• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Silent Hill 2 Remake - PS5 Tech Review - An Authentic UE5 Recreation... But What About Performance?

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Graphically speaking Quality Mode really does look remarkable. And Performance Mode, while actually in the city, seems to deliver a 60fps experience when not fighting multiple enemies.

Not really sure what a Pro mode could deliver, but I hope for the best as that's where I'm going to play it.
Quality mode IQ with solid consistent 60fps.

Like lord Cerny said.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
It's a remaster not a remake

push and believe stand up GIF

Mr Moose

It's pretty stable. there are very rare drops. he had to trigger the drs by looking up at the sky or turning around really fast to get frames to drop.

99% of the time, your framerate will be fine.

these guys need to do some actual framerate benchmarks instead of finding worst case scenarios which convince people that games perform poorly.

He wants them to drop the dynamic resolution base lower than 1296p just to account for his idiotictesting steps. no thank you. let people play this game the way it was intended instead of turning the camera around like an ADHD freak. this way everyone gets the same high resolutions.
I miss V VG Tech vids. No bullshit, pixel counts + framerate in normal play and taxing areas.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's pretty stable. there are very rare drops. he had to trigger the drs by looking up at the sky or turning around really fast to get frames to drop.

Not entirely true, the sky->ground is a surefire way to trigger drops, but there's drops in the video when he's simply panning the camera left to right while running.

Not the biggest drops by a long mile, but the performance is far from locked even when not deliberately looking for ways to drop it.

KywUdI3.png

OEBMfuq.png

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

What are you talking about lol

The game looks phenomenal. It runs at 30 fps with only minor drops on rare occasions when tom was fucking around with the camera trying to get it to break.

it runs at a relatively high resolution of 1512p most of the time reconstructed to 4k. it will look great on your 4k tv.

the only issue is with the performance mode which has nothing to do with tim sweeney and everything to do with Sony cheapening out and trying to get a $399 console out in 2020. they dont have the gpu grunt to get the games running at 60 fps at higher resolutions. get a decent pc or the ps5 pro and you will see this game and every other UE5 game running at higher resolutions and way better IQ.

I feel like gaf has lost its mind recently. the game looks amazing. one of the best looking games of the year. made by a D tier studio and clearly UE5 allowed them to achieve an insane level of fidelity only a few A tier devs could previously achieve. some of them still havent.

We get threads about how no one is pushing graphics. we now finally get UE5 graphics they promised 4 years ago and we still complain over 30 fps.
Understand your point of view (have similar) but majority of players prefers 60fps over fidelity mode and ue5 60fps modes looks like shit on consoles

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not entirely true, the sky->ground is a surefire way to trigger drops, but there's drops in the video when he's simply panning the camera left to right while running.

Not the biggest drops by a long mile, but the performance is far from locked even when not deliberately looking for ways to drop it.

KywUdI3.png

OEBMfuq.png
he was trying to break it in that section too.

regardless, even if some areas fall below 30 fps when frantically moving the camera around, they need to show the average framerate. thats how all benchmarks are done.

DF just focuses on these worst case scenarios. they did it earlier in the gen when doing face/offs and now this. whats the average playthrough like? thats what matters. is the game locked 99% of the time? seems like it so whats the big deal? why go out of your way to break the game?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
What are you talking about lol

The game looks phenomenal. It runs at 30 fps with only minor drops on rare occasions when tom was fucking around with the camera trying to get it to break.

it runs at a relatively high resolution of 1512p most of the time reconstructed to 4k. it will look great on your 4k tv.

the only issue is with the performance mode which has nothing to do with tim sweeney and everything to do with Sony cheapening out and trying to get a $399 console out in 2020. they dont have the gpu grunt to get the games running at 60 fps at higher resolutions. get a decent pc or the ps5 pro and you will see this game and every other UE5 game running at higher resolutions and way better IQ.

I feel like gaf has lost its mind recently. the game looks amazing. one of the best looking games of the year. made by a D tier studio and clearly UE5 allowed them to achieve an insane level of fidelity only a few A tier devs could previously achieve. some of them still havent.

We get threads about how no one is pushing graphics. we now finally get UE5 graphics they promised 4 years ago and we still complain over 30 fps.

Yeah it looks good, but just because it's UE5 and next gen exclusive, you're drooling all over it. Meanwhile, plenty of "cross gen" games you criticize actually look better.

This is a remake of a 23 year old game, so it's not really pushing the boundaries of scope/scale or interaction or anything like that, which is fine. But your position is inconsistent. This game could have been cross-gen and released on PS4

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
So can someone tell me why the fuck anyone would chose performance mode then?

so it looks significantly uglier and it’s not even 60fps.

lol.

Performance whores please go away

30fps games look like shit when manually controlling the camera and smearing the image with motion blur(petroleum jelly) is pure unadulterated cope.

Last edited:

Bojji

Yeah it looks good, but just because it's UE5 and next gen exclusive, you're drooling all over it. Meanwhile, plenty of "cross gen" games you criticize actually look better.

This is a remake of a 23 year old game, so it's not really pushing the boundaries of scope/scale or interaction or anything like that, which is fine. But your position is inconsistent. This game could have been cross-gen and released on PS4

What? This is not true at all. For example Horizon has a lot of high quality details but lighting just breaks and looks incorrect in many places.

Lumen or RTGI (or even SVOGI) is what makes "next gen" game... next gen. After playing plenty of games with lumen and RTGI it's hard to be impressed by games that use last gen technology.

Mr Moose

lol.

60fps normally feels better. But if you're losing too much, then I don't think it's worth it. Played FF16 in quality mode because the other was just not good and still had a great time with it.
Played Prey on PS4 (Pro probably) and it felt like shit to play. Played it on PC at 120fps and it felt much better, still kinda boring though.

bender

What time is it?

lol.

It's still nice to have these modes even if they struggle to hit 60FPS targets on current hardware as that might not be the case with Pro/Next Generation hardware. I kind of wish Sony would mandate these types of performance profiles as we could see future gains without developers having to patch their games.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
What? This is not true at all. For example Horizon has a lot of high quality details but lighting just breaks and looks incorrect in many places.

Lumen or RTGI (or even SVOGI) is what makes "next gen" game... next gen. After playing plenty of games with lumen and RTGI it's hard to be impressed by games that use last gen technology.

Nope that’s not true at all. HFW is far more technically ambitious despite being cross gen. Engine buzzwords don’t make a game next gen

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Graphically speaking Quality Mode really does look remarkable. And Performance Mode, while actually in the city, seems to deliver a 60fps experience when not fighting multiple enemies.

Not really sure what a Pro mode could deliver, but I hope for the best as that's where I'm going to play it.

- PC-like raytracing and improved visuals at 30fps
- A steady 60fps with raytracing that looks like PS5 quality mode

That's my guess.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Not sure what you mean by "buzzwords" when we see the results of Nanite and Lumen. HFW’s lighting is most definitely last-gen, and probably its weakest technical aspect.

Buzzwords? Lumen simulates how light behaves in real life:

Horizon uses baked lighting for multiple time zones but still a lot of things have incorrect lighting.

Without good lighting you end up with shit like this:

tZyXupt.jpeg
6xpJo4V.png

My point is that just saying a game has nanite or lumen doesn’t by itself mean the game is more impressive visually overall than another game that does not feature these. There’s pros/cons to each game and the overall aesthetic needs to be evaluated accordingly, not just the discrete features of its engine

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
My point is that just saying a game has nanite or lumen doesn’t by itself mean the game is more impressive visually overall than another game that does not feature these. There’s pros/cons to each game and the overall aesthetic needs to be evaluated accordingly, not just the discrete features of its engine
I get it, but dismissing it as a buzzword implies you don't think it's doing anything when we see its merits. Is it too demanding for what it does? Perhaps, but it still looks very nice.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I get it, but dismissing it as a buzzword implies you don't think it's doing anything when we see its merits. Is it too demanding for what it does? Perhaps, but it still looks very nice.

True, didn’t mean to dismiss it, but it does depend on the extent to which they are used.

I need to see SH2 in person, but high quality footage doesn’t display a high degree of detail we’ve associated with other examples of UE5, for instance.

Perhaps the aesthetic it’s going for, but the interior details for instance don’t look anymore detailed (maybe even less) than something like TLOU2

SlimySnake

Horizon is an amazing looking game. best looking game of 2022. But its since been topped precisely because of next gen tech like lumen and nanite. it does everything else right. has best in class character models, beautiful cinematography, great foliage, but awful textures, poor interior lighting, poor draw distance, all of which couldve been solved with rt and nanite equivalent tech.

is SH2 better looking than horizon? i dont know. horizon is far more ambitious in terms of scope, but SH2 is technically better and is doing things better than horizon did.

A better comparison would be something linear like THe last of us part 1 which is similar in scope but looks last gen in comparison to SH2 precisely because its not using tech like lumen and nanite.

Q321n23.gif

2Sq89bE.gif

Gaiff

Horizon is an amazing looking game. best looking game of 2022. But its since been topped precisely because of next gen tech like lumen and nanite. it does everything else right. has best in class character models, beautiful cinematography, great foliage, but awful textures, poor interior lighting, poor draw distance, all of which couldve been solved with rt and nanite equivalent tech.
Huh, am I tripping or the texture work was lauded as being some of the best?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
A better comparison would be something linear like THe last of us part 1 which is similar in scope but looks last gen in comparison to SH2 precisely because its not using tech like lumen and nanite

TLOU2 has more detail than SH2 imo, better outdoor environments, character models, etc

SH2 has better lighting, but TLOU2 does a great job with the tricks they deploy

Last edited:

Kangx

TLOU2 has more detail than SH2 imo, better outdoor environments, character models, etc

Tlou2 does a lot thing better. Like environment interaction. Foliage react to you and a lot more. As a game TLOU2 does a lot more. SH2 on pc do look better than Tlou2 but kinda static.

Modern games too static. All the budget going into graphic and nothing else. I seen outlaw comepare to last gen game on youtube, and I was so disappointed.

Gaiff

in some spots like some towns that got extra work, they look great. especially plainsong. but then you have this.
Top pic, is that the PS5 version? The bad ground textures at an angle could be due to AF.

Bottom pic seems...fine?

It's a huge open world, so it's bound to have some wonky textures here and there due to its sheer size, but by and large, I think the texture work is very good. Besides RDR2, I can't think of another open world that has as many instances of high-quality texturing.

SlimySnake

Tlou2 does a lot thing better. Like environment interaction. Foliage react to you and a lot more. As a game TLOU2 does a lot more. SH2 on pc do look better than Tlou2 but kinda static.

Modern games too static. All the budget going into graphic and nothing else. I seen outlaw comepare to last gen game on youtube, and I was so disappointed.
i dont know how you can call SH2 so static when it literally has volumetric foliage better than anything else out there. only returnal and callisto's volumetric fog comes close but this game is built entirely around it and uses it far more than either of those games.

Star Wars Outlaws has fantastic wind physics that affect foliage and objects in the environment. there is nothing static about these two games. especially when both games use dynamic gi and reflections which are literally designed to react to things happening in the levels.

I wish there was more destruction in games, but lets not bring up the two games that actually do some things that make them look less static.

r6hoOj6.gif

4oN7sLv.gif

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Whenever I see this comment, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Oh yes, this comment still come up more often.

so are you guys ready for more UE5 games? Have not seen performance mode on Metal Gear remake yet, but I reckon it will fall into the same category as Silent Hill but be more blurry. What about phantom blade Zero? The good new is it seem to be a solid 60fps. The bad new is it look extremely blurry and grainy.
They should reword it to "shouldn't have"
These current gen consoles have been fine running last gen games on last gen engines.
Finally get a current gen games running on a current gen engine and "oh shit, we need more power!"
Joke on us I guess.

SlimySnake

outdoor detail is hard to parse when the game's outdoor areas are literally covered in fog. the assets are undoubtedly better, indoor or outdoors. its nanite vs ps4 era textures. tlou2 was probably the best looking game of the ps4 era but now the tech has left them behind. thats why those tlou part 1 gifs i posted look so dated. poor textures, poor materials, poor indoor lighting, mediocre outdoor lighting.

TLOU2's strengths are rendering foliage and outdoor areas where it looked amazing. but that came at a cost, mostly to its interiors which didnt get proper lighting passes. something silent hill 2 doesnt have to worry about because of its lighting solutions. it also has way higher quality materials which reflect light much better than TLOU2's materials which kind of failed.

Yes, TLou2 has better cinematics, industry leading facial animations, and fantastic character models, but during gameplay, a lot of times it falls apart especially considering how half of the game is set indoors. beautiful looking game outdoors though. especially in the 4k remaster which allowed the 4k textures to shine.

that said, all these shots below are taken from fidelity mode and you can see some sacrifices were made. What sucks is that the same level in the outdoor areas look phenomenal. Clearly, their tech wasnt strong enough to push the same fidelity in both outdoor and indoor areas of the same level and while it was ok for a PS4 game, this same tech was used in the PS5 only TLOU remake and just doesnt hold up well this gen.

HG7K8IV.jpeg

u2x1xBL.jpeg

SlimySnake

They should reword it to "shouldn't have"
These current gen consoles have been fine running last gen games on last gen engines.
Finally get a current gen games running on a current gen engine and "oh shit, we need more power!"
Joke on us I guess.
Well, what did you expect? the very first UE5 demo everyone lost their shit over was 1440p 30 fps according to Epic who were very open about the performance of UE5. What changed? cross gen games? i thought we hated those.

Is this what we want to tell publishers? Keep making cross gen trash? we spent $500 on a new console 7 years after the ps4 launch just so we can play ps4 games at 1440p 60 fps?

it sucks that it took almost 4 years to get us those UE5 visuals but of course its come at a cost. tlou1 ran at 60 fps on ps4 as well. so did gow3 remastered. no one cared when uncharted 4 and gow 2018 came out at 30 fps. so why are we so upset over this?

its not like people dont have options. every game sony makes is on pc. SH2 is on pc on day 1. Pro is literally a month away. you can play this at 60 fps and decent image quality if you want. all you gotta do is pay up. you get what you pay for and expecting $399 2020 consoles to do 60 fps at 1440p while offering next gen visuals is just too much.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I do not think this is true at all. The only visible area TloU 2 excels at is cut-scene direction and animation, from what we've seen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom