• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Silent Hill 2 Remake - PS5 Tech Review - An Authentic UE5 Recreation... But What About Performance?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Developer Bloober Team's remake of Silent Hill 2 is a surprise success in its telling of a Konami's original story, backed by an authentic visual recreation in Unreal Engine 5 - with Lumen reflections and GI. Comparisons to the PS2 original are fascinating to observe, where the studio has the bravery to deviate from the script where need be. There are rough points here too though, notably in performance - and sadly neither PS5's performance or quality modes always hold a stable line at their target 60 or 30fps.

Many thanks to Marc 'Try4ce' Duddleson for the pristine PS2 capture, taken using the RetroTink 4K.

00:00 Introduction
02:45 Original versus remake comparison
09:55 PS5 Mode Comparison/Lumen Differences
13:58 PS5 30FPS Quality Mode Frame-Rate Test
15:54 PS5 60FPS Performance Mode Frame-Rate Test
17:29 Verdict

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
He's busy writing his Sony hit-piece for the game not being on XBox right now...
Come On Please GIF by NBA

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
- This video is specific to PS5 version, a PC video featuring Alex is coming soon
- Unreal Engine 5
- Remixed OST by Akira Yamaoka
- Some world events are also mixed up to keep old fans on their toes
- 30fps Quality and 60fps Performance modes

- 23 year gap between SH2 and remake, and results are as transformative as you'd expect
- Facial animations, lighting, cloths, details etc all incredibly enhanced over PS2's CGI scenes
- Some deliberate changes made to aesthetics
- Full performance capture for all real time scenes used now
- Seamless traversal, no loading screens
- Gritty grimy aesthetic of the original lessened by comparison

- Both Quality and Performance use Lumen technology
- The main difference is the quality pre-set for Lumen tech
- Both use Lumen reflections with SSR as fall back
- Shadow resolution, texture quality is the same between both

Quality:
- DRS 1220p to 1512p
- Motion banding and artifacts notable but less so than Performance

Performance:
- DRS 864p to 1152p
- More notable visual artifacts
- Performance drops SDF lighting in Lumen and lesser shading
- Lumen reflection sees a notable fallback and reflections look temporally unstable

- Camera logic struggles during combat indoors with tight thin corridors
- Other visual bugs like white halos and color banding on frosted windows

Performance:

- Quality mode runs at 30fps with V-Sync, has one-off drops and abrupt GPU loads triggering DRS can cause drops to mid 20s
- Not a 100% locked way to play the game, but this is how DF played most of it

- Performance mode: 60fps is a stretch for PS5, initial woodland route drops to mid 40s and one tested area even drops to high 30s.
- After the initial area, the indoor apartment areas and empty town streets can reach 60 for stretches

Last edited:

kevboard

It's always mind-boggling when developers make a game that has 99% static lighting conditions, and then throw expensive raytraced GI into it for absolutely zero reason.
Jedi Survivor did the same shit.

all you get by using Lumen GI in a game like SH2 is constant shimmering and bad performance.

BAKE YOUR FUCKING GI ASSHOOOOOLE!!!
JsOGKn.gif

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
Graphically speaking Quality Mode really does look remarkable. And Performance Mode, while actually in the city, seems to deliver a 60fps experience when not fighting multiple enemies.

Not really sure what a Pro mode could deliver, but I hope for the best as that's where I'm going to play it.
Better IQ in the 60fps mode and a more consistent framerate

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Graphically speaking Quality Mode really does look remarkable. And Performance Mode, while actually in the city, seems to deliver a 60fps experience when not fighting multiple enemies.

Not really sure what a Pro mode could deliver, but I hope for the best as that's where I'm going to play it.
Performance:
- DRS 864p to 1152p
- More notable visual artifacts
- Performance drops SDF lighting in Lumen and lesser shading
- Lumen reflection sees a notable fallback and reflections look temporally unstable

1080p-1440p DRS perhaps and a locked 60? Less visual artifacts and more temporally stable reflections. UE5 games seem to be prime candidates for Pro enhancements. Powerful PCs are good enough to give good IQ and settings, but they cannot avoid stutters. Consoles don't stutter, but their IQ is often horrendous in Performance Mode. Pro seems to be a nice middle ground.

Last edited:
Was obvious it'd run like shit, good that they did a good job remaking SH, but it's still Bloober team, The Medium was a total technical disaster, 30 FPS only with frame drops like here on XSX, and it struggled even with the best graphic cards too.

Honestly the reflections in the ground and the flickering in the fences etc are just so bad on the performance mode that even tho im a FPS whore, at least for this game, i'd go for the 30 FPS mode.

Artistically it's beautiful i must say, just like the original was ofc.

Vick

Gold Member
Better IQ in the 60fps mode and a more consistent framerate
Eh.. would be the laziest possible scenario.

1080p-1440p DRS perhaps and a locked 60? Less visual artifacts and more temporally stable reflections. UE5 games seem to be prime candidates for Pro enhancements. Powerful PCs are good enough to give good IQ and settings, but they cannot avoid stutters. Consoles don't stutter, but their IQ is often horrendous in Performance Mode. Pro seems to be a nice middle ground.
That would be nice. Bringing every feature of Quality into the Performance one, and then going the extra mile with HW RT ala Dead Rising:

wABioYR.gif

Even if it doesn't translate into a 100% lock, would be commendable. Sounds like a really good timing to make Pro shine imo, even though I'm not that confident in Bloober and especially even sure Pro could handle it all.

Last edited:

Killer8

Absolutely fantastic stuff, Bloober knocked it out the park.

Shader comp stutter on PC ✅
Traversal stutter on PC ✅

Every day I am glad that I moved back to consoles to escape this shit. Nothing takes you out the experience more. I'd happily take any console cutbacks to eliminate it.

I think Pro could deliver a locked 60 in the performance mode and tidy up the last small dips below 30 in quality mode. Perhaps it would even give them enough headroom to do a 40fps mode.

PSSR could clean up finer elements like hair strands which have that low resolution funk which reconstruction always gives.

Alex Battlestar Galactica has pointed out the PC has much higher resolution ray-tracing so perhaps the Pro's hardware acceleration could also improve that.

Top Bottom