• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

fernoca

There's some stuff in this game that seems clunky when it shouldn't be unless I'm missing something. Like if I have a playset on the base I can't go into a standard toy box from the hub. And I can't access the community stuff from the hub and the menus for them aren't great.

Pretty much everything should be accessible from the hub. It's a fun place and it's lame have to go out into the main menu for certain things.
You can though...
-If you want to go to the playset, go to the center/base were the ray of light is. You enter and will be asked if you want to go to the playset, continue in the hub or quit to the main menu.

-To access community content, you go to the theater. You can individually choose Toy Boxes to download by checking the movie posters, or browse everything by talking to the host.

-To play multiplayer, you visit Flynn's Arcade.

The only one I'm not sure is to the area to create Toy Boxes in the hub or if there's any. Know that 1.0 had one for sure.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I want to jump in this due to Star Wars naturally, and I heard nothing but good things.

This will be my first foray in the Infinity series.

I was looking at the compatibility pic. So characters and those power disc things are compatible from 1.0 to 3.0, but the playsets/toybox are not, and only can be played in their respected series (1.0 playsets/toybox only in 1.0, 2.0 only in 2.0, etc)?

Am I correct in this assumption?

Or are they evolved in the newer ones, so if you use a 1.0 character, you can still play their story arc in 3.0?

I am trying to understand this before I head to the store, lol.

Durden77

You can though...
-If you want to go to the playset, go to the center/base were the ray of light is. You enter and will be asked if you want to go to the playset, continue in the hub or quit to the main menu.

-To access community content, you go to the theater. You can individually choose Toy Boxes to download by checking the movie posters, or browse everything by talking to the host.

-To play multiplayer, you visit Flynn's Arcade.

The only one I'm not sure is to the area to create Toy Boxes in the hub or if there's any. Know that 1.0 had one for sure.

Oh sweet, I didn't know that about the theater, haven't been in there yet. I figured it was just for Toy Box TV or whatever.

And yeah there is a way to get to Toy Box creation in the hub, you just can't if you have a playset piece on the base. It's annoying. You go to the same ray of light in the middle and if you don't have a playset piece on it will ask you to go to the Toy Box. But if you do have a playset piece on, it will only give you the 3 options you listed. Seems weird that they couldn't just give you the option to go to the Toy Box too.

I want to jump in this due to Star Wars naturally, and I heard nothing but good things.

This will be my first foray in the Infinity series.

I was looking at the compatibility pic. So characters and those power disc things are compatible from 1.0 to 3.0, but the playsets/toybox are not, and only can be played in their respected series (1.0 playsets/toybox only in 1.0, 2.0 only in 2.0, etc)?

Am I correct in this assumption?

Or are they evolved in the newer ones, so if you use a 1.0 character, you can still play their story arc in 3.0?

I am trying to understand this before I head to the store, lol.

I belive this is all correct. Everything works in 3.0 except for playsets. Each character does not get their own story arc as far as I can tell. They're either usable in their respective playsets, (all of the Star Wars characters work in all 3 Star Wars playsets, Inside Out characters work in their playset), or just in Toy Box and Toy Box games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I belive this is all correct. Everything works in 3.0 except for playsets. Each character does not get their own story arc as far as I can tell. They're either usable in their respective playsets, (all of the Star Wars characters work in all 3 Star Wars playsets, Inside Out characters work in their playset), or just in Toy Box and Toy Box games.

Ok, so new characters you buy, are just "skins"? Like if I buy Kylo Ren, and it said in the description "wreak havoc with The Order"... what does that mean? His own arc? Or you can use his "perspective" in the playset?

And in order to play the Marvel stuff then, I would have to hunt down a 2.0 version of the game then? Since the "playsets" are the "story arcs"?

Sorry for all the questions, trying to grasp all the differences, lol.

Durden77

Ok, so new characters you buy, are just "skins"? Like if I buy Kylo Ren, and it said in the description "wreak havoc with The Order"... what does that mean? His own arc? Or you can use his "perspective" in the playset?

And in order to play the Marvel stuff then, I would have to hunt down a 2.0 version of the game then? Since the "playsets" are the "story arcs"?

Sorry for all the questions, trying to grasp all the differences, lol.

In a way, yes they are just skins. If you play as Kylo-Ren in a Star Wars playset, there will be no reference to show that you are playing him. You just continue the same missions. But each one have their own attacks and traits. For instance, Kylo-Ren plays surprisingly different from Darth Vader once you level them up. As far as I know once again, there is no pre-built specific "arc" for each character although that would be an awesome idea. But often times there are good community made "story" levels for characters that can only be played by them.

And yes, the Marvel 2.0 playsets are only playable in 2.0. You can use the Marvel characters in the Toy Box, Toy Box games, (I recommend Toy Box Takeover, a dungeon crawly type thing that you can use any character in), or community levels unless specified in the level. There is also a Marvel 3.0 playset that is coming soon.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
In a way, yes they are just skins. If you play as Kylo-Ren in a Star Wars playset, there will be no reference to show that you are playing him. You just continue the same missions. But each one have their own attacks and traits. For instance, Kylo-Ren plays surprisingly different from Darth Vader once you level them up. As far as I know once again, there is no pre-built specific "arc" for each character although that would be an awesome idea. But often times there are good community made "story" levels for characters that can only be played by them.

And yes, the Marvel 2.0 playsets are only playable in 2.0. You can use the Marvel characters in the Toy Box, Toy Box games, (I recommend Toy Box Takeover, a dungeon crawly type thing that you can use any character in), or community levels unless specified in the level. There is also a Marvel 3.0 playset that is coming soon.

Gotcha, that clears it up a bit more.

So none of the characters have any voice acting really in the playset? Like with Anakin and Ahsoka that come with the starter pack for Twilight playset?

I assume the power discs are like add-ons, like vehicles, levels for toybox, companions, etc?

And if I download it from PSN, I will obviously not have the playsets, but the toybox modes, do they sell the playset bases separately? I see they did not come with the separate playsets, only seen them in the starter and saga packs.

MrMephistoX

Really? I've seen the physical sets for Apple TV at an Apple store the other day. That'd be interesting if both were allowed.

Just tested it; on the menu there's an option for Base and Digital Mode.

As far as I can tell you can't use the cards but you can purchase plays sets and characters digitally in a separate shop that doesn't exist on console.

ngower

Alright yall, about to bite on the SW set(s), but just one quick question: the base I have would be good for future games, but I'd just need to get the new game itself if, right? I won't have to get a new base to be compatible with 4.0 figures, will I?

Alright yall, about to bite on the SW set(s), but just one quick question: the base I have would be good for future games, but I'd just need to get the new game itself if, right? I won't have to get a new base to be compatible with 4.0 figures, will I?

Probably not. DI is using the same base since version 1.0.

fernoca

Should be good, but not perfect.

I still have and use the 1.0 base, but those use less energy and as a result, the character take a few more seconds to appear in the new games and the Light FX variants doesn't stay on.

No biggie still.

witness

I feel like an idiot for just now trying out the block breaking combos after having this for a few weeks. They are a spectacle for Kylo and Darth Maul. Absolutely love those animations. Kylo is such a great character and has a very addictive rotation. His AoE finisher is fantastic. Easily my favorite to play as and the voice acting by Adam is perfect.

Neo Member
Just ordered all the Star Wars Rebels characters (Ezra, Zeb, Sabine and Kanan) mainly due to them being dirt cheap on Amazon. Are they any good? I like how they look also massive fan of the show

Might pick up some playsets with my next paycheck

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What would be the better route...

Get the game digitally then buy the SW playsets with the base?

Or just the playsets since it includes the game?

This game with all it's digital add ons almost makes me want to have it digital so I do not have to insert a disc for it.

Spider-Man Playset (hard to find) Deals:

Ebay/ Toys R Us (store pick up only) here $15

Overstock here $18.36 plus shipping

Disney 2.0 figures are still going for $5.60 at Target and Best Buy. YMMV

Most playsets for 3.0 are $10 off.

How is the Spider-Man playset? I just bought the Guardians of the Galaxy playset (Which was 12.99 on Disneystore.com) so I'm looking to buy a cheap 2.0 disc now for that.

For that matters, is the Avengers playset fun too? Maybe it'd be better to just find a cheap starter kit then.

What would be the better route...

Get the game digitally then buy the SW playsets with the base?

Or just the playsets since it includes the game?

This game with all it's digital add ons almost makes me want to have it digital so I do not have to insert a disc for it.

So it sounds like you don't have the portal yet? I'd go for the Starter kit then. It's 40 bucks in many places, 31.99 after GCU at best buy.

Of course, you need the portal to play. Otherwise you'd spent 20 on the digital game (or 15 on XBL right now) 24.99 for each playset while it's currently on sale, and you'd still need to buy a used portal somewhere.

The Old Republic playset is pretty fun, and I'm not even a huge fan of the Clone Wars tv show. Really enjoying the Rise of the Empire playset before I move on to the Force Awakens one.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So it sounds like you don't have the portal yet? I'd go for the Starter kit then. It's 40 bucks in many places, 31.99 after GCU at best buy.

Of course, you need the portal to play. Otherwise you'd spent 20 on the digital game (or 15 on XBL right now) 24.99 for each playset while it's currently on sale, and you'd still need to buy a used portal somewhere.

The Old Republic playset is pretty fun, and I'm not even a huge fan of the Clone Wars tv show. Really enjoying the Rise of the Empire playset before I move on to the Force Awakens one.

Ok, sounds like the most logical. You meant the Twilight of the Republic (prequel clone wars) not Old Republic, right? You got me all excited that they made a Old Republic one from the KOTOR days, hahaha.

Ok, sounds like the most logical. You meant the Twilight of the Republic (prequel clone wars) not Old Republic, right? You got me all excited that they made a Old Republic one from the KOTOR days, hahaha.

Dammit, sorry. lol. That typo alone shows you how much I follow the Clone Wars TV show. haha. Anyways, yes, it's still fun, and collecting the Hero tokens to play as Luke and Vader are fun in it.

I'm enjoying the Star Wars content far more than I thought I would with Disney Infinity. So for 40, (or less if you have GCU, and buy it quick since it's on sale this week) is a really nice buy, then I recommend the other two SW playsets.

El_Cinefilo

How is the Spider-Man playset? I just bought the Guardians of the Galaxy playset (Which was 12.99 on Disneystore.com) so I'm looking to buy a cheap 2.0 disc now for that.

For that matters, is the Avengers playset fun too? Maybe it'd be better to just find a cheap starter kit then.

I have Guardians of the galaxy set but haven't played it yet. I've played the Avengers one and part of the Spider-Man one and they're fun. The 3.0 playsets are much better but I think the 2.0 sets are probably still worth your time.

I don't know how the prices are in the U.S but if you're remotely interested in the 2.0 disc you would best off just getting the 2.0 starter pack. I got the avengers one on 360 (With the base, game, Avengers playset, a couple of Toy Box games and Iron Man, Thor and Black Widow) for £12.99 and the Dinsey Starter pack on PS4 (with the base, game, a couple of toy box games and Stitch and Merida) for £9

WatTsu

Guardians is the best of the three. Spider-Man and Avengers feel kinda dull, but they're not outright bad. I wouldn't pay a lot for either of them though.

Thanks for the input, fellas! More interested in the Spidey set than Avengers. I can download the 2.0 for $14.99 on PSN right now. Already have Stitch and Merida or I'd consider the Toy Box starter set, but already have a portal, and not too crazy about the Avengers set, so I'll probably go that route.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dammit, sorry. lol. That typo alone shows you how much I follow the Clone Wars TV show. haha. Anyways, yes, it's still fun, and collecting the Hero tokens to play as Luke and Vader are fun in it.

I'm enjoying the Star Wars content far more than I thought I would with Disney Infinity. So for 40, (or less if you have GCU, and buy it quick since it's on sale this week) is a really nice buy, then I recommend the other two SW playsets.

What do you mean "tokens"? Are these in game, or you mean the figures you buy in store?

I have Guardians of the galaxy set but haven't played it yet. I've played the Avengers one and part of the Spider-Man one and they're fun. The 3.0 playsets are much better but I think the 2.0 sets are probably still worth your time.

I don't know how the prices are in the U.S but if you're remotely interested in the 2.0 disc you would best off just getting the 2.0 starter pack. I got the avengers one on 360 (With the base, game, Avengers playset, a couple of Toy Box games and Iron Man, Thor and Black Widow) for £12.99 and the Dinsey Starter pack on PS4 (with the base, game, a couple of toy box games and Stitch and Merida) for £9

Guardians is the best of the three. Spider-Man and Avengers feel kinda dull, but they're not outright bad. I wouldn't pay a lot for either of them though.

Thanks for the feedback on this as well.

WatTsu

Yep, in game! They're floating like power-ups, and it let's you use Star Wars characters from different time periods in the other one's Playset. Pretty cool stuff!

This is one way in which 3.0 is way better than 2.0 - the Marvel sets forced you to collect ten coins each to play a character in that playset, and even then you were limited in what choice of characters you had.

The Star Wars sets just want you to find one (usually pretty easy) coin, and you can use all the Star Wars characters.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yep, in game! They're floating like power-ups, and it let's you use Star Wars characters from different time periods in the other one's Playset. Pretty cool stuff!

This is one way in which 3.0 is way better than 2.0 - the Marvel sets forced you to collect ten coins each to play a character in that playset, and even then you were limited in what choice of characters you had.

The Star Wars sets just want you to find one (usually pretty easy) coin, and you can use all the Star Wars characters.

I gotcha, that is pretty cool.

So the one's you buy in store, they come with more things attached to them, like moves and specials? And I assume you can use them in the playsets from the start, and obviously toyboxes?

ngower

kRh8CaD.jpg

I have succumb to the power of the dark side...

[EDIT] We're off to a great start: I can't log into my Disney account, despite having reset my password a few times to make sure I know what it is...this is really damn obnoxious. Is this a known problem?

WatTsu

I gotcha, that is pretty cool.

So the one's you buy in store, they come with more things attached to them, like moves and specials? And I assume you can use them in the playsets from the start, and obviously toyboxes?

Each figure has a complete skill tree with different unlockable perks and abilities. You can use all figures in (mostly) all Toyboxes (depending on whether or not the creator of the Toybox has limited certain figures, apparently).

Certain figures are playable from the start in the playsets and others need champion coins. Off the top of my head these figures are playable from the start in these sets:

Twilight of the Republic
Anakin
Ashoka
Obi-Wan
Yoda

Rise Against the Empire
Luke
Leia
Han
Chewie

Force Awakens
Rey
Finn
Poe

Darth Maul, Darth Vader, Kylo Ren, and the Rebels characters all need coins regardless of which set.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Each figure has a complete skill tree with different unlockable perks and abilities. You can use all figures in (mostly) all Toyboxes (depending on whether or not the creator of the Toybox has limited certain figures, apparently).

Certain figures are playable from the start in the playsets and others need champion coins. Off the top of my head these figures are playable from the start in these sets:

Twilight of the Republic
Anakin
Ashoka
Obi-Wan
Yoda

Rise Against the Empire
Luke
Leia
Han
Chewie

Force Awakens
Rey
Finn
Poe

Darth Maul, Darth Vader, Kylo Ren, and the Rebels characters all need coins regardless of which set.

Gotcha. So using Luke or Vader in Twilight is via a coin pickup and not the figurine? And Kylo I suppose would be a coin pickup, and you cannot use his figurine for the playset since it has a hero arc I assume?

Also, the power discs you can purchase are like add-ons, like vehicles, levels for toybox, companions, etc? Since I noticed a Mace Windu one, so I assume it is for either a companion you can call on, since I do not believe he has a figurine?

Gotcha. So using Luke or Vader in Twilight is via a coin pickup and not the figurine? And Kylo I suppose would be a coin pickup, and you cannot use his figurine for the playset since it has a hero arc I assume?

Also, the power discs you can purchase are like add-ons, like vehicles, levels for toybox, companions, etc? Since I noticed a Mace Windu one, so I assume it is for either a companion you can call on, since I do not believe he has a figurine?

You need to collect the coin before it allows the character to appear on the screen via the figure on the portal. So for Kylo, you'd need to have bought the figure, but collect his coin with one of the regular characters. Doesn't matter Heroes or not.

Oh, and the Obi-wan coin for Rise against the Empire is like, almost literally at the beginning of the set, so it's been fun using him too :D

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You need to collect the coin before it allows the character to appear on the screen via the figure on the portal. So for Kylo, you'd need to have bought the figure, but collect his coin with one of the regular characters. Doesn't matter Heroes or not.

Oh, and the Obi-wan coin for Rise against the Empire is like, almost literally at the beginning of the set, so it's been fun using him too :D

So the coin is useless without the figure. Gotcha! I think I am jumping in tomorrow before the Best Buy sale ends. Thanks!

So far I have the starter set, the force awakens play set, Yoda and Kenobi. I'm so tempted by the Star Wars Rebels characters. Too bad there isn't a Rebels play set.

tfur

What functionality would I have, if I bought the ReckiT Ralf and Venelope game toy play set. I only have the 3.0 PS4 system and Star Wars hubs and expansions etc.

I can get the toy models in right? Anything else?

Thanks.

What functionality would I have, if I bought the ReckiT Ralf and Venelope game toy play set. I only have the 3.0 PS4 system and Star Wars hubs and expansions etc.

I can get the toy models in right? Anything else?

Thanks.

If you're talking about the Wreck-it-Ralph bundle, it doesn't come with a playset. It comes with both figures and two hexagonal power discs. The discs theme your toy box to look like Sugar Rush. One is for the skydome and the other is for terrain. Everything in that bundle is compatible with the 3.0 toy box.

tfur

If you're talking about the Wreck-it-Ralph bundle, it doesn't come with a playset. It comes with both figures and two hexagonal power discs. The discs theme your toy box to look like Sugar Rush. One is for the skydome and the other is for terrain. Everything in that bundle is compatible with the 3.0 toy box.

Thank you for the speedy reply!

I guess I did indeed mean the power disc box. I will be adding that bundle to my collection. Thanks again.

funcojoe

This is going to sound like a stupid question but how do I get to the level editor? I have 3.0 starter kit, and a spot figure. I understand the concept of the hub toy box with all the tutorials but what if I want to just edit a map?

fernoca

This is going to sound like a stupid question but how do I get to the level editor? I have 3.0 starter kit, and a spot figure. I understand the concept of the hub toy box with all the tutorials but what if I want to just edit a map?
On the main menu/title screen, go to Toy Box and choose to create a new Toy Box (not the Toy Box hub).

ngower

So, what are the power discs for? Digging the game so far and want to get more and more figures...but the power discs just seem kind of silly. Do they have a purpose?

Side note: is there a recommended place to sell the PC codes?

fernoca

So, what are the power discs for? Digging the game so far and want to get more and more figures...but the power discs just seem kind of silly. Do they have a purpose?

Side note: is there a recommended place to sell the PC codes?
Power Discs vary.
-Some are alternate costumes
-Some are special attacks
-Some are team-mates
That can be used across any mode.

Others just change ths terrain or background in the Toy Box mode.

As for selling codes, you could either try in here for added exposure along the Buy/Sell thread; or eBay.

//ARCANUM

I'm kinda bummed they didn't make a Rebels playlet. Would really love to play with those characters in that world. I'm guessing we won't get another SW playset in 3.0... what do you think the chances are for a Rebels set in 4.0? Also, what do y'all think will be their main "theme" for 4.0? Will they just go back to Marvel? Or will they just do a big mess of everything?

I'm kinda bummed they didn't make a Rebels playlet. Would really love to play with those characters in that world. I'm guessing we won't get another SW playset in 3.0... what do you think the chances are for a Rebels set in 4.0? Also, what do y'all think will be their main "theme" for 4.0? Will they just go back to Marvel? Or will they just do a big mess of everything?

Playsets have pack-in figures, and the major Rebels hitters have already been made, so I think that (star)ship has sailed.

I feel like 4.0 will be Classic Disney-focused, but that's just wild speculation, and perhaps wishful thinking on my part.

How many more playsets would you guess are still to come for 3.0? I'm new to Infinity with this release and have no idea how much more support beyond Marvel Battlegrounds we can expect.

All I know for sure is a Peter Pan fig.

fernoca

I'd say that they'll probably rename it a bit, instead of Disney Infinity 4.0 to something more...universal, or just to Disney Infinity Toy Box Invasion.

Since they already used their main feachices as marketing focuses for the first 3.

So something more akin to Toy Box Takeover, on a bigger scale (which is what Skylanders is anyway), while still releasing specific playsets based on this years offerings like Finding Dory (Pixar), Doctor Strange (Marvel) and A Rogue One (Star Wars).

Though one focused of classic Disney would be great.

How many more playsets would you guess are still to come for 3.0? I'm new to Infinity with this release and have no idea how much more support beyond Marvel Battlegrounds we can expect.

All I know for sure is a Peter Pan fig.
New figures for sure and maybe some Toy Box expansions, but no new playsets are expected. Is part of why Battlegrounds is releasing this year.

Top Bottom