• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.ZZZ

We've had issues with Ramzes666's keyboard at previous events. Some Valve people lobbied to bring him back for Shanghai, feeling that he deserved another chance. That was a mistake. Ramzes666's keyboard is an ass, and we won't be working with him again

kvk1

These "no more tournaments in China" posts are hilarious. People really eating into the narrative that you can't find a competent group of people to run a tournament in a country of 1.3 billion people, in which many other international, large-scale events are held constantly and without issue.

God forbid the problem might lie a little higher up in the food chain. You know, the company and individuals who are in charge of hiring, overseeing, and properly compensating the boots on the ground staff.

Wok

I thought people were happy with the compendium.

what? no
the compendiums is its own thing and you can watch the games for free without it.

You cannot cancel a major without giving something away as a commercial move.

If problems are not fixed tomorrow, Valve should do something.

These "no more tournaments in China" posts are hilarious. People really eating into the narrative that you can't find a competent group of people to run a tournament in a country of 1.3 billion people, in which many other international, large-scale events are held constantly and without issue.

God forbid the problem might lie a little higher up in the food chain. You know, the company and individuals who are in charge of hiring, overseeing, and properly compensating the boots on the ground staff.

I read it has to do with the Chinese mentality of "whatever money is not spent can be pocketed by the organizers". I don't know whether it is true.

Wok

you can watch the games for free without it.

Games can be watched without any caster' voices. So it is free, but it is not worth it with the bad audio, lagging video, and hour-long delays.

TCNwZ3o.png

At this point, I would rather watch the summaries by NoobFromUA.

NLih7aU.png

GorillaJu

Say what you will about this major. At least nahaz isnt there.

Another reason its shit. Nahaz is great.

I read it has to do with the Chinese mentality of "whatever money is not spent can be pocketed by the organizers". I don't know whether it is true.

Don't think that's really a Chinese exclusive thing. They do that in Japan too. Overcharge like crazy for entry fees, go as cheap as possible on expenses and pocket the difference.

gai_shain

They wont cancel the major rofl

also this!

Another reason its shit. Nahaz is great.

no mate.

valve sell you games for cheap and they have a client that is barely competent.

they truly are gods amongst men.

they made half life as well mate, that means theyre immune from any criticism.

Pretty much, DAC was completely fine. I'm sure this country blaming wouldn't have been happening if this event was held in the US or Western Europe.

edit: Nahaz is terrible

Wok

Pretty much, DAC was completely fine. I'm sure this country blaming wouldn't have been happening if this event was held in the US or Western Europe.

Do not make statements such as "i'm sure blah if blah". We are not talking about ifs here. We are talking about unwatchable games in a major event which is supposed to bring Dota2 and e-sport as a whole closer to a sport in the view of the public.

This is a big mess and this happens in China. Coincidence? Maybe.

What we get is just shame. I am not going to talk about e-sport to non-gamers, or Dota2 tournaments to LoL gamers... for the next months until we get a proper tournament.

Is this is a copy/paste?

It can become one.

kvk1

Do not make statements such as "i'm sure blah if blah". We are not talking about ifs here. We are talking about unwatchable games in a major event which is supposed to bring Dota2 and e-sport as a whole closer to a sport in the view of the public. What we get is just shame. I am not going to talk about e-sport to non-gamers, or Dota2 tournaments to LoL gamers.

Is this is a copy/paste?

So apparently different players and casters are getting really pissed off and taking to Twitter. Seen ODPixel, Swindle, Puppey, and Bonnie (not sure who that is) all complaining that things behind the scenes are even worse than expected.

Shinypogs

I think this has surpassed even the worst of the starcraft 2 tournaments that went wrong and several of them went horribly horribly wrong.

Speaking of starcraft I fucking miss Gomtv right now, I even kind of miss Kespa.

kionedrik

If I remember correctly, Frankfurt was under heavy fire in the beginning due to the lack of public, which was completely understandable due to the time and day of the week. On the technical side of things I don't remember any problem, neither do I recall any delays.

One thing is for certain, Malaysia's major will determine if we'll have this competitive format next year.

Nere

Phantom assassin made tranquil boots.......... I told her "traquil boots really?" and he answered "idiot first time playing pa" like its my fault for him not playing pa again and if you haven't played a hero again can't you just follow the dota suggested items? I doubt they suggest fucking tranquil boots for pa.

Phantom assassin made tranquil boots.......... I told her "traquil boots really?" and he answered "idiot first time playing pa" like its my fault for him not playing pa again and if you haven't played a hero again can't you just follow the dota suggested items? I doubt they suggest fucking tranquil boots for pa.

seriously this happens so fucking often in AR
"it's my first time playing XDDD"
yeah that doesn't excuse getting fucking phase boots on kotl

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Phase boots are great on KotL. Can't have the carries beating you to lane before you can blast the waves and get your Aghs.

manfestival

ITS A DIRTY GAME GabeN ITS A PERFECT WORLD GabeN I KICKED 2GD LIKE A PREGNANT GIRL GabeN AIN'T NO TELLIN WHAT I DO WITH MY PAPER GabeN AND WHEN IT COMES TO FIRING HOSTS GabeN I GOT A MAJOR GabeN

didn't they have that disastrous finals a couple of years ago?

whichever one had the casters work for like 16 hours straight and had those images of players turning around to look at the minimap on the big screen

Weren't there also a few events with clear examples of match fixing? Or at the very least quite a few examples of teams not even bothering to try in matches that weren't that important?

I had some 2k scrub ass Skywrath mid against me yesterday who would always leave the lane 5-10 seconds before the runes spawned and wait at the top rune to take it lmao. I don't know why that shit triggers me like it does but I honestly can't handle rune campers who skip creep waves of experience and last hits. It's so inefficient unless you get a super good rune that you can immediately turn into a kill or kills. Such a low percentage play.

Obviously, Sky has few means to push the wave but this guy didn't even try. Absolute dreadful.

I'm actually having a hard time thinking of a more disastrous live event in esports

the worst viewing experience I had was MLG Dallas way back when, but I can't think of an event as consistently bad as this one

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I dunno, I'm a 2GD fan and I've been more entertained by the Major today than I was by his time in the Host chair.

didn't they have that disastrous finals a couple of years ago?

whichever one had the casters work for like 16 hours straight and had those images of players turning around to look at the minimap on the big screen

quite a while

and theyve held huge tournaments around the world.

edit: im not saying thats the be all and end all,

just that feel its harsh, at this point, to put LoLs production in the same category as Valve's?

Of course can change if there has been awful tournaments.

I have to agree with this. I find some of the community's reaction insulting and I'm not sure why people harp so much on the country this tournament is failing in. A lot of stereotypization going on and frankly it's embarrassing. I've been to Shanghai a month ago and experienced very well organised events and past Chinese Dota tournaments weren't so bad either, think DAC. I don't see people slamming the US or any European country for shitting up tournaments but they rather direct their hate towards the production studio which is fair enough. Not sure why China can't get the same treatment.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i mean china organised the second best olympics of all time, i don;'t think there's any kjind of endemic cultural issue about organising events

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom