• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] PlayStation 5 Pro Hands-On: 11 Games Tested, PSSR and RT Upgrades Revealed, Developers Interviewed!

Fahdis

All the haters right now.
dead family guy GIF

Lol no, its still trash. But I'm glad console peasants finally get to experience cool things like these after many years.

kevboard

Wait, Horizon is *not* using PSSR ?

Odd, you'd think a flagship title would be one of the first one's to use their heavily advertised new tech.

Kinda like how ND never embraced checker-board rendering back on the PS4 Pro days either.

I assume they started worked on their own upsampling for their engine before the quality of PSSR was known. it's also in a wqy possibly something they can use in future base PS5 and PC ports

kevboard

PSSR seems little disappointing with IQ stability issues. Also GT7 cube maps reflection is pretty good, the RT mode is underwhelming. Hopefully the quality mode will be better.

GT7 also thankfully uses planar reflections on the track surface, so it already had really good reflections without RT

sachos

Finished watching. What the F1 team is doing is really damn impressive, there are titles with RT like RE4 and RE8 that should accomplish something similar given how good they run on a 7700XT at max settings + max RT.
Im really really interested in the Insomniac dev comment about how PSSR kept improving and fixing some of the temporal issues AND making it faster, really hope it can keep improving up until launch.
My biggest disappointing is that it looks like HFW and DeS are not using PSSR, thats weird.

I was hoping for more information about GT7, as that game represents half of my PS5 playtime over the past four years.

I really want to see zero pop-in and zero frame stutters from the Pro. I don't care much about RT reflections.
I think some preview said you can still use the normal 4K mode. I might have read/heard it wrong however but I swear I saw it somewhere.

kevboard

Yeah, too many ppl get caught up in %'s and finite numbers vs whats actually happening on screen. What your eyes see.

what I saw with my eyes on PS4 Pro was a convincingly native 1800p looking image in Deus Ex.
I saw a convincingly 4k looking image in Rocket League.
both with smoother performance as well.

so the subjective difference for the PS4 Pro, at least at first, was pretty damn dramatic.
1080p to 4k or near 4k subjective image quality. of course over time it seemed like Devs used CBR less and less as the Pro was the minority of users, so the base version got the majority of attention, and the pro version just got a quick and dirty resolution increase in many cases.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
PSSR looked interesting. Not near DLSS, clearly, but a good first effort.
To quote Richard, it's impressive Sony has got into the ballpark of or at least close to DLSS on their first go.
DLSS is still more mature in that respect
But improvements will come, but this is actually impressive.
And everyone was doubting Sony on image processing 😂

This is really doing nothing for me. Sony (and 3rd parties) have not produced enough current gen only titles to make this desirable. Maybe once we're into year 6 there will be a better balance of current gen to cross-gen output.

Last edited:

kevboard

To quote Richard, it's impressive Sony has got into the ballpark of or at least close to DLSS on their first go.

well so did Intel. XeSS is also very close, maybe even closer to DLSS' quality than PSSR.
it's always easier to be the one who follows vs the one who trailblazes.

in the end they all follow the same rough concept that DLSS 2.0 ushered in.
even FSR 2.0 and TSR basically do the exact same thing, just without the machine learning cleanup step that gets rid of all the ugliness.

shamoomoo

Honestly, PSSR is close enough to DLSS that choosing one over the other is purely for academic purposes. At normal viewing distances, you’ll be hard-pressed to spot the differences, unlike with FSR.
Maybe,but in the Digital Foundry video, there was obvious ghosting on particles.

Crayon

I don't agree.

PS4 Pro gave us 4K from 1080p. Horizon Zero Dawn and Gran Turismo Sport were completely different games, especially with the texture upgrades.

It was a measly $100 upgrade. I remember at the time, you could trade in your PS4 and pay $150 put of pocket for the Pro during a GameStop promo.

The PS5 Pro is $320 CAD more than the PS5, plus another $40 for a stand, and $100 for a disc drive (both of which were included with my PS5). With tax, that is $520 more for a Pro over the regular model.

$520

Well that's why I said price aside. I know that is something that has to be considered irl but it's the performance gap that I am talking about.

Framerates are doubling and raytracing is more viable. Back with the 4, native 1080 games looked good, and the pro got you more like 1440p upscaled. A few more frames to stay on the 30 cap for some games. I wasn't interested in the PS4 pro at all. This one has me thinking about it, even with the high price.

sncvsrtoip

I don't agree.

PS4 Pro gave us 4K from 1080p. Horizon Zero Dawn and Gran Turismo Sport were completely different games, especially with the texture upgrades.

It was a measly $100 upgrade. I remember at the time, you could trade in your PS4 and pay $150 put of pocket for the Pro during a GameStop promo.

The PS5 Pro is $320 CAD more than the PS5, plus another $40 for a stand, and $100 for a disc drive (both of which were included with my PS5). With tax, that is $520 more for a Pro over the regular model.

It's over $1200 CAD for the Pro with optical and a stand. It's lunacy.
True but back that time not so many people had 4k tv and on more popular 1080p difference were marginal. Today different story and most have 4k tv's and most plays performance mode that are becoming more often blurry mess

Bernardougf

I think they were saying that if you are happy with 30 FPS then the Pro may not be worth it for you, since its main benefit is enabling 60 FPS at close to quality mode fidelity.
Yes and its an absurd take imho ... you may be ok with 30 fps .. but given the possibility to double FR is much more appealing than to me for example that already play my games at 60 fps but with slightly worse graphics.... 30 to 60 fps is a massive change in every aspect of the game. Saying that its not worth upgrading something to gain 100% fps its like negating everything cards upgrades are all about.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They're imaging sensor kings that everyone from Apple to medical research, military and Hollywood production orders from. They were also the king of TV upscalers (where people nicknamed them God tier scalers) for almost a decade or more before other brands caught up and also, purchase from them their imaging tech for their own products. They were also using AI tech in their TV imaging processors for a few years now.

People always seem to forget they're a hardware company that excels and pioneers in a lot of those AI/robotics/imaging fields.

They just don't PR it like US big tech does every other week or month.

Being shocked is just a lack of research on the subject matter.

They're imaging sensor kings that everyone from Apple to medical research, military and Hollywood production orders from. They were also the king of TV upscalers (where people nicknamed them God tier scalers) for almost a decade or more before other brands caught up and also, purchase from them their imaging tech for their own products. They were also using AI tech in their TV imaging processors for a few years now.

People always seem to forget they're a hardware company that excels and pioneers in a lot of those AI/robotics/imaging fields.

They just don't PR it like US big tech does every other week or month.

Being shocked is just a lack of research on the subject matter.
Yep, the 'reality creation' image processing on my A95L is definitely 'God Tier'. Truly the best I've seen on a TV.

I don't agree.

It wasn't 4k, it was checkerboard 4k which is an inferior reconstruction technique to PSSR.
Times have changed buddy. In 2016 when the Pro released, the 1080ti the most powerful consumer gpu released at $699usd and dropped in price 2 years later. The RTX 4090 released with a msrp of $1600 and has increased in price over the last 2 years. That should tell you that tech is in a completely different galaxy than a decade ago.
I don't know why you're including the cost of a vertical stand in the price as both models do not come with a stand, only horizontal feet. I take it that you haven't purchased one of the new revisions? The lack of an optical drive is quite annoying at the price point but I purchased one ahead of time.
It's over $1200 CAD for the Pro with optical and a stand. It's lunacy.
You can thank our shitty dollar for that but the awesome part is that you don't have to buy it. Personally, I'm getting 2 to replace my 2 ps5s. I figure I can sell both my ps5s for $450 a piece on Facebook marketplace. So I should pay about $1000ish out of pocket. For me, I break down things in cost per use. If I believe the ps6 is 3-4 years away, the cost per use of the Pro is the cheapest form of entertainment I can purchase. I was always going to buy it regardless of proce barring something outlandish. I don't think $959 is outlandish for what it's offering. A 4070 in Canada starts at $759 cad. Paying an extra $200 for a cpu, ram, mobo, psu, storage, controller, cables and case is pretty cheap. I just think people don't know how expensive tech is...

Last edited:

FireFly

Yes and its an absurd take imho ... you may be ok with 30 fps .. but given the possibility to double FR is much more appealing than to me for example that already play my games at 60 fps but with slightly worse graphics.... 30 to 60 fps is a massive change in every aspect of the game. Saying that its not worth upgrading something to gain 100% fps its like negating everything cards upgrades are all about.
I listened again and Oliver didn't say it was not worth upgrading for a given class of users. He said the upgrade to the 30 FPS modes wasn't as apparent, with the main benefit being the improved image quality in the 60 FPS modes. That's close to a statement of fact, not accounting for changes in future titles.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

PSSR does not have ghosting issue on particles according to DF. Only image stability issue. In fact, the recent medias showing demonstrated the opposite of this with ratchet and clank.
Yes,it does. From 14:22 - 14:29, you can clearly see the butterflies/ particles trailing like in earlier versions of DLSS. I don't have the best eyes but watching the footage on a fairly big TV, you can see the ghost effect on the bugs clear as day.

Last edited:

Loope

The Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 is the most used GPU on Steam. According to the survey, it is used by 6.10% of all users. The second spot goes to GTX 1650, and the third spot goes to GTX 1060.
Pc Gaming GIF by CORSAIR
The fact is that you have the option to go for better, that's it. I remember (because it wasn't that long ago) of most sony fanboys always bring the :" meh, you're going to spend 600€ to buy a GPU to improve your gaming performance, so that doesn't count".

All of a sudden it's fine to splash 700€ for some differences on graphics/performances. Weird how things change, they're looking more and more like pc gamers.

I have a 3060 btw and it's plenty enough for me, but if i want for the price of that pro i can hike it up to a 4070 Ti. I don't want to, but the choice is always there.

Last edited:

Vroadstar

The fact is that you have the option to go for better, that's it. I remember (because it wasn't that long ago) of most sony fanboys always bring the :" meh, you're going to spend 600€ to buy a GPU to improve your gaming performance, so that doesn't count".

All of a sudden it's fine to splash 700€ for some differences on graphics/performances. Weird how things change, they're looking more and more like pc gamers.

I have a 3060 btw and it's plenty enough for me, but if i want for the price of that pro i can hike it up to a 4070 Ti. I don't want to, but the choice is always there.

It doesn’t change his point. While some PCMRs flaunt their RTX 4090s to enjoy the latest graphical features, the reality is that many more PC users are still using GTX 1650s and 1060s. The same goes for consoles; you have the option to stick with a PS5 or upgrade to a PS5 Pro. However, pretending that most PCMRs are experiencing all the ‘cool’ graphical features is misleading and pathetic flex.

yamaci17

you can be sure that nvidia has been holding back dlss for a long time. they don't even try to implement a proper sharpening pass for it (they tried a weird sharpening pass, people did not like it, removed it, and never pondered with sharpening ever again). it is literally why some uninformed people may find fsr better than dlss (due to fsr having robust sharpening). but dlss is so good that the differences between it and other upscalers cannot be affected by sharpening. regardless, it does not mean dlss won't benefit from a high quality sharpening pass like fidelity fx cas (which some informed people use as a combo with reshade and works wonderfully). however nvidia refuses to do it themselves, why, we will never know. if I have to guess, they just don't care and will only care if there's a competition that rivals dlss which does not exist on PC space, yet (aside from xess that is decent but the high quality xess being exclusive to intel gpus which are niche, i dont think nvidia sees them as meaningful competition)

Bernardougf

I listened again and Oliver didn't say it was not worth upgrading for a given class of users. He said the upgrade to the 30 FPS modes wasn't as apparent, with the main benefit being the improved image quality in the 60 FPS modes. That's close to a statement of fact, not accounting for changes in future titles.
This I can agree... but than again people that still hold to the 30 fps modes are the minority, and probably they value graphics fidelity and effects and ray tracing above all things ... the pro for sure will open the door to greater fidelity and specially RT at 30 fps modes specially in Sony titles, so it seems that this group will also be a good target for the Pro as they will want that ultimate fidelity mode. Not avaible at the standard ps5.

Top Bottom