• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, SIXTY TO SEVENTEEN.

How is that NOT a lose? Don't even try to say it isn't.

They OUTPLAYED us. Simply.

I'm not falling for your bait. This discusison is over.

Yeah, Must be smurfs fucking up your game before MM could sort them up with their respective ELO level. You could have at least give us your replay number though, or the DotaBuff link to the match. Some of us have had terrible times with dicks who decide to call GG a few minutes into the match, so we might have jumped on you too early.

Also no, NEVER go AFK in the fountain if your team is still trying to play, even if a win looks bleak. The only time it is alright to hide in the fountain is when everyone in the team decides to do so. Not to mention the game detects no movement/attacks by you by a certain time limit, and automatically declares you have abandoned the game if you decide not to do anything. So it's best to alt-tab when you're dead and go read some shit to clear your head up, but don't forget to control your hero once in a while.

We all know how you feel. Hell, raging at Dota 2 is why I picked the name FlutterPuffs. Having this stupid name reminds me not to take Dota 2 so seriously and rage, since it's only a game. Hang in there.

Kard8p3

Yeah, Must be smurfs fucking up your game before MM could sort them up with their respective ELO level. You could have at least give us your replay number though, or the DotaBuff link to the match. Some of us have had terrible times with dicks who decide to call GG a few minutes into the match, so we might have jumped on you too early.

Also no, NEVER go AFK in the fountain if your team is still trying to play, even if a win looks bleak. The only time it is alright to hide in the fountain is when everyone in the team decides to do so. Not to mention the game detects no movement/attacks by you by a certain time limit, and automatically declares you have abandoned the game if you decide not to do anything. So it's best to alt-tab when you're dead and go read some shit to clear your head up, but don't forget to control your hero once in a while.

We all know how you feel. Hell, raging at Dota 2 is why I picked the name FlutterPuffs. Having this stupid name reminds me not to take Dota 2 so seriously and rage, since it's only a game. Hang in there.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/265620888

shira

The Secret Shop
Dreams wreckage ETA: Friday
ieFGG1CofTsgh.png

Your new Godz has arrived. . . for a haircut

Rahk

Oh good. Looks like BTS will get some hair product so they don't look like they've just woken up before casting.

Boken

Banned
Fact of the matter is, some people have different perceptions of whether a game is lost or not. Just because you want to give up doesn't mean your teammates do. The fact that you're in their team creates an obligation on you to help them as much as you can and not just walk away.

Professional sports teams get decimated occasionally by their opponents but do you ever see any team walking off the pitch before the final whistle. No, they don't. And that's called sportsmanship. Dota is no different.

They conceded as a team. You conceded as an individual. I would have reported you as well.

Enjoy your low priority.
so basically.... we should have a surrender vote option

Oh good. Looks like BTS will get some hair product so they don't look like they've just woken up before casting.

But still wear shitty pajama t-shirts?

this isnt 'professional' gaming
this is people who like to play games and get paid for it.
wheres the professionalism

Why are you guys still playing this shitty game when Dragon's Crown is out.

isnt that game for perverted animu weeaboos

might as well play league of legends

Aaron

Surrender option should be in the game. There's just too many times where you are either smashing the other team, or you're the one getting smashed. My last loss the other team fountain ganked instead of ending it. It was some long drawn out bullshit. Another game, the team I was on had clearly outclassed the other team. They didn't have a prayer of winning. Their levels were too far behind, but they still had all their tier 2s. So it took us a while just to end it, even though we were trying to get it over with.

Sure, a surrender option will disrupt games with random teams because you might get an asshole, but if they put it in as a majority vote that each player can only bring to vote once per game it'll have very little negative impact, and won't have me closing dota 2 in disgust.

Not really, I dont want to go back to the time in wc3dota where there were some games with a special host where you could actually forfeit.
First blood! -FF 4/5 votes
Fuck that
But are you really going to have fun with teammates that vote like that? I'd rather have a new game than stick with those assholes.

Anteo

so basically.... we should have a surrender vote option

Not really, I dont want to go back to the time in wc3dota where there were some games with a special host where you could actually forfeit.
First blood! -FF 4/5 votes
Fuck that

I hope they never put a concede option in for pubs.
Our DK wanted to "just let them end" about 30 minutes in, as we were getting destroyed. When you have the crazy late game line up we did though, you don't give up. He thankfully kept playing, and after a while it began to turn around. It was a tense game, by the end we were all pretty exhausted.

I had a 15k gold turnaround the other night too. Of course, I've had plenty of games where the other team continues on with their advantage, however, I'm happy to take those losses on the chin, if it means the comeback games are possible. Never surrender.

BeesEight

Please tell me we aren't opening the surrender option discussion again. I don't want to stifle discourse but seriously this topic happens monthly and goes nowhere. Valve has said they have no plans to implement it so I don't see what else there is to cover.

shira

Please tell me we aren't opening the surrender option discussion again. I don't want to stifle discourse but seriously this topic happens bi-monthly and goes nowhere. Valve has said they have no plans to implement it so I don't see what else there is to cover.

It's part of the healing process.

Aaron

Please tell me we aren't opening the surrender option discussion again. I don't want to stifle discourse but seriously this topic happens monthly and goes nowhere. Valve has said they have no plans to implement it so I don't see what else there is to cover.
Valve opened the wound when they gave surrender option to pro matches.

Sajjaja

Our DK wanted to "just let them end" about 30 minutes in, as we were getting destroyed. When you have the crazy late game line up we did though, you don't give up. He thankfully kept playing, and after a while it began to turn around. It was a tense game, by the end we were all pretty exhausted.

I had a 15k gold turnaround the other night too. Of course, I've had plenty of games where the other team continues on with their advantage, however, I'm happy to take those losses on the chin, if it means the comeback games are possible. Never surrender.

96 MINUTES? holy crap!

Boken

Banned
valve doesnt want to listen to the community basically

im happy for you that you turned that game around
but i hope you realise that in any surrender option, that DK wouldnt have been able to end the game. so the fact that at least 2 of you kept trying meant that this example isnt even relevant to to this discussion

infact, its probably easier to find games where a surrender wouldve been obvious. I played one last night. I'm the type who always plays to the end, probably using the surrender option less than 1% of the time in my league games, but the stomp yesterday was an obvious surrender. I didnt even want to surrender when they took our t3 tower. but when they started camping our fountain for almost 10 minutes, you'd figure that i should surrender instead of wasting my time. winners rights can get fucked. they still get to win. nothing gives anybody the right to be an asshole and waste the time of 5 other players. you cant even report for that kind of behaviour.

Sibylus

Banned
Random, debilitating lag that crops up in the middle of a game your team can win = frustrating like nothing else. Had several seconds of lag time between an action and the execution, and as Bane that's no beuno.

Bah.

yep.gif

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Had two 70 minute games in the last week, funnily enough in both of them I was playing Phantom Lancer. In the first we won when I overran them, in the second we lost when I was unable to take down a Medusa and a Sven who were both fat as hell

Kard8p3

but i hope you realise that in any surrender option, that DK wouldnt have been able to end the game. so the fact that at least 2 of you kept trying meant that this example isnt even relevant to to this discussion

infact, its probably easier to find games where a surrender wouldve been obvious. I played one last night. I'm the type who always plays to the end, probably using the surrender option less than 1% of the time in my league games, but the stomp yesterday was an obvious surrender. I didnt even want to surrender when they took our t3 tower. but when they started camping our fountain for almost 10 minutes, you'd figure that i should surrender instead of wasting my time. winners rights can get fucked. they still get to win. nothing gives anybody the right to be an asshole and waste the time of 5 other players. you cant even report for that kind of behaviour.

Yeppppp. I can't agree more.

Hylian7

I can't seem to have a good game with Storm Spirit. No matter what I can't get a respectable Orchid. The earliest I've ever gotten it is 23-25 minutes I think, and I always hear of people with their 15 minutes Orchids and Power Treads. How the hell do you do this?

K.Sabot

I can't seem to have a good game with Storm Spirit. No matter what I can't get a respectable Orchid. The earliest I've ever gotten it is 23-25 minutes I think, and I always hear of people with their 15 minutes Orchids and Power Treads. How the hell do you do this?

A respectable amount of murders and towers along with not laning against an OD.

Hylian7

A respectable amount of murders and towers along with not laning against an OD.

That's the thing: I feel useless without any items and only Treads, and any attempt to gank where I don't get the kill, I'm just losing out on farm, delaying the Orchid further.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Just snagged the Whale's hook for $5.75...I couldn't resist. I dunno why but every time I spend money on virtual items, I get this horribly feeling of guilt...Does this feeling guilt ever go away?

Off the steam market? Thats pretty good for steam market.

DBShop

Banned
Played my first match, got destroyed but slowly figuring things out. How do I see my items received after the game? Not in my backpack. Did I have to select them? Ruh oh.

Azull

Well dota2wh.com just wiped all there cards out for 15 gold a pop. They are only buying cards for 1 gold a piece now as well. Made 511 gold off 6 cards, so I'm happy. Wish they kept buying/selling the cards a little longer though =\.

The card packs

The sweet sweet courier codes

SO glad I didn't buy a Smeevil already. They're up above $200 on the Marketplace and I was contemplating it pretty hard. There's gonna be a FLEET of these things flooding the market this weekend now that it's confirmed they come on the cards for free (and with purchases).

Good shit.
Some of that was sugarfree at least.

I ran 2.5 miles twice today! Pushing my runs hard this week to build up TI3 endurance.

One right after the other.

$$$$

Sigh, my fantasy team is going to take a beating over the next 2 days. All of my supports (both on the go team and roster) play on Thursday, so tmrw is just solo and 2 carries. Where as on Thursday I'll only have supports and one carry.

96 MINUTES? holy crap!
Haha, we were wondering if it were ever going to end. The final time was 98 minutes, easily my longest game. The previous was 72.

We'll agree to disagree. I find people in general are too negative/pessimistic, so a surrender option would (in my opinion) only hurt the overall experience. I like to fight to the bitter end, that's my general attitude toward everything.
The ultimate pubstomp lineup: SB, Sniper, Drow, Ursa and TA. Pretty rough. The replay was unavailable, however I watched a bit of a different games of yours. Two things. Work on your last hitting, no auto-attacking. Also, ease up on the aggression at the beginning of the game when playing OD, he's too squishy. Just some friendly advice.

People refusing to end games they've won is just one of many reasons I choose to mainly play bot games.

But if Valve ultimately refuses to give people the option (maybe even putting in a separate mode?) they need to find gameplay ways to force ends to unwinnable games. I get why they want winning games to be as fun as possible, but it's always going to feel good to win--whereas if you're losing there's not much to enjoy about it, so prioritizing the winner's fun over making a loss less awful seems like a weird priority. So that part doesn't fly for me.

I do get that people give up too easily and a lack of a surrender option is a good way of ensuring they have to actually continue, but there has to be a way of incentivizing people who are winning to finish the game or giving people fighting a legitimately unwinnable situation a good way of tapping out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom