• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] PlayStation 5 Pro Hands-On: 11 Games Tested, PSSR and RT Upgrades Revealed, Developers Interviewed!

Loope

It doesn’t change his point. While some PCMRs flaunt their RTX 4090s to enjoy the latest graphical features, the reality is that many more PC users are still using GTX 1650s and 1060s. The same goes for consoles; you have the option to stick with a PS5 or upgrade to a PS5 Pro. However, pretending that most PCMRs are experiencing all the ‘cool’ graphical features is misleading and pathetic flex.
True, i wouldn't as a flex, more like a plus. Provided you have a decent pc, you can up your performance by a huge margin with just the GPU.

I believe IGN has a longer footage here on DD.

The image quality of the Pro look great here even comparable to DLSS on pc?

Christ. This game image quality is really bad plus the frame rate on consoles especially the series S.

I say it really transformative going from the base ps5 to the pro.

DD2 has being unsurprisingly overlooked by DF, and they didn't make a direct comparison. But just PSSR replacing CBR is actually huge. I noticed the difference immediately. Of course they were very eager to talk in length about RTAO problems (that nobody could actually notice in any footage yet obviously), but the much cleaner image in motion is the most impressive... and they barely talked about it. Just there aren't any more CBR artefacts.

Last edited:

scydrex

PSSR seems little disappointing with IQ stability issues. Also GT7 cube maps reflection is pretty good, the RT mode is underwhelming. Hopefully the quality mode will be better.
It haven't even released. Give it time... When the DLSS launched in 2018 was it excellent or perfect? Or was it at the state or as good as it's now? Go all the way back to 2018 look into dlss and then come back and talk about PSSR then. It's a lot better than the FSR garbage. The FSR release in 2021 and still it sucks!

Last edited:
I already said this in the other preview thread.

but if Horizon uses a new temporal reconstruction method and not PSSR, it begs the question if they will also add it to the base PS5 version, because it should be doable...
possibly, but why put work into something that is already milked? Temporal reconstruction might have been for some reason the more natural or just easier approach for that game, with settings optimised for Pro which might work on amateur too with some fiddling on the parameters, but that extra work that reduces a probably already hardly noticeable gap even more and just costs time for no direct benefit. Programmers might be happy to do it, but Sony has hardly a reason to pay that work.

Fahdis

The Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 is the most used GPU on Steam. According to the survey, it is used by 6.10% of all users. The second spot goes to GTX 1650, and the third spot goes to GTX 1060.
Sad Oh No GIF by BrownSugarApp
Pc Gaming GIF by CORSAIR

I was talking about AI Upscaling in general 😂 hahahaa you mad.

RobRSG

I don't agree.

PS4 Pro gave us 4K from 1080p. Horizon Zero Dawn and Gran Turismo Sport were completely different games, especially with the texture upgrades.

It was a measly $100 upgrade. I remember at the time, you could trade in your PS4 and pay $150 put of pocket for the Pro during a GameStop promo.

The PS5 Pro is $320 CAD more than the PS5, plus another $40 for a stand, and $100 for a disc drive (both of which were included with my PS5). With tax, that is $520 more for a Pro over the regular model.

It's over $1200 CAD for the Pro with optical and a stand. It's lunacy.
Seconded.

There's a new pro enhanced section on the ps5 and it looks like star wars outlaws and calisto protocol are on the list so far in total it's 36 games

We need more. ..way more...still no mention of Cyberpunk, Black Myth, Red Dead 2 that we still cant play at 60 fps on console, Space Marine 2, Dying Light 2, Control, FF16, Rise of the Ronin etc and many Sony first parties that were a bit disappointing graphically such as LoU part 1 remake, gow ragnarok, astrobot etc

Every ps4/ps5 exclusive should be patched for pro i mean it's a $700-$800 console make it worth it Sony!

We need more. ..way more...still no mention of Cyberpunk, Black Myth, Red Dead 2 that we still cant play at 60 fps on console, Space Marine 2, Dying Light 2, Control, FF16, Rise of the Ronin etc and many Sony first parties that were a bit disappointing graphically such as LoU part 1 remake, gow ragnarok, astrobot etc

Every ps4/ps5 exclusive should be patched for pro i mean it's a $700-$800 console make it worth it Sony!

Sony confirmed that there is a "system level" boost mode for PS5 and PS4 games

Games don't HAVE to be patched to run better

Unless they are locked to 30, they will all reach 60 fps just by brute force

In a recent interview with IGN, PlayStation Senior Principal Product Manager Toshi Aoki briefly clarified how the PS5 Pro's new boost mode will work. The boost mode will not require developers to release updated patches for their games; PS4 and PS5 titles will just play better on the PS5 Pro right out of the box.

"Even if the game does not support the [enhancements] directly, there is a game boost feature which makes the current PS5 games and PS4 games run at a higher clock rate. So if those games also have dynamic resolution or variable frame rates, those games also will get a boost and run better," Aoki said.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I always have the feeling that they make the “old” pictures worse on purpose to make the “new” pictures look better. If you give me a PS5 Pro image alone I will tell you that it is from a PS5 game…
But it would be from a PS5 game. It's still a PS5.

ALEX: "depending on what you want todo with ps5 pro"

But again what is he talking about?
if you do want to play 60fps games, don't buy a PS5 Pro

All games bar one are currently running at 60fps on Pro! Even DD2 can be considered a 60fps game now! the only one (fairly recent, not talking about 2 obscure games nobody bought) is Baldur's Gate 3 in one level.

He lives in his own fantasy, that's incredible to see. If you want to play at 60fps with decent IQ, well, technically the PS5 Pro will be the perfect and cheapest way for that. No hassle, you know all games (bar one) will run at 60fps with great AI upscaled IQ. How can he be so intellectually dishonest? or liar?

On the purple forum he is on his full on crusade against the Pro. DD2 55fps city scene is not heavy on CPU, PS5 Pro CPU can't afford better RT, claims about Jedi Survivor with RT and stable fps been "falsehoods". He is going to be in full spinning, cherry picking mode when he is going to test PS5 Pro games.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

All games bar one are currently running at 60fps on Pro! Even DD2 can be considered a 60fps game now! the only one (fairly recent, not talking about 2 obscure games nobody bought) is Baldur's Gate 3 in one level.

He lives in his own fantasy, that's incredible to see. If you want to play at 60fps with decent IQ, well, technically the PS5 Pro will be the perfect and cheapest way for that. No hassle, you know all games (bar one) will run at 60fps with great AI upscaled IQ. How can he be so intellectually dishonest? or liar?

On the purple forum he is on his full on crusade against the Pro. DD2 55fps city scene is not heavy on CPU, PS5 Pro CPU can't afford better RT, claims about Jedi Survivor with RT and stable fps been "falsehoods". He is going to be in full spinning, cherry picking mode when he is going to test PS5 Pro games.
>60fps is not what the PS5 Pro is supposed to do

Mark Cerny: The PS5 Pro is so you don’t have to choose between Quality and 60fps. You get both.

Awful take from Alex.

dmaul1114

If you're a mostly Playstation gamer, they're teaching you to skip launch and just get on the Pro track going forward. If you hung onto a PS4 Pro and never got a PS5, you really didn't miss much, and performance in games like Forbidden West and Ragnarok was still pretty good.
Yeah that was kind of my thought pattern while deciding to go ahead and upgrade.

Can have the option of just skipping PS6 launch as I’m sure things will be mostly cross gen for a while again and decided on PS6 Pro or going PC at that point. Or just sell it and get a PS6 sooner if it ends up being a bigger jump with more exclusives than we saw with PS5. Either way, it’s not a huge hit to my budget and I’d rather have the better version of my main platform the rest of this generation.

Kangx

There's a new pro enhanced section on the ps5 and it looks like star wars outlaws and calisto protocol are on the list so far in total it's 36 games
Star Wars outlaws. This game image quality is garbage on consoles with FSR2 even in fidelity mode and the frame rate is bad too.

Software raytrace GI has crippled the base consoles and many developers are heading into this direction with UE5 and the snowdrop engine.

Seriously. I think the pro can weather the storm in next 4 years with all these new demanding tech. For all these raytrace GI games from ubisoft and UE5, all pro need to do is render the internal res at 1080p and use PSSR to 4k. Sure the image can look soft compare to native 4k but this is a league and a gigantic step better than those FSR 720p garbage from the base consoles.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's still a thing here in the US. I just got over a not so fun bout with it. And people with conpromised immune system don't have the option to take it lightly.
Almost lost my 80 year old sweet neighbor over it

covid still a thing in japan? what year is this.gif
My very healthy and very unvaccinated 35 year old son got it this summer and spent two weeks in the hospital with a few days in the ICU and was the sickest he has ever been

ap_puff

My very healthy and very unvaccinated 35 year old son got it this summer and spent two weeks in the hospital with a few days in the ICU and was the sickest he has ever been
covid is definitely no joke, I personally know of at least 3 people who died from it

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Man, no mention of FFXVI or Returnal updates kinda pisses me off.

Lol, now this I gotta see. Been a long week and I need a good laugh.

HogIsland

Yeah that was kind of my thought pattern while deciding to go ahead and upgrade.

Can have the option of just skipping PS6 launch as I’m sure things will be mostly cross gen for a while again and decided on PS6 Pro or going PC at that point. Or just sell it and get a PS6 sooner if it ends up being a bigger jump with more exclusives than we saw with PS5. Either way, it’s not a huge hit to my budget and I’d rather have the better version of my main platform the rest of this generation.
Looks like others are smoking the same rocks as me mckmas8808 mckmas8808

recursive

Outside of the raytracing most of the improvements aren't gonna be noticed while gaming. No one zooms in on strands of hair or leaves. Also, in my opinion I prefer horizon on vanilla PS5 compared to the pro model for some reason. But on the pro the skin looks less "plastic/shiny" which is better
I will notice more consistent fps and higher resolution.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Thats terrible. Hope he's feeling better.

I got it for the first time in november last year immediately after a wedding, and it sucked. Just a few days after i got my booster shot too. so i went through the booster side effects then around a few days later, the full blown thing. it sucked but no hospitalization probably because i had taken the booster just a few days before.

seeing people still wearing masks is just not something im used to in the states. even the most ardent liberals i know stopped wearing them after 2022.

Kangx

Even The RE engine from capcom has implemented raytrace GI into dragon dogma2.

Suprised isnt? The base consoles take hit and can't even maintain 60fps in GPU bound scenario.

The image quality in this game is still bad with checkerboarding but no where near 700p to 800p FSR2 garbage on the base consoles in other games.

Also, AC Shadows and Monster Hunter coming up next. There are also big UE5 games coming like Silent Hill and Metal Gear which feature the infamous Lumen. All these games will have raytrace GI. Image quality and frame rate on the base console will tank. So yes, playing these games on the base consoles will be painful. The Pro is the only solution at the moment for console players.

Jedi Survivor is still bad on PC that's why he's in disbelief it can be a solid 60 with RT effects on Pro but yeah he's been acting weird about the Pro at the purple place. Honestly, this console could truly expose his bias if he can't hide it hopefully he's objective with his findings because he does great RT analysis.

Gaiff

Man, no mention of FFXVI or Returnal updates kinda pisses me off.
GOWR is also conspicuously missing. Wasn’t a fan of the game at all and didn’t finish it, but at the time, I was playing on the PS4 Pro, so it did not help.

Pro can probably do 1800p upscaled to 4K using PSSR and 60fps. The upgrade is only $10. Might as well finish it.

Alex doesn't get it, and neither do some of the PC owners here who say the same type of thing he just said. Console enthusiasts and especially console casuals, 90% of the time, just care about their consoles and they already are entrenched into that ecosystem. They understand your reasons why you don't like it, but they just don't care.

Constantly telling them to abandon everything and go to PC is like a door-to-door salesman handing out a pamphlet.

When Alex says this:

"If you own a PS5 and want more, you should buy a PC, because the PS5 Pro still has the same CPU"

He should instead simply say this:

"If you own a PS5 and want more, you should just wait on the Playstation 6, because the PS5 Pro still has the same CPU"

And they will instantly understand your perspective.

Last edited:

sachos

Pro can probably do 1800p upscaled to 4K using PSSR and 60fps.
Based on PC performance it coul do Ultra 4K PSSR Performance at 60. PSSR Quality they could drop some settings to High/Mid to achieve it.

Gaiff

Based on PC performance it coul do Ultra 4K PSSR Performance at 60. PSSR Quality they could drop some settings to High/Mid to achieve it.
The regular PS5’s 40Hz mode gets around 35fps and is between 1800-2160p using settings comparable to Ultra. I think with a 45% boost to the GPU and using PSSR, it can get close to 60. Might have to do something like 1620p upscaled to 4K.

Dibils2k

I'll be honest i am very disappointed how unstable the image seems to be with PSSR, jaggies and oversharpening... looking at last of us part 2 sas disgusting

No game is currently running anything close to where we would see a PS5 Pro capping out at 30fps, fatty on digital foundry said games will still be CPU limited and a 10% boost won't be enough to get them to 60fps, well look at the recommended specs for Space Marines 2 - i7 12700, then compare an i7 12700 to a Ryzen 7 5800X oh wait, the 12700 is 10% better, Digital Foundry's arrogance infact PC Gamers arrogance is astounding.

I'm sat here on a £4500 Gaming PC, my GPU will be superseded at the enthusiast level by the RTX 5090 next year, despite that, I've never played a single game that's even got close to making the 4090 sweat when using DLSS, I'm always limited by my CPU, it will be 10 years before a CPU is out that doesn't bottleneck the 4090, probably 15 years before one doesn't bottleneck a 5090, despite that, I have no issue hitting 120+fps on anything i throw at it, PS5 Pro will be an absolute monster.

Gaiff

I'll be honest i am very disappointed how unstable the image seems to be with PSSR, jaggies and oversharpening... looking at last of us part 2 sas disgusting
DLSS and FSR also exhibit issues with TLOU. Not sure if it's the engine or the artwork, or the colors, or what have you, that don't play nice with upscalers.

Top Bottom