• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

Does this tourney start today?
Nope tomorrow (Friday)
wifestealer vs mouz 1830cest/1230est/930pst
Also not a tourney - only a bo5 grand finals - the rest of the weekend is LoL

I really like this boat as a weapon for tide:
F7DC9206DBF88347441D7239528695FBC2CB178F

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=159348799
Agree, Pacfic Rimmin'

A dog chasing a sausage fits the style? It's just stupid. I realise that some couriers have been faintly ridiculous, but this just opens things up for a whole new level of inanity. Judging couriers on whether they are "cute" or not is just wrong: they're not pets!
I believe the marketing term is "casual friendly"

Ultimatum

Banned
First I tried Luna, I liked her, but couldnt stay alive late-game since she only has 2 active skills and only the ultimate does significant amount of damage, but its on a 140 seconds cooldown!

Luna needs lots of farm to be good, if you get lots of last hits you get loads of gold to spend on cool items which make your auto attack amazing

Tried also Windrunner and liked her, has some really cool spells and I love archers! Is she good?)

<3 Windrunner one of my favourite heroes. Good hero but you won't be doing much right click damage.

Anyway, fun game and my first time playing a MOBA :)

Glad you like it, there's a huge amount to learn but it's a very rewarding genre

shira

What is it about the original courier that made you think that couriers were not always intended to be crazy? The stock courier is a donkey that turns into a flying donkey!

Couriers being crazy is just one of the charms in this game.

Careful, next step is:
1.jpg

Not sure why everyone is up in arms about this, it's just a courier and for the most part, they're all ridiculous. I don't really see how this one is much worse to be honest.
See, I don't understand why people love the doggie, but hate the navi antimage set.
If the doggie is in let the ronnin in ffs.
If casual friendly/wii audience/looky-loos are being satisfied - lets give the hardcore some badass sets to even it out.

Oh yeah Dreamhack Valencia is just the grand finals b05 on Friday-friday-friday.
No other dota matches.

I like the wiener dog, my only problem is that it isn't a corgi.

I want a corgi with invoker themed cowl + orbs + invoker responses when he delivers items to him (total sweet talking his dog).

shira

Archie said:
Looks kinda like my dog so I upvoted it. :3
I like the wiener dog, my only problem is that it isn't a corgi.

I want a corgi with invoker themed cowl + orbs + invoker responses when he delivers items to him (total sweet talking his dog).

Ok fine I see you love dogs, but I think a concept idea should not be copied. Like 1 dog - end - no huskies, no bulldogs (admiral maybe), no chihuahuas.
Oh wait there is already a wardog. GG all the doggies.

El Gato is in. No more cats.

And rat with cheese - only one courier with dangling treat.
(I would be ok if RatintheDark/Menace or Mouz picked this up)

And how the fuck is the puck one not in?

VOLVO!!!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Careful, next step is:
1.jpg

See, I don't understand why people love the doggie, but hate the navi antimage set.
If the doggie is in let the ronnin in ffs.
If casual friendly/wii audience/looky-loos are being satisfied - lets give the hardcore some badass sets to even it out.

Oh yeah Dreamhack Valencia is just the grand finals b05 on Friday-friday-friday.
No other dota matches.
Why even bring up the am set when talking about couriers? Couriers have always been crazy

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I've decided that to help take my game to the next level, I need to remap my keybinds to actually be on my keyboard instead of my mouse.

I have the Razer Naga MMO mouse (love love love it) which has 12 buttons on the thumb, which is amazing for MMO games, and has tons of uses outside of MMOs...but in Dota, having all those keys being bottlenecked by a single finger really hurts my reaction time.

Used to have it set up where abilities were 1-6, and items were 7-12. Being able to do a combination of things tightly was really a problem (trying to channel Epicenter, immediately blink in, pop BKB, and burrow strike the primary target for instance). I could do combos, they just felt awful and weren't nearly as fast as I'd want them to be. I had my thumb trying to do 4 buttons in less than a half second. Getting these keys spread out on my keyboard should really help this.

Now I've got S-D-F-Space for my abilities, with W and E as the 4-5 abilities. Items I'm leaving as 7-12 on my mouse.

So far so good, but retraining my muscle memory is such a bitch after 500 games with one configuration. Have messed up a few plays already because I'm not reacting as quickly as we need to.

You need a beta key and a Korean citizen ID. No &#50808;&#44397;&#51064; smurfs allowed

Dreamhack Valencia dota stage, unconfirmed if Riot gets it too lol
http://t.co/NBatHji1B2

Oh, thanks for the heads up. Pretty sure my ID is long gone but I'll find a way. Info on the korean scene is so scarce, it's hard to follow it.
Perhaps I need to dig around some Naver sites.

eznark

Banned
Finally got into a compendium match, what an awful experience. I've played about 250 games, won about half of them. As soon as the game loads:

"we're fuck, guy only has 100 wins"

And I get stuck with Alechmist, who I have no clue how to play. It goes predictably, I get clowned (all but one other guy on my team was pretty shit too) and the guy I'm in a lane with (who I actually do feel bad for but fuck man, I'm trying!) keeps spamming to report me because I'm apparently just playing for cards? I don't even know what that means. I tried talking as much as possible early game but after like 15 minutes in I wasn't playing perfectly so he had had enough and went full troll.

Anyway, seems like a cool mode but I guess there aren't enough people playing it to make it worth your time if you aren't a l33t pro tryhard. It also takes like 8 minutes waiting to connect. Oh well.

Zia

Is there an archive of old models anywhere for comparison? I was somehow totally unaware WD received a remodel.

I've decided that to help take my game to the next level, I need to remap my keybinds to actually be on my keyboard instead of my mouse.

I have the Razer Naga MMO mouse (love love love it) which has 12 buttons on the thumb, which is amazing for MMO games, and has tons of uses outside of MMOs...but in Dota, having all those keys being bottlenecked by a single finger really hurts my reaction time.

Used to have it set up where abilities were 1-6, and items were 7-12. Being able to do a combination of things tightly was really a problem (trying to channel Epicenter, immediately blink in, pop BKB, and burrow strike the primary target for instance). I could do combos, they just felt awful and weren't nearly as fast as I'd want them to be. I had my thumb trying to do 4 buttons in less than a half second. Getting these keys spread out on my keyboard should really help this.

Now I've got S-D-F-Space for my abilities, with W and E as the 4-5 abilities. Items I'm leaving as 7-12 on my mouse.

So far so good, but retraining my muscle memory is such a bitch after 500 games with one configuration. Have messed up a few plays already because I'm not reacting as quickly as we need to.

I remember once I used up all my salves (2) accidentally after switching keybinds. 200 gold down the drain and creeps haven't even started spawning yet.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Finally got into a compendium match, what an awful experience. I've played about 250 games, won about half of them. As soon as the game loads:

"we're fuck, guy only has 100 wins"

And I get stuck with Alechmist, who I have no clue how to play. It goes predictably, I get clowned (all but one other guy on my team was pretty shit too) and the guy I'm in a lane with (who I actually do feel bad for but fuck man, I'm trying!) keeps spamming to report me because I'm apparently just playing for cards? I don't even know what that means. I tried talking as much as possible early game but after like 15 minutes in I wasn't playing perfectly so he had had enough and went full troll.

Anyway, seems like a cool mode but I guess there aren't enough people playing it to make it worth your time if you aren't a l33t pro tryhard. It also takes like 8 minutes waiting to connect. Oh well.

All the Compendium matches I played were awesome.
People cared about tactics, we did trilanes, wards, counterwards, ... really had that "high level feel".

But I can't seem to find games now. Takes forever. Maybe I should try to queue again some of these days.

eznark

Banned
All the Compendium matches I played were awesome.
People cared about tactics, we did trilanes, wards, counterwards, ... really had that "high level feel".

But I can't seem to find games now. Takes forever. Maybe I should try to queue again some of these days.

Yeah, the format seemed like it's fantastic but since it seems no one is playing it (based on queue times) the talent spread is huge. In my game there were four guys who had 350+ wins and me and two others who had around 100 wins. I didn't check the other but they were middling as well. One dude just constantly yelled at everyone for their purchases. The other high level guy on my team was fantastic. Super helpful.

Is it possible to play those games in a party?

Soule

FXO takes game 1 over MiTH trust in AMD Premier League... They played really well, nice to see them against stronger opponents, should be a much better indication of their real skill as opposed to them just destroying the NSL.

H3xum

So, I think I'm jumping in

I have a buddy who has been playing for awhile, so I'm depending on him, but I'll probably be hopping in with GAF too

EXCITED

Anyway, I wanted to ask, how current is this guide, specifically, are the characters he cites still towards the top of the list for each individual role? I noticed it's from super early 2012 so I'm not sure.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Is it possible to play those games in a party?

Sure but everyone needs a compendium

So, I think I'm jumping in

I have a buddy who has been playing for awhile, so I'm depending on him, but I'll probably be hopping in with GAF too

EXCITED

Anyway, I wanted to ask, how current is this guide, specifically, are the characters he cites still towards the top of the list for each individual role? I noticed it's from super early 2012 so I'm not sure.

It's ok enough. Nothing drastic has changed, you can still use it.

Also read this:
http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It's adorable and fits the style just fine. Couriers are always fairly loose on their seriousness.

I am just not a fan of the "Courier chasing item on stick" theme I have seen some people go for. It would be an improvement to drop the hot dog.

Is there an archive of old models anywhere for comparison? I was somehow totally unaware WD received a remodel.

Witch Doctor didn't get a that major of a redesign, he got a new texture. It mainly change his face paint. A lot of heroes got minor things like that, like AM and Drow.

And I get stuck with Alechmist, who I have no clue how to play
Kirby's Guide To Alchemist:
Step One: Start with stun/Acid. Normally Stun.
Step Two: Get Soul Ring.
Step Three: Kill Fools.

You may interchange Step two and three.

Alchemist can be really aggressive in the early game with his stun and acid spay, and a Soul ring will allow him to spam them much more. Acid Spay can allow you to also get some last hits if the enemy won't let you get close, or farm jungle creeps if the lane is at the enemy tower. Once you get your ult, you are pretty safe with just using it to heal up and farm in the early game, where you really only need to start holding it back in the late game when you think a big team fight is about to go down.

Yess won a good game as Windrunner. Still trying to apply those stuns and powershot is actually hard, dunno why shes taken as a beginner character by the game :)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yess won a good game as Windrunner. Still trying to apply those stuns and powershot is actually hard, dunno why shes taken as a beginner character by the game :)

The people in charge of tutorials and guides aren't very in tune with what the game is about and what the newbie experience is like.

I swear they just picked heroes that had bot versions for the new hero pool. There's no junglers at all in the pool, for example, probably because there are no jungler bots. And yet Ursa is an incredibly easy hero and would have been fine in the pool, and honestly would have been better than some of the other heroes in the pool.

Centaur, Tusk, Keeper and Ursa could have been in the pool with no issues. Certainly easier than Venge or figuring out Sand King's ult. Keeper is like the simplest support in the entire game...

Haly

Tusk is definitely a poor choice for "beginner hero" but the others are okay.

Haly

Ice Shards has a tendency to trap your allies. Any spell like that should be kept out of the hands of newbies.

BraXzy

WTF. I just got in a game, the people on my team were between 100/200 wins. Their team were between 300/700 which you know sure, wins isn't everything but the experience gap their is surely stupid. Then their highest guy quits (Mainly because I think he plays Abaddon only and we were in single draft) straight away. Back to another 5 minute search, 2 minute wait and hopefully a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom