• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

It sucks that every player needs Takeover on their base for online co-op. I can understand the reasoning I suppose, but my brother went digital and can't exactly go out and buy it right now.

Have him check target. My local ones have a bunch in stock.

In fact, use the cartwheel 30% off figures, pick up 4 figures (make sure one is Star Wars), pick up the toybox takeover, and use the $10 off $50 star wars coupon (it works, just scan it). $49.15 plus tax for four figures and toybox takeover.

Hex

Banned
You can still start over though from level 0...

Can you?
They start at whatever level that they were and I did not know you could change it.
Like Black Widow was level 7 (not that big a deal really) and I think Sulli was 8 or so and also I like having the codes for PC in case I decide to jump on there also.

Have him check target. My local ones have a bunch in stock.

In fact, use the cartwheel 30% off figures, pick up 4 figures (make sure one is Star Wars), pick up the toybox takeover, and use the $10 off $50 star wars coupon (it works, just scan it). $49.15 plus tax for four figures and toybox takeover.
Closest Target is 50 miles away. I find it interesting that Target is selling Takeover on their site though. The whole release thing is so confusing.

Ecto311

Takeover not getting a proper release until October really really sucks.

Btw is there going to be a non-SW starter kit for 3.0 like how there was the Merida/Stitch toy box bundle for 2.0? Any chance it'll be based around the Toy Box Takeover or racing game discs?

Damn that's what I was wondering. I heard others seen it on shelves and I looked in a few places today didn't find it at all. It sounds cool but info for it is soo limited. Both takedown and Speedway look great.

RK128

Btw is there going to be a non-SW starter kit for 3.0 like how there was the Merida/Stitch toy box bundle for 2.0? Any chance it'll be based around the Toy Box Takeover or racing game discs?

....Considering how the expansions aren't 40 bucks like the other Playsets, I could easily see this happening:
-Disney Infinity 3.0: Toy Box Adventures Pack
-Contains Takeover and Raceway expansions
-Mickey and Minnie being the included figures
-Disney-themed power disks included
-Priced at 55 bucks instead of 65 bucks
-Pre-order bonus for Spot (The Good Dinosaur) figure

Seems possible :).

Both expansions are supposed to last up to 3-6 hours per expansion and its a much better deal than the 2.0 Toy Box bundle :).

RK128

Is it possible for them to have unique bundles for each expansion?

In that case...it could also be like this:
-Takeover Bundle: Sam, Qura and Muilan + some Disney 2.0 Power Disks
-Raceway Bundle: Lighting McQueen, Mickey and Minnie + some Disney 3.0 Power Disks

Both 50 bucks.

curb

Banned
Is it possible for them to have unique bundles for each expansion?

In that case...it could also be like this:
-Takeover Bundle: Sam, Qura and Muilan + some Disney 2.0 Power Disks
-Raceway Bundle: Lighting McQueen, Mickey and Minnie + some Disney 3.0 Power Disks

Both 50 bucks.

I doubt they'll be doing anymore bundles with three characters. I also doubt they'll package in power discs either - just given what they put out for 2.0 and 3.0 so far.

If they were to make another starter pack that wasn't Star Wars I could see the game, base, Takeover or Speedway and one figure for $55. They don't seem to be into discounting the portions in the bundles ($30 base and game + $35 Twilight playset isn't any cheaper than buying the digital Toy Box at normal price and the playset separately).

RK128

I doubt they'll be doing anymore bundles with three characters. I also doubt they'll package in power discs either - just given what they put out for 2.0 and 3.0 so far.

If they were to make another starter pack that wasn't Star Wars I could see the game, base, Takeover or Speedway and one figure for $55. They don't seem to be into discounting the portions in the bundles ($30 base and game + $35 Twilight playset isn't any cheaper than buying the digital Toy Box at normal price and the playset separately).

Would be a great way to sell the expansions at the very least if they bundle both of them in one bundle :).

Edit: Plus they would want two figures to be in the bundle, as they want to push co-op as a big feature for the game.

curb

Banned
Would be a great way to sell the expansions at the very least if they bundle both of them in one bundle :).

Edit: Plus they would want two figures to be in the bundle, as they want to push co-op as a big feature for the game.

It would be a good idea but I do doubt they would do so at $55 when they sell the figures separately for $14 a piece. Unless sales have been poor at launch in which case it may be worthwhile to bring in more users.

RK128

It would be a good idea but I do doubt they would do so at $55 when they sell the figures separately for $14 a piece. Unless sales have been poor at launch in which case it may be worthwhile to bring in more users.

Okay, maybe rise the price to the same one as the Star Wars bundle (65$) to make things more fair :).

curb

Banned
Okay, maybe rise the price to the same one as the Star Wars bundle (65$) to make things more fair :).

It seems like substituting the Twilight playset piece itself for a Toy Box expansion is of comparable value. Takeover is apparently 3-6 hours as is Twilight so that setup at $65 is probably reasonable. It's all overpriced to me though despite how much I enjoy it.

ryushe

I'm sorry if this has been explain ad nauseam already, but I've just entered this awesome (and confusing) world and I need some answers. So, my sister bought me the 3.0 set this past Force Friday and I'm really enjoying this game, but I was wondering, can I at all access the content from the Marvel stuff levels and stuff from 2.0?

Been looking everywhere for that information, but between things named playsets, power disk, etc. etc. I can't seem to find a concrete answer.

Draysoth

I'm sorry if this has been explain ad nauseam already, but I've just entered this awesome (and confusing) world and I need some answers. So, my sister bought me the 3.0 set this past Force Friday and I'm really enjoying this game, but I was wondering, can I at all access the content from the Marvel stuff levels and stuff from 2.0?

Been looking everywhere for that information, but between things named playsets, power disk, etc. etc. I can't seem to find a concrete answer.
No. Just the characters in a few 3.0 sets like toy box takeover. The old levels only unlock building parts.

You can still start over though from level 0...

How?

Also, has anyone else's lobby bugged out? I can add items like lamps and stuff but I can no longer make any changes to my lobby theme. Can't change the center piece, or any wallpaper or floor or anything.

No way to reset it either that I can find which is annoying as Fuck

Hex

Banned
How?

Also, has anyone else's lobby bugged out? I can add items like lamps and stuff but I can no longer make any changes to my lobby theme. Can't change the center piece, or any wallpaper or floor or anything.

No way to reset it either that I can find which is annoying as Fuck

Do you mean the interior of your house?

curb

Banned
That's... Kind of lame. We're the previous games/content any good?

The Marvel stuff in 2.0 was just okay. Maybe "playable" is the best word. You're not missing out on anything. Just FYI, you can use the 2.0 figures in the Toy Box modes in case you did want some Marvel-ish fun.

I do use the Captain Marvel team up power disc now and then for fun doing missions for fun

I'm still hoping she gets an actual figure sooner rather than later.

Borman

To reset your character, it should be in the options menu. I havent looked for 3.0 yet, but there was a "Reset Figure" option.

So it'd be possible to pick up the big extra bundle with Boba Fett and Luke and Leia for the PS3/4, then use the base and all those figures with the Wii U digital download version of the game right?

Do you mean the interior of your house?

Yeah the INterior thing. I can build out the full house and do whatever in other rooms but the lobby doesn't allow any changes at all

I even trashed the house down to only leaving you're lobby left and still nothing

curb

Banned
So it'd be possible to pick up the big extra bundle with Boba Fett and Luke and Leia for the PS3/4, then use the base and all those figures with the Wii U digital download version of the game right?

I believe so. I think it's just Xbox that has a unique base.

RK128

That's... Kind of lame. We're the previous games/content any good?

1.0 did a solid job with its playsets, as each one felt unique and different through extreme (driving mechanics in the Cars one) or through simple changes (different types of objects in the Lone Ranger, Toy Story and Monsters University Playsets). Each one had small issues but overall they were good uses of each IP :).

2.0 was playable but nothing special. Avengers and Spider-Man are completely inter-changeable; they might as well be the same playset. Same core hub areas, same types of missions and a focus on beating up mindless foes really put an damper on things. Guardians of the Galaxy is better but that is mainly due to the cast you are playing as, the world looking very different then Spider-Man/Avengers and the mission types being slightly different. Its a shame that it was so underwhelming but at least the Marvel Figures have a lot of moves to play with.

3.0 seems be a mixture of the best parts of 1.0 and 2.0. You have the expansive variety that 1.0 had with different types of games (3D/2.5D Platformer, Action/Adventure games, Diablo-style game, Kart Racing game) with the similar gameplay styled playsets being unique through very different locations, different focus on mission types and gameplay feeling different (Twilight has a focus on Lightsaber combat, pod racing and exploration/Republic has a focus on hub world mission completing and space battles).

The Toy Box Expansions (Takeover and Raceway) do a lot in making Infinity 3.0 a great package for everyone; you can use all your figures from the entire Infinity line (outside of the Cars ones for Takeover), they are just as long as the normal playsets and they feel very different then the playsets. Hope 4.0 takes this a step further with a greater focus on playsets that allow for characters to cross-over with one another.

Star Wars figures working with every Star Wars set is already as step there and the Toy Box Expansions show promise of that being fully fleshed out, so hope that 4.0 goes wild with this idea :D!

Muppet's and Kingdom Hearts seem to be great IP's to focus on for future Infinity games, so lets see what happens :).

Thanks for the responses. Not sure I'm going to DO that, but it's a definite possibility once I get my first paycheck from my new job.

Almost did the same thing with the big 2.0 bundle until I found out that the PS3 portal wouldn't work on the 360. There's still a few places around here with that one.

Jetku

Spent way too much money on this today, my first Disney infinity game. I already have sorcerer Mickey from 1.0 and captain America, as collectables.

Purchased the saga starter pack from GameStop then went to target and got the inside out pack plus Mickey and Minnie.

I was very happy with my GameStop experience. I mentioned that I wish I knew I'd be getting the game, and I would have preordered to get the toy box takeover. The guy voided my transaction and rerung it with the takeover for free! Not sure if this is an advertised deal, but he checked the computer and it let him do it.

Can't wait to get started!

curb

Banned
Stupid Best Buy didn't ever get back to me about my missing Toybox Takeover preorder code

Best Buy doesn't seem to get that it's not a code but the QC actual physical power disc.

Unrelated, I've seen many people suggesting that Kingdom Hearts should be included. KH is already about bringing Disney worlds together. Adding it to Infinity outside of maybe a couple figures just seems redundant to me. That being said, they really should do a Sora figure.

Best Buy doesn't seem to get that it's not a code but the QC actual physical power disc.

Unrelated, I've seen many people suggesting that Kingdom Hearts should be included. KH is already about bringing Disney worlds together. Adding it to Infinity outside of maybe a couple figures just seems redundant to me. That being said, they really should do a Sora figure.

It would be kind of fun if they could do a Sora figure that worked in every playset since that's kind of his thing. But I guess if they were going to do that, Stitch would be able to do it too.

I get the feeling that 4.0 might be focused on crossover stuff, using KH as a springboard setting to connect their various worlds. Guess we'll have to wait and see, but that'd be the biggest thing they can introduce in a sequel I imagine- total crossover compatability across the board.

RK128

Unrelated, I've seen many people suggesting that Kingdom Hearts should be included. KH is already about bringing Disney worlds together. Adding it to Infinity outside of maybe a couple figures just seems redundant to me.

They used Pixar/Live Action for 1.0, Marvel for 2.0 and Star Wars for 3.0.

Outside of Muppets, can't really picture any 'big' thing to base 4.0 on other then KH's.

That has a huge game coming, can be a great excuse to break the cross-over element that the Toy Box expansions are pulling and we are getting KH's content in Infinity 3.0.

ToyBox_UltimateUnlock_Keyblade.0.0.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

So, I take it as hints that 4.0 or 5.0 will have KH's be a major focus for the Infinity series :).

Granted, I don't expect a lot of KH figures (only Sora, Riku, Kairi at first, with the other keyblade heroes coming in latter waves) but still, a great way to have Disney be front and center again :D.

curb

Banned
I know they have that special King Mickey power disc but again, I think focusing on KH in Infinity is redundant. Cross promoting with a few figures absolutely and maybe some power discs sure but a KH playset, I highly doubt.

RK128

I know they have that special King Mickey power disc but again, I think focusing on KH in Infinity is redundant. Cross promoting with a few figures absolutely and maybe some power discs sure but a KH playset, I highly doubt.

What else could they do? Unless they focus on Marvel again or highlight the Muppets, 4.0 doesn't have a big 'hook' that 2.0 and 3.0 have.

Disney leveraged from buying Marvel and Star Wars with the Infinity games, but they didn't use there biggest gaming IP yet; Kingdom Hearts.

And with KH3 coming next year or early 2017, it would be very smart to play with the KH's hype train with Infinity 4.0 :).

MrMephistoX

4.0 should just be an expansion. I think they could possibly just release new playsets tied to film releases from here on out and call it good unless Disney buys another company with huge IP potential.

They aren't short of content and haven't even remotely tapped out their existing Disney Catalog with Little Mermaid and such...come to think of it 4.0 should be just full on Disney and make the 1.0 stuff BC.

I'd take including the Keyblade as the Ultimate Unlock, like the Lightsaber is in the first DI, as a much bigger cue about future KH content in 4.0 or 5.0 or whatever than the costume disc is.

curb

Banned
What else could they do? Unless they focus on Marvel again or highlight the Muppets, 4.0 doesn't have a big 'hook' that 2.0 and 3.0 have.

Disney leveraged from buying Marvel and Star Wars with the Infinity games, but they didn't use there biggest gaming IP yet; Kingdom Hearts.

And with KH3 coming next year or early 2017, it would be very smart to play with the KH's hype train with Infinity 4.0 :).

I think they need to move away from a big anchor focus or hook. Kingdom Hearts is big with a subsection of gamers but it doesn't have the pull of a Marvel or Star Wars. They should just continue to produce good content for their three pillars (Disney, Marvel and Star Wars). KH can be brought in but it's not big enough to carry a full version launch given their target demographic.

I don't even think Muppets are big enough or appropriate enough to anchor a major version launch.

I think the Keyblade as the ultimate unlock is far Mar indicative of cross-promotion than a pattern of what their next big focus is.

RK128

You know, I think they might just do this with 4.0:
-Have 1 playset for each franchise (Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars) and each one can cross-over with each other
-Have two/three Toy Box Expansions
-Make Toy Box Takeover become a full-on Story mode that's included in the base game without any playset/expansion
-Make the Toy Box Raceway a full-on mode in 4.0.
-Both Takeover 4.0 and Raceway 4.0 support content/levels/sidekicks from 3.0 (place expansion down on portal to unlock content)
-KH's and Muppets character join the cast but don't take over everything
-KH's and Muppets get five/six characters slots
-Classic Disney characters join the cast alongside Inhumans and Spiderman characters for Marvel and more characters from SW: Rebels and new SW's faces (Apprentice from Force Unleashed :D?)

ta155

Disappointed to find Best Buy's four for three deal on figures wasn't in effect anymore when I popped in today.... need that Inside Out playset to kill time before Rise Agaisnt the Empire!

For 4.0, I'd love it if they put together a huge crossover playset much in the same way as LEGO Dimensions is doing. Allow all the characters to crossover in some crazy interdimensional story... would be pretty cool!

-Have 1 playset for each franchise (Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars) and each one can cross-over with each other
-Make Toy Box Takeover become a full-on Story mode that's included in the base game without any playset/expansion
-Both Takeover 4.0 and Raceway 4.0 support content/levels/sidekicks from 3.0 (place expansion down on portal to unlock content)
-Classic Disney characters join the cast alongside X-Men characters for Marvel and more characters from SW: Rebels and new SW's faces (Apprentice from Force Unleashed :D?)

Marvel/Disney don't own the merchandising rights to X-Men and Fantastic Four characters right now so they wouldn't be able to add those.

I think a Muppets playset for 4.0 seems pretty likely but yeah like you said, they'll focus on the crossover content rather than any particular franchise.

I have to imagine that Muppets figures for Infinity would look fantastic.

curb

Banned
-Classic Disney characters join the cast alongside X-Men characters for Marvel and more characters from SW: Rebels and new SW's faces (Apprentice from Force Unleashed :D?)

I think that sounds likely but probably with less figures for KH and Muppets than you suggest (unless the new Muppet show absolutely explodes). Also, unless Marvel pictures gets the X-Men license back - which isn't happening any time soon - they won't appear.

Edit: I like how ta155 thinks. 4.0 should break some more of the walls down between the pillar franchises. Launch with a Takeover style crossover on disc and do play sets for the pillars on top of that.

RK128

4.0 should just be an expansion. I think they could possibly just release new playsets tied to film releases from here on out and call it good unless Disney buys another company with huge IP potential.

They aren't short of content and haven't even remotely tapped out their existing Disney Catalog with Little Mermaid and such...come to think of it 4.0 should be just full on Disney and make the 1.0 stuff BC.

I would love that honestly; grew up with Disney and when 1.0 was announced, I thought it would be that :').

But I could see classic Disney being the next big push, with a large list of Disney IP to use (Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Tarzan, Oilver and Company, Rescue Rangers Down Under, Hunchback, Alantis, Teasure Planet, Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood, Mickey Mouse (ALOT of characters still not present....where the heck is Goofy and Oswald?), ect).

curb

Banned
It's true, Disney's classics are severely underutilized. I remember a mention in one of their live streams that they hadn't quite figured out how to do underwater and four-legged characters. Get that done, do Lion King and Little Mermaid!

