• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robot Pants

For those who played DotA1, how does this one measure up?
I haven't played either, I'm just curious if Valve actually made the game better.

Anteo

Dunno why you would want to play abbadon as asupoort
He's so manly

How is his voice? Is it clear, or is disorted in a way that it could actually be a woman without the magic/helm

I haven't played either, I'm just curious if Valve actually made the game better.

Is a direct, incomplete port with much better interface and at least has matchmaking unlike the original. Some mechanics work different, some clearly intended because of the limitations of the Wc3 Engine, other not so much (like Pudge chain, it doesnt work like that in Wc3 Dota BUT there are maps where people programed it to work like Dota2 years ago, dunno why Icefrog never changed the chain in dota1 when is clearly possibel to get the same effect as in dota2)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Is a direct, incomplete port with much better interface and at least has matchmaking unlike the original. Some mechanics work different, some clearly intended because of the limitations of the Wc3 Engine, other not so much (like Pudge chain, it doesnt work like that in Wc3 Dota BUT there are maps where people programed it to work like Dota2 years ago)
What's different here?

Dahbomb

It's essentially a 1:1 adaptation in terms of game play but there are more refined options, better graphics and presentation. So obviously it's better than a near decade old mod. It's just not fully completed yet... still a bit of a WIP to get to full parity with DOTA 1.

Anteo

What's different here?

It was programed in a "lazy" way. It creates part of the chain based on the point Pudge currently is, so something like this

[P] > > > > > >

If you somehow slide him or move him (liek with X marks the spot) this happens

___> > >

[P]______> > > >

The target will always go back to the first point of the chain, so things like the combo with chen when you go back to the fountain with your target cant happen, but some other interesting thing can, like curving the chain, or using chain in the fountain just as ezalor teleports you, so the start of the chain is back ther and whatever hero you latch on the target location will go back by itself to the fountain.

Lotto

quirts_summer_bundle_2013_large.png

Hope this means another comic!

This is one of those matches where having no concede is a good thing:

http://dotabuff.com/matches/240034017

It was never ridiculously out of control, but it wasn't looking too hot early on and late. If you check the last ~5 minutes, Weaver, who thinks he's nigh unkillable makes a fatal mistake of getting too close to our base without support. I'm able to lasso him in and we make the kill. Forget if I had to pop his Linkens with Force Staff in that instance or not, but anyway~

5-man death push down mid even with a T2 tower in the way is successful. Their side lanes had T2 towers still, so we go for the GG and win.

Really hard game for Batrider since everyone on their team had something that could mess with my blink -> lassos. Even going BKB wasn't necessarily going to have been a winning proposition with Bane on their side unless I went on him, but then you leave other high-priority targets. He had a blink mid-way through the game too which didn't exactly help.

Card Boy

Banned
I played Doom aswell for the first time today, I canned it. I had Midas and was also racking in gold from the Q skill. I might pick him more often now. I actually found big wolf or big Centaur to give the best buffs.

Clawww

I'm sure the set is well crafted, but she looks like a grandma with a really bad boob job.

I don't get it. He's got a dick head, plated armor, with rope wings.

and a dumbass sword

valve sure went nuts with the wavy/curved swords and shit this set

those AM weapons are shit

danthefan

So. Right. How accessible is this game to a complete newbie? I read a comment on another thread that you can spend 100 hours playing this and still not really get to grips with it. And tbh I'm not slightly interested in getting abused for being crap at the game.

So. Right. How accessible is this game to a complete newbie? I read a comment on another thread that you can spend 100 hours playing this and still not really get to grips with it. And tbh I'm not slightly interested in getting abused for being crap at the game.

You will get chewed up and spat out while people make unkind remarks about your family.

Aaron

There are tutorials. Try them and see how you feel about the game after that.

Einbroch

Banned
There's a hilarious bug in Leeg where if you switch a certain item to another slot and use it right as you switch it it completely crashes the game for everyone in the game and erases it from history. No wins, no losses, no nothing, it's just gone. No one can reconnect either.

Doters ever have anything this broken?

Clawww

It's going to take a long while to get decent. You just have to play a lot to get a feel for things. Even if you're a highly mechanically skilled gamer or whatever, it takes a bit, just because there's so much requisite knowledge you have to obtain.

Boken

Banned
There's a hilarious bug in Leeg where if you switch a certain item to another slot and use it right as you switch it it completely crashes the game for everyone in the game and erases it from history. No wins, no losses, no nothing, it's just gone. No one can reconnect either.

Ya this one time I tried to buy items relly wuikly and my mouse wouldn't move and I didn't even get my items

This other time I was trying to hit on this rely hot redhead and she one shot me wtf must be a bug.

Tl;dr: you should know better than to post stuff like that just for the purposes of circle jerking what are you, desperate for attention or something.

And I know about attention seeking

Acinixys

It's going to take a long while to get decent. You just have to play a lot to get a feel for things. Even if you're a highly mechanically skilled gamer or whatever, it takes a bit, just because there's so much requisite knowledge you have to obtain.

Youtube is your friend. There are so many good tutorials on laning and other basics like denying/stacking and pulling etc

Des0lar

will learn eventually

Considering there are about 100 heroes, well it takes 100 hours alone playing each of them in an online match. You can be pretty decent, even after only 50 games, but you will need someone to teach you the mechanics then.
If you play alone matchmaking will pair you with people of your skill level, so if someone calls you bad, just mute him and be done with it. He is probably even worse. A good way not to get flamed is to apologize after big mistakes, like missing a key ability on the enemy hero.
There is a lot of depth to this game though, so once you're hooked, you will soon find out why so many people play this gane for so long.

Vee_One

You will be called vile names by "experts".
Only saving grace is the mute button.
Game does take a long, long time to learn but before you start take a couple of hours to read the basics - it will help immensely.

Anteo

Yes, the forfeit option is broken, is not there for some reason. So you can't surrender,

danthefan

Considering there are about 100 heroes, well it takes 100 hours alone playing each of them in an online match. You can be pretty decent, even after only 50 games, but you will need someone to teach you the mechanics then.
If you play alone matchmaking will pair you with people of your skill level, so if someone calls you bad, just mute him and be done with it. He is probably even worse. A good way not to get flamed is to apologize after big mistakes, like missing a key ability on the enemy hero.
There is a lot of depth to this game though, so once you're hooked, you will soon find out why so many people play this gane for so long.

Ahhhh. Excellent. Getting paired with people of my skill level makes things sound a whole lot better. Will certainly give the game a go and see if it's for me, cheers.

Einbroch

Banned
Ya this one time I tried to buy items relly wuikly and my mouse wouldn't move and I didn't even get my items

This other time I was trying to hit on this rely hot redhead and she one shot me wtf must be a bug.

Tl;dr: you should know better than to post stuff like that just for the purposes of circle jerking what are you, desperate for attention or something.

And I know about attention seeking
Or I'm asking about hilarious bugs in Dota, because these games get these kinds of bugs all the time. My brother would tell me about some really funny bugs in HoN back when he played.

But k.

Vaporak

Ahhhh. Excellent. Getting paired with people of my skill level makes things sound a whole lot better. Will certainly give the game a go and see if it's for me, cheers.

Solo queueing can be a terrible experience, don't forget to stop by the gaf channel and try and find some other newbies to play with.

Boken

Banned
Or I'm asking about hilarious bugs in Dota, because these games get these kinds of bugs all the time. My brother would tell me about some really funny bugs in HoN back when he played.

But k.
"hey guys, what are the most hilarious bugs that have graced doto 2?"

Sure mate. That's exactly what you said.

NewGame

Banned
I know DotA players are prone to some potty mouth but seriously that last game just had 3 man children screaming into the mic for every little action. They also had a screaming match about the courier and while they were microing it in a circle the enemy natures prophet killed it.

I was out of reports </3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom