• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 2.0: The Return of the Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

I believe they mean like types of games (FPS, RPG, Puzzle, Platformer, etc.). It's been a while since I filled out the application, but they're mainly looking for someone who is knowledgeable about different categories. So, if someone comes up to you and asks, "I really like FPS games, what would you recommend?" you'll know what to say. They want you to be able to go "It's kind of like ________ or plays like ________."

They want you to be passionate and well-informed about upcoming titles in order to secure preorders. So, if someone's buying Call of Duty, you can say, "Yeah, the next one's coming out this fall, do you want to get on the list for it?" Stuff like that. They want you to be able to sell not only the products in store, but to also secure sales for upcoming titles.

Above everything else, customer service is #1. They want someone who is pleasant, well-informed, and a good team player. There are certain policies that you have to abide by without question, but the most important thing is doing what's best for the customer.

What position are you applying for? If you don't get it this time, try applying for the holiday season. That's what I did, and they just kept me on. I eventually got promoted to a keyholder position. The basic level is what they call a "game advisor". You're the one organizing and putting titles back out on the shelf, as well as cleaning the store and managing the register. You always work with a manager.

If you want to know more, shoot me a PM and I'll totally answer your questions.

This is much appreciated. Right now I'm just hoping that they're hiring for the summer.

Uh oh, top of page...*think, Zeemumu. You have to do something awesome for the top of the page.*

tumblr_mkneqiygxg1qasthro1_500.gif

This is much appreciated. Right now I'm just hoping that they're hiring for the summer.

To be honest, it's hard to get in for the summer. The holiday season is your best bet (apply in like September or October) for a position. They usually last until February or so, but there is a chance they'll keep you on if they like you and you do a good job. They kept me on because they needed people and I was the only holiday hire still around. Lol.

As for management positions, they like to promote from within the company, because you already have the training done. But I've seen people come in from outside, so there's a chance that you could be hired as a manager if there's an opening.

Oh, and MAKE SURE YOUR APPLICATION IS NEAT. There is NOTHING managers hate more than a messy application. It's like...their collective pet peeve.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I interned at a juvenile detention center, working with delinquent youth and the staff. It was pretty cool, although a bit depressing at times. My summer job was working with a police department to manage beach traffic and to write tickets. Taylor Swift said hi to me. It was pretty rad.

The problem is that there's no demand for research assistants here (I'm in Rhode Island). I can't really afford to move elsewhere on an intern's salary (if it's even paid), so I need a full time job. I was thinking about applying to a police department. I think I could get in, but I'm nervous.

I AM STRAIGHT UP SHADES OF GREEN GELATIN. I-it's not like I like h-her or a-anything...taylor senpai ;_;

You know, you've probably got a really solid shot at that police department position, your internship experience also sounds like it would help get you in there too. It's so weird that there isn't anything related to research, have you tried looking in your local government? Or maybe at your university, if just mainly for networking? I guess it all depends on what kind of job you're looking for within the field.

I AM STRAIGHT UP SHADES OF GREEN GELATIN. I-it's not like I like h-her or a-anything...taylor senpai ;_;

You know, you've probably got a really solid shot at that police department position, your internship experience also sounds like it would help get you in there too. It's so weird that there isn't anything related to research, have you tried looking in your local government? Or maybe at your university, if just mainly for networking? I guess it all depends on what kind of job you're looking for within the field.

You should join PopGAF, tbh. We could always use another Taylor fan. ;)

My local government is incredibly small. I would have to intern at the courthouse in Providence, which isn't a big deal, but I don't want to be a lawyer. My best bet is to, quite honestly, look outside of Rhode Island. The opportunities here are extremely limited, and I wouldn't mind moving. I'd miss it here, but I think it's for the best.

I didn't go for a run because I thought a downpour was imminent. 45 minutes later, still no rain.

I know that if I go now, it'll start when I'm in the middle of it.

i5PgJ0qhhoBpX.gif

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
You should join PopGAF, tbh. We could always use another Taylor fan. ;)

My local government is incredibly small. I would have to intern at the courthouse in Providence, which isn't a big deal, but I don't want to be a lawyer. My best bet is to, quite honestly, look outside of Rhode Island. The opportunities here are extremely limited, and I wouldn't mind moving. I'd miss it here, but I think it's for the best.

NO PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME, I already feel my mind slipping in here and the few times popGAF has leaked into OT makes me feel like I'm experiencing a live hallucination.

But yeah looking outside of your area is usually the safest bet, but also the hardest one to deal with. I got lucky that with what I studied (international relations / Econ) being really high in demand in the area I'm in (DC/MD/VA metro area) so I've really got to start not taking that for granted. But then again,the down side is I'm basically trapped here D:

y2dvd

So I asked for Friday off already, only for there to now be an inclement weather advisory in the city I was planning to go to. Owned!

zeemumu

Which one are you applying at? The City Walk one?

You should totally name drop me and see if they remember me.

Nah that's waay too far of a commute for a Part-Time job. There are a few local ones that I'm applying at. I have a Universal Studios Annual Pass though so I'd be glad to stop by there and namedrop for you the next time I go.

NO PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME, I already feel my mind slipping in here and the few times popGAF has leaked into OT makes me feel like I'm experiencing a live hallucination.

But yeah looking outside of your area is usually the safest bet, but also the hardest one to deal with. I got lucky that with what I studied (international relations / Econ) being really high in demand in the area I'm in (DC/MD/VA metro area) so I've really got to start not taking that for granted. But then again,the down side is I'm basically trapped here D:

I'd love to live in D.C. It's so clean and nice. Maybe someday!

I'd pretty much go anywhere there's a job. I might apply for the Alaska state troopers lol.

Toa TAK

Banned
Washington DC is the only thing I miss about leaving VA. Moreso the history and museums.

Nah that's waay too far of a commute for a Part-Time job. There are a few local ones that I'm applying at. I have a Universal Studios Annual Pass though so I'd be glad to stop by there and namedrop for you the next time I go.
Ha! I hated asking peeps for their annual passes, such a pain in the ass.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'd love to live in D.C. It's so clean and nice. Maybe someday!

I'd pretty much go anywhere there's a job. I might apply for the Alaska state troopers lol.

Alaska state troopers eh? So is that like the Night's Watch but in real life? Fighting the winter and the wildlings? Sounds pretty cool.

Northwest DC is pristine, places like Georgetown are just awesome, as is the area by the national mall and Arlington cemetery, as well as all the high fashion areas, but DC has it's grimy spots too.

I remember last summer one of the interns at my office came from Cologne, Germany. She insisted that she be given a tour of Anacostia (shittiest place in DC) so one of my coworkers gave her the phone number for a police officer friend and he took her out on patrol.

It was really funny how the following Monday the first thing she said was in her really thick German accent "IT WAS SO COOL, REALL SCARY BUT SO COOL!"

That woman had some interesting thrill seeking habits.

zeemumu

Washington DC is the only thing I miss about leaving VA. Moreso the history and museums.

Ha! I hated asking peeps for their annual passes, such a pain in the ass.

I've only used my pass twice since I got it, and the first time was the day that I got it. When I went back the second time last month, the back of my pass with the barcode was faded as hell, so the woman at the front had me go to guest relations and get it replaced. When they reprinted it, the new pass changed the expiration date to next year when it's supposed to be this year, and I thought that they charged me for that somehow because I bought the pass ticket online the first time, but when I asked them about it they said that I wasn't charged and that it just printed weird so I have extra time. So yeah, I have another free year of Universal now, apparently.

Alaska state troopers eh? So is that like the Night's Watch but in real life? Fighting the winter and the wildlings? Sounds pretty cool.

Northwest DC is pristine, places like Georgetown are just awesome, as is the area by the national mall and Arlington cemetery, as well as all the high fashion areas, but DC has it's grimy spots too.

I remember last summer one of the interns at my office came from Cologne, Germany. She insisted that she be given a tour of Anacostia (shittiest place in DC) so one of my coworkers gave her the phone number for a police officer friend and he took her out on patrol.

It was really funny how the following Monday the first thing she said was in her really thick German accent "IT WAS SO COOL, REALL SCARY BUT SO COOL!"

That woman had some interesting thrill seeking habits.

Yeah, kind of like the Night's Watch, but with fewer direwolves and more drugs.

That's pretty funny, ride alongs can be fun though!

Well, that was nice. It didn't even pour. Just a light shower for a bit.

I didn't melt obvi.

I don't believe you, witch.

Wazzy

Banned
Level 69 and I've got all of the persona's to fuse Yoshitsune. I just need to grind more so I can actually create it. :(

Damn level requirements.

Acid08

Banned
Level 69 and I've got all of the persona's to fuse Yoshitsune. I just need to grind more so I can actually create it. :(

Damn level requirements.
Ha, you gained tons of levels. Where have you been grinding?

VLR is super cool so far btw. Well everything except the fucking awful mouth animations. Their mouths move like Muppets mouths.

Wazzy

Banned
Ha, you gained tons of levels. Where have you been grinding?

VLR is super cool so far btw. Well everything except the fucking awful mouth animations. Their mouths move like Muppets mouths.
I've been grinding in Heaven. It gives a lot of experience from normal kills and the golden hands are instant level up. :D

I'm 71 now so just 1 more level and imma finish Slinks, fuse Yoshitsune and finish the dungeon. I've been grinding and haven't had to rest due to SP recovery wooo

Nice! Keep me updated on VLR.

Pop-GAF is great. I was worried when I first started posting there, but now I can't imagine ever stopping.
I've been grinding in Heaven. It gives a lot of experience from normal kills and the golden hands are instant level up. :D

I'm 71 now so just 1 more level and imma finish Slinks, fuse Yoshitsune and finish the dungeon. I've been grinding and haven't had to rest due to SP recovery wooo

Try not to squee too much the first time you use "Hassou Tobi" with Yoshitsune.

I couldn't contain myself, personally.

Acid08

Banned

VLR

Clover and Alice :D. Clover's new design is kinda weird.

Also weird thing so far: did 999 really take place in 2027? Clover said that the other Nonary Game took place a year ago and VLR is in 2028. I can't remember if they ever said what year it was in 999 but that just doesn't seem right to me.

Otherwise the cast seems cool. Sigma is way more of a muscle dude than you usually see out of a Japanese game. Although I guess he's supposed to be from California? That's where he was kidnapped. I like K a lot so far too. Quark's I WANT TO DIE freakout was crazy. Also dead old woman.

Turin

Banned
Oh yeah, I've seen those guys play before. Kind of emo, pop-punk nonsense, but pretty cool for what they are. The chick who sings is all kinds of dreamy.

But seriously, if you dig their energy live (they are an awesome live band I don't care what anyone says, so tight and enthusiastic) you should check out Marmozets. I heard them last month, was quite impressed. Similar poppy punk stuff, maybe not quite so saccharine with the strained vocal and shifting time signatures. They remind me a little of The Subways but with more interesting ideas and a more talented singer. I like it, it creams my corn.

Marmozets - Why Do You Hate Me? (video)

Marmozets - Why Do You Hate Me? (live - 100 Club)

Black and white stripey top, deep red hair and a spunky attitude; she's like the little lady circa 2008.

:D

I'll check them out. I need to be in the right mood as stupid as that sounds. I takes me a few listen throughs before I can adjust.

One band that frustrates me is Lacuna Coil. They could be a lot better if not for that male singer who's voice doesn't blend at all with Cristina Scabbia's.

It's raining. My favorite kind of day. :)

Love me some rain as well. You might like this. It gets me in a chill mood.

I didn't go for a run because I thought a downpour was imminent. 45 minutes later, still no rain.

I know that if I go now, it'll start when I'm in the middle of it.

i5PgJ0qhhoBpX.gif

I fucking hate that shit. It feels like I'm wearing a weighted suit out there.

Light rain is fun though. Light snow as well if your dressed right.

TrueGrime

I need Alien Isolation in my veins right now. Watched the first movie the other night (and the two hour behind the scenes) just to refresh my memory.

I need Alien Isolation in my veins right now. Watched the first movie the other night (and the two hour behind the scenes) just to refresh my memory.

I think it's gonna underwhelm, personally, but I'm still going to give it a chance because

1. It looks really pretty
2. I love Alien/Aliens
3. It's in a genre that hardly gets any high budget games anymore.

Wazzy

Banned
Alright got my persona and I finished the Marie Slink. Gonna work on a couple others and then I'll beat the dungeon on the 21st.

TrueGrime

I think it's gonna underwhelm, personally, but I'm still going to give it a chance because

1. It looks really pretty
2. I love Alien/Aliens
3. It's in a genre that hardly gets any high budget games anymore.

I hear ya. I don't know why it's so difficult to make a decent Alien(s) game. ACM really put a bad taste in my mouth man. I'm hoping Aliens Isolation is good because it'll be the last time I touch an Alien game if I'm disappointed. The franchise has been run into the ground both game and movie wise and has yet to go out gracefully in either sense.

What did you think of Prometheus?

Turin

Banned
Alien: Isolation looks promising but it might turn out to be hollow.

Loved the first Alien. I also really enjoyed Prometheus, haters be damned.

TrueGrime

Alien: Isolation looks promising but it might turn out to be hollow.

Loved the first Alien. I also really enjoyed Prometheus, haters be damned.

I didn't think it was bad at all. I might have been expecting a little more but I certainly wasn't disgusted. I don't think the movie did well enough for a sequel though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom