• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

curb

Banned
I know this has been brought up a couple times but it's worth mentioning again. I see a lot of people asking some basic questions about how Disney Infinity works (and rightly so, it's not simple) and the regulars in this thread are really good about answering questions but I see the same info being retyped repeatedly when a lot of it is in the OP. If you're new to Infinity and want some basics, please read the OP as it's very informative. mreddie did a great job laying it all out. If you've still got questions after that then please, ask away.

Also, I've seen the "is this game any good" question asked as well. There's also a review thread that you can check out.

Is the inside out playset less intense than the movie? My little girl is 5 and I haven't let her play video games yet. I was going to wait a couple more years, but the figures are super cute and she keeps asking about the inside out characters when we walk past them in Target. She's too little for the movie, but I suspect she'll do better with the game. I'm going to guess she's still too young for it, but I figured I'd ask.

curb

Banned
Yeah they did. I was very impressed.

It's like they took the best of 1.0 and 2.0 and they had a baby...a huge step up from the sets in 2.0 (which were all pretty weak honestly).

I didn't play 1.0 but I know 2.0 playsets weren't the best games ever made. I'm really happy with what they've done with 3.0. I've said it before in this thread but since Battlefront isn't for me, this is the best Star Wars game this year for me. Probably the best Star Wars game I've played in a long time.

MrBlonde

Sorry if this has been answered but I have never played these games but might be fun for the kids and I. Is the racing something you have to build yourself in Toy Box mode or are there some pre made tracks ready to go? If the racing is anything like Sonic Racing or Mario Kart I would love it and the other stuff would be a bonus.

I did a rough calculation last night as to how much I've spent between 2.0 and 3.0 and you're very right about the pricing.

For me personally:

I was ok with Disney Infinity being a few hundred, you know Rock Band amount of money. However, I priced up all the Marvel and Star Wars items, then the power discs, etc, yea it was pushing near a grand. I can have a lot of non-Disney Infinity fun for a grand.

The statues are cool, the gameplay seems much improved in 3.0, but I just can't justify the cost for what it is. Starting a collection this late in the game is just too prohibitive. Sure the PC is cheaper but you don't get the statues. So strangely I don't want one without the other - it's all or nothing.

Perhaps if I only collected Star Wars items. But then you still need all those power discs from Infinity 1.0-3.0 to do the toybox mode justice. Super Mario Maker got it right. Give you all the tools/costumes for free eventually or you can unlock it early with an Amiibo. The Amiibo is optional.

In the end I just decided to buy other things and video games. My budget has limits after all. I would have prefered more detailed statues ($25 mark) but far less of them to buy with no power discs.

curb

Banned
For me personally:

I was ok with Disney Infinity being a few hundred, you know Rock Band amount of money. However, I priced up all the Marvel and Star Wars items, then the power discs, etc, yea it was pushing near a grand. I can have a lot of non-Disney Infinity fun for a grand.

The statues are cool, the gameplay seems much improved in 3.0, but I just can't justify the cost for what it is. Starting a collection this late in the game is just too prohibitive. Sure the PC is cheaper but you don't get the statues. So strangely I don't want one without the other - it's all or nothing. Perhaps if I only collected Star Wars items. But then you still need all those power discs to do the toybox mode justice. In the end I just decided to buy other video games.

I began with a good deal on the 2.0 Avengers starter bundle and only bought Marvel figures. I certainly don't have them all and it's been over time so it didn't feel like a huge investment. I only have a few more 3.0 characters I want so not being a completionist really helps but yeah, its expensive if you want it all.

Tendo

Im loving twilight so far. Leveling obi wan first. Everything is great but...Mynocks in space. Omg this is the worst...

Why am I doing this to myself.

curb

Banned
Im loving twilight so far. Leveling obi wan first. Everything is great but...Mynocks in space. Omg this is the worst...

Why am I doing this to myself.

The moment I found my first space mynock was when I stopped attempting to find them all.

I began with a good deal on the 2.0 Avengers starter bundle and only bought Marvel figures. I certainly don't have them all and it's been over time so it didn't feel like a huge investment. I only have a few more 3.0 characters I want so not being a completionist really helps but yeah, its expensive if you want it all.

Love that avatar of yours.

Is the inside out playset less intense than the movie? My little girl is 5 and I haven't let her play video games yet. I was going to wait a couple more years, but the figures are super cute and she keeps asking about the inside out characters when we walk past them in Target. She's too little for the movie, but I suspect she'll do better with the game. I'm going to guess she's still too young for it, but I figured I'd ask.

