• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

profit

Any people that are new to DOTA2, interested in doing a game tonight? I'd be up for it in about half an hour. Let's have some fun!

ink4n3

they used to open styles for your compendium smeevil.
Just open compendium and look for the change style.

I got a few treats and whatnot for my smeevil....Is it a one time change or as long as I have styles open I can keep switching it around??? Im assuming the latter but just wanna be sure before I start using this stuff.

You can keep switching around between all the styles.

Sorry for the huge gif but this is killing me:

ibuOWO4aFpqnnv.gif

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

I just had to share this, and let me just preface everything by saying that I'm incredibly new. Like "just found out the game has in game character guides" new. But anyway, last night I'm playing a match and it quickly becomes apparent none of our team is either willing or able to communicate. That's fine, I've encountered worse. But then I notice no one is going mid because Nature's Prophet has decided to jungle, but when I offer to swap from top to mid I get refused in broken English. At least he spoke up, so I just let him have at it. Anyway, early game went about the way you might expect for better or worse. A few careless kills, but on the whole pretty uneventful. It was about this time that I went to go buy some items and boots that the goddamned store glitches out on me and an icon attaches itself to my mouse, and other store icons are now stuck to my screen. Along with this odd obstruction comes the revelation that I can't properly buy ingredients to items, and I can't sell from my inventory. I thought about restarting, but since I knew I couldn't communicate a pause, I decided to stick it out instead of risking it. It was around this time when things started taking a turn for the worse. The other team started racking up a lot of kills, and long story short snowballed out of control. I mean at one point they had three times the amount of kills as us, and the levels and items to show it. The game was ours to lose, there's no way around it. The only problem was that for whatever reason they found themselves either unable or unwilling to make the big-play. They were wrecking us in team fights, so they really could have ended it just whenever. Personally I think it was just straight hubris, but whatever. The point is, they gave us time to somehow coordinate a plan based off of a broken series of pings and chatwheel directions that we then proceeded to execute flawlessly. We wiped their entire team, put them on a 70 second respawn, marched our happy-asses into their base and won the day. Was it pretty? Hell naw, but I'll be damned if it wasn't fun. Also not a single one of them said anything post-match. Narry a GG was spotted. I'm really loving this game.

Atlantis

I fucking hate it when your teammates fuck around just because the other team is "all carries". That's no excuse for idiots to dick around in the early game and feed them, which led to THREE FED HARD CARRIES which no matter how farmed I was as Luna, I can't beat. Thanks a lot randoms for losing me the game.

(The CM in this game was very good though, and knew her shit.)

http://dotabuff.com/players/39341421/matches

(And yes, PA dropped all her shit right at the end.)

I was literally the only reason that game lasted 50 minutes.

Fuck around because enemy team is "all carries".

Other team has Lina and Mirana.
ibisnyzCtUJkAk.gif

I just had to share this, and let me just preface everything by saying that I'm incredibly new. Like "just found out the game has in game character guides" new. But anyway, last night I'm playing a match and it quickly becomes apparent none of our team is either willing or able to communicate. That's fine, I've encountered worse. But then I notice no one is going mid because Nature's Prophet has decided to jungle, but when I offer to swap from top to mid I get refused in broken English. At least he spoke up, so I just let him have at it. Anyway, early game went about the way you might expect for better or worse. A few careless kills, but on the whole pretty uneventful. It was about this time that I went to go buy some items and boots that the goddamned store glitches out on me and an icon attaches itself to my mouse, and other store icons are now stuck to my screen. Along with this odd obstruction comes the revelation that I can't properly buy ingredients to items, and I can't sell from my inventory. I thought about restarting, but since I knew I couldn't communicate a pause, I decided to stick it out instead of risking it. It was around this time when things started taking a turn for the worse. The other team started racking up a lot of kills, and long story short snowballed out of control. I mean at one point they had three times the amount of kills as us, and the levels and items to show it. The game was ours to lose, there's no way around it. The only problem was that for whatever reason they found themselves either unable or unwilling to make the big-play. They were wrecking us in team fights, so they really could have ended it just whenever. Personally I think it was just straight hubris, but whatever. The point is, they gave us time to somehow coordinate a plan based off of a broken series of pings and chatwheel directions that we then proceeded to execute flawlessly. We wiped their entire team, put them on a 70 second respawn, marched our happy-asses into their base and won the day. Was it pretty? Hell naw, but I'll be damned if it wasn't fun. Also not a single one of them said anything post-match. Narry a GG was spotted. I'm really loving this game.

That sounds like fun, do you have the match ID? I would like to see the replay :D

Shadybiz

Any people that are new to DOTA2, interested in doing a game tonight? I'd be up for it in about half an hour. Let's have some fun!

Interested, but not quite there yet! I want a few more bot matches before I venture out. You can keep me in mind for playing maybe in a week or so, though.

Like "just found out the game has in game character guides" new.

I luckily just happened to hear about those right before I turned on the game for the first time, while doing some research. Damn are they ever helpful! Without them, I'd probably be looking at the screen with a blank stare on my face every time I level up or go into the shop.

That sounds like fun, do you have the match ID? I would like to see the replay :D

Here you go duder, match ID: 256331639
Like I said though, it's straight up ugly for most of the game until right at the one hour mark. Right there is where we make our glorious stand. For reference I'm Fake Charlemagne (obviously :p) in the game AKA "the dude who really wants to learn Lina but goddamn that stun is hard to land."

profit

Interested, but not quite there yet! I want a few more bot matches before I venture out. You can keep me in mind for playing maybe in a week or so, though.
Dont worry, I'm quite new myself, but I figured its more fun learning the game together with a few people! I think I'll post everytime I plan on getting a game or two in so we can get a group going.
Oh and, when you go play online, just mention at the start of the game that you are new to the game. To my surprise a lot of people helped me better understand everthing, explaining where I should lane, where I should help. Really this community isnt that bad. Offcourse, I havent played hundreds of hours yet....

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
do you guys think they will let any other heroes into captains mode? i'd really like to see Elder Titan be played :(

Here you go duder, match ID: 256331639
Like I said though, it's straight up ugly for most of the game until right at the one hour mark. Right there is where we make our glorious stand. For reference I'm Fake Charlemagne (obviously :p) in the game AKA "the dude who really wants to learn Lina but goddamn that stun is hard to land."

I did not intend on watching all of it, but game turned around at the last minute are always fun to follow :)

Lina was super hard for me at the beginning, so I feel you.
That said, after a while, she's a BEAST, I did a game last week with like 6 kills in 8 minutes with her - yeah, the other team sucked, but still I got a 'GOOD LORD' from a teammate when he saw the rampaging at 8 mins, felt very good :):)

Enjoy.

Raxus

I have played a ton and I am nowhere close to completing the player card stamps. How in the hell was anyone supposed to do this?

I did not intend on watching all of it, but game turned around at the last minute are always fun to follow :)

Lina was super hard for me at the beginning, so I feel you.
That said, after a while, she's a BEAST, I did a game last week with like 6 kills in 8 minutes with her - yeah, the other team sucked, but still I got a 'GOOD LORD' from a teammate when he saw the rampaging at 8 mins, felt very good :):)

Enjoy.

Haha, thanks man. Yeah she's definitely got some quirks about her, but I agree with you. When you're in the zone, she's an absolute force to be reckoned with. I'm definitely going to be sticking with her as I learn more about the game.
Also, sucky team or no, rampaging at 8min is impressive stuff. The intimidation factor there has to be huge. :p

Artanisix

Do you think any of the heroes not in CM would be common picks/bans were they added in their current form?

I think Elder Titan is too good of a base breaker to pass up. Centaur could be played as a support ala Spiritbreaker, Troll would make a decent 2 position hero, and the rest of them could be niche picks.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I have played a ton and I am nowhere close to completing the player card stamps. How in the hell was anyone supposed to do this?

There's no way they could have expected anyone to be able to complete the book, let alone fill most teams without any kind of trading. You wouldn't be able to get that many unique cards between when they started showing up and now.

I used the dota2wh.com site to get a large amount of cards, and d2lounge to trade around for the harder to get ones.

Carry heavy lineups work in the trench because of this hubris you just described. My last game unfolded similarly

http://dotabuff.com/matches/256378309

Yes I was PL...

Edit :Oops linked the wrong match

http://dotabuff.com/matches/256291079 was the match in which our team actually punished a PL picker...

Glix

Do you think any of the heroes not in CM would be common picks/bans were they added in their current form?

I'm not sure how practiced the pros are with Centaur but from what I hear his Ulti is too good in the right hands and he would be picked.

Keep in mind Im an idiot and maybe he was even added already?

thespot84

I'm not sure how practiced the pros are with Centaur but from what I hear his Ulti is too good in the right hands and he would be picked.

Keep in mind Im an idiot and maybe he was even added already?

he's not in yet. I'm no pro but in my times playing him I've found his greatest value to be saving carries from getting killed (the global speed boost is amazing). His stun has a really long telegraph so it's hard to get off at early levels without the ult in combo or a blink dagger.

Morokh

Still playing matches in scrubs league, but when you get in a game where you end up 3V5 because of two leavers that rage-quit early cause they get ganked by Sniper, and then you still manage to hold them off for a good half hour and even carry the game playing friggin Witch Doctor, you know something's up ! xD

Hylian7

I just played Bristleback again and did slightly better than my first time playing him. It didn't help that the other lanes fed like hell and our Faceless Void AFK'd in fountain and abandoned.

I was using Purge's guide and it says Vanguard. I had it by 15 minutes, but is it actually worth it to get Vanguard on Bristleback? He seems like one of the few exceptions if you get it early enough.

shira

I just played Bristleback again and did slightly better than my first time playing him. It didn't help that the other lanes fed like hell and our Faceless Void AFK'd in fountain and abandoned.

I was using Purge's guide and it says Vanguard. I had it by 15 minutes, but is it actually worth it to get Vanguard on Bristleback? He seems like one of the few exceptions if you get it early enough.

I love when my team goes MKB to counter vanguard.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Still playing matches in scrubs league, but when you get in a game where you end up 3V5 because of two leavers that rage-quit early cause they get ganked by Sniper, and then you still manage to hold them off for a good half hour and even carry the game playing friggin Witch Doctor, you know something's up ! xD

so witch doctor sucks? i was kinda liking him :(

Gxgear

Armlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom