• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

fernoca

To avoid doubts... :p

-Yes, playsets are short campaigns with their own story on which you play as the characters from the world (can't mix and match, outside the ones you fond coins around).

-Nope, you can't play 1.0 or 2.0 playsets in 3.0. You need the respective games to do so.

16BitNova

Thanks guys. I've been watching tons of reviews and trailers and this all looks so fun. I didn't expect gameplay to look that good either. Can't wait.

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
ok so I got a couple questions.

1. I Installed Disney Infinity on steam, bought the 3 star wars playsets,(twilight, empire & Awakens) also got some physical figures. (redeemed the codes on disney infinity website and now its linked to account).
If i want to buy the psn install, on ps4, would I need to get new codes for the characters?would they be linked to disney account?Or do I need hte physical playset.

2. in playing the same game on console, aside of having to buy the app, what else would I need to do?

reason i wana try it on ps4 is the co op/

fernoca

ok so I got a couple questions.

1. I Installed Disney Infinity on steam, bought the 3 star wars playsets,(twilight, empire & Awakens) also got some physical figures. (redeemed the codes on disney infinity website and now its linked to account).
If i want to buy the psn install, on ps4, would I need to get new codes for the characters?would they be linked to disney account?Or do I need hte physical playset.

2. in playing the same game on console, aside of having to buy the app, what else would I need to do?

reason i wana try it on ps4 is the co op/
1. Digital purchases on PC are PC only. So, while they are linked (site tracks stats, info, playtime), you still need the USB, figure and playsets on consoles; even on the digital console version.

2. USB base, one character per player on the base, 2 controllers and the playset of said characters if you want to play the coop stories. For anything Toybox related, just the 2 figures in the USB base.

So, basically the Starter Pack. :p

EDIT:
If you have the actual Star Wars playsets (ie. 2 figures each, 1 playset each), you still need the USB base (can be acquired used on Gamestop. Since you have a PS4 you can get any except the Xbox bases).

And you'll need the game per se, which digitally is $20.

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
1. Digital purchases on PC are PC only. So, while they are linked (site tracks stats, info, playtime), you still need the USB, figure and playsets on consoles; even on the digital console version.

2. USB base, one character per player on the base, 2 controllers and the playset of said characters if you want to play the coop stories. For anything Toybox related, just the 2 figures in the USB base.

So, basically the Starter Pack. :p

EDIT:
If you have the actual Star Wars playsets (ie. 2 figures each, 1 playset each), you still need the USB base (can be acquired used on Gamestop. Since you have a PS4 you can get any except the Xbox bases).

And you'll need the game per se, which digitally is $20.

Thanks for the info man. Think I will stick with PC, just wish it had a co op option. This game screams co op.

I got this game again for Christmas. Playing it on the PS4 after not being very impressed with it on the Wii U.

I love it so far! Such a great improvement in graphics, load times, and frame rate. I still need to do lots more exploring, but I'm really hoping to get lots out of this.

I also got figures for Kylo Ren and Poe, both of which are absolutely beautiful and I can't wait to play as either one. For people who play this game often, what are some things you like to do in order to pass the time? I hardly see fans mention what toy boxes they think are really worth playing, when I had the initial thought that would be a big part of the game. I'm more of a player than a builder so I don't know if I see myself crafting things in the toybox very often. I will definitely use the Play Sets however.

I've just been playing the Play Sets but I so on the extreme difficulty level so I get a decent amount of play time from each one. I've also got Toy Box Takeover, the dungeon crawler, to play as well.

I don't build levels in toy box per se but I spend a lot of time just world building and messing around with friends. It's actually the main thing I enjoy about the game. I think the playsets are mostly ok. I prefer Takeover to them.

curb

Banned
I love the thing that gets added to the Toy Box Hub after finishing the Force Awakens playset. TFA spoiler:
Rey's AT-AT

I've been trying so hard to get the Vanellope sidekick. Answering countless trivia questions, but not getting the one that I need. Is there maybe a better way to go about this or am I just stuck running back and forth until I get what I need?

I've been trying so hard to get the Vanellope sidekick. Answering countless trivia questions, but not getting the one that I need. Is there maybe a better way to go about this or am I just stuck running back and forth until I get what I need?
Is her unlock tied to the trivia questions? I have her unlocked apparently but don't remember doing a lot of those.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
so the $15 Disney Infinity game on sale on PS4 is basically nothing without a pad and a playset to put on it, right?

curb

Banned
so the $15 Disney Infinity game on sale on PS4 is basically nothing without a pad and a playset to put on it, right?

You need at least the base and a figure for the toy box mode and yes, you'd need a playset to actually play one of the games.

witness

Do you guys recommend the star wars power disc packs? For $5 a piece I'm considering them. Might get toybox takeover while I'm at it

fernoca

Do you guys recommend the star wars power disc packs? For $5 a piece I'm considering them. Might get toybox takeover while I'm at it
Takeover definetely.
The power discs, only the ones for Rise Against the Empire and The Force Awakens, since those includes alternate costumes for Luke, Leia, Finn and Poe too. But TFA is not $5 at the moment.

i haven't played an Infinity game before, but i just played through The Force Awakens play set and boy was i underwhelmed

the game looks and feels real nice, but even with doing a lot of side missions and challenges it totally just breezed by and i didn't even really feel like i did anything. kinda bummed, tbh

MrMephistoX

i haven't played an Infinity game before, but i just played through The Force Awakens play set and boy was i underwhelmed

the game looks and feels real nice, but even with doing a lot of side missions and challenges it totally just breezed by and i didn't even really feel like i did anything. kinda bummed, tbh

Set the difficulty higher...I play on extreme since the lower difficulties seem geared to youngsters: Toybox Speedway being the big exception.

Durden77

So I'm probably going to make the worst desicion of my life and get this today. I'm confused on how it works though. I want the Star Wars stuff and my girlfriend wants the Disney stuff. If I buy her a Disney figure, can she play the Star Wars stuff with me?

So I'm probably going to make the worst desicion of my life and get this today. I'm confused on how it works though. I want the Star Wars stuff and my girlfriend wants the Disney stuff. If I buy her a Disney figure, can she play the Star Wars stuff with me?

Playsets (think story mode) are only playable by characters from that playset (i.e. Only Inside Out characters can play Inside Out playset, only Star Wars playsets can play the SW playsets.
There are also the ToyBox mode (world builder, even if you do not like to build stuff you can download other people's creations) which ca be played by any character and ToyBox games, like Takeover, which can also be played by any character.

Durden77

Playsets (think story mode) are only playable by characters from that playset (i.e. Only Inside Out characters can play Inside Out playset, only Star Wars playsets can play the SW playsets.
There are also the ToyBox mode (world builder, even if you do not like to build stuff you can download other people's creations) which ca be played by any character and ToyBox games, like Takeover, which can also be played by any character.

Ok cool appreciate it. I wish that all characters were avaliable in each play set. Or at least like the Lego games where they are after you beat the level.

Is the Toy Box really fun? Worth it on it's own? That's probably where we'll spend most of our time then.

Milly79

Takeover definetely.
The power discs, only the ones for Rise Against the Empire and The Force Awakens, since those includes alternate costumes for Luke, Leia, Finn and Poe too. But TFA is not $5 at the moment.

It's $5 today at Amazon and GameStop.

Target would do BOGO 50% off after I bought 3 last week. :/

It fits with how everything works in that system but that doesn't make it any less annoying. I have a few power discs but I never use them.
The worst thing is having to put down sky and terrain discs every session. It doesn't remember or care that you already have decorations associated with the discs already placed in a toy box. Super annoying.

Tossing up between going PC or PS4. I don't really care for the figures that much, but are some characters exclusive to console? It doesn't look like steam has Boba Fett or Darth Maul, which are two characters I would be after. Do I have to get a console version to play as those characters?

KC Denton

Tossing up between going PC or PS4. I don't really care for the figures that much, but are some characters exclusive to console? It doesn't look like steam has Boba Fett or Darth Maul, which are two characters I would be after. Do I have to get a console version to play as those characters?

If I recall correctly, it will just take a while for those characters to go to non-Playstation platforms such as PC. Could have sworn Darth Maul should be available by now or maybe I'm misremembering a press release.

Steam doesn't seem to have all the characters but you can get more if you launch the game and check out the in-game purchases. You can also redeem the codes that come with that actual figures to unlock characters like Darth Maul. Some people sell their codes on eBay duo it might be cheaper to buy them from there if you don't want the figure. Fett is exclusive to the PS4 Saga bundle but he will eventually be available separately.

Steam doesn't seem to have all the characters but you can get more if you launch the game and check out the in-game purchases. You can also redeem the codes that come with that actual figures to unlock characters like Darth Maul. Some people sell their codes on eBay duo it might be cheaper to buy them from there if you don't want the figure. Fett is exclusive to the PS4 Saga bundle but he will eventually be available separately.

Oh ok, as long as I can fill in the gaps by buying physical figures that should be fine. Do you know how the game runs on PC compared to current gen consoles (assuming a very capable PC)? Any advantages/disadvantages to the PC version I should know about before taking the plunge?

I found that controlling the camera with the right analog stick on my 360 controller on PC was a bit slow so I use keyboard and mouse controls mapped to a Steam Controller. I much prefer this to the PS4 version but you might want to download the free Steam version to test it for yourself.

I just got the digital version on ps4 for $14.99, because why not? I already have my wii U base, and just need to get the playsets as cheap as possible. I've got a bunch of marvel 2.0 characters hanging around, will be handy for when the battleground playset drops. I just saw a video for that yesterday, kind of looks like Powerstone with Marvel characters?

Oh, shameless plug, and this is also posted in the buy/trade thread, but I have some codes for marvel 2.0 to sell if anyone is interested: Thor, Iron Man, Widow, Cap, Hulk, Rocket, Loki, Venom.

Edit: any word on Kylo Ren and Maul getting light-fx versions?

curb

Banned
The prevailing opinion is that they won't get FX versions because there isn't enough power to light up their lightsabers. Ahsoka has the same problem.

I get Ahsoka (unfortunately) and Maul but I don't see why they couldn't get Kylo Ren to work, even if the little cross blades didn't light up.

Oh, that sucks. I want light fx luke but if I get the playset, that's going to come with Luke already. I'm guessing/hoping the rise playset piece is cheap to buy separately...

Kouichi

So I've never played DI, but a friend bought me the Kylo Ren figurine for Christmas and now I'm considering buying the PS4 version digitally. I also want to buy a base and the Darth Maul and Rocket Raccoon figures to use in Toy Box mode.

So now knowing all this, how much fun could I have in Toy Box mode and how exactly does it work? Is it like LittleBigPlanet where I could play other people's creation but with the figurines I've bought? Is it worth getting if I don't have any play sets?

curb

Banned
So now knowing all this, how much fun could I have in Toy Box mode and how exactly does it work? Is it like LittleBigPlanet where I could play other people's creation but with the figurines I've bought? Is it worth getting if I don't have any play sets?

It's a lot like LBP but with perhaps a tiny bit more curation. I can usually find decent stuff to play and lots of Star Wars stuff which I'm into. The creation tools are fun too.

Full price for just the Toy Box? No. Half price, maybe.

So I've never played DI, but a friend bought me the Kylo Ren figurine for Christmas and now I'm considering buying the PS4 version digitally.

I would suggest you make that decision quickly. The game was selling for $14.99 digitally this past weekend, it's $19.99 right now and set to jump to $29.99 January 1st. They've been running that early purchase( Sept to Dec) promotion for 2 years in a row.

Top Bottom