My daughter is 5 as well, and I took her to see the Inside Out movie when it released. I don't think it was really "intense" at all, and my kid had zero issues with it, she liked it a lot. Every kid is different, though.

As to the Inside Out Infinity playset, it's light on story from what I've played. It's just 2D and 3D platforming, nothing particularly inspired gameplay-wise, but not bad either.

RetroMG

So I bought the Saga Bundle for PS4 and opened it yesterday. Pulled out the game and Boba Fett and thought, "How do I play the Original Trilogy?"

This morning, while looking for other stuff, I looked in the box and realized I'd totally missed the giant package inside with Luke and Leia.

I feel dumb.

Tendo

The moment I found my first space mynock was when I stopped attempting to find them all.

I got all 23 on geonosis. I think I'm done. Too much fun stuff to do.

The combat is super fun. I'm playing obi wan right now. Any recs of who to level next?

curb

Banned

The combat is super fun. I'm playing obi wan right now. Any recs of who to level next?

I've only really played with Kenobi and Ahsoka. I'm partial to Ahsoka in general though but I do like the two sabers. I've been bouncing back and forth between her and Luke and she feels fairly different because of that. I'm looking at Yoda next.

Ludist210

Wait, they're in space too? Man...I might attempt to get them all once I'm all done with the play set, but I won't drop everything to do it.

curb

Banned
Wait, they're in space too? Man...I might attempt to get them all once I'm all done with the play set, but I won't drop everything to do it.

Yup, there in space too which seems crazy since those areas are fairly big. If I cared about getting them, I'd find a guide - I ain't got time for that.

Ludist210

Yup, there in space too which seems crazy since those areas are fairly big. If I cared about getting them, I'd find a guide - I ain't got time for that.
Do you just have to fly through them or can you shoot them down? I figured you would have to be pretty far to get in a decent shot...man. But I do like the chase.

I've used everyone that I have except for Ezra (haven't found his coin yet) and I think I prefer the Rebels to the Episode I-III characters because they can actually use guns (and hack). All of the mains are essentially the same character ability-wise.

ghibli99

So I bought the Saga Bundle for PS4 and opened it yesterday. Pulled out the game and Boba Fett and thought, "How do I play the Original Trilogy?"

This morning, while looking for other stuff, I looked in the box and realized I'd totally missed the giant package inside with Luke and Leia.

I feel dumb.
Don't. I got rid of the Twilight of the Republic figures thinking any Star Wars figure would work with that playset from the outset, but found out later that you need to unlock them via champion coins. Probably something I should have known about already, but it still sucked to find out the hard way after the unskippable intro.

curb

Banned
Do you just have to fly through them or can you shoot them down? I figured you would have to be pretty far to get in a decent shot...man. But I do like the chase.

I've used everyone that I have except for Ezra (haven't found his coin yet) and I think I prefer the Rebels to the Episode I-III characters because they can actually use guns (and hack). All of the mains are essentially the same character ability-wise.

I think you can fly through them. I've done that with other vehicles on a planet's surface.

I like the lightsaber/blaster combo a lot. I think the Clone Wars characters work great within those combat scenarios but for other Toy Box related combat, I think the Kanaan, Ezra and Luke have more flexibility. Also, Ezra's coin is under an awning in
Mos Espa
I think.

MrMephistoX

My daughter is 5 as well, and I took her to see the Inside Out movie when it released. I don't think it was really "intense" at all, and my kid had zero issues with it, she liked it a lot. Every kid is different, though.

As to the Inside Out Infinity playset, it's light on story from what I've played. It's just 2D and 3D platforming, nothing particularly inspired gameplay-wise, but not bad either.

My 3 year old loved it too and the toys are her favorite. She basically just watches me play and tells me to do stuff with them as she's a little too young to actually "play" the game...I'm probably a terrible parent by the time I was 5 I'd already seen Robocop and Aliens ;)

mreddie

Sorry if this has been answered but I have never played these games but might be fun for the kids and I. Is the racing something you have to build yourself in Toy Box mode or are there some pre made tracks ready to go? If the racing is anything like Sonic Racing or Mario Kart I would love it and the other stuff would be a bonus.

Yes but there is the Toy Boy Speedway coming in October has 8-9 pre made tracks and stuff for the Toy Box.

WatTsu

Ashoka is probably the most fun in general of all the CW characters and a nice change of pace from Obi-Wan, who is rad but plays like a much slower "broadsword" type fighter. Yoda is also pretty fun if you have him, and anyone with a blaster is fun for the juggle combos.

RobbieNick

Someone made a pretty decent Splatoon level in the Toy Box. The choice of music is horrible though.

Ashoka is probably the most fun in general of all the CW characters and a nice change of pace from Obi-Wan, who is rad but plays like a much slower "broadsword" type fighter. Yoda is also pretty fun if you have him, and anyone with a blaster is fun for the juggle combos.

Agreed she feels the fastest and her dual lightsaber attacks are cool.

Disney was smart in the way they packaged the playsets. You always get one male and one female in every playset. Anakin and Asoka, Luke and Leia, Joy and Anger.

I'm going to get the Wii U version eventually, but perhaps someone can answer a question. Does the Nintendo version of the game have the same resolution and frame issues as the previous installments?

curb

Banned
I just finished the Rise Against the Empire playset and my goodness, those final space battles were fantastic. I honestly feel like they were worth the price of admission right there.

jwk94

Just got the Toybox Takeover. Man, this is really cool I've played the intro, but stopped just after the first cutscene with Syndrome. So is there a way to make the camera like the traditional game or is it all isometric from here?

Effect

I'm going to get the Wii U version eventually, but perhaps someone can answer a question. Does the Nintendo version of the game have the same resolution and frame issues as the previous installments?

Still no answer it seems. There isn't a single Wii U review of the game out there. IGN only bothered looking at the PS4 and XBO versions or those were the ones they were sent. I can only find a preview of 3.0 on NintendoWorldReport. They talk about the frame rate stuttering at points and no mention of the resolution.

I would like to try this but after 1.0 and what I heard about 2.0 I need reports on what this version is like before I put down any money toward it. As it stands now I'm not touching this. I know some here have picked it up but I need more then that when it comes to this. This is the third outing for this franchise and they've botched the first two in my opinion. Right now I'm waiting to see what happens with Lego Dimensions. If Wii U review copies of that game goes out to Nintendo sites then that's the one I'll be picking up (assuming the game as a whole turns out well) at this point even with it being expensive.

Christopher

Ugh

What tips do you guys have in getting the backlog of 1.0 and 2.0.

I have all of 3.0 outside of the no name Star Wars guys

RK128

Ugh

What tips do you guys have in getting the backlog of 1.0 and 2.0.

I have all of 3.0 outside of the no name Star Wars guys

1.0 and 2.0 figures are mostly stocked well; you can find a lot of them brand new for example in GameStops or Wal-Marts.

GameStop also has a lot of them used in good condition. For example, my local gamestop has the 1.0 Starter Playset for six bucks, Mr. Incredible, Ms. Incredible, Lighting McQueen, Holy, Lone Ranger, Sully and Captain Jack Sparrow in good/great condition for 4-16 bucks.

2.0 has a lot of them brand new too.

Unlike Amiibo, Infinity figures are NOT hard to find, so you should be able to find the ones you really want with little issue :). The few rare ones you might have to order online though. Violet, Randy, and the Lone Ranger Playset are part of the 'rare' ones from 1.0. Not sure which is rare in the 2.0 side of the characters.

RK128

Someone made a pretty decent Splatoon level in the Toy Box. The choice of music is horrible though.

Agreed she feels the fastest and her dual lightsaber attacks are cool.

Disney was smart in the way they packaged the playsets. You always get one male and one female in every playset. Anakin and Asoka, Luke and Leia, Joy and Anger.

They did that with 2.0 too (Iron Man and Black Widow for example) with the only exception being the Spider-Man playset (you can't play as White Tyger for some stupid reason...).

Even 1.0 did this with the Cars and Toy Story Playsets.

Disney are smart about that, so I agree :D.

Yes but there is the Toy Boy Speedway coming in October has 8-9 pre made tracks and stuff for the Toy Box.

I swear they are more then 8-9 track; we don't know the rest of them due to a few of them (likely?) being locked to other modes not announced yet and/or not finished yet (so more tracks might be on the way).

Sumo Digital are great track designers, so I hope they make more then 8-9 tracks. They could make more and add them to the Toy Box via upload over time too, so theirs that as well :D.

mreddie

I swear they are more then 8-9 track; we don't know the rest of them due to a few of them (likely?) being locked to other modes not announced yet and/or not finished yet (so more tracks might be on the way).

