacking more of is the graphics. Those aren't leap and bounds better than the previous gen but the framerates are better.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I think people forget how freaking loud those PS4 Pro fans got too. I had couldn't play God of War without headphones thank to the jet engines firing up.

Load times are huge. The only thing this gen is lacking more of is the graphics. Those aren't leap and bounds better than the previous gen but the framerates are better.
you can't get better graphics each gen, we reached the limit unless you want games to cost billions to make

SHA

If you're a mostly Playstation gamer, they're teaching you to skip launch and just get on the Pro track going forward. If you hung onto a PS4 Pro and never got a PS5, you really didn't miss much, and performance in games like Forbidden West and Ragnarok was still pretty good.
But you knew down the road that even a zen2 cpu will bottleneck upcoming great looking open world games.

Vick

Gold Member
I believe IGN has a longer footage here on DD.

Man, the Part II footage in there..

Hungry Ad-Rock GIF by Beastie Boys

No Return addiction here I come.

Also, those "issues" in movement discussed by DF depends almost certainly by the max grain settings enabled in the footage.
Grain was turned off in the Pro reveal footage and none of those "inconsistencies" were mentioned.

Skifi28

Dragon's Dogma running at 50-55fps in the city is insane considering the base machine can barely keep above 30 with terrible frametimes. Seems like the modest CPU clock upgrade might be punching above its weight.

Lol from 30-35 to 52-55 is not transformative
My PC that has a much better CPU than the PS5 can barely keep 40 in the city and with some crazy frametime spikes. That also means that most other areas outside the city (which is the biggest stress test in the game to my knowledge) should be locked 60. It really is transformative.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Nice rt additions in f1 so indeed quite a improvement in rt performance on ps5pro. Also nice that even in titles cpu limited quite a big boosts (from low 30 to low 50 is game changer)

Last edited:

SHA

The Ps6 obviously is the natural upgrade from ps5, the pro is like swapping zen 2 systems gpu with newer 7800xt gpu cause on paper it sounds like a stupid move.

All this talk and all we see are the same old games that we played years ago. Forbidden West? The cross-gen game that was admittedly compromised for PS4 is now the showcase game for the PS5 Pro?

I'll wait until holiday 2025 when there are actually new games that utilize the features. Although, I'm still waiting games that utilize the PS5 itself. I can count the "PS5" games I have played on one hand.

FireFly

WTF imagine saying that if you are a quality mode 30 fps player you wont see much difference from the 60 fps from the pro.. what bizarre stance to take
I think they were saying that if you are happy with 30 FPS then the Pro may not be worth it for you, since its main benefit is enabling 60 FPS at close to quality mode fidelity.

Fbh

Seems like a pretty good upgrade but not worth $900-1000 for me (even assuming I can sell my ps5 for $350 that's still $550)

All this talk and all we see are the same old games that we played years ago. Forbidden West? The cross-gen game that was admittedly compromised for PS4 is now the showcase game for the PS5 Pro?

I'll wait until holiday 2025 when there are actually new games that utilize the features. Although, I'm still waiting games that utilize the PS5 itself. I can count the "PS5" games I have played on one hand.

I think a part of the problem is that they are focusing a lot on Sony first party games which honestly already look and run pretty good in their performance mode.
They should be looking at more recent third party games which run like shit, stuff like Space Marine 2, Alan Wake 2, Star Wars Outlaws, etc.
Like so far the biggest upgrade I've seen from the Pro is definitely Rebirth, goes from a blurry mess to looking arguably better than the current Quality mode but at twice the framerate.

Last edited:
Definitely seems like a better upgrade than the ps4 pro, price aside.
I don't agree.

PS4 Pro gave us 4K from 1080p. Horizon Zero Dawn and Gran Turismo Sport were completely different games, especially with the texture upgrades.

It was a measly $100 upgrade. I remember at the time, you could trade in your PS4 and pay $150 put of pocket for the Pro during a GameStop promo.

The PS5 Pro is $320 CAD more than the PS5, plus another $40 for a stand, and $100 for a disc drive (both of which were included with my PS5). With tax, that is $520 more for a Pro over the regular model.

It's over $1200 CAD for the Pro with optical and a stand. It's lunacy.

Last edited:
I think they were saying that if you are happy with 30 FPS then the Pro may not be worth it for you, since its main benefit is enabling 60 FPS at close to quality mode fidelity.

Yeah I get it. But still makes little sense

If you are not interested in better performance, then PS5 Pro is not meant for you anyway

Seems like a moot point to me

Last edited:

FireFly

Yeah I get it. But still makes little sense

If you are not interested in better performance, then PS5 Pro is not meant for you anyway

Seems like a moot point to me
Well, you might be interested in better performance if it enables additional RT effects for example. (Which the Pro does for select titles).

Top Bottom