• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
On that note not knowing what breaks invis and what doesn't keeps me from doing much when I'm playing invis heroes. Like, I learned the other day that placing wards doesn't break invis?

When smoked yes, you can place wards and use abilities without revealing yourself. Just attacking and proximity to enemy heroes break it.

With invis runes, pretty much anything breaks it. Activated invis abilities and Shadow Blade however are on a case-by-case basis I think.

Acinixys

With invis runes, pretty much anything breaks it. Activated invis abilities and Shadow Blade however are on a case-by-case basis I think.

If you activate an invis rune, you can drink 1 bottle charge and not break it. But if you drink 2 or more it will break

This games mechanics are fucking weird

TommyT

If you activate an invis rune, you can drink 1 bottle charge and not break it. But if you drink 2 or more it will break

This games mechanics are fucking weird

Not really. I'm pretty sure it's based on fade time. If you perform an action during the fade it won't stop the fade and you go invis. Not sure if it pertains to ANYTHING happening during the fade time, but that's how drinking the bottle works.

edit: Falcon punched.

I want to say don't take this as gospel, and that it's item and ult dependent. For instance, you can Shiva's during Enigma's ult, but I want to say if you BKB during the ult it breaks the channel.

goodfella

So I've been playing a few games against humans in the tutorial, and I had been doing really well in the past couple of them, top of my team in gold/min exp/min and kills. I guess I went up a bracket or something because I played two games today and I did awfully.

The last one was my first experience playing with a bunch of twats. I thought something was off when neither of the supports bought a courier. Anyway, I was advised by my whole team to quit playing dota every five minutes. Infact I should delete steam, and then delete my life.
They also all agreed to report me. Then at the end of the match, they all commended each other, which made me especially angry for whatever reason.

Anyway, I ended up buying the carrier.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Im fairly certian that even after the fade time (10 secs into invis), you can have 1 sip and it wont break invis.

Im going to go test it quick

That won't work at all. It is definitely the fade time, as you can pretty much do anything you want during that time that would normally break invis. It works because you're not actually invisible yet.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So I've been playing a few games against humans in the tutorial, and I had been doing really well in the past couple of them, top of my team in gold/min exp/min and kills. I guess I went up a bracket or something because I played two games today and I did awfully.

The last one was my first experience playing with a bunch of twats. I thought something was off when neither of the supports bought a sniper. Anyway, I was advised by my whole team to quit playing dota every five minutes. Infact I should delete steam, and then delete my life.
They also all agreed to report me. Then at the end of the match, they all commended each other, which made me especially angry for whatever reason.

Anyway, I ended up buying the carrier.
All I can say is that this does change. Oh there are always still a few assholes, but I honestly cannot remember the last time I had an experience like that. Its been months probably.

Most useful cases for activating Shadow Blade after you've ulted are probably Witch Doctor and Crystal Maiden.

With Shadow Fiend you technically could as well, but since it's not actually channeled and just has a really long cast animation, you're better off using shadow blade as a positional tool as the cast doesn't break the invisibility until it actually goes off. So you can channel it fully while still invisible. Same deal with teleport on Furion. You can do it either way, but it's usually better to run somewhere first while invis before using the spell.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Most useful cases for activating Shadow Blade after you've ulted are probably Witch Doctor and Crystal Maiden.

With Shadow Fiend you technically could as well, but since it's not actually channeled and just has a really long cast animation, you're better off using shadow blade as a positional tool as the cast doesn't break the invisibility until it actually goes off. So you can channel it fully while still invisible. Same deal with teleport on Furion. You can do it either way, but it's usually better to run somewhere first while invis before using the spell.

Also how does Epicenter work? Based on the last few times I've played SK it seems like stunning me stops it but killing me doesn't.

goodfella

hmm? You mentioned you bought the courier, so did you mean that instead :eek:?

Haha, yeah.

I will play again. Yesterday, when I was doing well, was amazingly fun, and everyone I played with was really friendly. It was nice to get my first friendly commendation yesterday as well. Valve probably now think I'm an arsehole after those reports :(

Anteo

On that note not knowing what breaks invis and what doesn't keeps me from doing much when I'm playing invis heroes. Like, I learned the other day that placing wards doesn't break invis?

Going into Invis with skills like Gondars invis, Clinks Invis and Shadowblade will not interrupt channeling spells, including TP scrolls, so you can TP out of base, use invi in the middle of the channeling and arrive at the location invis, some enemies may be confused thinking you canceled the TP.

For the rune's invi it works different, there is a fade time, a moment when your hero is going invi but not there yet, you can use a channel spell right there and you hero will still go invi. Usefull with Crystal Maiden

Shadow Demon disruption, is it always that easy to block someone like that?

Actually I don't know. That Void was a random on a MM, and aparently he knew he could do that. He did that at least 3 times in the match, it surprised me. I need to test it

Edit:
Also how does Epicenter work? Based on the last few times I've played SK it seems like stunning me stops it but killing me doesn't.

In case you don't know it, you can start channeling and use the dagger while holding the SHIFT key in the middle of the channeling. SK will blink as soon as he finish channeling. Standard stuff for RTS.

Nerdy Fergy

Neo Member
I'd stick to a few heroes, but don't limit yourself to one. Play a few easy heroes like Lich, Ursa, Tidehunter, and see which role you like and go from there. Lich is a staple support, Tidehunter a staple tank + initiator, and ursa a staple carry. Chances are if you're new you're going to be playing against other people that are new or really bad, so I don't think it really matters too much which hero you pick since chances are everyone in the game will not be using their heroes effectively.

Thanks for the suggestions!

shira

Peru is the new Brazil, confirmed.

Oh god you talk shit about Peru and they start into Aryk/Denial - blah blah I scrim with Artyk. Stfu por favor we got Envysama

so-much-win-starcraft-reaction.gif

Also Fuck starcraft and it's antiquated soundproof booths for golf like silence. We need the players mic'd up and shit talking - getting the crowd into it. Even Pajkatt gets in on it at ECL. Just tell the player to lay off the f*g calling and casters not to spoil shit directly and BAM next tier entertainment.

ECL - mic'd up face to face LAN footage http://youtu.be/2SYPZ2E0gpU

iT4Fq4iAk29I8.gif

Can you imagine Dendi calling out the crowd USA USA!!! Make that crowd the 11th player and it changes everything

How do you get the bastion announcers in this game?

If a friend or ally has it you can "borrow" it for the game - sometimes it even stays for the next game - same with HUDs
I really hope they activate hat/courier sharing. Nothing worse than a plain donkey

traveler

Not Wario
I'm still debating whether I am or not as well. The fractured ankle I incurred is delaying the road trip I had planned around the International, so going means doing a dedicated flight and trip on top of my road trip costs and flight prices are rising everyday. Furthermore, the later I wait, the less likely it is someone who would want to go would be able to get away and arrange it all. I guess I can always check with Seattle GAF to see if anyone wants to go.

Valve should have had a Summer sale in Dota as well, with the community voting on items for sale within the game. Could have had a Summer voteoff on a subset of pre approved community items as well to form a Summer chest. Also could have had lower markdowns across the store. Cross promotion with the sale and release. Missed opportunity.

Forkball

I had to abandon early due to mega-lag. Maybe I shouldn't play Dota during a storm and when Steam servers are getting hammered.

I had a pretty good Gyro game. I had to play him as support, so I didn't get Agh's/SB until the end.

Dreavus

I was just checking out the "invisibility" wiki page after all the discussion. It just seems like a random set of abilities can be dodged with invisibility, and the others can't. Even similarly functioning bounces/abilities have no bearing on which way an ability goes.

Mystic snake can't be dodged, but paralyzing cask can be. Unstable concoction can't be dodged, but storm hammer can be. Concussive shot can't be dodged, but Heat-seeking missile can be.

I'd be hard pressed to find another mechanic more inconsistent. Damnit Icefrog!

shira

Dat Navi Antimage set
"The one who knows how to assault does not let his enemy a way to defend; the one who knows how to defend does not let his enemy a way to assault. The most delicate art!", said once Sun Tzu. The art of war is a discipline and awareness and it is only perseverance and power of will which let you to stay silent inside when the war thunders around. Devoting his life to removing any magic from this world, Ronin draws strength from the ancients studies of the East and if any obstacle he meets is not a problem for his two obsidian blades.
http://navi-gaming.com/news_show.php?news_id=13610
ibpyeFF5XBwoNt.jpg

http://youtu.be/BTbXoWq9cTM

Sasuke Ronin Set by Navi for Xbox
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=153775758

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom