• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

Hex

Banned
I was pricing this stuff out all night, too rich for my blood.

Find someone who wants to play on pc, split the cost.
You get the physical, they buy the codes for the PC versions.
You really do not need alot of figures, just your favorites and when you can buy 2 and get 3 free and get 2 new for 20 and this is at launch not even including other sales which are common the price of entry is really not bad considering how much content you can get out of it.
Alot of people bought the PS4 Star Wars set and are selling Boba Fett to recoup a good bit of the cost considering it will not be available any other way until January at the soonest.

Ecto311

Seen that target is doing 30% off with cartwheel and was thinking about getting Sabine. Is there any benefit to having her aside from the character model? My daughter might like her but she already has all the inside out characters.

curb

Banned
Seen that target is doing 30% off with cartwheel and was thinking about getting Sabine. Is there any benefit to having her aside from the character model? My daughter might like her but she already has all the inside out characters.

It's really just about buying another playable character. There is also an experience bonus for every character you've put on your base but it's small.

Cartwheel screws up the star wars coupons. The 10 for $100 + 25 off 100 was best last week if you want to collect everything :(

Haint

What is the ps4 and xbone performance comparison? Is xbone 900p and/or shity frame rate? PS4 AF issues?

So I've just got this from my wife got the Star Wars starter pack with yoda and the two tron characters. What do I need to do to play more playsets. What about the 2.0 and 1.0 playsets? Do I need the actual 2.0 disk to play the marvel playsets :(

So I've just got this from my wife got the Star Wars starter pack with yoda and the two tron characters. What do I need to do to play more playsets. What about the 2.0 and 1.0 playsets? Do I need the actual 2.0 disk to play the marvel playsets :(

Yes, you need 2.0 disc to play 2.0 playsets, and 1.0 disc to play 1.0 playsets. Unfortunatly playets do not carry to newer versions.

In 3.0 there is also a Inside Out playset out now, and an original SW trilogy soon (now with sony bundle). Plus Force Awakes at The end of The year and another Marvel in 2016.

ta155

You do, yeah.... but you're not missing out on much if you skip them, Avengers and Spider-Man in particular are extremely bland and repetitive.

There are some good playsets for 1.0, though.

RK128

1.0 and 2.0 Playsets: 1.0 and 2.0 ones do not work with 3.0. But, if you place them on the Infinity base when 3.0 is booted up, you unlock parts/items/tool box/ect from that respective playset. Normally, you unlocked all of those, so if you own past playsets, you save a lot of time :D.

Infinity 1.0 Playsets: They are largely solid experience that are varied per playset; Lone Ranger and Pirates are very in-depth with lots to see and do, Increadibles is the blandest but still enjoyable, Monsters University is well done and charming, Toy Story is a fun space adventure, and Cars is a fun open-world racer. They lack polish in some cases but they each offer different things at least.

Infinity 2.0 Playsets: They are bland and forgettable experiences. They are licence game quality adventures with more polish then you would expect; they look nice and the Marvel characters have a lot of moves to play with. But the worlds themselves are bland and disappointing. Guardians of the Galaxy one is the only solid one of the bunch.

Infinity 3.0 Playsets: Inside Out is a solid 3D/2.5D Co-op platformer; very colorful, solid soundtrack, lots of polish and is a nice experience. Twilight and Rise Against the Empire are both great Star Wars games with solid Lightsaber combat, pod racing, and expansive hubs to explore. Toy Box Takeover is a Skylanders-style experience that looks to be a fun beat-em up.

Inside Out only supports the five inside out characters (Joy, Anger, Fear, Disgust, Sadness), Star Wars Twilight, Rise Against the Empire and Episode VII support EVERY Star Wars Figure (though to use some of them, you have to find 1 Character Coin). Marvel Battlegrounds supports every Marvel Figure with no character coin collecting. Toy Box Takeover supports every Infinity Figure but the Cars ones. Toy Box Speedway supports every single figure.

To Play Playsets: You buy them in packs that cost 20-40 dollars. Just about all of them have two figures included with the playset piece. The included characters work in that given playset and there are others you can buy that you can play in the playset. 3.0 Playsets support more characters then prior games; Star Wars Playsets work with everyone, Inside Out has 5 playable characters, Marvel Battlegrounds supports every single Marvel Figure and the Toy Box Expansions support everyone (though Takeover doesn't support the Cars figures).

rcl66

Went into the theater in the toy box hub and downloaded a few levels, and when I came out the Toy Box hub progress had reset itself back to the beginning. Everything is white and as if I never did it. Anyone else have this happen? Seems like other progress and feats didn't reset but still. This is on PS4.

Hex

Banned
Went into the theater in the toy box hub and downloaded a few levels, and when I came out the Toy Box hub progress had reset itself back to the beginning. Everything is white and as if I never did it. Anyone else have this happen? Seems like other progress and feats didn't reset but still. This is on PS4.

Yeah, under the same circumstances. I just hit options and quit and then started back up and everything was back where it should be.

Edit:
Also if people find good levels, list them for others.
Olaf's whatever that they keep showing oddly enough has to be played with Olaf so that was out of the question.
I did the 60th Anniversary thing, but it was honestly just a model of the park kind of with an auto race.

Yeah, under the same circumstances. I just hit options and quit and then started back up and everything was back where it should be.

Edit:
Also if people find good levels, list them for others.
Olaf's whatever that they keep showing oddly enough has to be played with Olaf so that was out of the question.
I did the 60th Anniversary thing, but it was honestly just a model of the park kind of with an auto race.

If I make a level can gaf'ers download it and play it, like lbp

Purdy

Could someone explain how the figures work exactly?

Is it all stores on the figure? If I use it on a different profile on my ps4 can that profile level it up from scratch or will it be the level I left it on?

Also I'm brand new to this but I did all the hub world opening stuff and in the adventure one I got buzz lightyear wings to boost around with on Luke, but when I put buba fett on I don't have them :(

RK128

Could someone explain how the figures work exactly?

Is it all stores on the figure? If I use it on a different profile on my ps4 can that profile level it up from scratch or will it be the level I left it on?

Also I'm brand new to this but I did all the hub world opening stuff and in the adventure one I got buzz lightyear wings to boost around with on Luke, but when I put buba fett on I don't have them :(

-Each character level is save on memory inside the figure
-Each character has different upgrade trees that you can upgrade at your own pace
-The more figures you collect, the higher you EXP will be as you collect EXP orbs (1.0 having the smallest multiplier, with 3.0 having the highest)
-Items unlock through completing missions, exploring the toy box, playing with the building tools and completing playsets
-Figures are cross-platform; can use your 3.0 Mickey on any version of 3.0 for example.

mreddie

-Each character has different upgrade trees that you can upgrade at your own pace
-The more figures you collect, the higher you EXP will be as you collect EXP orbs (1.0 having the smallest multiplier, with 3.0 having the highest)
-Items unlock through completing missions, exploring the toy box, playing with the building tools and completing playsets
-Figures are cross-platform; can use your 3.0 Mickey on any version of 3.0 for example.

1.0/2.0 Mickey with the Sorcerer stuff.

RK128

1.0/2.0 Mickey with the Sorcerer stuff.

That works with 3.0 (all versions) and his levels carry over to 3.0 :).

Edit: Note that the EXP Multiplier that Sorcerer Mickey has is based on the version you have (the 1.0 or 2.0 version). Not sure if there was a 1.0 version of the crystal version but that is the 2.0 version of the figure.

IzzyF3

I just came back from Best Buy and saw the new toys. They really made significant improvements to the quality to them compared to the 1st and 2nd games. I especially liked all of the Inside Out ones. Waiting for Black Friday for my annual toys-to-life game purchases though.

Muppet345

Just ordered a $3 base, $20 Wreck it Ralph set, and found Groot, Rocket Raccoon, & Star Lord for $6.50 each used (but in new condition). Also got the Wii U digital edition. Finally gonna play a Disney Infinity game before the Original Trilogy stuff drops.

I think the only figures I want are: Wreck-it Ralph, Guardians of the Galaxy, Original Trilogy, Force Awakens. If they come out with Gravity Falls, I want those too. I might also get Mulan and a few of the Avengers. I think that's all I want though, since I don't watch Rebels and, while I liked Inside Out, I'm not into those characters enough that I'd want little statues of them.

RobbieNick

Currently made my own farm based on Tatooine and adding extra challenges such as racing. I'm gonna try to adding flying through rings and whatnot. Can you do X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter dogfighting in the toy box?

Kyne

little off topic;

why would you put the Tron characters in if you scrapped the series?

ugh. salt in the wound.

little off topic;

why would you put the Tron characters in if you scrapped the series?

ugh. salt in the wound.

Because I'm sure when development began they were still trying to push the franchise, probably more expensive to replace them with alternative figures by the time it was cancelled. I'm still sad over it though :/

Because I'm sure when development began they were still trying to push the franchise, probably more expensive to replace them with alternative figures by the time it was cancelled. I'm still sad over it though :/
I'm not sure people expected figures. Sam and Quorra were available in 2.0 as digital only characters exclusive to iOS and PC. I was surprised they ended up as figures.

fernoca

From what I remember, Tron and Quorra were planned as both figures and DLC for 2.0. But after the disappointing sales of 2.0, they only released the digitally on the PC and mobile versions since those had a steady influx of (digital items) sales.

So, they just moved them to 3.0 as they already had the data ready and maybe even a few figures were done. Not much resources and budget were allocated on them as probably a good chunk of their allocation was spent during 2.0. Is probably why even though they're both obvious choices for the "lightup figures" coming this holiday, they're not part of that line (and only a few Star Wars characters are).

Purdy

Okay cheers :)

So will my level 4 Luke from my PS4 on my profile be level 4 if I go on my girlfriends profile?

Mask

Okay cheers :)

So will my level 4 Luke from my PS4 on my profile be level 4 if I go on my girlfriends profile?

Yup. Levels are saved on the figure itself, your profile just saves progress in the Toy Box and Playsets. Use it on any platform or profile you want and it will still be the same Level as the last time you played it.

I should be getting my Boba Fett set on wednesday! Only downside to ordering from Amazon.es, much cheaper, but slower postage.

I was laughing with my wife (she bought me the set for my 30th.... yeah my wife is awesome) that everytime I am in the shopping centre now I will have to pick one up especially as they are only around a tenner

Yup. Levels are saved on the figure itself, your profile just saves progress in the Toy Box and Playsets. Use it on any platform or profile you want and it will still be the same Level as the last time you played it.

I should be getting my Boba Fett set on wednesday! Only downside to ordering from Amazon.es, much cheaper, but slower postage.

oooh does amazon have a good selection of the characters?

Mask

oooh does amazon have a good selection of the characters?

A lot of the newer ones are still in stock. Some of the older 1.0 and 2.0 characters might be harder to find at a cheap price, but they're mostly on there. I ordered the Special Edition set from amazon.es because it's more expensive on the UK site, and I wanted to save a bit of cash for the inevitable wallet onslaught!

If you're in the UK, the other regions of Amazon, France, Spain and Italy can be slightly cheaper, and no import tax thanks to the EU. If you're in America or outside of the EU, beware of import tax!

Purdy

Awesome.

It can be levelled up on other profiles too I take it?

Mask

Awesome.

It can be levelled up on other profiles too I take it?

Yep! The level of a figure is totally stored on the figure. Doesn't matter which profile or console you use it on, any level ups are saved to the figure.

Hex

Banned
Collection now up to:
Jack Skellington
Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey
Mulan
Sabine
Boba Fett
Ashoka Tano
Anakin Skywalker
Luke Skywalker
Princess Leia
Quorra
Sullivan
Randal
Mike Wazowski
Aladdin
Jasmine
Captain Jack Sparrow
Captain Barbossa
Merida
Tinkerbell
Black Widow
Rocket Racoon
Thor
Stitch
Ms Incredible

It really is a sickness lol.
I want to get the Inside Out Set from Amazon next I think since it has all of the figures + Fear though Vader is also high on my list with Kanan and Zeb.
I do not think that I will buy any more used though (Black Widow, Sully, Merida and Rocket were used and I just kind of like doing it all myself and you can not wipe them)
Actually I take that used thing back...the Cars stuff I will most likely get as cheap as possible used for completion sake at the end...I am not a fan, I have tried.

I'm jumping in with the PS4 Star Wars Saga bundle. I also grabbed the Tron duo and Sabine. The colour and detail of the 3.0 models is fantastic. I don't know if Disney changed the manufacturing process, but these models are a big step up from the quality of the 1.0 and 2.0 models. I won't have an opportunity to play until Saturday, but in the meantime, I'm trying to track down some of the older 1.0 and 2.0 playsets. Is there a list of the toys unlocked using the playset crystals? I don't know which playsets to prioritise, knowing what unlocks are tied to each crystal would help me decide where to spend my money.

Are there any trustworthy retailers other than Amazon who sell and ship Disney Infinity characters and playsets internationally?

Hex

Banned
I'm jumping in with the PS4 Star Wars Saga bundle. I also grabbed the Tron duo and Sabine. I won't have an opportunity to play until Saturday, but in the meantime, I'm trying to track down some of the older 1.0 and 2.0 playsets. Is there a list of the toys unlocked using the playset crystals? I don't know which playsets to prioritise, knowing what unlocks are tied to each crystal would help me decide where to spend my money.

Are there any trustworthy retailers other than Amazon who sell and ship Disney Infinity characters and playsets internationally?

Good question about the playsets, I am wanting to pick up the Monsters INC and I will probably grab the 1.0 disc on the cheap somewhere so I can play through it.
As far as international...maybe Zavvi or Disney Store?

curb

Banned
I finished the story portion of the Twilight of the Republic playset last night and I really, really enjoyed it. As a huge Clone Wars fan, it made me very happy. I've come away from it with a few thoughts.

I love the animations for the Jedi characters. They all seem to have a distinct look and style to the way they use their lightsaber. The prequel era characters have a much more refined method while Luke, Kanaan and Ezra have a much more rough and no-nonsense style. Especially Ezra who barely looks like he knows what he's doing with it.

Their depiction of both the Clone Wars and OT setting is spot-on (for a kids and family representation) especially Tatooine and Coruscant. I also like that even though
Tatooine is in both playsets that Twilight has Mos Espa instead of Mos Eisley

I'm not done Rise Against the Empire yet but I am finding that Twilight has much better pacing. They're both good but Empire is full of fetch quests that would just be busy work filler except for the fact that most of the tasks are fairly fun. I can finally progress in Empire to the AT-AT battle but I was given no indication that the mission was available while Twilight was always sure to convey and then gently remind me what my next story objective was. Empire's quests are still miles better than the quests in 2.0's Avengers set.

The final boss encounter of Twilight was of course,
Darth Maul and while what they did doesn't quite fit canonically, I found it to be a lot of fun. It was a standard three stage boss fight with escalating attack patterns and fodder enemies thrown in between rounds but I found it to be really well done and the setting of the power generator on Naboo was wonderfully nostalgic
. This is an overall observation but the work that went into the combat system seems to have really paid off. I played around with a couple Marvel characters last night and their combat just feels better. It's a subtle change but it goes a long way for me.

Final thought: I'm just thankful that I can finally play Ahsoka in a decent game. I didn't enjoy the Lego Clone Wars or that Republic Heroes game. She's my favorite Star Wars characters and I find this game very fulfilling.

Good question about the playsets, I am wanting to pick up the Monsters INC and I will probably grab the 1.0 disc on the cheap somewhere so I can play through it.
As far as international...maybe Zavvi or Disney Store?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely give them a go. I am having a hard time finding older characters here in Australia. Most stock seems to have been deleted.

Completed the Twilight of the Republic playset and enjoyed it greatly, but I'm still only scratching the surface of all that's here. Fantastic game all round. I'm using Quorra most of the time in the hub and the toyboxes. Is there any way to recruit the little TRON townsperson ('costume', is it?) as her Sidekick? It would obviously be a perfect match for her in particular, but it's also my favourite of all the little guys I've seen so far. If I'm going to invest time in farming and levelling up a Sidekick then I'd rather pick that one if it's at all possible.

Hex

Banned
Completed the Twilight of the Republic playset and enjoyed it greatly, but I'm still only scratching the surface of all that's here. Fantastic game all round. I'm using Quorra most of the time in the hub and the toyboxes. Is there any way to recruit the little TRON townsperson ('costume', is it?) as her Sidekick? It would obviously be a perfect match for her in particular, but it's also my favourite of all the little guys I've seen so far. If I'm going to invest time in farming and levelling up a Sidekick then I'd rather pick that one if it's at all possible.

I have the Quorra sidekick, I am pretty sure that there is a Sam sidekick also and maybe even a Tron sidekick.
The thing I love and hate about the Twilight of the Republic and probably the same with the other set is that while there is the story itself there is also the mynocs and the holocrons which can be a pain in the ass as well as the champion coins.
It keeps it interesting for replays.

curb

Banned
I have the Quorra sidekick, I am pretty sure that there is a Sam sidekick also and maybe even a Tron sidekick.
The thing I love and hate about the Twilight of the Republic and probably the same with the other set is that while there is the story itself there is also the mynocs and the holocrons which can be a pain in the ass as well as the champion coins.
It keeps it interesting for replays.

The holocrons unlock concept art, don't they? Those seem worth it to me but I never bother searching for mynocks.

I believe you can't have multiple saves or a new game plus which is unfortunate because I'd play through the story again but I don't want to have to find the coins again.

Gowans

There was a Diablo style wave based brawler in toybox on 2.0 is it in and available on 3.0?

Also how do you get to it in 2/3.0???

mreddie

There was a Diablo style wave based brawler in toybox on 2.0 is it in and available on 3.0?

Also how do you get to it in 2/3.0???

2.0, it comes with the game but it's basic as fuck, there's also survival/defense mode in 2.0

3.0, it's Takeover.

MrMephistoX

2.0, it comes with the game but it's basic as fuck, there's also survival/defense mode in 2.0

3.0, it's Takeover.

I ebayed them all...I know it's basic but if you have kids it's hella fun to have something where all the characters can play together.

Escape from Kyln
Assault on Asgard
Brave Forrest Siege
Stitch's Tropical something

That said, Toybox takeover is much more varried so if you had to chose get that and Speedway whenever that releases.

Side note...can anyone recommend a kid friendly case for all of these? I'd love to display them but don't see that lasting long with an eager 3 year old using them as action figures outside of the game.

It sucks that every player needs Takeover on their base for online co-op. I can understand the reasoning I suppose, but my brother went digital and can't exactly go out and buy it right now.

Borman

I do not think that I will buy any more used though (Black Widow, Sully, Merida and Rocket were used and I just kind of like doing it all myself and you can not wipe them)

You can still start over though from level 0...

It sucks that every player needs Takeover on their base for online co-op. I can understand the reasoning I suppose, but my brother went digital and can't exactly go out and buy it right now.
Takeover not getting a proper release until October really really sucks.

Btw is there going to be a non-SW starter kit for 3.0 like how there was the Merida/Stitch toy box bundle for 2.0? Any chance it'll be based around the Toy Box Takeover or racing game discs?

Top Bottom