Goofy shows up in some concept art so I think he's on the way later into 3.0. They'll still need to do Daisy and Oswald though. I'd love to see Oswald.

It's true, Disney's classics are severely underutilized. I remember a mention in one of their live streams that they hadn't quite figured out how to do underwater and four-legged characters. Get that done, do Lion King and Little Mermaid!

Yeah if they're working on new mechanics I bet we see those. But rather than Little Mermaid it'll probably be a Finding Dory playset to tie into the movie, with Ariel and some other swimmy types released as standalone figures.

I wonder what they'd have those guys do on land though. Swim in the air?

curb

Banned
Yeah if they're working on new mechanics I bet we see those. But rather than Little Mermaid it'll probably be a Finding Dory playset to tie into the movie, with Ariel and some other swimmy types released as standalone figures.

I'm sure that's why they haven't show up yet. Cars characters work so I'm sure a lion could too but a water-based character is something completely different. Unless the Little Fish Lady magically gets legs when she exits the water but as you say, Dory seems like a more timely candidate.

RK128

Goofy shows up in some concept art so I think he's on the way later into 3.0. They'll still need to do Daisy and Oswald though. I'd love to see Oswald.

Goofy is coming then :D! Great XD! Will get him, Mickey and Donald when all become available :).

A Finding Dory Playset seems likely, as if Inside Out is any indication, Pixar playsets are still a thing.

1.0 was filled with four of them and the only reason we didn't get any with 2.0 was with its only focus on Marvel Content (making the Disney side of the game disappointing :().

4.0's Pixar Playset will likely be Finding Dory, the Star Wars Playset might be based on Rebels, the Marvel ones will be based on the recent films at the time and the Disney/Toy Box one will be a successor to the Toy Box Takeover/Raceway content of 3.0.

Poona

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely give them a go. I am having a hard time finding older characters here in Australia. Most stock seems to have been deleted.

You could try ozgameshop.com as well as zavvi . Those are the two I've used to help me get the older stock from 1.0 and 2.0 if I couldn't find them in Australian stores. Although I did have to get the Toy Story play set from eBay.

curb

Banned
Unless Rebels TA a huge upswing in viewers, I doubt we'll get any related content outside of the four figures were already getting.

RK128

Unless Rebels TA a huge upswing in viewers, I doubt we'll get any related content outside of the four figures were already getting.

Then I wonder what new Star Wars characters they could bring in for 4.0 then.....

Could video game and novel characters come to Infinity than? If so I could see Knights of the Old Republic characters or the Apprentice from Force Unleashed appearing in Infinity 4.0 :).

ryushe

1.0 did a solid job with its playsets, as each one felt unique and different through extreme (driving mechanics in the Cars one) or through simple changes (different types of objects in the Lone Ranger, Toy Story and Monsters University Playsets). Each one had small issues but overall they were good uses of each IP :).

2.0 was playable but nothing special. Avengers and Spider-Man are completely inter-changeable; they might as well be the same playset. Same core hub areas, same types of missions and a focus on beating up mindless foes really put an damper on things. Guardians of the Galaxy is better but that is mainly due to the cast you are playing as, the world looking very different then Spider-Man/Avengers and the mission types being slightly different. Its a shame that it was so underwhelming but at least the Marvel Figures have a lot of moves to play with.

3.0 seems be a mixture of the best parts of 1.0 and 2.0. You have the expansive variety that 1.0 had with different types of games (3D/2.5D Platformer, Action/Adventure games, Diablo-style game, Kart Racing game) with the similar gameplay styled playsets being unique through very different locations, different focus on mission types and gameplay feeling different (Twilight has a focus on Lightsaber combat, pod racing and exploration/Republic has a focus on hub world mission completing and space battles).

The Toy Box Expansions (Takeover and Raceway) do a lot in making Infinity 3.0 a great package for everyone; you can use all your figures from the entire Infinity line (outside of the Cars ones for Takeover), they are just as long as the normal playsets and they feel very different then the playsets. Hope 4.0 takes this a step further with a greater focus on playsets that allow for characters to cross-over with one another.

Star Wars figures working with every Star Wars set is already as step there and the Toy Box Expansions show promise of that being fully fleshed out, so hope that 4.0 goes wild with this idea :D!

Muppet's and Kingdom Hearts seem to be great IP's to focus on for future Infinity games, so lets see what happens :).
thanks a lot for all of this. :)

Top Bottom