• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
There have been like half a dozen showstopper bugs during the beta. The ones that instantly come to mind are:

-Using illusions to dupe items and sell them for gold (fixed within a day)
-Chen converting Roshan (fixed within a few hours)

There were also some minor ones that scumbags like Milk exploited (OoV triggering Sticky Napalm, Beastmaster axe trap, Treant Protector, etc)

Des0lar

will learn eventually
You know what feels great? Noticing that you finally aquired a nice form of "game sense", knowing where to farm when, when to back odf teamfights, where enemies are without having wards.... Good stuff

Card Boy

Banned
You know what feels great? Noticing that you finally aquired a nice form of "game sense", knowing where to farm when, when to back odf teamfights, where enemies are without having wards.... Good stuff

Too bad 90% of the time no one else on your team has this 'game sense' in solo queue.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

I know what you mean... every game I play now you can just feel when it's the right time to attempt a Roshan, when you should attempt a smoke gank, when you should be building a BKB, when you need a sheep stick, when you should be split pushing, when you should be having dust, to always have a TP scroll...

I'm starting to play heroes that are not in my wheelhouse more these days (typically I play a 3/4/5) due to people picking overly supporty line-ups before I lock in my hero. I'm not going to pick one of my go-to heroes like WR/Rubick/DS when our team is made up of CM/Dazzle/Pugna.

I'm not doing amazing with these new heroes since I don't have all the little nuances figured out with them...but I've watched enough pro matches to know how these heroes should be used and what makes them effective.

The new "game sense" plus the knowledge of all the pro stuff gives me enough of a toolbox to make sure that even if I'm not having a great game, I'm never feeding and I'm not making any HUGE mistakes.

Always tweaking...

I'm really not liking how I'm only getting player cards instead of items given they're useless. At the very least you should be guaranteed an item at a level up but things would be much better if they operated on their own separated drop rate. I imagine it especially sucks for those who've just started playing now that it's out of beta.

oneils

The full game starts out with this.

YNCIF8h.jpg

Is it possible to skip this process ? My mate already knows all this stuff...

The Steam pop up is covering it, but at the bottom left portion of the screen there is a "minimize" button. Click on it and it will reveal all of the other game modes. They will be displayed on the left.

RubxQub

I'm really not liking how I'm only getting player cards instead of items given they're useless. At the very least you should be guaranteed an item at a level up but things would be much better if they operated on their own separated drop rate. I imagine it especially sucks for those who've just started playing now that it's out of beta.

I love getting player cards. I feel like I'm actually collecting something instead of just getting a random hat or wristguard for a hero I'm likely never going to play.

Seeing what trading card you get (if any) is one of my favorite parts now!

Seems like a harmless way introducing people to the pro scene which should only increase the communities investment and interest in the game.

I'm probably stupid for stamping them all in my Compedium, however. I'm guessing there will be some reason to stamp full teams to completion vs. just randomly stamping whatever cards you may have.

marrec

Banned
I love getting player cards. I feel like I'm actually collecting something instead of just getting a random hat or wristguard for a hero I'm likely never going to play.

Seeing what trading card you get (if any) is one of my favorite parts now!

Seems like a harmless way introducing people to the pro scene which should only increase the communities investment and interest in the game.

I'm probably stupid for stamping them all in my Compedium, however. I'm guessing there will be some reason to stamp full teams to completion vs. just randomly stamping whatever cards you may have.

Random stamp all day errday! I feel like a 12 year old putting baseball cards in a folder, it's so stupid yet I fucking love doing it. As soon as I realized you could stamp them in the compendium I sent a PM to all my friends that said:

"GIVE ME YOUR DOTA MEN!"

I hope they understood.

shira

I love buying MoM on Troll. He sounds so pissed when you get it

MASK OF MADNESS!?

Whoah whoa whoa MoM on Troll can be legit.
Have you seen trench trolls? They ult, mom and run into battle first. Yes there is a chance they blow up one guy, but a group of 2 or 3 will just stun and finish. No bkb.

**Ping ping** wtf noobs help help gg noob team

circuscaptain said:
Should have. . . sent. . . poet

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Yeah, I don't get it. I've seen so many trolls owning the early and midgame, only to continue buying huge damage items but bot BKB. And then they wonder why suddenly they get blown up by everything.

RubxQub

Forfeit?! Da fuq!

Pratfall

Just getting started playing against humans and had a really fun but ultimately frustrating match last night. I was playing Windrunner and we had a great Lion on our team on the mic and directing our pushes and team fights (makes such a huge difference). I'm doing alright, a lot of assists, not dying very much and our team overall is doing very well. We basically have the game as long as we are patient. And then the Drow buys a Rapier and dies, giving it to the enemy Jugg and he tears through our whole team and they take 2 sets of racks. Game over. Ugh.

Playing abbadon makes me wish they released the SDK for Dota 2. I'd really like to see someone make an RTS or recreate Warcraft 3 on this engine. Hell, a lot of your assets are already created in the form of heroes, but the project would still be pretty large if you wanted to use custom models. You'd also have to make buildings, would have to be a community project. There are a lot of war3 enthusiasts already though, so I'm sure the people are there.

RubxQub

It's kind of weird seeing Kunkka picked so much these days in the pro scene. It seems like people enjoy that he's able to have a more reliable follow-on stun when paired with certain supports, but the winrate he had at the Alienware cup was 15% :(

I love me some Kunkka, but it doesn't seem like he fits in the pro scene. The boat is hard to land. His stun is hard to land. His X and Tidebringer are both awesome, however.

shira

It's kind of weird seeing Kunkka picked so much these days in the pro scene. It seems like people enjoy that he's able to have a more reliable follow-on stun when paired with certain supports, but the winrate he had at the Alienware cup was 15% :(

I love me some Kunkka, but it doesn't seem like he fits in the pro scene. The boat is hard to land. His stun is hard to land. His X and Tidebringer are both awesome, however.

Well navi didn't use him(?) and they won the cup, so winrate is kind of moot. I'm sure they could play him, but it's synergy with picks/players/other team.
Xbox seems to be only spec/alk/gyro/naix/lina in the last 50 matches.

The next hero after Legion Commander is going to be
techies

There's some base code in the Mac client referencing them, the only other unreleased hero mentioned in the client is Legion Commander.

traveler

Not Wario
techies

There's some base code in the Mac client referencing them, the only other unreleased hero mentioned in the client is Legion Commander.

Need to start up the voting campaign to get Earth Spirit in off the compendium in the unlikely event that it happens. Would also settle for Ember Spirit or Arc Warden.

Need to start up the voting campaign to get Earth Spirit in off the compendium in the unlikely event that it happens. Would also settle for Ember Spirit or Arc Warden.

I want Ember Spirit. He seems like a cool guy who doesn't afraid of anything.

The new Earth Spirit seems pretty unique too.

JustinBB7

techies

What does it say? I think Valve will release him anyway as a reward for.. not getting...the final stretch goal..

traveler

Not Wario
It's going to be great when everyone votes in Techies only to realize they never want to see him in a match after the first match they play with him on their team/against him/as him.

#EarthFirst

JustinBB7

I really wanna see how he is, concept wise/voice wise/gameplay wise.

I've never played Dota 1 (did play WC3 but didn't play any mods). So I can't wait. Doesn't a gem shut him down anyway? (except for suicide)

Also what's a good way to kill Abaddon? Just don't hit when his ult is on should be enough I suppose but in pubs I don't see people holding back long enough.

Sibylus

Banned
Or I'm asking about hilarious bugs in Dota, because these games get these kinds of bugs all the time. My brother would tell me about some really funny bugs in HoN back when he played.

But k.
There have been a few crash bugs related to certain heroes at times, but I can't recall if they also erased the game histories.

Being able to sell items in the inventories of illusions was probably the biggest gamebreaking bug, albeit not a crash. Up there with being able to take over Roshan with Chen.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
techies

Makes since, Valve is out of heroes to port that are "balanced". You have Ember Spirit, 4 'new' heroes that aren't CM ready, and three other heroes that keep getting reworked.

ink4n3

I've never played Dota 1 (did play WC3 but didn't play any mods). So I can't wait. Doesn't a gem shut him down anyway? (except for suicide)

Also what's a good way to kill Abaddon? Just don't hit when his ult is on should be enough I suppose but in pubs I don't see people holding back long enough.

A good techies is a terror to play against. Even with a gem, you can hide his mines up hill and behind trees. It makes them really hard to see. Not sure how that will work with the health bars though...

Anteo

Gem + Flying vision destroys him. Without flying vision he can take advantage of the cliff and ramps to hide mines, so enemies with gem cant see the mines until they are walking on them. Necromicon also works wonders, blademail works too.

And about abaddon, pubs will learn, eventually.

Carry a gem and a dominated ranged creep :p

Ranged creep doenst have enough range of attack, the mine will still kill the creep when is destroyed.

Sibylus

Banned
Playing abbadon makes me wish they released the SDK for Dota 2. I'd really like to see someone make an RTS or recreate Warcraft 3 on this engine. Hell, a lot of your assets are already created in the form of heroes, but the project would still be pretty large if you wanted to use custom models. You'd also have to make buildings, would have to be a community project. There are a lot of war3 enthusiasts already though, so I'm sure the people are there.
Can't say a WC3-make interests me in particular, but I'm definitely interested in taking a stab at some manner of singleplayer campaign. One of these days I'm going to see if I can get a pseudo-workable toolkit using Alien Swarm's SDK.

Anteo

As soon as they release the SDK, I will go back at making custom maps, there were so many party and competitive maps on wc3 made by fans that I can't see then NOT taking advantage of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom