• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever owns the NeoGAF chat channel on Twitch: why would you turn on chat cooldown and turn off swearing?

edit: never mind, no chat cooldown, bring back swearing

Different game, different goals, different objectives. The existence of Virtua Fighter doesn't make Marvel bad; it makes them different. The existence of Rock doesn't make Rap bad; it makes it different. Simply dismissing different design as bad design is sort of stunts the ability to understand the differences, why they exist and appreciate what each does unique or better than the other. It's really just sort of an sophomoric way to look at things, no? There are things that both games do better than each other. That's what's cool about them both.

Quoting DV since he's one of the few who seem to understand that LoL's designers are trying for a different style of game, instead of simply dismissing it as LoL being a game for kiddies who can't handle creep blocking/denying/stacking etc etc

Ya'll fuckers need Jesus. And ketchup Doritos.
Bo, please. First you dream about tentacles, now you're talking about ketchup Doritos.

Apparently they were Canada only? I would have thought that was an American or another weird country flavour.

also: was not expecting EHOME to get the shit kicked out of them by Korea. I do wonder if Korea winning a major LAN would cause more teams to pop up.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Different game, different goals, different objectives. The existence of Virtua Fighter doesn't make Marvel bad; it makes them different. The existence of Rock doesn't make Rap bad; it makes it different. Simply dismissing different design as bad design is sort of stunts the ability to understand the differences, why they exist and appreciate what each does unique or better than the other. It's really just sort of an sophomoric way to look at things, no? There are things that both games do better than each other. That's what's cool about them both.

I just don't like the way Riot writes their patch notes. I feel justifying and framing every change is detrimental to the game and leads to the community pigeonholing how they should play the game too much. People already are quick to follow early trends, being heavy handed in implying the direction trends should go ends up making the game more like what you think the community wants, and less what the community thinks the game should be.

Like, it their patch notes dropped the justification and simply said "The first wave of minions now ignore unit collision until reaching the outer turret", I think they would get less people mocking them. Don't tell the community that the mechanic was not fun, let them come up with their own feeling about mechanic and the change.

Quesa

Like, it their patch notes dropped the justification and simply said "The first wave of minions now ignore unit collision until reaching the outer turret", I think they would get less people mocking them.

I would prefer that to Valve's seeming indifference to their own game. I would rather think "I get why you did that, but I disagree" than "Why did you do this?"

I just don't like the way Riot writes their patch notes. I feel if you have to justify your changes and have to frame every change to ensure your intent get though to the user base is detrimental to the game.

Like, it their patch notes dropped the justification and simply said "The first wave of minions now ignore unit collision until reaching the outer turret", I think they would get less people mocking them.

You mean the same way that Valve drops their patch notes? Plenty of people mocked the decision to drop Huskar's magic resistance to 50%, Riki's reworked ult being a worse version of Ember's Sleight of Fist, etc. That's just in 6.86 alone, let's not forget the rubber band mechanics, etc.

You mean the same way that Valve drops their patch notes? Plenty of people mocked the decision to drop Huskar's magic resistance to 50%, Riki's reworked ult being a worse version of Ember's Sleight of Fist, etc. That's just in 6.86 alone, let's not forget the rubber band mechanics, etc.

The Dev's shouldn't try to justify nerfs to the community. If the change something and it becomes to egregious people will go crazy--see the CS:GO Revolver at launch--and they will definitely know. I actually like Riki's new ult btw.

Hylian7

I prefer the Valve method of patch notes, but not for the same reasons Kirby mentioned. I'd rather just have the straight up patch notes so it doesn't tell people how to play from the start and let the metas emerge naturally rather than by the patch notes saying "Well we did this so you can now do x and x".

The Dev's shouldn't try to justify nerfs to the community. If the change something and it becomes to egregious people will go crazy--see the CS:GO Revolver at launch--and they will definitely know. I actually like Riki's new ult btw.

Of course the community will always voice out their displeasure at something. No one's saying they won't do that. The difference between Valve and Riot's approach is that Riot is attempting to make an effort to explain why they make changes, versus Valve's approach of complete silence. The latter means you can only guess why they would think it'd be a good idea to push something like the CS:Go Revolver.

Hylian7

Of course the community will always voice out their displeasure at something. No one's saying they won't do that. The difference between Valve and Riot's approach is that Riot is attempting to make an effort to explain why they make changes, versus Valve's approach of complete silence. The latter means you can only guess why they would think it'd be a good idea to push something like the CS:Go Revolver.

And that's perfectly fine, let the players figure out the game instead of dictating how to play it.

It's just a different way of doing things, one that more transparently allows Riot to explain their game design philosophy rather than letting reddit/neogaf/4chan infer things from a raw list of changes.

It's honestly not really a big deal, the dev commentary doesn't accompany every minor change, and they're speaking to an audience that broadly agrees with where they're taking the game over the long run. Of course, if you're predisposed to thinking that the folks at Riot are a bunch of paternalistic douches appealing to the lowest common denominator and speaking condescendingly to their dumb playerbase, then that's likely what you'll see from their patch notes.

MOBA wars are entertaining, though.

a0807a2821e2c406cecdebdb631ec236.jpg
rubick stealing some good spells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom