• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

Then I wonder what new Star Wars characters they could bring in for 4.0 then.....

Could video game and novel characters come to Infinity than? If so I could see Knights of the Old Republic characters or the Apprentice from Force Unleashed appearing in Infinity 4.0 :).

There's plenty of SW characters they've yet to tap that they can do in 4.0. R2-D2 and C-3PO for example, in the same way that Olaf popped up in 3.0 after Anna and Elsa were in 2.0. Mace Windu would be a very nice playable, and Count Dooku would be rad to see. As well as the Emperor himself. And then Jango Fett seems like a no-brainer reskin of Boba Fett with slightly different power trees.

Recently found out about this game I never cared about Skylanders or Amibo but I love Tron. Going to stop by Best Buy sometime this week and get a Flynn and Quorra figure...maybe a few more

curb

Banned
Then I wonder what new Star Wars characters they could bring in for 4.0 then.....

Could video game and novel characters come to Infinity than? If so I could see Knights of the Old Republic characters or the Apprentice from Force Unleashed appearing in Infinity 4.0 :).

Old Republic and Force Unleashed are no longer canon so they very likely won't show up. There's going to be a Star Wars movie pretty much annually for a while now so I'm sure they'll have lots to work with.

All this 4.0 talk despite the fact 3.0 is gonna have content all the way til April.

So true.

Spamification1

Neo Member
Recently found out about this game I never cared about Skylanders or Amibo but I love Tron. Going to stop by Best Buy sometime this week and get a Flynn and Quorra figure...maybe a few more

I bought a Sam Flynn, Quorra, Darth Maul, and Obi wan. I don't even own the game yet, the figures just look really good.

There's plenty of SW characters they've yet to tap that they can do in 4.0. R2-D2 and C-3PO for example, in the same way that Olaf popped up in 3.0 after Anna and Elsa were in 2.0. Mace Windu would be a very nice playable, and Count Dooku would be rad to see. As well as the Emperor himself. And then Jango Fett seems like a no-brainer reskin of Boba Fett with slightly different power trees.
Not that it matters but Anna and Elsa were in 1.0.

curb

Banned

I don't think R2 and 3P0 have any combat potential. Certainly not the latter. R2 does have that teddy bear zapper...

SerodD

So I just spent all my in-game money on some packs and tools, and for some reason I can't get the menu to pop-up so I can use them in the toy box. I read online that on the ps4 version it should pop-up when I hold R1 but all it does is make my character use a special attack.

So how do I equip the packs and tools I bought on the PS4 version?

curb

Banned
So I just spent all my in-game money on some packs and tools, and for some reason I can't get the menu to pop-up so I can use them in the toy box. I read online that on the ps4 version it should pop-up when I hold R1 but all it does is make my character use a special attack.

So how do I equip the packs and tools I bought on the PS4 version?

If your in a Toy Box that you're designing, pushing in the PS4 touchpad should bring up the tool box full of your stuff.

SerodD

If your in a Toy Box that you're designing, pushing in the PS4 touchpad should bring up the tool box full of your stuff.

It does but I can't find my buzz lightyear jetpack or my green goblin glider, etc. on that list of stuff. Is it supposed to be there?

It does but I can't find my buzz lightyear jetpack or my green goblin glider, etc. on that list of stuff. Is it supposed to be there?
Highlight an item and press square to switch it out with something else

Edit: do this first
I think you access those by holding left or right on the d-pad until a radial menu pops up. Unless you can drop them I. Your toy box somehow.

curb

Banned

I think you access those by holding left or right on the d-pad until a radial menu pops up. Unless you can drop them I. Your toy box somehow.

Hex

Banned
I bought a Sam Flynn, Quorra, Darth Maul, and Obi wan. I don't even own the game yet, the figures just look really good.

Nice, hang off of the Jedi though because there will be light up saber variants coming out in a bit for Luke, Vader, Kanan, Obi Wan, Yoda , and Anakin and they will only cost $1 more than standard.

Poona

Yeah, I bought Donald Duck, Groot and Stitch last year as I liked the figures, and I didn't have the game (though picked up 2.0 now to see what it was like as I now have 3.0)

3.0 figures have improved across the board, that and the improved game got me to jump in. I only wish they had the started with the same standard in figures they have now. Would have got into it much earlier if they had.

Yeah, I bought Donald Duck, Groot and Stitch last year as I liked the figures, and I didn't have the game (though picked up 2.0 now to see what it was like as I now have 3.0)

3.0 figures have improved across the board, that and the improved game got me to jump in. I only wish they had the started with the same standard in figures they have now. Would have got into it much earlier if they had.

Yeah, I think I mentioned it earlier but if there's not a theme for 4.0 I really hope the old characters get an update. They have some great characters but after playing the Jedi they just aren't as fun.

curb

Banned
The SHIELD truck is faster?

I think it might be. I just tried them both out and it's hard to tell. The truck may be just slightly faster. So wrong.

Edit: on the positive side, the on-rails space combat portions of Empire are fantastic. Also, the off-rails space combat sections are terrific as well.

Spamification1

Neo Member
Nice, hang off of the Jedi though because there will be light up saber variants coming out in a bit for Luke, Vader, Kanan, Obi Wan, Yoda , and Anakin and they will only cost $1 more than standard.

Wow. This is the first I've heard of this. I'll definitely be getting them then.

Well guess I need to get those also, earlier I watch the Giantbomb quick look for Infinity 3.0 it looks nuts in all the good ways.

Does anybody know if the Cartwheel 30% works on the playsets, too, or is it just the individual figures?

Still kicking myself for not preordering, after all the reviews say it's better than 2.0. Trying to see if I can at least get close to what it would have been if I'd preordered from Best Buy+GCU, or if I'm better off waiting a few months.

Hex

Banned
Link

light-fx.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUVAhe_3H-o

Target apparently has the other retailer exclusives. They are locked for purchase until the 20th though so no Cartwheel savings and no FORCE coupons :(

So I've never played a Disney Infinity game and I'm tempted to pick this up because of Star Wars

Is the actual game itself fun / good?

RK128

So I've never played a Disney Infinity game and I'm tempted to pick this up because of Star Wars

3.0 is a mixture of a few games in one:
-Twilight of the Republic and Rise Against the Empire are action/adventure games with expansive combat systems mirroring action games, has pod-racing, space combat and more. Twilight focuses more on combat/pod-racing while Rise focuses more on hub-world exploration and space battles. Both are high quality and are a HUGE step up from 2.0 playsets.

-Inside Out: Colorful and fun looking platformer mixing 2.5D and 3D platforming. Its nothing amazing, unique or special, but its polished, fun and lasts up to 4-5 hours depending on how much you dive into the game. Each of the characters has a little perk that adds to the experience (Anger walks on lava, Joy has a short hover, Fear moves faster, ect) as well. Overall good family fun :).

-Toy Box Takeover: Diabo-style action game that has you place ANY (but the Cars figures) on the portal to fight waves of foes, do light platforming and just exploring Disney/Marvel/Star Wars themed levels. Its fun, makes great use of a lot of IP that was featured in past Infinity games and is a great way to re-use 1.0 and 2.0 Disney/Marvel figures :). Great package that lasts 3-5 hours and half the price of a normal playset :D. Coming out in October but out now for pre-ordered copies of 3.0.

-Toy Box Speedway: Sonic Racing-style game that has has expanded racing mechanics lifted from other Sumo Digital titles (Sonic Racing Transformed/All Stars Racing, Outrun, Foza Horizon 2 360, ect) and applies that within Infinity 3.0. A number of race tracks from Disney/Marvel/Star Wars IP will be included (Gravity Falls and Wreck-It-Ralph for example) and a lot of modes will be featured as well. Like Toy Box Takeover, every character is playable here (including the Cars figures) and every car you unlocked in past Infinity games is usage, unlock or Power Disk included (DARKWING DUCK MOTOBIKE :D! WITH THEME SONG PLAYING XD!), so you have a lot of options for cars and characters. Coming out in October (with the retail release of Takeover) for 20 bucks.

-Star Wars Episode VII: Unknown at this point, but a lot points to it following the plot of the film while using the template Twilight/Rise (combat system, racing mechanics, space combat, ect) had. New figures of Ep. VII playable with this (alongside the other Star Wars figures) too. Coming out November/December when the movie launches.

-Marvel Battlegrounds: A four-player playset that lets you use ever 2.0 and 3.0 Marvel Figure. A lot unknown outside of it featuring gameplay new to Infinity and the new Marvel Figures outside of Hulkbuster and Ultron are not announced yet (Quicksilver, Captian Marvel, Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, and Ant-Man are all likely to be figures for 3.0/4.0). More news on this over the months and it will be coming in 2016.

Hope this helps :).

So if I got the digital version of the game and an Obi Wan Kenobi figure, can I play in any of the Star Wars playsets or do I need anything else?

RK128

So if I got the digital version of the game and an Obi Wan Kenobi figure, can I play in any of the Star Wars playsets or do I need anything else?

You need to buy following then:
-Infinity Base (used PS3/PS4/Wii U ones should be 3 bucks I think)
-Twilight of the Republic and/or Rise Against the Empire Playset (40 bucks per playset; comes with 'game' base, and two figures playable in the playset)

Sadly, Obi Wan isn't playable right off the bat in Rise due to having to collect his character coin, but its very easy to spot (right at the entrance of the first major hub world, after completing the first ground level).

Obi Wan works right away in the Twilight playset though :).

RobbieNick

Yes. This is actually the best of the Disney Infinity and both play sets are pretty fun. I finished both Twilight of the Republic and Rise of the Empire this week. The campaigns themselves are short at about 4-5 hours each if played straight through, but there are bonus missions and extra challenges you can take. You can also change the difficulty from easy, normal, hard to the incredibly hard extreme where even one Stormtrooper can kill you if you're not careful.

The melee action is awesome and only gets better as you upgrade your skills. Ninja Theory (Devil May Cry remake) put a lot of effort into the melee system. It allows you to juggle opponents into the air and make different combos.

The only downside is the space combat. It can be good once you get going, but it takes some getting used to and using the triangle button to fire always feels odd. There are some open challenges in space, but few and it can feel pretty limited. Not only that, most of it is unnecessary to go to the next planet. However, my favorite space parts are the ones where you ship is kinda on rails. The attack on the Death Star, getting through the asteroid field and the second Death Star. Sadly, Twilight of the Republic doesn't really have these set pieces for some reason.

Then there's the Toy Box.Such a vast improvement over the last two. There's a full Toy Box hub which gives you some great direction on building your own toy box. Not to mention all the different Toy Boxes you can download and try out online.

Another cool improvement is the new addition of sidekicks and farms. In Toy Box games and games like Toybox Takeover, Sidekicks can add some much needed firepower. You can boost their abilities and add new guns and hats to the point where they can kick more ass than you! However, boosting their skills requires food. This is where farming comes in. You can either use the farm in the Toy Box hub and buy plots (don't) or make your own farm and add the plots for nothing (do). You then give your sidekicks a choice of different hoes and watch them go to work. You can cut down weeds and flowers in the meantime, but you have to wait a little while before you can cultivate. It's still surprisingly fun to do.

If I had to rate the Infinity's, I'd give the first one an 8.0, the second a 7.0 (those Marvel playsets were borrring!) and this new one a 9.0. The best of the bunch.

-Twilight of the Republic and/or Rise Against the Empire Playset (40 bucks per playset; comes with 'game' base, and two figures playable in the playset)

Sadly, Obi Wan isn't playable right off the bat in Rise due to having to collect his character coin, but its very easy to spot (right at the entrance of the first major hub world, after completing the first ground level).

It's $35 actually. $40 if you buy at Gamestop.

I already have the base, so I would just need one of the two playset pieces? I know that the Twilight of the Republic Play Set Piece by itself can be had on ebay for $15.

RK128

I already have the base, so I would just need one of the two playset pieces? I know that the Twilight of the Republic Play Set Piece by itself can be had on ebay for $15.

Yes, you only need the playset piece and you are set :D!

Just keep in mind, the Rise playset you need a native figure to collect the character coin (Luke for example) for Obi Wan to be playable through.

But you are set if you are only getting the Twilight Playset :D!

Have fun if you play it man :).

3.0 is a mixture of a few games in one:
-Twilight of the Republic and Rise Against the Empire are action/adventure games with expansive combat systems mirroring action games, has pod-racing, space combat and more. Twilight focuses more on combat/pod-racing while Rise focuses more on hub-world exploration and space battles. Both are high quality and are a HUGE step up from 2.0 playsets.

-Inside Out: Colorful and fun looking platformer mixing 2.5D and 3D platforming. Its nothing amazing, unique or special, but its polished, fun and lasts up to 4-5 hours depending on how much you dive into the game. Each of the characters has a little perk that adds to the experience (Anger walks on lava, Joy has a short hover, Fear moves faster, ect) as well. Overall good family fun :).

-Toy Box Takeover: Diabo-style action game that has you place ANY (but the Cars figures) on the portal to fight waves of foes, do light platforming and just exploring Disney/Marvel/Star Wars themed levels. Its fun, makes great use of a lot of IP that was featured in past Infinity games and is a great way to re-use 1.0 and 2.0 Disney/Marvel figures :). Great package that lasts 3-5 hours and half the price of a normal playset :D. Coming out in October but out now for pre-ordered copies of 3.0.

-Toy Box Speedway: Sonic Racing-style game that has has expanded racing mechanics lifted from other Sumo Digital titles (Sonic Racing Transformed/All Stars Racing, Outrun, Foza Horizon 2 360, ect) and applies that within Infinity 3.0. A number of race tracks from Disney/Marvel/Star Wars IP will be included (Gravity Falls and Wreck-It-Ralph for example) and a lot of modes will be featured as well. Like Toy Box Takeover, every character is playable here (including the Cars figures) and every car you unlocked in past Infinity games is usage, unlock or Power Disk included (DARKWING DUCK MOTOBIKE :D! WITH THEME SONG PLAYING XD!), so you have a lot of options for cars and characters. Coming out in October (with the retail release of Takeover) for 20 bucks.

-Star Wars Episode VII: Unknown at this point, but a lot points to it following the plot of the film while using the template Twilight/Rise (combat system, racing mechanics, space combat, ect) had. New figures of Ep. VII playable with this (alongside the other Star Wars figures) too. Coming out November/December when the movie launches.

-Marvel Battlegrounds: A four-player playset that lets you use ever 2.0 and 3.0 Marvel Figure. A lot unknown outside of it featuring gameplay new to Infinity and the new Marvel Figures outside of Hulkbuster and Ultron are not announced yet (Quicksilver, Captian Marvel, Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, and Ant-Man are all likely to be figures for 3.0/4.0). More news on this over the months and it will be coming in 2016.

Hope this helps :).
I think this sold me. I'll join in Disney Infinite 3.0 as soon as I can. Sounds great fun.

Yes, you only need the playset piece and you are set :D!

Just keep in mind, the Rise playset you need a native figure to collect the character coin (Luke for example) for Obi Wan to be playable through.

But you are set if you are only getting the Twilight Playset :D!

Have fun if you play it man :).

Thanks for the info!!!

My son wanted the Obi Wan character today and I got it for him, but I just found the playset piece on ebay for under $13 bucks so I will get that and be set for quite a while.

RK128

Thanks for the info!!!

My son wanted the Obi Wan character today and I got it for him, but I just found the playset piece on ebay for under $13 bucks so I will get that and be set for quite a while.

Have fun man :). Glad I could help somehow :D!

I'm still a little confused about Toybox Speedway tbh. I haven't really read much on that and I skipped these games in 2.0 because I wasn't a huge fan of 2.0 but Toybox Takeover still feels like a game in the toybox versus a playset which still feels more polished and "gamey". Is Speedway supposed to be like the intro to 3.0 because I'm picturing fancy levels made within the toybox compared to actual levels that we ourselves could not make.

Tendo

Messing around with some of marvel figures today and I had to share ownership and they were all at level 1. Is that normal?

RK128

I'm still a little confused about Toybox Speedway tbh. I haven't really read much on that and I skipped these games in 2.0 because I wasn't a huge fan of 2.0 but Toybox Takeover still feels like a game in the toybox versus a playset which still feels more polished and "gamey". Is Speedway supposed to be like the intro to 3.0 because I'm picturing fancy levels made within the toybox compared to actual levels that we ourselves could not make.

The reason the Star Wars and Inside Out playsets look more 'complete' is due to them having a common theme to them.

With the Toy Box Expansions, it mashes up different IP into a mode linked to each expansion. I saw an entire playthrough of the Takeover expansion and visually it looked very nice and it felt like a full game. Just one using different Disney/Disney-owned IP throughout instead of just focusing on one of them.

The Toy Box Speedway will function similarly to that, with a small racing hub and a portal linking you to different race tracks/modes using different IP.

Both are complete experiences and have solid production values, its just they aren't as 'detailed' as the other playsets due to them not focusing on one core thing like the other playsets.

Long story short; don't write them off due to them being cheaper and/or 'looking' cheaper then the other playsets :).

Edit: And also consider that Sumo Digital is developing the Raceway playset (like how Ninja Theory developed the Twilight of the Republic Playset) and a look at past games they developed shows how they can make amazing looking games. Sonic Racing Transformed is a great example of there work on a number of levels, as is the Outrun games they developed in the past :D.

curb

Banned
Messing around with some of marvel figures today and I had to share ownership and they were all at level 1. Is that normal?

If you had leveled them up previously then it's not normal. I had to share ownership on my 2.0 figures but they all came with the levels and skills I had already earned.

Ludist210

I spent a good amount of time with Twilight of the Republic this weekend, and despite not liking the original trilogy all that much, I am really enjoying this. Missions are well done (and give incentives to replay them) and the worlds that I've seen are just fun to explore.

curb

Banned
I spent a good amount of time with Twilight of the Republic this weekend, and despite not liking the original trilogy all that much, I am really enjoying this. Missions are well done (and give incentives to replay them) and the worlds that I've seen are just fun to explore.

Twilight has some really good structure and pacing. They really did a good job with it.

Ludist210

Twilight has some really good structure and pacing. They really did a good job with it.
Yeah they did. I was very impressed.

It's like they took the best of 1.0 and 2.0 and they had a baby...a huge step up from the sets in 2.0 (which were all pretty weak honestly).

Top Bottom