Sumo Digital are great track designers, so I hope they make more then 8-9 tracks. They could make more and add them to the Toy Box via upload over time too, so theirs that as well :D.

Okay, checking up, yeah, it's 8-9 tracks. Again, I hope they do more.

RK128

Okay, checking up, yeah, it's 8-9 tracks. Again, I hope they do more.

That is a shame :(. But considering this is only 20 bucks, that isn't too bad honestly.

Still, I guess they figure that a handful of Toy Box tracks could fill the gap (as the important part, the racing mechanics are hard-coded in the game), so there's that too :l.

Thanks for the confirmation through mreddie :).

MrMephistoX

That is a shame :(. But considering this is only 20 bucks, that isn't too bad honestly.

Still, I guess they figure that a handful of Toy Box tracks could fill the gap (as the important part, the racing mechanics are hard-coded in the game), so there's that too :l.

Thanks for the confirmation through mreddie :).

I just hope it unlocks better track editing tools...that brief glimpse in the intro was better than any tracks I've seen made in toybox so if you can edit to that level of detail it would be awesome. I'm hoping you can theoretically create all of Sugar Rush for example.

So is the Toy Box Takeover readily available?
I havent been following the typical, retarded Infinity release schedule but I saw video of it and want it now!

fernoca

Around here, Gamestop and TRU had Takeover since launch. Guess not many preordered..or something.

Today brought Bobba Fett and all the Star Wars/Rebels exclusives. Really liked playing as Ezra and Kanan. Liked also how Fett's lasers sound like the ones in the original movies.

RobbieNick

The Toy Boxes feel like you can add more this time around. I made a Tatooine Toy Box just for farming, and managed to add two racing tracks (one kart, one podracing) and a fly through hoops challenge and plan to add more!

Aw crap! I put all the weapons down on the track and set the logic to them all and started a test race and the game crashed on me. XP At least I didn't lose too much.

EDIT: Autosave! Sweet! I lost nothing.

Ludist210

Finally unlocked Ezra and popped him on the base...all eight of the SW figures that I own are in the Hall of Galactic Heroes, and now I get a 54% EXP boost (thanks to Tinkerbell and Elsa, plus Mickey and Quorra). Everyone levels really quickly now.

Stanng243

Finally unlocked Ezra and popped him on the base...all eight of the SW figures that I own are in the Hall of Galactic Heroes, and now I get a 54% EXP boost (thanks to Tinkerbell and Elsa, plus Mickey and Quorra). Everyone levels really quickly now.

How do you tell what EXP boost you are getting? I've got most of the 1.0 and 2.0 characters in.

curb

Banned
How do you tell what EXP boost you are getting? I've got most of the 1.0 and 2.0 characters in.

I forget what the menu option is called but on the collection screen that shows all the figures you've used, there is a percentage indicating your XP boost.

Stanng243

I forget what the menu option is called but on the collection screen that shows all the figures you've used, there is a percentage indicating your XP boost.

Thank you. I'll have to check that out. It may explain why my leveling was so fast.

curb

Banned
Thank you. I'll have to check that out. It may explain why my leveling was so fast.

I was pleasantly surprised to find I was leveling really quick and that's due to doubling the number of figures I have with 3.0. It's a nice benefit to having shelled out for these figures.

Muppet345

So is all of the Toy Box content you can see at the start of the game all that's in the game? Other than stuff that's behind a lock. I'm a little underwhelmed, particularly with the lack of enemies ... some series like Wreck-it Ralph have a lot of content, but there aren't any cy-bug enemies, for example.

Also really wish they'd at least given the 1.0 characters special attacks.

Stanng243

So is all of the Toy Box content you can see at the start of the game all that's in the game? Other than stuff that's behind a lock. I'm a little underwhelmed, particularly with the lack of enemies ... some series like Wreck-it Ralph have a lot of content, but there aren't any cy-bug enemies, for example.

If you have earlier playsets, or toy box discs, put them on the portal for 3.0 and they unlock items.

Hex

Banned

Also the more feats that you finish the more the toy box hub grows, quite literally.

Isomac

So I noticed the digital upgrade is 19.99€ on PS4 and 29.99€ on Xbox one. Why is that? I have thought about getting the 2.0 set, since those are cheaper and then upgrade sometime later. I also want more Ironman, Thor and Blackwidow figurines than those Star Wars starter pack ones.

Top Bottom